GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: JasonPratt on January 29, 2016, 01:37:56 PM

Title: Order of Battle: Morning Sun
Post by: JasonPratt on January 29, 2016, 01:37:56 PM
So, I heard from an advertisement somewhere that it's out now.  >:D

I've been meh about picking up the first game thanks to very mixed reviews, but I'm interested in this due at least to its unique setting; and maybe the engine will work better here...? Although on the other hand, this isn't a standalone game, but an expansion, so -- if the base game is dubious, even if this is good would that make enough difference to necessarily invest in both?

Anyway, here's a thread for first-adopters to tell the rest of us your thoughts.
Title: Re: Order of Battle: Morning Sun
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 29, 2016, 01:42:18 PM
Purchased due to the subject. Have not played yet. Hopefully this weekend.
Title: Re: Order of Battle: Morning Sun
Post by: Gusington on January 29, 2016, 02:17:34 PM
I would have loved the original game if not for the heavy scripting. But because of that I can only say it was 'good.' I am also very interested in the setting ao like JH may get it at discount just for that.
Title: Re: Order of Battle: Morning Sun
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 29, 2016, 02:23:54 PM
Quote from: Gusington on January 29, 2016, 02:17:34 PM
I would have loved the original game if not for the heavy scripting. But because of that I can only say it was 'good.' I am also very interested in the setting ao like JH may get it at discount just for that.

They are in the process of developing a skirmish mode that will have AI that is not scripted.
Title: Re: Order of Battle: Morning Sun
Post by: Crossroads on January 29, 2016, 02:32:25 PM
NATO counters?
Title: Re: Order of Battle: Morning Sun
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 29, 2016, 03:47:45 PM
Quote from: Crossroads on January 29, 2016, 02:32:25 PM
NATO counters?

No. Not yet. I believe they are working on it.
Title: Re: Order of Battle: Morning Sun
Post by: jomni on January 29, 2016, 06:05:52 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 29, 2016, 03:47:45 PM
Quote from: Crossroads on January 29, 2016, 02:32:25 PM
NATO counters?

No. Not yet. I believe they are working on it.

The NATO counters are drool-worthy!!!!  The best I've seen.

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.the-artistocrats.com%2Fimages%2Fscreenshots%2FOOBP%2Fcounters2D.jpg&hash=a3392d62ecde72b18875c4e0c9a598114aa1af2c)

Title: Re: Order of Battle: Morning Sun
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 29, 2016, 06:23:19 PM
Do you know ETA on when they will be ready?
Title: Re: Order of Battle: Morning Sun
Post by: jomni on January 29, 2016, 07:00:33 PM
Nope
Title: Re: Order of Battle: Morning Sun
Post by: Swatter on January 29, 2016, 09:28:55 PM
One of the cool pros about Unity is the ability create cool effects (like realistic looking counters) fairly easily. The game had a 2D mode all along, not sure why the counters are taking so long. One of the cons of Unity is that modding is more difficult, which I imagine is why you haven't seen any counter mods.
Title: Re: Order of Battle: Morning Sun
Post by: bbmike on January 29, 2016, 09:42:46 PM
I know they are working on Vassal 4. I hope it looks like that.  8)
Title: Re: Order of Battle: Morning Sun
Post by: Crossroads on January 30, 2016, 02:22:46 AM
Quote from: Swatter on January 29, 2016, 09:28:55 PM
One of the cool pros about Unity is the ability create cool effects (like realistic looking counters) fairly easily. The game had a 2D mode all along, not sure why the counters are taking so long. One of the cons of Unity is that modding is more difficult, which I imagine is why you haven't seen any counter mods.

Well they shouldn't have put such a teaser in place if they're not going to implement it  :knuppel2:

This boardgamegeek buys in the second they have the boardgame counters  :smitten:
Title: Re: Order of Battle: Morning Sun
Post by: Boggit on January 30, 2016, 02:50:52 PM
I've just added it to my OOB Pacific game, but haven't yet got around to actually playing it. It looks like a lot of content has been added though.
Title: Re: Order of Battle: Morning Sun
Post by: airboy on February 04, 2016, 10:47:51 AM
Has anyone played this enough to have an opinion?  I'm really interested in the historical campaign and would like an interesting simulation that does not require a massive time investment like War in the Pacific.

With all of the hours I'm putting in at work, buying the base platform and this expansion is not a major expense.  It could happily collect dust on the shelf until I step down from management in December!
Title: Re: Order of Battle: Morning Sun
Post by: DicedT on February 04, 2016, 12:04:19 PM
How does this differ from Panzer General?
Title: Re: Order of Battle: Morning Sun
Post by: berto on February 04, 2016, 03:34:50 PM
Quote from: Crossroads on January 30, 2016, 02:22:46 AMThis boardgamegeek buys in the second they have the boardgame counters  :smitten:

For this boardgame geek, 2D with NATO counters is a necessary but not sufficient condition for me buying this game.  No 2D, NO SALE.
Title: Re: Order of Battle: Morning Sun
Post by: jomni on February 04, 2016, 07:48:02 PM
Quote from: DicedT on February 04, 2016, 12:04:19 PM
How does this differ from Panzer General?

More detailed supply rules. Matters a lot during those island invasions.
Title: Re: Order of Battle: Morning Sun
Post by: Boggit on February 04, 2016, 07:57:07 PM
Quote from: jomni on February 04, 2016, 07:48:02 PM
Quote from: DicedT on February 04, 2016, 12:04:19 PM
How does this differ from Panzer General?

More detailed supply rules. Matters a lot during those island invasions.
+1. As Jomni says. There are other factors that are more advanced like the flanking rules for example. Think of it as a prettier, more advanced version of Pacific General. I've enjoyed the little I've played of it - about 7 scenarios.
Title: Re: Order of Battle: Morning Sun
Post by: Gusington on February 04, 2016, 07:59:40 PM
Me too but he scripting...there should really be more than one way to win a scenario.
Title: Re: Order of Battle: Morning Sun
Post by: Boggit on February 04, 2016, 08:12:17 PM
Quote from: Gusington on February 04, 2016, 07:59:40 PM
Me too but he scripting...there should really be more than one way to win a scenario.
Oh, I'm with you there. Scripting has its place, but as you say some flexibility as to how you win is always good.
Title: Re: Order of Battle: Morning Sun
Post by: Gusington on February 04, 2016, 08:17:05 PM
Yeah at least two ways to win scenarios would be most welcome here and crack this game open.
Title: Re: Order of Battle: Morning Sun
Post by: jomni on February 04, 2016, 08:17:43 PM
It's no better than Panzer General / Corps. Thight timelines too. But not as tight as Panzer General.
Title: Re: Order of Battle: Morning Sun
Post by: Gusington on February 04, 2016, 08:23:43 PM
Yeah. Almost feels like a puzzle game, in a way.