GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: MetalDog on February 12, 2016, 06:28:21 AM

Title: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: MetalDog on February 12, 2016, 06:28:21 AM



Through the generosity of one of our own, I have come into possession of the Charlemagne DLC for Crusader Kings 2.  And it's pretty boss.  In ten years as Charlemagne, I have had revolts of my vassals, attacks from pagan kings, and the (suspicious) death of my brother, giving me control of two kingdoms.  Three times I have stared defeat in the face as armies rampaged through my lands.  Only through the superior skill of my ruler and his friends, Roland and Ogier the Dane, have I managed to survive and even thrive.  I crowned myself Emperor on August 8, 779.  Now, let the world tremble!
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: Anguille on February 12, 2016, 07:38:22 AM
Sounds excellent....and a lot of work! Well done for surviving so far.

Looks that i'll play:

- Sid Meier's Pirates with the kids (they just love the battles)
- Grand Ages Rome...slowly but surely progressing in the campaign
- Continue my new campaign in Horizon with the Gargals. I seem to be making ok so far, the Barsig have the biggest empire and are my allies, the Tantik are far far away (and i really hate them), the Humans and the Kuntari have been ok so far. I have just some problems with the Lezgoons which is a pity cos i usually like them.
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: Barthheart on February 12, 2016, 07:59:19 AM
Long weekend here. Monday is Family Day.

PBEM DC3 with Jason.... trying to break out near Minsk  >:D
PBEM Wing Leader with SDR... trying to finally sink the Lexington.  >:D

Maybe some Civ IV... If MD and Tuna are around.
Maybe some CiV ... been playing King level on scrambled Earth with 15 AIs... great challenge (read: getting my arse handed to me).

Some new VASSAL work.

Not much work on the car this weekend and it's supposed to be stupid cold... -23C for the high on Saturday!  :idiot2:
Convert more CDs to electronic files as my 400 disc player finally died.  :'(

Making a fancy dinner for my wife on Sunday night for Valentines Day.  :smitten:
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: Bison on February 12, 2016, 08:01:12 AM
Working on my flux capacitor and gravity wave gun.
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: mirth on February 12, 2016, 08:49:15 AM
Quote from: Bison on February 12, 2016, 08:01:12 AM
Working on my flux capacitor and gravity wave gun.

Take care of the flux capacitor first. Then go forward in time to when you have the gravity wave gun finished.
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: tgb on February 12, 2016, 08:53:30 AM
More XCOM 2 and more testing of Victory and Glory
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on February 12, 2016, 09:25:34 AM
Trying to decide whether to continue with Mad Max or start Homeworld Remastered. In the meantime trying to kick this head cold and decide what myself and MiniGus 1 and 2 are cooking for The Wife for Valentines dinner.
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: mirth on February 12, 2016, 09:36:24 AM
Quote from: Gusington on February 12, 2016, 09:25:34 AM
Trying to decide whether to continue with Mad Max or start Homeworld Remastered.

Just go buy Deserts of Kharak and get it over with.
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: MengJiao on February 12, 2016, 09:36:52 AM
Quote from: Bison on February 12, 2016, 08:01:12 AM
Working on my flux capacitor and gravity wave gun.

   I'm sort of doing the same thing with a Navy Brig in Naval Action.  So some of that and maybe some board games.
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: Rayfer on February 12, 2016, 09:55:31 AM
I'm still hooked on WitP:AE....I think I've graduated from total newbie to beginner, but there's still lots to learn.  For in between, lighter fun I got episode 1 of Life is Strange....the unfolding story is gripping and now wish I'd gotten the package of all episodes.
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: Bison on February 12, 2016, 09:59:59 AM
Quote from: mirth on February 12, 2016, 08:49:15 AM
Quote from: Bison on February 12, 2016, 08:01:12 AM
Working on my flux capacitor and gravity wave gun.

Take care of the flux capacitor first. Then go forward in time to when you have the gravity wave gun finished.

I trying not to have my scientific and engineering research brilliance waylaid by the seductive powers of Mario Cart, Super Smash Bros, and the siren song calling me to purchase Monster Hunter 3 or Xenoblade. 
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: mirth on February 12, 2016, 10:01:45 AM
Quote from: Bison on February 12, 2016, 09:59:59 AM
Quote from: mirth on February 12, 2016, 08:49:15 AM
Quote from: Bison on February 12, 2016, 08:01:12 AM
Working on my flux capacitor and gravity wave gun.

Take care of the flux capacitor first. Then go forward in time to when you have the gravity wave gun finished.

I trying not to have my scientific and engineering research brilliance waylaid by the seductive powers of Mario Cart, Super Smash Bros, and the siren song calling me to purchase Monster Hunter 3 or Xenoblade. 

Screw the flux capacitor. Buy Xenoblade.
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: Bison on February 12, 2016, 10:03:15 AM
Quote from: mirth on February 12, 2016, 10:01:45 AM
Quote from: Bison on February 12, 2016, 09:59:59 AM
Quote from: mirth on February 12, 2016, 08:49:15 AM
Quote from: Bison on February 12, 2016, 08:01:12 AM
Working on my flux capacitor and gravity wave gun.

Take care of the flux capacitor first. Then go forward in time to when you have the gravity wave gun finished.

I trying not to have my scientific and engineering research brilliance waylaid by the seductive powers of Mario Cart, Super Smash Bros, and the siren song calling me to purchase Monster Hunter 3 or Xenoblade. 

Screw the flux capacitor. Buy Xenoblade.

I do deserve an early Valentines present from the person who loves me most in the world...me!
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: mirth on February 12, 2016, 10:06:14 AM
I like your thinking. I'm going to need to make a Valentine's Day purchase for myself.
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: FlickJax on February 12, 2016, 10:18:36 AM
Gal Civ 111, Wot and Marvel Puzzle Quest exciting eh
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: Huw the Poo on February 12, 2016, 10:39:52 AM
Wurm Online of course.  My breeding programs continue apace, and the academy is now overflowing with piggies, horses, sheepies, and those things that go moooo.  Looks like I might have a couple of fellow noobs to look after too. \o/

Euro Truck Simulator 2 - playing ATS has really got me back into this one, which I'm happy to play while more content is developed for ATS.  Nearly got enough cash to open a second garage. :)
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: Huw the Poo on February 12, 2016, 10:41:13 AM
By the way MetalDog, I really enjoyed that song!  Gonna go find some more now. O0
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: Sir Slash on February 12, 2016, 11:00:49 AM
I got my V. Day chores covered early so I can just sit back and soak-up the Love. Closing-in on a victory in DC Case Blue where Stalingrad just fell and the ungrateful High Command then wanted me to go after Astrakan. But with enough Political Points saved-up, I told them to screw that-- diplomatically of course. I need Krasnodar and some little Podunk town south of there for the win. And about 6 turns to do it in. My favorite Stra-tee-gery game.
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: MetalDog on February 12, 2016, 11:20:59 AM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on February 12, 2016, 10:41:13 AM
By the way MetalDog, I really enjoyed that song!  Gonna go find some more now. O0

Glad you liked it, Huw!  Chevelle has some other really good songs, The Red, Send the Pain Below, Face to the Floor, Hats Off to the Bull, The Clincher, et al.  Hope you dig those, too :)
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: IronX on February 12, 2016, 11:27:07 AM
Launching a second campaign of X-Com 2 and will attempt to follow JP and SAD's strategic advice. Jackskull, Jackskull, Jackskull...

A few Steel Beasts tutorials to try and get up to speed with the Leo 2.

Some CM Black Sea and Normandy to fill in the gaps.

Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: Huw the Poo on February 12, 2016, 11:50:37 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on February 12, 2016, 11:20:59 AM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on February 12, 2016, 10:41:13 AM
By the way MetalDog, I really enjoyed that song!  Gonna go find some more now. O0

Glad you liked it, Huw!  Chevelle has some other really good songs, The Red, Send the Pain Below, Face to the Floor, Hats Off to the Bull, The Clincher, et al.  Hope you dig those, too :)

Nice, I'll try 'em all over the weekend.  Thanks mate.
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: JasonPratt on February 12, 2016, 04:41:55 PM
Hoping Barth gets distracted by his wife this weekend so I don't have to deal with him breaking through past Minsk at last in DC3:Barba.

Trying to get my XCOM2 campaign to and through the next stage of the plot.

Trying to ignore my crushing existential loneliness of not having a sweetheart for some day this weekend, by smothering to death slowly on not-Mars in Empyrion. Maybe. Come to think of it, maybe that isn't a good idea.

I may need to mess around with a shooter. Still haven't finished Far Cry 4, so there's that...

Alternately, find someone to buy my first load of textiles in Evochron.
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: bob48 on February 12, 2016, 05:00:16 PM
Quote from: Bison on February 12, 2016, 08:01:12 AM
Working on my flux capacitor and gravity wave gun.

...you mean still haven't finished it yet?
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on February 12, 2016, 06:24:46 PM
Anyone see Deserts of Kharak on sale yet?
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: mirth on February 12, 2016, 06:28:19 PM
Quote from: Gusington on February 12, 2016, 06:24:46 PM
Anyone see Deserts of Kharak on sale yet?

You need a Valentine's present too.
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: Bison on February 12, 2016, 06:32:36 PM
Mine is downloaded and installed.  Tonight I will begin my exploits in xenoblade.
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on February 12, 2016, 06:37:23 PM
My Valentine's present will be kicking this head cold.
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: jamus34 on February 12, 2016, 06:45:04 PM
Quote from: Gusington on February 12, 2016, 06:37:23 PM
My Valentine's present will be kicking this head cold.

+1

I have a bottle of 12 yr Tullamore DEW that is just sitting waiting for me to get healthy to enjoy.
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: mirth on February 12, 2016, 06:46:12 PM
Quote from: jamus34 on February 12, 2016, 06:45:04 PM
Quote from: Gusington on February 12, 2016, 06:37:23 PM
My Valentine's present will be kicking this head cold.

+1

I have a bottle of 12 yr Tullamore DEW that is just sitting waiting for me to get healthy to enjoy.

Now that's how you treat a cold.
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: bbmike on February 12, 2016, 06:51:04 PM
My Valentine is leaving me home alone this long weekend!  :o
So there will be pizza, beer, scotch, computer games, movies, and at some point dice will be hitting the table.  8)
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on February 12, 2016, 06:57:46 PM
Oh what I would give to be alone, just for a day!

Jamus' thinking is solid as well 😀
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: mirth on February 12, 2016, 06:59:59 PM
I have my kids all weekend. Fortunately they're just fine with video games and Marvel movies.
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: Sir Slash on February 12, 2016, 11:12:40 PM
Take tomorrow off Gus. We'll fill in for you making pertinent observations and thoughtful comments while slickly working sexual references into each topic. (.)(.)  But be back on Sunday. This could get out of hand.
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on February 12, 2016, 11:28:38 PM
Is 'out of hand' a slick sexual reference?
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: Bison on February 13, 2016, 01:22:24 AM
Sweet baby peas.  Xenoblade is an epic game.  For someone who grew up loving Robotech, I cannot wait to get a skelle and kicks some alien ass. 
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: Toonces on February 13, 2016, 10:03:01 AM
For some strange reason I've been revisiting Skyrim.  I'm sure I'll be spending a bit of time with that tonight.

Also looking at some Madden 25 on the Xbox, and if I can find a Gamestop nearby I'd like to pick up an NHL game.
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: Sir Slash on February 13, 2016, 10:31:42 AM
Yes Gus. That was me filling-in for you though I could never take your place. That's my Missionary in life, to help out a fellow in need and try for a Happy Ending.
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on February 13, 2016, 10:35:36 AM
^Ambitious.
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: JasonPratt on February 13, 2016, 11:16:52 AM
So, after working out my gaming plans, I threw them completely away last night and instead started and finished a short 3D/2D platforming game called Contrast which I had picked up on deep sale sometime in the past, mainly because I liked the Noirish (but colorful) art style. In this, I was not disappointed. (I was disappointed in the eventual explanation for the fantasy mechanics, but only because the explanation explicitly makes anti-sense in relation to what has been going on the whole game. I won't spoil the plot or explanation, just in case, but be prepared to go THAT LITERALLY COULD NOT POSSIBLY HAVE BEEN WHAT I'VE BEEN DOING THE WHOLE GAME! I guess I'll interpret it as a child making up an explanation in a pre-sleep daydream that never really happened, for which there was some evidence in-story, but which is also annoying in its own way.)

Ahem.

Anyway, voice-acting and animations and things like that were outstanding. The fact that I played this on some weekend the holiday of which I habitually do my best to ignore, is almost certainly pertinent, too.  :buck2: Back to doing non-romantic things.
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: Kushan on February 13, 2016, 02:09:08 PM
Been playing Diablo 3 almost exclusively this week. Started a season demon hunter last weekend and hit level 70 a few days ago. Have 4 of the 6 pieces for the free set you get from completing the season journey. This seasons demon hunter set is the "melee" focused shadow stalker set. Unlike the majority I really don't want a melee demon hunter but you get it by doing stuff you would be doing anyway so I really can't complain.

I may start a season wizard. i played one last season, but this is the first season they are doing a free set for each class and I really like the fire set the wizard gets.

I've also got CMANO, Elite, Crusader Kings 2, and Aurora on deck for when I need a break from Diablo.
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: Dammit Carl! on February 13, 2016, 04:58:18 PM
Cold and flu medicine has made me too disjointed to string together coherent sentences much less play anything.  If compy is fired up, then it's going to be some low effort shooter; L4D2 probably.  Maybe I'll just go on a rant on WoT twits, I don't know.
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on February 13, 2016, 05:46:10 PM
Feel better, I am right there with you.
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: airboy on February 14, 2016, 10:00:53 PM
I finished Knights of Pen and Paper 2 - a beer & pretzels game if there ever was one.

I'm reading the manual and playing with Morning Sun which is an add-on for Order of Battle: Pacific.

Soviet Corps comes out later this week.
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: Nefaro on February 15, 2016, 12:11:37 AM
Quote from: Gusington on February 13, 2016, 05:46:10 PM
Feel better, I am right there with you.

I sympathize with you guys.  Have had multiple illnesses this past month.  Seems like it's unending this winter.   :tickedoff:

Hope you recover from the Great Bio Attack Of '15-'16 quickly.
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: JasonPratt on February 15, 2016, 12:01:33 PM
I may have reached the point where I'm about tired of XC2, even though I haven't beaten the game yet. I expect I'll keep plugging at it this week, but I'm increasingly feeling like getting back into my AAR projects.

And that was before I saw the Reader's Choice Awards category.  :D I spent this morning while waking up trying to plot out what I needed to do for my next stage in Empyrion.
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on February 15, 2016, 03:56:19 PM
I am now almost 100%...just some mucus-y remnants. Thought you would like to know.

20 hours in to Mad Max as well and now I think I am ready for a switch...Homeworld Remastered or Attila TW Age of Charlemagne as the Danes...
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: Sir Slash on February 15, 2016, 10:40:18 PM
I got in some quality time with Pillars of Eternity this weekend. This game continues to impress me. My current quest is the typical, "Find the Ruins before the Bad Guys do" type and get the Whatever-Thing. And avoid the Locals who worship it.

When you go to the area, the first thing you run into is a bunch of the locals guarding a bridge. None of the dialog choices will get you past them without a fight and so I try to find a way around them. No luck.

What am I supposed to do, give-up and come back later? Or just kill my way everywhere? After a second more detailed look around, I find a well concealed path that leads to a fallen bridge that you can jump across if you have the right equipment, that leads into the Ruins by a secret entrance.

I like the fact this game gives me an alternative to just fighting everything and doesn't make it too easy to find-- that I had to work a little bit to figure it out. As long as it's just a little.
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on February 16, 2016, 09:39:32 AM
It's definitely a fine balance in all games between a little work and a lot of work, making the game less fun.
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: mikeck on February 17, 2016, 08:52:43 PM
It's a great game. The only thing that annoys me about RPGs are the damn puzzles. Move the left pillar to the serpent...move the right pillar to the bird.
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on February 17, 2016, 08:56:07 PM
I stink at puzzles. Which is a puzzle within itself because I'm married. Figure that one out!
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: Sir Slash on February 17, 2016, 10:48:46 PM
Yes, there is no Clue Book for marriage. Some puzzles are just beyond being solved.
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: JasonPratt on February 18, 2016, 08:33:28 AM
Quote from: Gusington on February 17, 2016, 08:56:07 PM
I stink at puzzles. Which is a puzzle within itself because I'm married. Figure that one out!

A puzzle with benefits!  ^-^ :coolsmiley:
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: Barthheart on February 18, 2016, 08:37:05 AM
Quote from: JasonPratt on February 18, 2016, 08:33:28 AM
Quote from: Gusington on February 17, 2016, 08:56:07 PM
I stink at puzzles. Which is a puzzle within itself because I'm married. Figure that one out!

A puzzle with benefits!  ^-^ :coolsmiley:

Benefits which are only unlocked if you solve the puzzle.  :P
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on February 18, 2016, 08:41:13 AM
I solve it only...occasionally.
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: mirth on February 18, 2016, 08:42:13 AM
However, he regularly solves the riddle of himself.
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: Sir Slash on February 18, 2016, 11:48:18 AM
I make heroic attempts to solve the puzzle until my wife comes along and takes it away from me and solves it herself. And then thanks me for the effort.
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: JasonPratt on February 18, 2016, 04:33:01 PM
 :o :o :o :o

...I am not even going to try to work out the euphamism there...
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: Sir Slash on February 18, 2016, 11:11:00 PM
There are puzzles and then there are Puzzles.  :P
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: Boggit on February 18, 2016, 11:43:41 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on February 18, 2016, 11:11:00 PM
There are puzzles and then there are Puzzles.  :P
Just so long as there isn't a cross word... ^-^
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: bob48 on February 19, 2016, 02:40:42 PM
Quote from: Boggit on February 18, 2016, 11:43:41 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on February 18, 2016, 11:11:00 PM
There are puzzles and then there are Puzzles.  :P
Just so long as there isn't a cross word... ^-^

Its enough to get one down.
Title: Re: Take out the FRIDAY
Post by: Nefaro on February 19, 2016, 04:08:18 PM
Quote from: Boggit on February 18, 2016, 11:43:41 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on February 18, 2016, 11:11:00 PM
There are puzzles and then there are Puzzles.  :P
Just so long as there isn't a cross word... ^-^


(https://41.media.tumblr.com/24a6b648d642c5eec4bfd3b7a44aac56/tumblr_nvltefD46h1u3s3l3o1_500.jpg)