GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: acctingman on February 17, 2016, 11:20:01 AM

Title: Mods and Wargames
Post by: acctingman on February 17, 2016, 11:20:01 AM
Just a quick inquiry to the more knowledgeable folks out there.

Are there any WEGO/turn based ww2 games (tactical & smaller scale) that have mods? Mainly I'm looking for a game that has mods that would include other nations tanks and infantry.

I was looking at Panzer Command Ost Front but it just covers eastern europe. Game looks amazing and it's not real time (I think) but I don't see any mods for it that have US, British, Italian or Japanese units.

Is there a game that has all of this with mods?

Title: Re: Mods and Wargames
Post by: Pete Dero on February 17, 2016, 01:16:07 PM
Steel Panthers ?  This game already has OOB's and units for over 30 nations.

free version : http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Camo_Workshop/WW2/WW2_page.html

paid version (with mega-campaigns included) : http://www.matrixgames.com/store/297/Steel.Panthers:.World.at.War.-.Generals.Edition

Title: Re: Mods and Wargames
Post by: acctingman on February 17, 2016, 01:22:25 PM
Thanks Pete, but I should have stated I like the "look" of CM x2 and Panzer Command Ost Front. Not a fan of top down dated graphics.
Title: Re: Mods and Wargames
Post by: IronX on February 17, 2016, 01:38:29 PM
The only 3-D tactical WWII turn-based games that I can think of are the ones you've mentioned. There is also Graviteam's Eastern Front only series and the Theatre of War series, but they are not turn-based. Combat Mission sounds like your best bet and covers three of your four nations (ie not Japan). As far as mods go, however, they are limited to skins and sounds.
Title: Re: Mods and Wargames
Post by: jomni on February 17, 2016, 06:22:15 PM
If you're into squad level RTS.  Men of War: Assault Squad 2 has tons of mods.

It's got an amazing list which brings you to the Pacific theatre, Modern Era as well as Star Wars, Halo and Zombies, Civil War, American Revolution, etc.
Look at all the stuff this guys is playing with just Men of War.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DiplexHeatedHD
Title: Re: Mods and Wargames
Post by: acctingman on February 17, 2016, 11:17:23 PM
HOLY HELL

There is a Star Wars mod for MoW AS2?

How to you get those into the game? I'll have to dust off that game. I'm not a fan of RT ww2 games, but that star wars stuff is just too good not to try.

Thanks for that
Title: Re: Mods and Wargames
Post by: jomni on February 17, 2016, 11:50:33 PM
I actually don't have the game. And don't know where all the mods are at. I guess you can ask that you tuber where he gets the mods and how to install them.
Title: Re: Mods and Wargames
Post by: JasonPratt on February 18, 2016, 08:32:38 AM
I will add here that the mods for the CMx1 games are definitely NOT limited to only skins and sounds. Modded units can have their own individual stats. (Not counting new maps, terrain features, and things like that, which I am supposing was not the question.)

I don't know whether that's true about the CMx2&3 engine. I would be very surprised if it is.
Title: Re: Mods and Wargames
Post by: Boggit on February 18, 2016, 08:46:50 PM
Squad Battles also has a number of good free mods like Africa at War (Modern era combat for Pacific War) and some sound and graphic mods.

IIRC Ironx (who posted on this here thread) did an excellent Long War (Afghanistan US/Coalition), and Arab Israeli War mod that used to be up at TF Echo 4. (IIRC the Africa at War mod still is). I downloaded it a long while ago, but he might be able to direct you to where you can download it now.
Title: Re: Mods and Wargames
Post by: Boggit on February 19, 2016, 07:17:07 AM
Quote from: jomni on February 17, 2016, 11:50:33 PM
I actually don't have the game. And don't know where all the mods are at. I guess you can ask that you tuber where he gets the mods and how to install them.
IIRC they are at ModDb http://www.moddb.com/