I couldn't find the other thread, but in the meantime all of the tutorials are up. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoB0I-umXOM)
I haven't watched them yet, but I'm sure they'll tell you more about the game than I'm allowed to
I already watched the tactical battles tutorial at matrix, it was far better than I thought, it made the game seem like a good one to watch
Here was the other the thread you were looking for...
http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=15091.0
It will be interesting to see how this game turns out...
Hannibal:Rome & Carthage In The 2nd Punic War was a gem of a game. Hopefully this will reach the same standard.
Quote from: gameleaper on February 28, 2016, 03:09:26 PM
I already watched the tactical battles tutorial at matrix, it was far better than I thought, it made the game seem like a good one to watch
I enjoyed the battle video as well, and this may turn out being a really good game. But the main map, in my opinion, is quite ugly to look at. I hope they reconsider this aspect of the game.
Yes I am really looking forward to this. Hannibal really was an unique and challenging game that didn't seem to take off, and I am hoping this is of the same caliber. Agree on the drabness of the map from the screenshots, perhaps it looks better in-game? From reading the Slitherine forum, the devs are looking into MP and making the Allied side playable as well which would help popularity and longevity I think.
Well the steam page is up for it. And the release is in 24 hours, hopefully it wont be too expensive
Not sure about this one myself yet...but will be keeping an eye if it gets a lot of good feedback....as to price, I will make the guess of somewhere between $39-$49, but I have no clue:)
It is out now. http://store.steampowered.com/app/443020/
Now I am waiting on the board game version
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on March 16, 2016, 07:02:07 PM
Not sure about this one myself yet...but will be keeping an eye if it gets a lot of good feedback....as to price, I will make the guess of somewhere between $39-$49, but I have no clue:)
Currently $26.99
That's a nice surprise.
Sorry for a negative comment on what could well be a very good game, but...did they do anything to improve the look of the map?
No
It's not the best map I have ever seen, not the worse by any measure either. The map looks exactly like the one in the boardgame Napoleon in Europe, which received much praise.
(https://images.funagain.com/photo1/huge/12657.jpg)
Twitch stream is live : https://www.twitch.tv/slitherinegroup
Played a few turns and quite enjoyed it.
The AI is not passive. The British landed a large force in Denmark (while I was attacking Austria), and when I shifted Napoleons army to intercept them (after defeating Austria) as they moved South. The British evacuated their army be sea back to England. A few turns later they landed in Toulon. On my behalf I wasn't really focusing on the naval aspects of the game.
Not sure if ill get this one. Doesnt seem to offer a lot of gameplay options, which is fair considering its basically a board game
Quote from: Hofstadter on March 17, 2016, 04:23:51 PM
Not sure if ill get this one. Doesnt seem to offer a lot of gameplay options, which is fair considering its basically a board game
What options are you looking for?
Depth, for one thing.
That strategic map looks pretty simplistic, even for beer and pretzels.
It reminds me of the campaigns for pike and shot. Except it trades 3d battles for more strategic options.
I really dont like idea of two months per turn. Thats a bit much
EDIT: actually i might get this. Im kinda split on it 32 AUD is a lot less than i was expecting
Here is the 106 page manual. While obviously not as in depth as say Empires in Arms, the game so far is playable, the AI seems to be decent, and it is actually fun.
http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/443020/manuals/SLIT_NVaG_Materials_Manual_Ebook.pdf?t=1458230766
Yeah I'm not getting it. Its basically a simplified 2d version of Total War Napoleon
Quote from: Hofstadter on March 18, 2016, 01:55:36 AM
Yeah I'm not getting it. Its basically a simplified 2d version of Total War Napoleon
So Hannibal is a 2D simplified Total War Rome?
Cant really say since I've never seen it. But looking at this title. Simplified diplomacy, simplified battles, simplified movement. There doesnt seem to be anything to drag me in, in regards to its level of depth
I'm intrigued, as many times as i've tried to get into the time period and failed with other games, maybe simple is the way to go for me. Simple doesn't always mean a lack of depth and also AI 's are usually better in the less complex games which appeals to a SP gamer. I'll be keeping my eye on it.
I'm with you, Budd. Not everything I buy has to be War in the East. Sometimes I just want a game I can jump into and relax with. I picked this up yesterday, hoping to get some time into it over the weekend.
Quote from: Steelgrave on March 18, 2016, 07:35:38 AM
I'm with you, Budd. Not everything I buy has to be War in the East. Sometimes I just want a game I can jump into and relax with. I picked this up yesterday, hoping to get some time into it over the weekend.
post some impressions please when you get some play time.
Think we are hitting on something here. While it may not have the depth of a Napoleonic Game that has a 10000 hex map, and 15 pages of rules on creating the Confederation of the Rhine. This was a game that I was able to start playing almost immediately,having watched just a few videos. Also the AI is better due to the fact that there are not 10000 hexes or areas for it to decide where to move. The Hearts of Iron series to me is the epitome of a game with so much depth, and bells and whistles , that the AI has no idea how to use them effectively. Look at the latest AGEOD Napoleonic Game. Tons of depth, and lots of decisions to be made. Then read the forums and you will see many people just don't think the AI has the capability any more to effectively play the game, and that a new engine is needed.
So I actually find it refreshing to find a game that cuts out a lot of the minutia, to make it more playable, and AI friendly.
The board that sits "under" this game used to sit framed on my wall, so I'm certainly a bit biased, but the lack of MP is just KILLING me.
There are very few Napoleonic games that will not tempt me to a purchase. Some are grand (everything HPS/JTS and "March of Eagles") some are grand failures (Crown of Glory), and some have made me scratch my head (N:TW, AGEOD, Matrix's Empires in Arms, and the nonsense that was Commander: Napoleon at War). I here adjudge SoW:W a wondrous incomplete. They absolutely need not and should not be all the same difficulty and I'm liking this offering well enough for what it is. And am perturbed that there is no MP.
That said, 10,000 hexes? Seriously? And you call yourself a grog??!! By my math, the operational map for JTS: Leipzig sits at 490,000.
Quote from: Cyrano on March 18, 2016, 11:03:53 AM
The board that sits "under" this game used to sit framed on my wall, so I'm certainly a bit biased, but the lack of MP is just KILLING me.
There are very few Napoleonic games that will not tempt me to a purchase. Some are grand (everything HPS/JTS and "March of Eagles") some are grand failures (Crown of Glory), and some have made me scratch my head (N:TW, AGEOD, Matrix's Empires in Arms, and the nonsense that was Commander: Napoleon at War). I here adjudge SoW:W a wondrous incomplete. They absolutely need not and should not be all the same difficulty and I'm liking this offering well enough for what it is. And am perturbed that there is no MP.
That said, 10,000 hexes? Seriously? And you call yourself a grog??!! By my math, the operational map for JTS: Leipzig sits at 490,000.
Jim, if you get the boardgame version of this I'd gladly give it a try with you at Origins....even though it's a Nappy game. Looks very interesting......
This will be my next purchase. I've never gotten into the AEGOD system and the AI of HPS/JTS Napoleonic titles doesn't cut it.
And I have all the "depth" and complexity I need right now with Command.
Okay, I take back my earlier reservations, this game is bloody fun.
I've put in about four hours so far. I managed to get Napoleon killed in my first game but I'm doing better in my second ::) The game is eminently playable and lots of fun. I was able to jump into it right away, referring back to the manual as needed. The Napoleonic era isn't really my genre, but bottom line is I'm going back to play a few more hours before bedtime tonight.
I applaud any game that interests more grogs in the era. O0
After Mius front and Tigers on the Hunt i dont need you guys talking up another game. 3 at release in a month would be a record for me, not gonna do it. O i see there's a release discount.
Quote from: -budd- on March 18, 2016, 10:10:49 PM
After Mius front and Tigers on the Hunt i dont need you guys talking up another game. 3 at release in a month would be a record for me, not gonna do it. O i see there's a release discount.
I caved...still had my anniversary discount so basically got for $20:) Why not:)
Some of the graphics I've seen remind me of the graphics in Crown of Glory.
Posted up a gameplay and impressions video in the video thread
Quote from: Hofstadter on March 18, 2016, 09:12:38 PM
Okay, I take back my earlier reservations, this game is bloody fun.
Lol
@Barth: Won't be ready for Origins. Perhaps for GenCon. Glenn tells me putting the polish on V&G electronic closed that window.
Just so long as it's around for my birthday orgy of boardgames, no one suffers.
Although I am still learning the system, have to admit that I am pleasantly surprised so far. Not really sure I understand enough about the strategic layer to comment on that, but I do have a lot of fun playing out the tactical battles. Even on EASY setting, I am losing my fair share of battles, unless I just have a ton more units. I need to figure out how best to use my units during battles to maximize their effectiveness.
It would be interesting to see this type of setting for other Wars such as American Civil War, so hopefully they make enough money to even consider it:)
I was curious about the tactical battles and started watching the tutorials. Ended up watching all 7. Found myself wanting to control the battle myself as the tutorial went on. I found the tutorials very engrossing and ended up buying last night. Will start it up today.
My weekend gaming plans included Civ V, DC:Barbarrossa and giving N-V&G a try. I ended up playing nothing but N-V&G. The game reminds me of why I got into wargaming. The AI is challenging but fair and the three levels of complexity allow the player to choose how challenged he wants to be. It's not a groggy game where you will spend hours digging through the rules; it's meant to be playable and it's meant to be entertaining and it succeeds at both. I love the card system and the map takes me back to my cardboard gaming memories. It's a fun game with enough historical flavor and rules so you don't feel like it's WWII with different counters. I'm very pleased with it. And having won my first game last night as a lowly Corporal (albeit one with a Marshal's baton in my knapsack) I'm heading back in as a General.
Played the 1805 Campaign in a 5 hour marathon session on Friday. Wound up winning, but things started to get dicey in the end as the Coalition troops became of better quality.
A few tips that I can give.
1. Always keep a guard unit in reserve when Napoleon is commanding in a tactical battle. As long as there is a guard unit in reserve, Napoleon cant be killed in battle.
2. Do not attack Spain, not sure why you would even want to.
3. Ignore even trying to compete against Britain on the sea.
4. You should have 3 main armies. Napoleons, another one to contain the Austrians and help with any invasion of Russia, and one to protect France and the coastline against the pesky British invasions.
5. Sometime you will be able to surround and annihilate the British invasion forces, once they move inland. Because of Britains meager replacements, this combined with the Irish rebellion card can take Britain effectively out of the game for a large amount of time.
Really hoping that they give you the option to play as the British in the future.
On point 2, there are several good reasons:
-forming the Kingdom of Spain (getting Spain under your control) is a major event that gives you VPs
-you get extra regions for extra VPs
-you get easy access to Portugal, that is a source of per-turn VPs for Britain as long as neutral.
-Spain can't be influenced to join against you in a bad moment
Now you CAN win without all that. But you may find yourself needing that extra push.
Quote from: Tamas on March 21, 2016, 10:48:13 AM
On point 2, there are several good reasons:
-forming the Kingdom of Spain (getting Spain under your control) is a major event that gives you VPs
-you get extra regions for extra VPs
-you get easy access to Portugal, that is a source of per-turn VPs for Britain as long as neutral.
-Spain can't be influenced to join against you in a bad moment
Now you CAN win without all that. But you may find yourself needing that extra push.
Thanks Tamas.
Now taking what Tamas said. Don't attack Spain ;)
Started a new game on easy and I'm still getting my butt kicked. It's mid 1807, and Prussia, Russia, and Austria are all nipping at my heels. The only reason Spain hasn't joined the fun is that I was able to play the "Nappy Marries Into Royalty" event on her early on.
Two lessons learned from the latest game:
1) Garrisoning port provinces with ships is important, but don't spread yourself too thin.
2) Think twice before playing an event card that lowers your relationship with one of the majors.
Glenn's announced an update for next week that will include a new 1800 campaign that goes all the way to 1815. I'm looking forward to that.