GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Grim.Reaper on February 28, 2016, 11:48:00 AM

Title: Modern Korea War Game?
Post by: Grim.Reaper on February 28, 2016, 11:48:00 AM
I have always been intrigued by this type of conflict and was wondering if anybody had any knowledge of available games.  I know HPS has Korea '85 and I believe Raging Toger by Prosim, but not sure if either would scratch my itch.  I am guessing there might be some scenarios for Art of War or other games, but was really looking for a stand alone if it existed.

I am guessing my options are limited, but thought I would ask anyway....
Title: Re: Modern Korea War Game?
Post by: alantaylor on February 28, 2016, 12:35:07 PM
Shrapnel Games: Raging Tiger ;http://www.shrapnelgames.com/ProSIM/RT/RT_page.html
Squad Battles Korean War; http://www.johntillersoftware.com/SquadBattles/TheKoreanWar.html
The Operational Art of War III; http://www.matrixgames.com/products/317/details/Norm.Koger's.The.Operational.Art.of.War.III
Title: Re: Modern Korea War Game?
Post by: RyanE on February 28, 2016, 01:15:36 PM
Command also has several scenarios around a Korean War...in various modern time periods IIRC.
Title: Re: Modern Korea War Game?
Post by: FC on February 28, 2016, 08:29:21 PM
As you say there are some TOAW scenarios out there that imagine a 2nd Korean War

http://www.the-strategist.net/RD/scenarii/browse_scenario.php (http://www.the-strategist.net/RD/scenarii/browse_scenario.php)

Post Cold War > Hypothetical > Asia > Korea

There's some alternate scenarios for Korea '85 that might make it more interesting.

http://volcanomods.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=25&Itemid=27 (http://volcanomods.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=25&Itemid=27)
http://volcanomods.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=19&Itemid=27 (http://volcanomods.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=19&Itemid=27)

Plus Eugen system cover the imaginary conflict in Wargame - Red Dragon free dlc

http://www.wargame-rd.com/en/news/318-wargame-red-dragon-expands-its-conquest-with-a-new-free-dlc-the-second-korean-war.html (http://www.wargame-rd.com/en/news/318-wargame-red-dragon-expands-its-conquest-with-a-new-free-dlc-the-second-korean-war.html)
Title: Re: Modern Korea War Game?
Post by: jomni on February 28, 2016, 08:59:16 PM
Command? Oops already mentioned.
Title: Re: Modern Korea War Game?
Post by: Cyrano on February 28, 2016, 09:20:56 PM
Were I so inclined, I'd likely play Next War on Vassal...

Title: Re: Modern Korea War Game?
Post by: mirth on February 28, 2016, 09:38:02 PM
Quote from: Cyrano on February 28, 2016, 09:20:56 PM
Were I so inclined, I'd likely play Next War on Vassal...



+1
Title: Re: Modern Korea War Game?
Post by: Skoop on February 29, 2016, 07:51:50 PM
You could take it to a sim level and fly one of the BMS Korea campaigns.  The most touted dynamic campaign in flight sim history, check out if you haven't already.  Every grog should experience the falcon campaign atleast once.
Title: Re: Modern Korea War Game?
Post by: Grim.Reaper on February 29, 2016, 08:01:37 PM
Thanks for all the information everyone....unfortunately nothing fully standing out for me, but that is what I thought....fairly limited options on this subject matter.
Title: Re: Modern Korea War Game?
Post by: jomni on February 29, 2016, 11:12:52 PM
Quote from: Skoop on February 29, 2016, 07:51:50 PM
You could take it to a sim level and fly one of the BMS Korea campaigns.  The most touted dynamic campaign in flight sim history, check out if you haven't already.  Every grog should experience the falcon campaign atleast once.

I always die (take off then get BVR'ed)... high casualty rates. Total chaos.
Title: Re: Modern Korea War Game?
Post by: Boggit on March 02, 2016, 01:13:14 AM
There is also Theatre of War 3: Korea. I have it but haven't played it much. IIRC, Jarhead did an article/review on it a while back.
Title: Re: Modern Korea War Game?
Post by: GJK on March 02, 2016, 05:54:31 PM
I'd +3 Next War: Korea.  I just recently received the Taiwan version and while I've only gone through the rules a couple of times and have yet to play, I can see the depth and level of detail that the series has.  Very popular on the Geek as well.  I also have Breaking the Chains on the way and it looks to cover that region but more on a naval/air asset level if that's what interests you most.
Title: Re: Modern Korea War Game?
Post by: mirth on March 02, 2016, 06:05:11 PM
Breaking the Chains is an interesting game. I've played it 3 times. It is not for the faint of heart :P

I have all 3 games in the Next War series. Haven't played Taiwan yet, but I did play one of the tutorial scenarios for Next War: India-Pakistan last night. Judging by that experience, it is an outstanding series. I'll be pre-ordering Next War: Poland.