GrogHeads Forum

IRL (In Real Life) => General Discussion => Topic started by: Jarhead0331 on March 16, 2016, 09:08:56 AM

Title: Is there something wrong with me?
Post by: Jarhead0331 on March 16, 2016, 09:08:56 AM
This scene, from the otherwise unremarkable movie, "Act of Valor", always makes me tear up and cry... :idiot2:

Title: Re: Is there something wrong with me?
Post by: mirth on March 16, 2016, 09:17:40 AM
That's a great scene. As you noted, the movie was otherwise unremarkable.
Title: Re: Is there something wrong with me?
Post by: undercovergeek on March 16, 2016, 09:19:19 AM
i think we all have those moments in films based on our experiences and moods, for my Dad it was the last part of the Alamo everytime

for me before i became a father, Sean Connerys death in untouchables, the last moments of Private Ryan where he wants his family to tell him he was a good man, and more recently every goddam child/parent seperation scene, mainly prevalent in Disney/Pixar films and whilst im not alone, i dont understand why, but the last 10 minutes of Dark Knight Rises, the music, the funeral, the realisation hes not dead, the scene at the restaurant table with Michael Caine
Title: Re: Is there something wrong with me?
Post by: Jarhead0331 on March 16, 2016, 09:22:16 AM
^ Saving Private Ryan has me crying within the first five minutes. How about the last scene in Braveheart? Or when Maximus dies in Gladiator? Those get me too...

Most recently, I almost broke down a couple times in 13 Hours in Benghazi. I was with my older brother though, so I had to choke it back.
Title: Re: Is there something wrong with me?
Post by: mirth on March 16, 2016, 09:22:34 AM
I still cry when Bambi's mom dies.
Title: Re: Is there something wrong with me?
Post by: Steelgrave on March 16, 2016, 09:27:01 AM
I cry when Spock dies in "Wrath of Khan"...every damn time I see it  8)
Title: Re: Is there something wrong with me?
Post by: mirth on March 16, 2016, 09:28:05 AM
Quote from: Steelgrave on March 16, 2016, 09:27:01 AM
I cry when Spock dies in "Wrath of Khan"...every damn time I see it  8)

+1
Title: Re: Is there something wrong with me?
Post by: undercovergeek on March 16, 2016, 09:31:48 AM
Quote from: Steelgrave on March 16, 2016, 09:27:01 AM
I cry when Spock dies in "Wrath of Khan"...every damn time I see it  8)

yup, usually accompanied by a stifled sob when Kirk breaks in the eulogy

and i actually got teary at the switch in the new Trek film when Kirk goes and Spock is left to scream Khan

and JH is right, Braveheart but more the charge right at the end at Bannockburn with the 'warrior poets' voiceover

Title: Re: Is there something wrong with me?
Post by: Sir Slash on March 16, 2016, 12:12:49 PM
"Glory" when the Colonel gets killed leading the charge against Fort Wagner. When my wife and I went to see Pearl Harbor at the theater, I was the only person in the place that got the joke at the end about the Dyslexia- Headstone. While everyone else was crying tears, I laughed out loud and got looks of abject hatred from my fellow movie-goers.
Title: Re: Is there something wrong with me?
Post by: mirth on March 16, 2016, 12:13:37 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on March 16, 2016, 12:12:49 PM
"Glory" when the Colonel gets killed leading the charge against Fort Wagner.

Oh yeah. That gets me too.
Title: Re: Is there something wrong with me?
Post by: JasonPratt on March 17, 2016, 08:45:05 AM
Quote from: mirth on March 16, 2016, 12:13:37 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on March 16, 2016, 12:12:49 PM
"Glory" when the Colonel gets killed leading the charge against Fort Wagner.

Oh yeah. That gets me too.

Heck, I start up at "Give 'em hell, 54th!"


I cry about the final Dark Knight movie being so aggressively stupid all the time, but not really with it.  :buck2: I could be persuaded to cry about how I ought to have been crying at the end, though.


Quote from: Steelgrave on March 16, 2016, 09:27:01 AM
I cry when Spock dies in "Wrath of Khan"...every damn time I see it  8)

True story, that I'm sure I've told here before. Back when Bro was dating Ishy, he brought her over to the family house to watch ST2 because... man I really don't know why. She is not a fan of such movies AT ALL. It did lead to a hilarious moment at the end when, after Bro and I were finished sniffling through the funeral (and all the preliminaries and the discussion between Kirk and Son afterward), and everyone's standing around on deck for the final scene looking at the planet, Ishy pipes up and asks:

"Where's Spock?"

"...uh, well, you'll see. They meant to shoot him into orbit around the planet, but there's a final scene coming."

"They shot him into orbit around the planet?"

"Yeah, the way it's filmed is a bit confusing, because the special effects team made it look like they shot his casket directly at the planet."

"His casket?!"

"Yeah, that was him in the photon torpedo container. They weren't just having a memorial funeral, his body was in the that container they were using as a casket. Although I guess that could have been made clearer by showing them closing it or -- "

"SPOCK DIED!?!"


Her tone and the look on her face and on Bro's face when he's trying to process what she could have possibly thought she was watching in the past 10 or 15 minutes... I literally fell out of my chair laughing. I nearly passed out.
Title: Re: Is there something wrong with me?
Post by: JasonPratt on March 17, 2016, 08:49:03 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on March 16, 2016, 09:31:48 AM
and JH is right, Braveheart but more the charge right at the end at Bannockburn with the 'warrior poets' voiceover

Watched that movie again recently trying to figure out if I could make a G-ish edit for the nieces (answer: not very plausibly), still choked up at the end and in various other scenes.
Title: Re: Is there something wrong with me?
Post by: bayonetbrant on March 17, 2016, 09:04:04 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 16, 2016, 09:08:56 AMIs there something wrong with me?

Yes, but our posts have a 20k character limit, so I'll just mail you the book separately...   ;D
Title: Re: Is there something wrong with me?
Post by: undercovergeek on March 17, 2016, 09:44:28 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on March 17, 2016, 09:04:04 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 16, 2016, 09:08:56 AMIs there something wrong with me?

Yes, but our posts have a 20k character limit, so I'll just mail you the book separately...   ;D

oh man, i want that to be my answer
Title: Re: Is there something wrong with me?
Post by: Windigo on March 17, 2016, 10:38:40 AM
JH,
when your baby girl gets to be about 12-14, watch "The Fault In Our Stars" together. You'll cry for the death and you'll cry because your baby girl is growing up.
Title: Re: Is there something wrong with me?
Post by: bayonetbrant on March 17, 2016, 10:45:56 AM
Quote from: Windigo on March 17, 2016, 10:38:40 AM
JH,
when your baby girl gets to be about 12-14, watch "The Fault In Our Stars" together. You'll cry for the death and you'll cry because your baby girl is growing up.

I use this one in my public speaking classes, and it chokes up the whole room every time

Title: Re: Is there something wrong with me?
Post by: Emeraldlis on March 18, 2016, 06:16:29 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on March 17, 2016, 10:45:56 AM
Quote from: Windigo on March 17, 2016, 10:38:40 AM
JH,
when your baby girl gets to be about 12-14, watch "The Fault In Our Stars" together. You'll cry for the death and you'll cry because your baby girl is growing up.

I use this one in my public speaking classes, and I chokes up the whole room every time



Me AND my daughter literally balled our eyes out during this scene when we watched this movie together  :-
[ very moving speech  :smitten:  nice to know all you guys have big mushy hearts , I'd say there ain't nothin wrong with that !!
Title: Re: Is there something wrong with me?
Post by: OJsDad on March 18, 2016, 12:07:53 PM
When Marley dies in Marley & Me.
Title: Re: Is there something wrong with me?
Post by: DoctorQuest on March 18, 2016, 03:26:25 PM
I got choked up watching the last NCIS. They ended the episode with some wounded warriors doing "Hallelujah".

(My wife reminded me that was the song that was playing when Mark Harmon's character on "West Wing" was killed. Nice tie-in.)
Title: Re: Is there something wrong with me?
Post by: panzerde on March 21, 2016, 08:05:12 PM
The 20th Maine on Little Round Top in Gettysburg. Every damn time.

Title: Re: Is there something wrong with me?
Post by: Sir Slash on March 21, 2016, 10:13:36 PM
That's a good one too. Another of mine is the original Red Dawn when the dying Swayze/Sheen brothers spend their last moments in front of the swing their Daddy used to push them on.
Title: Re: Is there something wrong with me?
Post by: MetalDog on March 21, 2016, 10:20:33 PM
"Avenge me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I saw the remake a few years ago.  As a rule, I don't hold out any hope the new will match/be better than the old.  However, I think the remake would have scored a point or two with me if the boys daddy screamed out, "Avenge me!"  Just like Harry Dean Stanton.  THAT gives me chills every time I hear it.
Title: Re: Is there something wrong with me?
Post by: Sir Slash on March 22, 2016, 03:24:53 PM
I never could bring myself to watch the remake. Recently my Son-in-Law and I were talking about Red Dawn and he never knew the remake was a remake. I ignored the Old Man Moment and just told him to watch the original and tell me what you think. Kids! I was NEVER that dumb when I was that age.
Title: Re: Is there something wrong with me?
Post by: JasonPratt on March 23, 2016, 07:51:25 AM
Not gonna lie, several moments from Armageddon make me cry. Moreso than Pearl Harbor but a couple there, too.

Now Geek can be avenged on my snark about TDKRises.  >:D
Title: Re: Is there something wrong with me?
Post by: DoctorQuest on March 23, 2016, 09:21:28 AM
Just so we're clear........ I did not cry a whit watching "Deadpool".
Title: Re: Is there something wrong with me?
Post by: JudgeDredd on April 08, 2016, 01:16:46 AM
Some have already been mentioned...

Braveheart ending
Toy Story - third one, ending
Marley & Me - we had a dog that died in very similar circumstances - even to the point where it was lying in the garden when we got home...kind of like it didn't want us to see it's decline in health
Beaches
Titanic (yeah...never let go always gets me)
The Champ
Mufasa's death in Lion King
Ghost

Definitely any film with a kid watching their parent dying or a parent watching their kid dying will get the water rolling