GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: IronX on March 24, 2016, 10:54:53 AM

Title: Verdun Expansion "Horrors of War"
Post by: IronX on March 24, 2016, 10:54:53 AM
Free expansion for the FPS, Verdun:



I never survived more than 30 seconds in this game. I think this expansion would cut that down to 15 seconds.

Not sure why videos sometimes don't show up. Thanks JP.
Title: Re: Verdun Expansion "Horrors of War"
Post by: JasonPratt on March 24, 2016, 10:57:59 AM
Quote from: IronX on March 24, 2016, 10:54:53 AM
Free expansion for the FPS, Verdun:



I never survived more than 30 seconds in this game. I think this expansion would cut that down to 15 seconds.

Reposted with alternate video link.  O:-)
Title: Re: Verdun Expansion "Horrors of War"
Post by: Jarhead0331 on March 24, 2016, 11:01:06 AM
I really, really want to get this, but not until there is a basic solo mode with bots on bots. The co-op wave survival mode they just added is a step in the right direction.
Title: Re: Verdun Expansion "Horrors of War"
Post by: IronX on March 24, 2016, 03:17:20 PM
Yeah, that could actually be fun. I might have to reinstall after my last rage quit load it up and check it out.
Title: Re: Verdun Expansion "Horrors of War"
Post by: TacticalWargames on March 24, 2016, 03:33:09 PM
This and Red Orchestra 2 are the only games I play online.

If you like RO2 you should enjoy this one to.
Title: Re: Verdun Expansion "Horrors of War"
Post by: Gusington on March 24, 2016, 05:35:29 PM
I have never lasted more than 15 seconds in Verdun either.

I would pay a premium for a single player campaign.
Title: Re: Verdun Expansion "Horrors of War"
Post by: bbmike on March 24, 2016, 05:37:48 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 24, 2016, 11:01:06 AM
I really, really want to get this, but not until there is a basic solo mode with bots on bots. The co-op wave survival mode they just added is a step in the right direction.

This times 100. The first Steam game I returned for a refund.
Title: Re: Verdun Expansion "Horrors of War"
Post by: Gusington on March 24, 2016, 05:39:25 PM
I'm holding out hope that one day there will be SP.
Title: Re: Verdun Expansion "Horrors of War"
Post by: Dammit Carl! on March 24, 2016, 05:40:23 PM
Nice. Well, my birthday is right around the corner (in July), so I think I should just go ahead and treat myself!  O0
Title: Re: Verdun Expansion "Horrors of War"
Post by: jomni on March 24, 2016, 08:32:49 PM
This series is shaping up to be a nice one.  I ignored it before.
How's the server population?
Title: Re: Verdun Expansion "Horrors of War"
Post by: Gusington on March 24, 2016, 08:54:41 PM
^Hostile and immature, for the most part.
Title: Re: Verdun Expansion "Horrors of War"
Post by: Boggit on March 24, 2016, 09:59:19 PM
Quote from: TacticalWargames on March 24, 2016, 03:33:09 PM
This and Red Orchestra 2 are the only games I play online.

If you like RO2 you should enjoy this one to.
I've got RO2 but am totally hopeless at it. I wish there was a SP campaign like Call of Duty, which would give you a chance to master the mechanics of it properly. I'm constantly getting trashed before I know it on line. :-[
Title: Re: Verdun Expansion "Horrors of War"
Post by: Hofstadter on March 25, 2016, 02:06:10 AM
I wish this game had more variety, theres only so many times you can charge a trench until it gets uninteresting.
Title: Re: Verdun Expansion "Horrors of War"
Post by: jomni on March 25, 2016, 07:07:11 AM
A different game but this one has been in my wishlist for a while. Only $5 now. Is it fun?

Title: Re: Verdun Expansion "Horrors of War"
Post by: TacticalWargames on March 25, 2016, 08:11:12 AM
I struggle badly with Battle of Empires. I'm sure if your fine with Men of War you'll be OK.

Title: Re: Verdun Expansion "Horrors of War"
Post by: Dammit Carl! on March 25, 2016, 10:38:26 AM

I've got RO2 but am totally hopeless at it. I wish there was a SP campaign like Call of Duty, which would give you a chance to master the mechanics of it properly. I'm constantly getting trashed before I know it on line. :-[



FWIW, you can play a map (in their various modes as available) against bots on either side - I forget the specific mechanics on how to do it, but it is possible - and it is also a good way to upgrade your weaponry without logging in against Xx_Johnny Snipergod69_xX who proceeds to whack you at every opportunity.  You're not cheating by doing this, per se, but I can see purists hating this sort of approach.

...and had an awesome game last night (Peleliu map; PTO) where people called out targets, covered each other and just had great teamwork to pull out some wins.  Love RO2  :smitten:
Title: Re: Verdun Expansion "Horrors of War"
Post by: Father Ted on March 25, 2016, 11:24:46 AM
Quote from: Boggit on March 24, 2016, 09:59:19 PM

I've got RO2 but am totally hopeless at it. I wish there was a SP campaign like Call of Duty, which would give you a chance to master the mechanics of it properly. I'm constantly getting trashed before I know it on line. :-[

RO2 does actually have a SP "campaign" which acts as a tutorial.  FWIW it takes me two or three maps in online play to get my eye in with RO2 (ie getting killed without knowing how or why and never seeing an enemy), but if I can get past that I find it a satisfying FPS experience.

To get back on topic, I own Verdun but can't play it because it picks up my USB controllers as the default.  I know I've bleated on about this before, but does anyone know of a fix?
Title: Re: Verdun Expansion "Horrors of War"
Post by: Jack Nastyface on March 25, 2016, 12:26:07 PM
@FatherTed...is there config file you can edit somewhere?  I've fixed a number of games this way for my kids.
Title: Re: Verdun Expansion "Horrors of War"
Post by: Father Ted on March 25, 2016, 01:56:10 PM
Quote from: Jack Nastyface on March 25, 2016, 12:26:07 PM
@FatherTed...is there config file you can edit somewhere?  I've fixed a number of games this way for my kids.

Just spent an hour or so on their forums - there doesn't appear to be an editable conf file for the game.  I even got as far as the Unity3d help forum.  From what I understood there, it's up to the game devs to make one available to players.  Perhaps they haven't done so in order to stop people cheating.

The only solution I could find was to uninstall all my controller drivers.  Which would be great if I wanted a Verdunbox instead of a PC.  A bit of a stalemate, which is apt, I suppose, given the subject...

So Verdun returns to the greyed-out list in my Steam Library...
Title: Re: Verdun Expansion "Horrors of War"
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on March 25, 2016, 02:49:44 PM
I had the same issue with the controls (and still have it with Heroes of Normandie.  The devs refuse to do anything about it).  I was able to work around it though.

If you go into the controls menu and slide the two sensitivity sliders all the way to the right, you should then be able to get into the remapping stuff.  Once you're in there, make sure to remap all controls and remove any references to controllers. Apply your new settings then  move the sensitivity sliders back to about the half way point.  Hopefully it'll work for you and you will be able to play the game without the controllers interfering with your inputs.