Greetings from sunny Southern California! I've been looking for an active traditional wargaming community for quite some time and thus far I've had little luck. Until today when a beta tester pointed me here and it looks as though I have found what I've been looking for!
I was raised as on table top games, mainly SPI and Avalon Hill with a particular love for Fulda Gap and Blitzkrieg. Though as a child I was obsessed with SPI's War of the Ring and ultimately went so far as to start writing my own custom rules and scenarios which sparked a passion for game design that remains with me to this day. These days I'm working on my Masters degree in history with a focus on 20th century European political history whilst working as a developer/historical researcher on a brigade level World War 2 simulator called CAOS by Nemeton Singularity Simulations.
Currently I mostly play computer wargames as fellow board gamers have grown few and far between in this neck of the woods. Developing and testing CAOS dominates my free time but I have played Hearts of Iron III, Crusader Kings 2, Europa Universalis IV (anything Paradox Interactive publishes really) extensively, though in the rare event I have ample free time on my hands I'll fire up War in the Pacific.
Glad to meet you all and I look forward to joining the community.
Welcome aboard. Good to have you!
Greetings! Whereabouts in SoCal? I've traveled a lot of it in my day, and have family in Poway and Palm Springs.
Hello, Xenophon and welcome!
Greetings.
Quote from: bayonetbrant on March 30, 2016, 05:23:53 PM
Greetings! Whereabouts in SoCal? I've traveled a lot of it in my day, and have family in Poway and Palm Springs.
I live near Hemet/Temecula, actually only about an hour away from Palm Springs.
Welcome to Grogheads, Xenephon! From your introductory paragraph, I think you'll fit in quite well here. Glad you found us!
Quote from: Xenophon on March 30, 2016, 05:54:27 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on March 30, 2016, 05:23:53 PM
Greetings! Whereabouts in SoCal? I've traveled a lot of it in my day, and have family in Poway and Palm Springs.
I live near Hemet/Temecula, actually only about an hour away from Palm Springs.
passed thru there on my way from Ft Irwin to San Diego a few times :)
Quote from: bayonetbrant on March 30, 2016, 06:08:43 PM
passed thru there on my way from Ft Irwin to San Diego a few times :)
As someone who has called Hemet home most of my life I can confirm that passing through is all you want to do! Temecula on the other hand, they have amazing vineyards there, I particularly recommend Leoness Cellars.
Welcome Xenophon to the Grogs. Ten posts and no derailment-- a record?
Welcome to the land of nuts and grogs Xenophon.
..or possibly 'grogs are nuts'
Or puns and grogs.