GrogHeads Forum

IRL (In Real Life) => General Discussion => Topic started by: avrotim on April 08, 2016, 09:59:19 AM

Title: The Graying of the Hobby?
Post by: avrotim on April 08, 2016, 09:59:19 AM
I can't help wondering how old we all are, and how long generally everyone has been gaming.

I am 54 and started war-gaming when I was 17.  Its only been in the last 5 years or so that I have branched out into more general gaming, due to the changing nature of my gaming group. 

How about the rest of you?
Title: Re: The Graying of the Hobby?
Post by: bayonetbrant on April 08, 2016, 10:03:43 AM
currently early-40s, but started playing at age 5 or so w/ dad

I've honestly been reasonably impressed w/ the number of wargamers I've run across who are younger than I am
Title: Re: The Graying of the Hobby?
Post by: Sir Slash on April 08, 2016, 10:07:07 AM
Sixty. That's 6-0. Though it's not the age, it's the mileage that counts. So, not sure if that's a good thing or not in my case. First wargame was American Heritage's WWI fighter plane game, was it "Barrel Roll"? I was in the Fourth Grade-- so 9 I'm thinking. I had to game so all the cute little girls would leave me alone for awhile.
Title: Re: The Graying of the Hobby?
Post by: mirth on April 08, 2016, 10:07:42 AM
Just turned 45. Started gaming in my teens with light stuff like Axis & Allies and Red Storm Rising. Did have dreams of playing Advanced Third Reich back then but it didn't happen. Mainly because I couldn't find anyone insane enough to play it with me.

Most of the guys in my local group are my age or older. We do try to encourage younger gamers to get into the hobby, with some success.
Title: Re: The Graying of the Hobby?
Post by: Steelgrave on April 08, 2016, 10:09:19 AM
56, started the hobby at age 14 with Avalon Hill's Midway. Went through a long AD&D period, then discovered computer games about the same time as my AD&D group was scattered to various assignments. Haven't looked back, besides buying a few old AH games for nostalgia's sake.
Title: Re: The Graying of the Hobby?
Post by: Labbug on April 08, 2016, 10:32:40 AM
I am 69.  Started gaming in junior high with Avalon Hill's Tactics II.
Title: Re: The Graying of the Hobby?
Post by: Barthheart on April 08, 2016, 11:05:25 AM
Just turned 51. Started serious war gaming with AH's Luftwaffe when I was 14. Still have it.  O0
Title: Re: The Graying of the Hobby?
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on April 08, 2016, 11:11:20 AM
46.  I started gaming in my early teens with RPGs and 25mm Ancients minis.  Quickly got into the heavy, groggy wargames and became a rivet counter.  Took a while to relax and learn to appreciate lighter fare.

I just got back into tabletop gaming last year after getting away from it in my mid 20s.  I'd say the vast majority of the local gamers are much younger than me but they're also much more into the "new" style of boardgames that tend to be lighter, quick to play, and social.  Very few have played a traditional wargame and most have no interest in trying.  The grog crowd around here is much older.  The event I went to last weekend was mostly guys in their 40s and up with only a few younger adults in evidence. 
Title: Re: The Graying of the Hobby?
Post by: Greybriar on April 08, 2016, 05:11:18 PM
I am 68. Soon to be 69 if I live that long. ;)

I've been gaming nearly all my life. My earliest memories are of playing cards and board games. In 1989 I purchased my first computer. It wasn't long afterwards that I was up to my neck in PC gaming and playing titles from Avalon Hill (http://www.mobygames.com/company/avalon-hill-game-company), MicroProse (http://www.mobygames.com/browse/games/microprose-software-inc/so,1d/list-games/) (and its label MicroPlay (http://www.mobygames.com/company/microplay-software)), Strategic Studies Group [SSG] (http://www.mobygames.com/company/ssg-strategic-studies-group-pty-ltd), Three-Sixty Pacific (http://www.mobygames.com/company/three-sixty-pacific-inc), Strategic Simulations, Inc. [SSI] (http://www.mobygames.com/company/strategic-simulations-inc), and many other companies. Names like Norm Koger and Gary Grigsby became familiar to me as well as many lesser known developers.

My favorite type of PC game has become the 4X (Explore, Expand, Exploit, and Exterminate) games, and my favorite game of all time is Master of Magic (http://www.mobygames.com/game/master-of-magic). I still play it occasionally today.
Title: Re: The Graying of the Hobby?
Post by: bbmike on April 08, 2016, 05:23:01 PM
50 this year. I started with Starflight on my first PC. Also Star Fleet Battles, Federation Space, D&D, Gamma World and Traveller.
Title: Re: The Graying of the Hobby?
Post by: besilarius on April 09, 2016, 09:55:01 AM
SDR, I think you're right that many, perhaps most, younger gamers are looking for a lighter, more social game.
I'm 65 and got interested because of all the World War II stuff.  You had it in movies, in newstand books, television, and there would usually be something in the newspaper about history and veterans.
Getting to understand what happened was the hook that got me into gaming.  There weren't enough local gamers to have to much social interaction.  Remember the Opponents Wanted ads in the General and S&T?
Title: Re: The Graying of the Hobby?
Post by: KyzBP on April 09, 2016, 10:23:30 AM
I'm in my late, late 40's.  I had a bunch of Christmas money and wandered into a KB Toys.  I read the back of a Squad Leader box and immediately plunked down whatever it cost.  I was 13.  I tried to get all my friends to play it with me and we never went by the same rules twice.  What adult, let alone a 13 year old can be bothered to read the rules to that game?  I eventually saved up my Burger King money and bought a C64.  Friends were no longer necessary when you had such great games as Blue Max and SSI's Combat Leader available to you in cassette form.  Ah, the load times.

I do think with the total acceptance of gaming by the younger generation no genre is really shunned any longer.  I remember a small group of us jocks playing D&D.  We could NEVER speak about it in public for fear of being "outed" and ostracized.
Title: Re: The Graying of the Hobby?
Post by: Nefaro on April 10, 2016, 07:07:56 AM
Quote from: KyzBP on April 09, 2016, 10:23:30 AM


I do think with the total acceptance of gaming by the younger generation no genre is really shunned any longer.  I remember a small group of us jocks playing D&D.  We could NEVER speak about it in public for fear of being "outed" and ostracized.

Same.  I also kept my tabletop gaming interests secret in my youth, after reaching high school. 

Stopped giving a damn about doing so in my 20s, but video games started taking the lion's share of time after that. 

I specifically recall a later moment of realization when I roomed with two friends in a large duplex in the mid 90s.  It was certainly a festive place, but we occasionally nerded it up, too.  Magic The Gathering beer drinking marathons were fairly regular.  Our various girlfriends were addicted to our Playstation (most notably the original Resident Evil for some reason) so didn't demand our constant attention (perfect babysitter/date?  :P  ).  All was proceeding as I had foreseen!  :))
Title: Re: The Graying of the Hobby?
Post by: bob48 on April 10, 2016, 07:22:31 AM
I'm 67 and have been gaming since the early 1960's.
Title: Re: The Graying of the Hobby?
Post by: MetalDog on April 10, 2016, 08:32:15 AM
BCE?
Title: Re: The Graying of the Hobby?
Post by: Bison on April 10, 2016, 08:39:00 AM
I just dropped a couple of bucks on some Star Wars RPG goodness yesterday.  I've been buying and playing RPGs and other games for over 35 years now. 
Title: Re: The Graying of the Hobby?
Post by: Arctic Blast on April 10, 2016, 02:13:35 PM
39. Played light wargame fare in my teens (Axis & Allies, Red Storm Rising, A Line in the Sand, etc.), then a buddy and I decided we were ready for a big war game and split the cost of Pacific War. Yeah. That was not a good investment.  :o

Pretty much all video games from that point (with the exception of some tabletop RPG sessions) until maybe 5 years ago, when I started buying board games. I don't remember why I started, I just did.
Title: Re: The Graying of the Hobby?
Post by: bob48 on April 10, 2016, 02:31:55 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on April 10, 2016, 08:32:15 AM
BCE?

BASL
Title: Re: The Graying of the Hobby?
Post by: JasonPratt on April 12, 2016, 12:00:26 PM
45-1/2ish. I don't recall when (younger) Bro and I started playing tactical and strategic games, but it was before I was ten. No doubt that started with chess. Which up until recently (http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=16555.0) I haven't played in about 20 years.