GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Tuna on April 27, 2016, 11:14:42 AM

Title: Sword of the Stars 2
Post by: Tuna on April 27, 2016, 11:14:42 AM
Well, bought this awhile ago in some sale or another, and figured time to give it a try. It's growing on me except one thing, constant crashes!.. I'm like 150 turns in.. sometimes I get lucky and can restart and play awhile.. Other times.. it just constantly crashes right away. Tried googling, but didn't see any real fixes.. Already deleted and reinstalled to no avail. Sucks, cause I think I'm liking this one. Any one else have this result with the game?
Title: Re: Sword of the Stars 2
Post by: PanzersEast on April 27, 2016, 11:17:39 AM
Unfortunately this has been an issue since its release.  Around turn 100 I encountered crashes and eventually just gave up playing.  I tried as you did to find a solution or root cause only to see that others suffered the same effects with no fix.  I have not played in quit some time but again around turn 100 is when it went off the rails for me.


PE
Title: Re: Sword of the Stars 2
Post by: Tuna on April 27, 2016, 11:32:11 AM
I have Sword of the Stars original in my Gamersgate library, which I never really tried, is that worth giving a go, or is it too old?
Title: Re: Sword of the Stars 2
Post by: Nefaro on April 27, 2016, 12:03:25 PM
Quote from: Tuna on April 27, 2016, 11:14:42 AM
Well, bought this awhile ago in some sale or another, and figured time to give it a try. It's growing on me except one thing, constant crashes!.. I'm like 150 turns in.. sometimes I get lucky and can restart and play awhile.. Other times.. it just constantly crashes right away. Tried googling, but didn't see any real fixes.. Already deleted and reinstalled to no avail. Sucks, cause I think I'm liking this one. Any one else have this result with the game?


That's been the big complaint I've seen.  Regular crashing past that ~150 turn mark.  :-[
Title: Re: Sword of the Stars 2
Post by: Nefaro on April 27, 2016, 12:07:35 PM
Quote from: Tuna on April 27, 2016, 11:32:11 AM
I have Sword of the Stars original in my Gamersgate library, which I never really tried, is that worth giving a go, or is it too old?


It's rather simple for a 4x.  The ship battles are the meat of it, but it will still be less sophisticated than SotS2.

Does have the different randomized techs for each campaign iirc, which was a great idea.  Worth a look.  Just keep in mind that there isn't a lot of depth to the campaign and it's mostly focused on the ship battles & a little ship/fleet customization.  Been around for awhile so it's probably not the prettiest girl in the lot.
Title: Re: Sword of the Stars 2
Post by: Jarhead0331 on April 27, 2016, 12:17:55 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on April 27, 2016, 12:07:35 PM
Quote from: Tuna on April 27, 2016, 11:32:11 AM
I have Sword of the Stars original in my Gamersgate library, which I never really tried, is that worth giving a go, or is it too old?


It's rather simple for a 4x.  The ship battles are the meat of it, but it will still be less sophisticated than SotS2.

Does have the different randomized techs for each campaign iirc, which was a great idea.  Worth a look.  Just keep in mind that there isn't a lot of depth to the campaign and it's mostly focused on the ship battles & a little ship/fleet customization.  Been around for awhile so it's probably not the prettiest girl in the lot.

I disagree with this assessment.

I think the original SotS with all DLCs is a must have title and it will always have a place on my harddrive. There are many far shallower 4x titles out there. Ship design, fleet management, research, colony and empire management, trade, economy and infrastructure, are all very well done. I wouldn't describe the ship battles as the main focus and I wouldn't describe the ship/fleet customization options as being "little". 

Just my .02. I didn't care for the game initially...the races, the colors, the background story, etc. But once I picked it up again after all the DLC was out, I found it to be an outstanding 4x.   

...and by the way, I think it still looks pretty good too. With the style the game went with, I think it will be essentialy timeless.
Title: Re: Sword of the Stars 2
Post by: sandman2575 on April 27, 2016, 12:26:44 PM
I guess I've been lucky with SOTSII because I haven't experienced the constant crashes at all. Game has been rock solid for me -- can't recall a time when it CTD'd or froze up. And I've definitely gotten well past the 150 turn mark.  One thing I have noticed is the UI becomes a little sluggish after many consecutive turns (100+ I'd say), and I've heard there is a memory leak issue (which may be partly to blame for the CTDs you are experiencing)?  Quitting and restarting clears that up though.
Title: Re: Sword of the Stars 2
Post by: Wolfe1759 on April 27, 2016, 12:33:01 PM
Quote from: Tuna on April 27, 2016, 11:32:11 AM
I have Sword of the Stars original in my Gamersgate library, which I never really tried, is that worth giving a go, or is it too old?

Agree with Jarhead

If you like the idea of Sword of the Stars play SOTS1 (Complete edition) and just ignore that SOTS2 ever existed.
Title: Re: Sword of the Stars 2
Post by: Pete Dero on April 27, 2016, 12:33:24 PM
Quote from: Tuna on April 27, 2016, 11:14:42 AM
Well, bought this awhile ago in some sale or another, and figured time to give it a try. It's growing on me except one thing, constant crashes!.. I'm like 150 turns in.. sometimes I get lucky and can restart and play awhile.. Other times.. it just constantly crashes right away. Tried googling, but didn't see any real fixes.. Already deleted and reinstalled to no avail. Sucks, cause I think I'm liking this one. Any one else have this result with the game?

No real 100% certain fixes but for many people things that worked are :

- disable steam overlay
- use windowed full screen mode
- try compatibility mode (when playing in windows 7 or higher)
- lower graphical settings
Title: Re: Sword of the Stars 2
Post by: jamus34 on April 27, 2016, 12:38:12 PM
2 things I loved about the SotS series.

1) colonies are not "free", there is a very real expense in getting them set up depending on planet quality.
2) the varying drive systems used by the races. Most games would only include two or at most three, these games use all kinds of theoretical technology.
Title: Re: Sword of the Stars 2
Post by: Nefaro on April 27, 2016, 12:40:51 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 27, 2016, 12:17:55 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on April 27, 2016, 12:07:35 PM


It's rather simple for a 4x.  The ship battles are the meat of it, but it will still be less sophisticated than SotS2.

Does have the different randomized techs for each campaign iirc, which was a great idea.  Worth a look.  Just keep in mind that there isn't a lot of depth to the campaign and it's mostly focused on the ship battles & a little ship/fleet customization.  Been around for awhile so it's probably not the prettiest girl in the lot.

I disagree with this assessment.

I think the original SotS with all DLCs is a must have title and it will always have a place on my harddrive. There are many far shallower 4x titles out there. Ship design, fleet management, research, colony and empire management, trade, economy and infrastructure, are all very well done. I wouldn't describe the ship battles as the main focus and I wouldn't describe the ship/fleet customization options as being "little". 

Just my .02. I didn't care for the game initially...the races, the colors, the background story, etc. But once I picked it up again after all the DLC was out, I found it to be an outstanding 4x.   

...and by the way, I think it still looks pretty good too. With the style the game went with, I think it will be essentialy timeless.


You've probably played it more than I, JH.  I haven't tried it in quite a few years, although I do have the full range of DLC.

Didn't recall much in the way of planetary development in SotS, but it did have variety in the ship customization.  Mixed with the varied research techs, and each race having it's own method of FTL travel, I thought that was where the most variety was.  Does the planetary expansion & customization open up later in the campaigns? 

I should probably give SotS another go sometime too.  Just always thought I'd do it more for the fleet battles & customization in it than any other reason.
Title: Re: Sword of the Stars 2
Post by: Shelldrake on April 27, 2016, 12:53:11 PM
Quote from: Tuna on April 27, 2016, 11:32:11 AM
I have Sword of the Stars original in my Gamersgate library, which I never really tried, is that worth giving a go, or is it too old?

The original with all the DLC is definitely worth playing. In addition to the random research tree for different races, the fact that each race has a unique form of interstellar travel provides a unique strategic challenge.
Title: Re: Sword of the Stars 2
Post by: Freyland on April 27, 2016, 01:01:08 PM
Still enjoy SOTS1 immensely.  One of my top three games played in my life.
Title: Re: Sword of the Stars 2
Post by: Tuna on April 27, 2016, 01:17:52 PM
Quote from: Pete Dero on April 27, 2016, 12:33:24 PM
Quote from: Tuna on April 27, 2016, 11:14:42 AM
Well, bought this awhile ago in some sale or another, and figured time to give it a try. It's growing on me except one thing, constant crashes!.. I'm like 150 turns in.. sometimes I get lucky and can restart and play awhile.. Other times.. it just constantly crashes right away. Tried googling, but didn't see any real fixes.. Already deleted and reinstalled to no avail. Sucks, cause I think I'm liking this one. Any one else have this result with the game?

No real 100% certain fixes but for many people things that worked are :

- disable steam overlay
- use windowed full screen mode
- try compatibility mode (when playing in windows 7 or higher)
- lower graphical settings

How do you disable Steam Overlay?
Title: Re: Sword of the Stars 2
Post by: Pete Dero on April 27, 2016, 01:36:47 PM
Quote from: Tuna on April 27, 2016, 01:17:52 PM

How do you disable Steam Overlay?

In Steam go to Settings and select In Game.  Deselect Steam Overlay.  (this effects all your steam games)

My Steam version is not in english so sorry if the tab names are not 100% correct.
Title: Re: Sword of the Stars 2
Post by: Tuna on April 27, 2016, 01:51:12 PM
Ahh. so is that what allows you to 'chat' in game and see friends?
Title: Re: Sword of the Stars 2
Post by: Yskonyn on April 27, 2016, 04:40:01 PM
Yes and as far as SOTS 2 is concerned it makes the game much less stable .
Title: Re: Sword of the Stars 2
Post by: Sparhawk on April 27, 2016, 10:00:02 PM
I have SOTS II on steam and don't recall crashes. I've played it several times 400 plus turns. Of course graphically its more polished than the original and I love the ships and battles.
Title: Re: Sword of the Stars 2
Post by: Tuna on April 27, 2016, 10:44:58 PM
I turned off the Overlay and did Full Windowed Mode, and was just able to play a few turns without crashes!.. Thanks!  O0
Title: Re: Sword of the Stars 2
Post by: Sparhawk on April 28, 2016, 07:17:22 PM
Ahh, I play in full windowed mode as well, seems to be more stable.
Title: Re: Sword of the Stars 2
Post by: Tuna on April 28, 2016, 10:20:31 PM
Played some more tonight, no crashes! Thanks again!
Title: Re: Sword of the Stars 2
Post by: Boggit on April 29, 2016, 06:10:50 AM
Quote from: Tuna on April 27, 2016, 11:32:11 AM
I have Sword of the Stars original in my Gamersgate library, which I never really tried, is that worth giving a go, or is it too old?
I have it too, but just haven't got around to playing it yet either. :(