Yeah!!! :D
Oh blimey!!!!
I'm assuming that's a cinematic trailer, not gameplay?
Quote from: Rayfer on May 03, 2016, 12:45:43 PM
I'm assuming that's a cinematic trailer, not gameplay?
Correct assumption.
Dawn of War: Soulstorm has been my go-to game, and DoW1's prior iterations before SS, for more years than I can easily reckon. Not so much DoW2 even at its most developed -- just not as much gameplay (though I appreciate the sp campaigns for what they are).
Whether this will finally surpass Soulstorm, especially with the Ultimate Apocalypse mod approaching something like completion, who knows? But I'm glad it's on the way. O0
^What's your take on Ultimate Apocalypse? Is it worth the DL and install? I'm pretty faithful to the Fire over Kronos mod which has an amazing army database.
I've been waiting for them to announce something like completion, which eludes them, so I haven't installed it yet.
I am with Jason.
Totally loved DoW 1 with its base building and more traditional RTS elements.
Have played DoW 2, but didn't like it as much.
Curious about DoW 3.
Marines, Orks, and Eldar clearly; other starting factions to be announced later I suppose (and missing ones slowly ported in over time. ;) Minus 1 or 2 so that past and future editions will still have some selling power. :buck2: ::) )
Got an email from SEGA earlier today with this and immediately thought of JH :)
I just do not understand why these people don't turn to 40k movie making.
Devil take the game, I want to watch the movie.
Still, the notion that I get to muck about in a Warhound? Yes, please.
Quote from: Cyrano on May 03, 2016, 08:02:31 PM
I just do not understand why these people don't turn to 40k movie making.
Devil take the game, I want to watch the movie.
Still, the notion that I get to muck about in a Warhound? Yes, please.
Not a Warhound. I think it will feature Imperial Knights, which are a smaller class of "mech" than Titans.
I saw that nomenclature and was puzzled. I will confess to have been out of TT40K since third edition.
So this is some intermediate step between, say, Dreadnought and Titan, huh?
Wait...this just in (looked it up on a whim), the Wiki classes them as Titans.
http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Titan
Who's in charge of this storyline anyway?
JH, I think.
Lets say...I have a friend who has always been interested in Warhammer but doesn't really now anything. I...I mean...my friend has played Dawn of War II briefly but as usual something else shiny distracted me...me friend. What is the best way for my friend to learn about Warhammer?
Gameplay wise buy the rulebook obviously.
Lore wise, start reading the novels. :)
Quote from: Cyrano on May 03, 2016, 08:02:31 PM
I just do not understand why these people don't turn to 40k movie making.
Devil take the game, I want to watch the movie.
Still, the notion that I get to muck about in a Warhound? Yes, please.
Agreed.
But GW is so stingy with the license, it will probably be quite awhile longer.
Hell, they only just loosened up the licensing for their old discontinued stuff to more game developers. ::)
I am a bit confused about the Warhammer universe.
They have both Warhammer and Warhammer 40K and they also did some historical work as I recall. Is this right?
Now Warhammer is really just ancient/medieval warfare and 40k is 40,000 years after with starships etc.. Do I have that right?
Thanks
Quote from: magnus on May 04, 2016, 04:19:17 PM
They have both Warhammer and Warhammer 40K and they also did some historical work as I recall. Is this right?
Now Warhammer is really just ancient/medieval warfare and 40k is 40,000 years after with starships etc.. Do I have that right?
Original Warhammer was a dark "high fantasy" setting. 40k is similar, but in the extremely distant future. They're all rather grim dystopias in their own style of setting.
I don't recall Games Workshop having historical stuff. If they did, it was quickly overshadowed by their fictional IPs.
Quote from: Nefaro on May 04, 2016, 04:08:25 PM
Quote from: Cyrano on May 03, 2016, 08:02:31 PM
I just do not understand why these people don't turn to 40k movie making.
Devil take the game, I want to watch the movie.
Still, the notion that I get to muck about in a Warhound? Yes, please.
Agreed.
But GW is so stingy with the license, it will probably be quite awhile longer.
Hell, they only just loosened up the licensing for their old discontinued stuff to more game developers. ::)
There is a space marine CG animated film that is available for download. I'd rate it a 3.5 out of 10.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 04, 2016, 05:49:45 PM
There is a space marine CG animated film that is available for download. I'd rate it a 3.5 out of 10.
I bought that as the limited collector's edition in the special tin and everything, ordering it about a year or so before it came out.
I watched it once. I was sooooo disappointed. It isn't terrible, but it's not good, either. 3.5 out of 10 seems about right.
Now this new game...yeah, I'll be buying that.
Bought the movie...
Watched the movie...
Once...
I will repeat my earlier inquiry as to why Relic doesn't get into the 40k movie biz.
GW had a fairly extensive historical arm and some of their earliest designers were histo-gamers in their hearts. The very first games of WHF I ever played were magic-free as the group I joined had already determined that the magic system was completely broken so they just wanted to play medieval battles with orcs, elves, and dwarves. This historical side brought out a range of games on the ECW and even the lovely but broken "Trafalgar" naval system. It was shuttered some months ago.
We may have to drag that along to Origins and play it on the big display in between Command Post sessions...
Quote from: republic on May 03, 2016, 08:58:53 PM
Lets say...I have a friend who has always been interested in Warhammer but doesn't really now anything. I...I mean...my friend has played Dawn of War II briefly but as usual something else shiny distracted me...me friend. What is the best way for my friend to learn about Warhammer?
There was a long thread on this board a month or two back about
Gothic Battlefleet, asking the same question about the WH universe. You can dust that one off for all the recommendations, but that thread was more focused on fleet battles.
If you want some books offering an intro to ground combat, I'd recommend either Dan Abnett's
The Founding (if you like a story about typical grunts fighting with typical weapons in the WH40K universe) or read James Swallow's
The Blood Angels Omnibus (if you like a story about genetically engineered super marines in powered battle armor who fight with animalistic savagery). Neither one is real cheery, but both sagas are well-written and don't rely on you knowing all the WH40K backstory to follow what is going on.
The religious overtones is probably the most intriguing aspect of 40K the lore for me.
Quote from: republic on May 03, 2016, 08:58:53 PM
Lets say...I have a friend who has always been interested in Warhammer but doesn't really now anything. I...I mean...my friend has played Dawn of War II briefly but as usual something else shiny distracted me...me friend. What is the best way for my friend to learn about Warhammer?
There's a YouTube series by user(s) named "Vaults Of Terra" which gives a quick overview of the various 40K lore. If you want more detailed info on certain parts, such as the Horus Heresy, just check that guy's playlists on YT for more.
Imperium Of Man series, could be considered the default viewpoint of the 40k universe:
Different races/factions:
Other series under YT user's Playlist..
Thanks for posting the above Nefaro, didn't know that stuff was on YouTube and being a WH40k novice, it will help me navigate what looks to be a lot of upcoming WH40k gaming.
Quote from: Gusington on May 05, 2016, 07:22:01 AM
Thanks for posting the above Nefaro, didn't know that stuff was on YouTube and being a WH40k novice, it will help me navigate what looks to be a lot of upcoming WH40k gaming.
Yes, but the Warhammer Fantasy setting is different, so keep that in mind. Although it's easier to pick up while doing, like when you inevitably buckle and get TW Warhammer.
Quote from: Nefaro on May 05, 2016, 06:17:52 AM
There's a YouTube series by user(s) named "Vaults Of Terra" which gives a quick overview of the various 40K lore. If you want more detailed info on certain parts, such as the Horus Heresy, just check that guy's playlists on YT for more.
Imperium Of Man series, could be considered the default viewpoint of the 40k universe:
Different races/factions:
Other series under YT user's Playlist..
Awesome! I mean...I'll tell my friend.