GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: bbmike on May 04, 2016, 04:29:27 PM

Title: Emperor of the Fading Suns....2016?!
Post by: bbmike on May 04, 2016, 04:29:27 PM
What is this mysterious Steam page (http://steamcommunity.com/groups/emperorfadingsuns#announcements/detail/833541031434326256)??  :o

Let it be a modern version! (https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Faarcentral.com%2Fpics%2Fplease.gif&hash=ae9419dfa881b0b40ee16f78ac4c6bba07b6d7bc)
Title: Re: Emperor of the Fading Suns....2016?!
Post by: Gusington on May 04, 2016, 05:01:12 PM
Can I jettison my plans to get the original to run on my new machine?
Title: Re: Emperor of the Fading Suns....2016?!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on May 04, 2016, 05:45:13 PM
Quote from: Gusington on May 04, 2016, 05:01:12 PM
Can I jettison my plans to get the original to run on my new machine?

I run the original just fine on my Win10 system. It wasn't difficult to get it running.
Title: Re: Emperor of the Fading Suns....2016?!
Post by: Dread Rlyeh on May 04, 2016, 07:02:13 PM
ermuhgud...

That said, given they are showing the original box artwork and 2016, I'm think this is a re-release working on modern versions of windows, maybe some resolution tweaks.  I would love if they tried to squash some remaining bugs and tune the AI up a bit as well, but I doubt it.  One can hope though. 
Title: Re: Emperor of the Fading Suns....2016?!
Post by: bbmike on May 04, 2016, 07:34:29 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 04, 2016, 05:45:13 PM
Quote from: Gusington on May 04, 2016, 05:01:12 PM
Can I jettison my plans to get the original to run on my new machine?

I run the original just fine on my Win10 system. It wasn't difficult to get it running.

Do you use any mods? If you click on the 'Discussions' tab in the link I posted there is an updated Emperor Wars mod.
Title: Re: Emperor of the Fading Suns....2016?!
Post by: tgb on May 04, 2016, 07:37:01 PM
Quote from: Dread Rlyeh on May 04, 2016, 07:02:13 PM
ermuhgud...

That said, given they are showing the original box artwork and 2016, I'm think this is a re-release working on modern versions of windows, maybe some resolution tweaks.  I would love if they tried to squash some remaining bugs and tune the AI up a bit as well, but I doubt it.  One can hope though.

Considering the lack of hype, I tend to agree.
Title: Re: Emperor of the Fading Suns....2016?!
Post by: Gusington on May 04, 2016, 08:10:32 PM
I haven't even checked if it will run on Win 8.1.
Title: Re: Emperor of the Fading Suns....2016?!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on May 04, 2016, 08:28:50 PM
Quote from: bbmike on May 04, 2016, 07:34:29 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 04, 2016, 05:45:13 PM
Quote from: Gusington on May 04, 2016, 05:01:12 PM
Can I jettison my plans to get the original to run on my new machine?

I run the original just fine on my Win10 system. It wasn't difficult to get it running.

Do you use any mods? If you click on the 'Discussions' tab in the link I posted there is an updated Emperor Wars mod.

Yes. I run that mod. I think its at version 3.5.
Title: Re: Emperor of the Fading Suns....2016?!
Post by: Boggit on May 05, 2016, 12:42:34 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 04, 2016, 08:28:50 PM
Quote from: bbmike on May 04, 2016, 07:34:29 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 04, 2016, 05:45:13 PM
Quote from: Gusington on May 04, 2016, 05:01:12 PM
Can I jettison my plans to get the original to run on my new machine?

I run the original just fine on my Win10 system. It wasn't difficult to get it running.

Do you use any mods? If you click on the 'Discussions' tab in the link I posted there is an updated Emperor Wars mod.

Yes. I run that mod. I think its at version 3.5.
What do you think of it? I remember the game was quite popular a long while back, but I never got around to playing it. Marks out of 10?
Title: Re: Emperor of the Fading Suns....2016?!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on May 05, 2016, 12:59:34 PM
Quote from: Boggit on May 05, 2016, 12:42:34 PM

What do you think of it? I remember the game was quite popular a long while back, but I never got around to playing it. Marks out of 10?

Back in the day, it was a solid 10. A really unique game, with some very standout concepts that no other game incorporated. The tactical battle system was awesome. Load troops on to transports send them to different worlds and deploy them, at which point the battle for control of the planet is fought on a global hex based map.  Oh, and the variety of units was tremendous. So many different types of infantry, armor, craft, etc.  Very creative research and technology tree. Space vessels were EXTREMELY valuable as they were so expensive to produce and required some very rare resources. Decent graphics for the time, great plot and background lore and very challenging. I loved how in addition to the 5 major playable factions, there were also some very powerful groups that could exert real game changing influence, such as the Holy Church and the Merchant Guild. Additionally, there were key imperial political positions that if held provided some very significant bonuses, like additional space vessels, armies, etc., which could be used illegally to further your faction's interests.

Today, I would place it maybe between a 6-7. Its still a great game, but like almost all of the old classics, time has tarnished it. 
Title: Re: Emperor of the Fading Suns....2016?!
Post by: Boggit on May 05, 2016, 01:15:08 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 05, 2016, 12:59:34 PM
Quote from: Boggit on May 05, 2016, 12:42:34 PM

What do you think of it? I remember the game was quite popular a long while back, but I never got around to playing it. Marks out of 10?

Back in the day, it was a solid 10. A really unique game, with some very standout concepts that no other game incorporated. The tactical battle system was awesome. Load troops on to transports send them to different worlds and deploy them, at which point the battle for control of the planet is fought on a global hex based map.  Oh, and the variety of units was tremendous. So many different types of infantry, armor, craft, etc.  Very creative research and technology tree. Space vessels were EXTREMELY valuable as they were so expensive to produce and required some very rare resources. Decent graphics for the time, great plot and background lore and very challenging. I loved how in addition to the 5 major playable factions, there were also some very powerful groups that could exert real game changing influence, such as the Holy Church and the Merchant Guild. Additionally, there were key imperial political positions that if held provided some very significant bonuses, like additional space vessels, armies, etc., which could be used illegally to further your faction's interests.

Today, I would place it maybe between a 6-7. Its still a great game, but like almost all of the old classics, time has tarnished it.
Thanks JH. :) It sounds like it's definitely worth adding to the collection, especially if this release updates it to more modern standards. The gameplay sounds like it ticks all the right boxes. O0
Title: Re: Emperor of the Fading Suns....2016?!
Post by: Dread Rlyeh on May 05, 2016, 01:15:52 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 05, 2016, 12:59:34 PM
Quote from: Boggit on May 05, 2016, 12:42:34 PM

What do you think of it? I remember the game was quite popular a long while back, but I never got around to playing it. Marks out of 10?

Back in the day, it was a solid 10. A really unique game, with some very standout concepts that no other game incorporated. The tactical battle system was awesome. Load troops on to transports send them to different worlds and deploy them, at which point the battle for control of the planet is fought on a global hex based map.  Space vessels were EXTREMELY valuable as they were so expensive to produce and required some very rare resources. Decent graphics for the time, great plot and background lore and very challenging. Today, I would place it maybe between a 6-7. Its still a great game, but like almost all of the old classics, time has tarnished it.
I give it a 10 for effort, but more like a 7 for execution (at least initially).  There were plenty of bugs at release and I remember emailing the devs some save games of mine during Christmas break.  I'm a bit OCD when it comes to certain issues and the Church wasn't moving it's units.  Made it unplayable for me.   They fixed that in a patch, but there were a number of other issues.  Can't really remember the specifics, this was probably 20 years ago. 

I came back to it after a few years and I recall some AI issues even using the latest mods.  That said, the game really captured my imagination, even if the lore wasn't super original.   Still, can't really go wrong drawing from Herbert as one of your influences :)

Speaking of mods, the announcement maybe a mod:  - note the "COMING SOON - EMPEROR OF THE FADING SUNS "LOST WORLDS" on the steam page.

Now, check this out:
Emperor of the Fading Suns - Emperor Wars Mod 3.5 Released
« on: May 03, 2016, 02:51:02 pm
This is the last Emperor Wars update before the Emperor of the Fading Suns - Lost Worlds Mod that will introduce the Vuldrok World of Hargard and the Kurgan Caliphate and the planet of Hira.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=157929.0
Title: Re: Emperor of the Fading Suns....2016?!
Post by: Boggit on May 05, 2016, 01:22:55 PM
I'm getting really interested in this game. Now, where to find a download site, and then to add the 3.5 mod? 8)

I also learnt something new - they did Warhammer 40K - Final Liberation - I have that on disc somewhere, and that was a good game in its day... http://www.holistic-design.com/?page_id=103
Title: Re: Emperor of the Fading Suns....2016?!
Post by: Boggit on May 05, 2016, 01:28:37 PM
I should ask first... is the 3.5 mod a standalone game, or do I need to find the base game then mod it? Any advice and links are appreciated.
Title: Re: Emperor of the Fading Suns....2016?!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on May 05, 2016, 01:45:22 PM
Quote from: Boggit on May 05, 2016, 01:28:37 PM
I should ask first... is the 3.5 mod a standalone game, or do I need to find the base game then mod it? Any advice and links are appreciated.

You do not need to buy the base game. There is a site that wraps the 3.5 mod up with everything you need. I believe the game is in the public domain now, but don't quote me on that...its not legal advice.  :coolsmiley:

This link should have everything you need...

https://sites.google.com/site/emperorwarsfadingsuns/home/emperor-of-the-fading-suns-emperor-wars---reality-mod---downlao (https://sites.google.com/site/emperorwarsfadingsuns/home/emperor-of-the-fading-suns-emperor-wars---reality-mod---downlao)

Unfortunately, the intro video doesn't work...its on youtube though and is worth a watch. It really sets the mood.

Title: Re: Emperor of the Fading Suns....2016?!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on May 05, 2016, 01:49:21 PM
Quote from: Dread Rlyeh on May 05, 2016, 01:15:52 PM

Now, check this out:
Emperor of the Fading Suns - Emperor Wars Mod 3.5 Released
« on: May 03, 2016, 02:51:02 pm
This is the last Emperor Wars update before the Emperor of the Fading Suns - Lost Worlds Mod that will introduce the Vuldrok World of Hargard and the Kurgan Caliphate and the planet of Hira.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=157929.0

I think you're on the money here...
Title: Re: Emperor of the Fading Suns....2016?!
Post by: Boggit on May 05, 2016, 01:49:44 PM
Thanks JH, and Dread Rlyeh too. I appreciate that. O0
Title: Re: Emperor of the Fading Suns....2016?!
Post by: Tpek on May 05, 2016, 03:27:04 PM
Has anyone actually ever played the tabletop RPG (besides myself that is)?
Title: Re: Emperor of the Fading Suns....2016?!
Post by: bbmike on May 05, 2016, 03:32:03 PM
Didn't know it was a tabletop RPG. Is this the one (http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/25993/Fading-Suns-Rulebook-Second-Edition-Revised?src=slider_view&it=1&filters=0_0_10107_0_0)?
Title: Re: Emperor of the Fading Suns....2016?!
Post by: Nefaro on May 05, 2016, 11:56:13 PM
Quote from: Tpek on May 05, 2016, 03:27:04 PM
Has anyone actually ever played the tabletop RPG (besides myself that is)?

Quote from: bbmike on May 05, 2016, 03:32:03 PM
Didn't know it was a tabletop RPG. Is this the one (http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/25993/Fading-Suns-Rulebook-Second-Edition-Revised?src=slider_view&it=1&filters=0_0_10107_0_0)?


Wasn't the original one from the 80s?  In a boxed set or something?
Title: Re: Emperor of the Fading Suns....2016?!
Post by: Tpek on May 06, 2016, 01:15:52 AM
I never saw any boxed-collections.
I just had the main rulebook (indeed the revised 2nd edition) and some sourcebooks.
Title: Re: Emperor of the Fading Suns....2016?!
Post by: Ian C on May 06, 2016, 07:30:56 AM
Quote from: bbmike on May 05, 2016, 03:32:03 PM
Didn't know it was a tabletop RPG. Is this the one (http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/25993/Fading-Suns-Rulebook-Second-Edition-Revised?src=slider_view&it=1&filters=0_0_10107_0_0)?

Yep, I think it is.

There's an updated version with other source books here: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/17/Holistic-Design

Title: Re: Emperor of the Fading Suns....2016?!
Post by: Wolfe1759 on May 06, 2016, 12:28:30 PM
Quote from: Tpek on May 05, 2016, 03:27:04 PM
Has anyone actually ever played the tabletop RPG (besides myself that is)?

Played a fair bit of it a few years back, have 1st (softback book) and 2nd  (hardback book) edition rulebooks and pretty much all the supplements including Nobel Armada 1st edition boxed set with miniatures and 2nd edition expanded rule book.

Never played the computer game though.