GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: 21sec on May 12, 2016, 11:23:08 AM

Title: Pro Football Strategy 2016
Post by: 21sec on May 12, 2016, 11:23:08 AM
This looks very interesting. It is currently in Steam's Greenlight process.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=608100059&searchtext=pro+football
Title: Re: Pro Football Strategy 2016
Post by: Steelgrave on May 12, 2016, 11:33:50 AM
21sec? Funny, that's the nickname Gus's wife gave him  8)
Title: Re: Pro Football Strategy 2016
Post by: mirth on May 12, 2016, 11:52:32 AM
Quote from: Steelgrave on May 12, 2016, 11:33:50 AM
21sec? Funny, that's the nickname Gus's wife gave him  8)

Actually that was 2.1sec.
Title: Re: Pro Football Strategy 2016
Post by: 21sec on May 12, 2016, 03:27:25 PM
It's actually 21SEC, as in at one time Alabama hd 21 SEC titles. They keep accumulating too fast now. It would be too much of a pain to change the number after each season on various message boards.
Title: Re: Pro Football Strategy 2016
Post by: Nefaro on May 12, 2016, 05:29:19 PM
Looks like it was made for a tablet, but I don't see that as being a big deal for such straightforward text-based sports manager games.

Career Mode?  Sign me the fuque up!


Quote from: Steam Page
Release date: Q1 2016

Uhhh.  Not done yet I suppose?   ???
Title: Re: Pro Football Strategy 2016
Post by: Grim.Reaper on May 12, 2016, 05:47:07 PM
Its been out on mobile for awhile...actually not a bad game for a mobile game.  Not sure I would play on the desktop and certainly is not a hard core sim by any means.
Title: Re: Pro Football Strategy 2016
Post by: Steelgrave on May 12, 2016, 06:53:37 PM
What I'm seeing doesn't do much for me, to be honest. If everything is developed as planned, it could be worth a closer look. I'm still waiting for the next Front Page Sports Football I suppose. And not the crappy ripoff remake either.
Title: Re: Pro Football Strategy 2016
Post by: Grim.Reaper on May 12, 2016, 06:57:45 PM
Quote from: Steelgrave on May 12, 2016, 06:53:37 PM
What I'm seeing doesn't do much for me, to be honest. I'm still waiting for the next Front Page Sports Football I suppose. And not the crappy ripoff remake either.

This game is definitely not the next FPSF...sadly, we'll likely never see it, although the new OOTP football game may come close (except without the ability to control the players), when/if ever released.
Title: Re: Pro Football Strategy 2016
Post by: Steelgrave on May 12, 2016, 06:59:06 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on May 12, 2016, 06:57:45 PM
Quote from: Steelgrave on May 12, 2016, 06:53:37 PM
What I'm seeing doesn't do much for me, to be honest. I'm still waiting for the next Front Page Sports Football I suppose. And not the crappy ripoff remake either.

This game is definitely not the next FPSF...sadly, we'll likely never see it, although the new OOTP football game may come close (except without the ability to control the players), when/if ever released.

That's the one I'm most enamored with. OOTP is holding all of my football sim hopes and dreams at this point  8)
Title: Re: Pro Football Strategy 2016
Post by: Grim.Reaper on May 12, 2016, 07:06:06 PM
Quote from: Steelgrave on May 12, 2016, 06:59:06 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on May 12, 2016, 06:57:45 PM
Quote from: Steelgrave on May 12, 2016, 06:53:37 PM
What I'm seeing doesn't do much for me, to be honest. I'm still waiting for the next Front Page Sports Football I suppose. And not the crappy ripoff remake either.

This game is definitely not the next FPSF...sadly, we'll likely never see it, although the new OOTP football game may come close (except without the ability to control the players), when/if ever released.

That's the one I'm most enamored with. OOTP is holding all of my football sim hopes and dreams at this point  8)

Me too...although the new Front Office Football also sounds promising...if they can take away some of the tedious things such as overly detailed game planning, I would be in heaven:)  It won't have the graphics and such, but a step in the right direction.
Title: Re: Pro Football Strategy 2016
Post by: Steelgrave on May 12, 2016, 07:33:38 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on May 12, 2016, 07:06:06 PM
Quote from: Steelgrave on May 12, 2016, 06:59:06 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on May 12, 2016, 06:57:45 PM
Quote from: Steelgrave on May 12, 2016, 06:53:37 PM
What I'm seeing doesn't do much for me, to be honest. I'm still waiting for the next Front Page Sports Football I suppose. And not the crappy ripoff remake either.

This game is definitely not the next FPSF...sadly, we'll likely never see it, although the new OOTP football game may come close (except without the ability to control the players), when/if ever released.

That's the one I'm most enamored with. OOTP is holding all of my football sim hopes and dreams at this point  8)

Me too...although the new Front Office Football also sounds promising...if they can take away some of the tedious things such as overly detailed game planning, I would be in heaven:)  It won't have the graphics and such, but a step in the right direction.

I'm happy to purchase 'em both if they live up to their promise. Break my heart to have a couple of good NFL games on my computer.
Title: Re: Pro Football Strategy 2016
Post by: MetalDog on May 12, 2016, 09:18:00 PM
Quote from: 21sec on May 12, 2016, 03:27:25 PM
It's actually 21SEC, as in at one time Alabama hd 21 SEC titles. They keep accumulating too fast now. It would be too much of a pain to change the number after each season on various message boards.

Roll Tide!


Quote from: Steelgrave on May 12, 2016, 07:33:38 PM
Break my heart to have a couple of good NFL games on my computer.

Amen!
Title: Re: Pro Football Strategy 2016
Post by: Lowenstaat on May 12, 2016, 10:46:10 PM
I think it traces its lineage back to a game called Tom Landry Strategy Football for DOS. I played that game many times on DOS Box and always wished it had a career mode rather than just a season mode. The latest version of Pro Strategy Football on iPhone does have career mode, and the game play on the field, or coaching from the sidelines I should say, remains similar to Tom Landry Strategy Football.
Here's the link to the Pro Strategy Football site: http://www.prostrategyfootball.com/ (http://www.prostrategyfootball.com/)
Here's Tom Landry Strategy Football Deluxe Edition at Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Tom-Landry-Strategy-Football-Deluxe-PC/dp/B0016D36R4 (http://www.amazon.com/Tom-Landry-Strategy-Football-Deluxe-PC/dp/B0016D36R4)
Here's a YouTube video of someone playing TLFS:
Title: Re: Pro Football Strategy 2016
Post by: glen55 on May 12, 2016, 11:31:14 PM
Quote from: 21sec on May 12, 2016, 03:27:25 PM
It's actually 21SEC, as in at one time Alabama hd 21 SEC titles. They keep accumulating too fast now. It would be too much of a pain to change the number after each season on various message boards.

Roll Tide, baby.  Are you on BOL or Tidesports?  I used to write for rollbamaroll.com.
Title: Re: Pro Football Strategy 2016
Post by: Nefaro on May 12, 2016, 11:43:12 PM
At $3, I may end up putting it on my Kindle Fire version early.  But the PC version is supposed to have some extra features.
Title: Re: Pro Football Strategy 2016
Post by: 21sec on May 13, 2016, 07:36:21 AM
Quote from: glen55 on May 12, 2016, 11:31:14 PM
Quote from: 21sec on May 12, 2016, 03:27:25 PM
It's actually 21SEC, as in at one time Alabama hd 21 SEC titles. They keep accumulating too fast now. It would be too much of a pain to change the number after each season on various message boards.

Roll Tide, baby.  Are you on BOL or Tidesports?  I used to write for rollbamaroll.com.

Roll Tide! I used to have subscriptions to both, but I let them lapse. Now I just read the free content.

I think the game is at least worth a "Yes" vote from any PC football fan to help it make it through Steam's Greenlight process.
Title: Re: Pro Football Strategy 2016
Post by: Steelgrave on May 13, 2016, 08:59:09 AM
Quote from: 21sec on May 13, 2016, 07:36:21 AM
I think the game is at least worth a "Yes" vote from any PC football fan to help it make it through Steam's Greenlight process.

Agreed. And done.
Title: Re: Pro Football Strategy 2016
Post by: bbmike on May 13, 2016, 09:21:15 AM
+1
Title: Re: Pro Football Strategy 2016
Post by: glen55 on May 13, 2016, 08:12:17 PM
Quote from: 21sec on May 13, 2016, 07:36:21 AM
Quote from: glen55 on May 12, 2016, 11:31:14 PM
Quote from: 21sec on May 12, 2016, 03:27:25 PM
It's actually 21SEC, as in at one time Alabama hd 21 SEC titles. They keep accumulating too fast now. It would be too much of a pain to change the number after each season on various message boards.

Roll Tide, baby.  Are you on BOL or Tidesports?  I used to write for rollbamaroll.com.

Roll Tide! I used to have subscriptions to both, but I let them lapse. Now I just read the free content.

I think the game is at least worth a "Yes" vote from any PC football fan to help it make it through Steam's Greenlight process.

Boy, we could so hijack this thread now.  This year's looking GOOD.

I have it the up vote, although to tell the truth I am much more interested in a college game.  Limited to FOF:TCY and BBCF now.  (Anybody who's really, really interested, like me, doesn't need those acronyms broken out.)
Title: Re: Pro Football Strategy 2016
Post by: Grim.Reaper on May 14, 2016, 10:41:37 AM
Quote from: Lowenstaat on May 12, 2016, 10:46:10 PM
I think it traces its lineage back to a game called Tom Landry Strategy Football for DOS. I played that game many times on DOS Box and always wished it had a career mode rather than just a season mode. The latest version of Pro Strategy Football on iPhone does have career mode, and the game play on the field, or coaching from the sidelines I should say, remains similar to Tom Landry Strategy Football.
Here's the link to the Pro Strategy Football site: http://www.prostrategyfootball.com/ (http://www.prostrategyfootball.com/)
Here's Tom Landry Strategy Football Deluxe Edition at Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Tom-Landry-Strategy-Football-Deluxe-PC/dp/B0016D36R4 (http://www.amazon.com/Tom-Landry-Strategy-Football-Deluxe-PC/dp/B0016D36R4)
Here's a YouTube video of someone playing TLFS:


yes, the developer is the person who first created Tom Landry football...appears he did it for Masters work in college...link to an interview that gives some of the background.

http://blog.cocos2d-x.org/2016/05/interview-with-kerry-batts-author-of-pro-strategy-football/
Title: Re: Pro Football Strategy 2016
Post by: Lowenstaat on September 06, 2016, 03:07:50 PM
Pro Strategy Football is now available on Steam for $34.99. Looks like a good transition from mobile platforms to PC (Mac still in development). I was expecting a price closer to $19.99, so if anyone buys and plays it, please let us know what you think about its gameplay and if you think it is worth the current price. I'm on the fence about purchasing it without more evidence that career coach mode has legs to go the distance in what I look for in football gaming.
Title: Re: Pro Football Strategy 2016
Post by: Grim.Reaper on September 06, 2016, 05:01:47 PM
Wow....steep price for mobile translation....does it have more features than the $4 mobile version?  Although a decent time waster on my tablet, don't think its good enough to spend that kind of money on it.
Title: Re: Pro Football Strategy 2016
Post by: Tosh on September 06, 2016, 05:13:30 PM
Ahh GR, I hoped you would report your initial impressions about PSF.
Now I will probably wait until it goes on sale, or gets very favorable reviews.

Btw. is Second and Ten worth $49? I have the demo (and like the play calling stuff), but somehow I struggle to understand whats the purpose of replaying past seasons. Can you enlighten me?
Title: Re: Pro Football Strategy 2016
Post by: Grim.Reaper on September 06, 2016, 05:31:49 PM
Nope, don't enjoy the mobile version enough to buy it, too generic for me, although again fun little time waster on a mobile device:)  Kind of a crazy price for it in my opinion....especially in comparison to FOF.

I enjoy both types of football games, career based and replay based...so my answer to you on SAT is based on my personal opinion.....I simply love both types of games so I play both.  SAT is a very good game, so is its' competitor ActionPC Football.  Big advantage of SAT, comes with all the NFL seasons where with APC, you need to purchase separately.  I own and enjoy them both.  But probably if I had to choose between the two, I would give the edge to APC because much more detailed play calling and every year a new enhanced version comes out (of course with a cost).  APC seasons go on sale all the time so you can pick them up cheap if your patient.  If you prefer a "board game" feel, SAT would be a better option for you since it shows you the how behind the outcomes, while with APC the magic is hidden behind the scenes....both yield realistic results, just in different ways.  If you have more specific questions, let me know.

As for the purpose of season replay games, quite simply the fun is the challenge of seeing if you could do better than in real life...can you make better coaching decisions leading to more victories?  A lot of people think the games play out exactly like real life, so what's the point in playing....that hasn't been my experience at all.  There is enough variables where the season plays out differently within reasonable boundaries.  Your not going to see a hardly used RB suddenly gain 2,000 yards in a replay, but you could see them do a little better or worse.  Within APC, there is even an alternate reality mode that still gives you reasonable results, but far more variable outcomes.
Title: Re: Pro Football Strategy 2016
Post by: WYBaugh on September 06, 2016, 06:23:05 PM
I think his older version looks much better than the new one.  What is with the large yellow circle mouse pointer?  Wasn't thinking on this...it's probably from the recording software to show where the mouse is.

I'll lighten up on the UI and will watch reviews.
Title: Re: Pro Football Strategy 2016
Post by: Tosh on September 06, 2016, 06:35:23 PM
Thanks GR for your detailed and very helpful response. I probably will take a closer look at APC too.
Concerning the more detailed play calling in APC: I´m more a fan of football, than that I have a profund tactical knowledge, also never played football myself as I´m non US. Would you still recommend APC in my case, or should I preferably stick to the more streamlined play calling of SAT?
Title: Re: Pro Football Strategy 2016
Post by: Grim.Reaper on September 06, 2016, 06:40:54 PM
One other good thing about apc.....full 30 day money back guarantee.  Allows you to fully try the game and if you don't like, you get full refund.

It's a tough question as to what's easier....both require some football knowledge with strategy.  Since you already have demo of sat and know what it's like, you may want to try apc to see difference.  Apc also has 2d field animation if you like that stuff.
Title: Re: Pro Football Strategy 2016
Post by: Nefaro on September 06, 2016, 09:08:40 PM
Quote from: Tosh on September 06, 2016, 06:35:23 PM
Thanks GR for your detailed and very helpful response. I probably will take a closer look at APC too.
Concerning the more detailed play calling in APC: I´m more a fan of football, than that I have a profund tactical knowledge, also never played football myself as I´m non US. Would you still recommend APC in my case, or should I preferably stick to the more streamlined play calling of SAT?

SAT will be much easier to get into, if you're not very familiar with the sport.  Because the strategy & terminology is more abstracted.

When you are comfortable with what you learned there, then moving on to something more detailed would be a good second step.   The rules and nomenclature of American Football is quite different from other popular sports, so it may require more time to learn for novices.  It also has an unusually large focus on pre-planned strategy for 11-man teams with many different positions and restrictions on them. 

Much to learn! Start small and work upward.
Title: Re: Pro Football Strategy 2016
Post by: Grim.Reaper on September 07, 2016, 04:59:49 AM
Yes, SAT10 has less options to choose than APC, so that certainly would make it easier if that is your main goal.  In APC, you do have the option to turn on "Quick Plays" for offense which you then pick from a simple list of plays (don't have to choose all the special options) and either choose the player to execute or let the CPU do it...fairly simple.  However on Defense, you don't have the same simply options available so you do need to make additional calls (formations, pass coverage, blitzes, line slants, keying on runners, etc.), which may confuse you if not familiar with football.  There is also an option to allow the CPU to totally call your offensive or defensive plays (SAT has this as well), which is handy until you become familiar.  One thing to consider is your long term needs.....one or the other may be easier to start out with, but once you become comfortable with Football, you may desire wanting more robust play calling options....then you'll end up buying both like me:)  One other consideration for APC...they release a "projection season" (must purchase) where it allows you to play along with the current season versus playing a season replay.  They use some magic formulas to project player's performance which then allows you to play the current season, which is actually my favorite way of playing.  The projection season for this year should be released within the next week or so.

My best advice is to still try both to determine which you like best....they play differently and only you can decide what's best for you.  With SAT's demo and APC's money back offer, absolutely no risk in giving both a shot.  As I first stated, I think both games are good so you likely won't go wrong with your choice depending on what you like.

We didn't even discuss StratFootball, which is another option...its a decent game and not overly complex, but can be pretty expensive.  For me at the moment, it ranks #3 on my list.  Since it is purely based on a board game, it doesn't click as well with me since you really need to be able to understand it more so then in SAT.
Title: Re: Pro Football Strategy 2016
Post by: Nefaro on September 07, 2016, 11:26:44 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 06, 2016, 05:01:47 PM
Wow....steep price for mobile translation....does it have more features than the $4 mobile version?  Although a decent time waster on my tablet, don't think its good enough to spend that kind of money on it.


Did he add any more features to the PC version?

I want to pick it up, but the price was a bit higher than expected and there is no Free Agency in it.  But it's a new "career" football sim, so I'll probably pick it up in the next few months.
Title: Re: Pro Football Strategy 2016
Post by: Grim.Reaper on September 07, 2016, 05:52:33 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on September 07, 2016, 11:26:44 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 06, 2016, 05:01:47 PM
Wow....steep price for mobile translation....does it have more features than the $4 mobile version?  Although a decent time waster on my tablet, don't think its good enough to spend that kind of money on it.


Did he add any more features to the PC version?

I want to pick it up, but the price was a bit higher than expected and there is no Free Agency in it.  But it's a new "career" football sim, so I'll probably pick it up in the next few months.

I haven't heard any differences, but not sure.  Hope he did not make a mistake in his pricing strategy......personally feels more like a $15-$20 game, especially since the mobile version is $4 and not that different.  Not sure how accurate steam charts are, but looks like maybe at most 8 people playing this game at a time.

http://steamcharts.com/app/499070
Title: Re: Pro Football Strategy 2016
Post by: Nefaro on September 07, 2016, 09:20:27 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 07, 2016, 05:52:33 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on September 07, 2016, 11:26:44 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 06, 2016, 05:01:47 PM
Wow....steep price for mobile translation....does it have more features than the $4 mobile version?  Although a decent time waster on my tablet, don't think its good enough to spend that kind of money on it.


Did he add any more features to the PC version?

I want to pick it up, but the price was a bit higher than expected and there is no Free Agency in it.  But it's a new "career" football sim, so I'll probably pick it up in the next few months.

I haven't heard any differences, but not sure.  Hope he did not make a mistake in his pricing strategy......personally feels more like a $15-$20 game, especially since the mobile version is $4 and not that different.  Not sure how accurate steam charts are, but looks like maybe at most 8 people playing this game at a time.

http://steamcharts.com/app/499070


Did the mobile version have extra additional paid DLC, like some tend to do?  Perhaps extras were all bundled up in the PC version?  Or not...

I can understand a slightly higher price, even if it's just a straight port, but that IS quite a leap if the feature set & content is the same.
Title: Re: Pro Football Strategy 2016
Post by: Grim.Reaper on September 08, 2016, 04:24:33 AM
I don't recall any dlc for mobile version, I know I didn't buy any.
Title: Re: Pro Football Strategy 2016
Post by: Nefaro on September 08, 2016, 09:55:07 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 08, 2016, 04:24:33 AM
I don't recall any dlc for mobile version, I know I didn't buy any.


So why is this thing listed at over 8x the price of the original?  That's quite a disparity.



Title: Re: Pro Football Strategy 2016
Post by: Grim.Reaper on September 08, 2016, 05:37:44 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on September 08, 2016, 09:55:07 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 08, 2016, 04:24:33 AM
I don't recall any dlc for mobile version, I know I didn't buy any.


So why is this thing listed at over 8x the price of the original?  That's quite a disparity.

Because the developer can do what he wants:)

...and me the consumer won't be purchasing..not just because of price, but it doesn't have anything that would make be play it over other football games.
Title: Re: Pro Football Strategy 2016
Post by: Tosh on September 08, 2016, 06:32:12 PM
Thanks to the helpful advice of GR and Nef I finally broke down and got me APC Football along with the projection season and the 1990 season, while its on sale.
Now I can try to win a Championship for the talented, but unfortunate Bills.
Thank you again guys.

Title: Re: Pro Football Strategy 2016
Post by: Grim.Reaper on September 08, 2016, 06:46:40 PM
Quote from: Tosh on September 08, 2016, 06:32:12 PM
Thanks to the helpful advice of GR and Nef I finally broke down and got me APC Football along with the projection season and the 1990 season, while its on sale.
Now I can try to win a Championship for the talented, but unfortunate Bills.
Thank you again guys.

Let me know how it goes and if you have any questions about the game...enjoy.
Title: Re: Pro Football Strategy 2016
Post by: Grim.Reaper on September 10, 2016, 11:34:23 AM
Saw the developer just release the updated version for mobile and it is.......$6.99.  Head scratcher still.
Title: Re: Pro Football Strategy 2016
Post by: Tosh on September 16, 2016, 04:56:40 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 08, 2016, 06:46:40 PM
Let me know how it goes and if you have any questions about the game...enjoy.

Hi GR,

I don´t don´t know whether to post here or to PM you, but just in case, someone's lurking, I choose to go publicly.

So far I´m enjoying APC very much and think its superior to Sat 10, because it offers way more play calling options.

But here is my question. As the projection season is out for a couple of days, I would like to know , if there  is a way to play this season "twice" simultaneously.
On the one hand to pick a team and follow it through its season, and on the other hand to pick the most interessting match up on a specific game day.
Title: Re: Pro Football Strategy 2016
Post by: Grim.Reaper on September 16, 2016, 05:02:55 PM
Projection season was released last night, so now available.

You can install the projection and any regular season multiple times....when you choose the option to install the season within the game, just change the name to something unique....you can install as many times as you want and then you can switch between them.
Title: Re: Pro Football Strategy 2016
Post by: Tosh on September 16, 2016, 05:24:32 PM
Ah. good to know. Thanks for the info GR. Btw. whats your prefered prefered playing style concerning the projection season?
Title: Re: Pro Football Strategy 2016
Post by: Grim.Reaper on September 16, 2016, 05:30:11 PM
Quote from: Tosh on September 16, 2016, 05:24:32 PM
Ah. good to know. Thanks for the info GR. Btw. whats your prefered prefered playing style concerning the projection season?

What do you mean by playing style?  I typically pick my favorite team and try and play along with the current season...game a week just to see if I can do better then they do in real life.
Title: Re: Pro Football Strategy 2016
Post by: Tosh on September 16, 2016, 05:59:06 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 16, 2016, 05:30:11 PM
What do you mean by playing style?

Picking a Team vs picking a match up on a given game day. I was just curious to know. While I have a favorite team (Steelers for no obvious reasons), and like to follow quite a lot of teams (Packers, Bears, Jets, Chiefs and some others),  I usually don´t play them, because I like playing some underdog teams. But that can be quite frustrating over the course of a season, esp. given my inexperience.
Title: Re: Pro Football Strategy 2016
Post by: Grim.Reaper on September 16, 2016, 06:05:12 PM
Not me, I only play my favorite team in all sports games:)  Steelers are also my favorite team and they should be represented really good in the projection season! 
Title: Re: Pro Football Strategy 2016
Post by: Tosh on September 16, 2016, 06:32:28 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 16, 2016, 05:30:11 PM


I typically pick my favorite team and try and play along with the current season...game a week just to see if I can do better then they do in real life.

If they put up a 13-3 record for example that's quite an ambitious task. That's why I choose lower tier teams. Just to increase my chances to do better than they in real life. I'm weak. ;)
Title: Re: Pro Football Strategy 2016
Post by: Grim.Reaper on September 16, 2016, 06:33:45 PM
Nothing wrong with shooting for 16-0 :)  I have high goals.......