GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Grim.Reaper on June 01, 2016, 05:58:00 AM

Title: Beta testing for strategic command
Post by: Grim.Reaper on June 01, 2016, 05:58:00 AM
Beta test call for upcoming strategic command 3

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4091181
Title: Re: Beta testing for strategic command
Post by: Greybriar on June 01, 2016, 06:16:43 AM
Thanks for the heads-up, Grim.  O0

But let's save a step. Here's a link to the Matrix Games Beta Test page (http://matrix%20games%20beta%20test).
Title: Re: Beta testing for strategic command
Post by: Ian C on June 01, 2016, 06:24:15 AM
Any screen shots?
Title: Re: Beta testing for strategic command
Post by: Hofstadter on June 01, 2016, 06:26:03 AM
Quote from: Ian C on June 01, 2016, 06:24:15 AM
Any screen shots?

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3641360
Title: Re: Beta testing for strategic command
Post by: Rayfer on June 01, 2016, 06:42:41 AM
Quote from: Hofstadter on June 01, 2016, 06:26:03 AM
Quote from: Ian C on June 01, 2016, 06:24:15 AM
Any screen shots?

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3641360

Glad to see hexes and a choice of counters or sprites (didn't like the look of the sprites though).
Title: Re: Beta testing for strategic command
Post by: jomni on June 01, 2016, 07:38:17 AM
Battlefront dumped the franchise?
Title: Re: Beta testing for strategic command
Post by: tgb on June 01, 2016, 10:50:06 AM
Is anyone else as bored with WWII as I am?
Title: Re: Beta testing for strategic command
Post by: FlickJax on June 01, 2016, 10:56:51 AM
never, but those screenshots didnt wet my whistle at all.....
Title: Re: Beta testing for strategic command
Post by: bbmike on June 01, 2016, 12:04:58 PM
Quote from: FlickJax on June 01, 2016, 10:56:51 AM
never, but those screenshots didnt wet my whistle at all.....

Then you should go back and look at Strategic Command 2 screenshots.  :P
Title: Re: Beta testing for strategic command
Post by: Greybriar on June 01, 2016, 02:11:45 PM
Quote from: jomni on June 01, 2016, 07:38:17 AM
Battlefront dumped the franchise?
Maybe Fury Software dumped Battlefront? :-\

Quote from: tgb on June 01, 2016, 10:50:06 AM
Is anyone else as bored with WWII as I am?
I am not any more bored with World War II than I am with the countless PC games of all other time periods being offered today.
Title: Re: Beta testing for strategic command
Post by: Wolfe1759 on June 01, 2016, 04:10:17 PM
Quote from: tgb on June 01, 2016, 10:50:06 AM
Is anyone else as bored with WWII as I am?

"No, Sir, when a man is tired of WWII, he is tired of war gaming; for there is in WWII all that gaming can afford." - (not) Samuel Johnson.

Title: Re: Beta testing for strategic command
Post by: GJK on June 01, 2016, 04:40:41 PM
Also am glad that it's back to hexes but I just can't help but getting the feeling that it's another flavor of "Panzer General" or maybe too similar to "Commander: Europe at War".  I'll have to read the developers log though to see if this offers enough uniqueness and depth of play for me however.

But I sure wish somebody would remake Computer Third Reich or even better, add an AI to the A World at War pbem tool that is out there.  Computer War in Europe has wonderful boardgame like implementation but that thing is just too much of a monster for my tastes but would love to have an AI with it as otherwise.  Ron Dockal's game is probably closer to something that I'd seek if I were really Jonesing for a computer adaption of "War in Europe" but that thing is even more of a monster than CWIE.  Overall, I'd just stick with TOAW and the many various scales and implementations of ETO that you can get with it - and with the graphical improvements to it, why look elsewhere on the computer side of things?
Title: Re: Beta testing for strategic command
Post by: sandman2575 on June 01, 2016, 05:02:00 PM
Quote from: Wolfe1759 on June 01, 2016, 04:10:17 PM
"No, Sir, when a man is tired of WWII, he is tired of war gaming; for there is in WWII all that gaming can afford." - (not) Samuel Johnson.

Well played, sir, well played.  :coolsmiley:
Title: Re: Beta testing for strategic command
Post by: PipFromSlitherine on June 02, 2016, 10:25:57 AM
While it's well out of my wheelhouse, at our recent developer event I got to see it running and a walkthrough of some AI behaviours and it is pretty impressive in that regard.  I think it will be mana from (grog-) heaven for a lot of people :)

Cheers

Pip
Title: Re: Beta testing for strategic command
Post by: Zonso on June 02, 2016, 01:29:25 PM
Squares or hexes, this will be a day 1 purchase. The 'Strategic Command series' has had years of refinement from the player base to make arguably the best WWII strategic game period. This looks to expand on an already good thing, and as mentioned it has a very, very good AI.
Title: Re: Beta testing for strategic command
Post by: Grim.Reaper on June 02, 2016, 01:46:31 PM
I'll have to admit.....never really enjoyed or got into the past versions so I am hoping the new version does end up changing my mind....it really wasn't the graphics (although could have been better), just something about the game flow did not click with me and if I remember correctly, turn processing was not that fast...

So although I don't think it will be a day one purchase for me, I hope it does become an eventual purchase.....
Title: Re: Beta testing for strategic command
Post by: Tosh on June 02, 2016, 04:22:45 PM
Its wait & see for me. Over at Matrix, Iain McNeill points out the improved AI. That's certainly a good point, but the lack of actual screenshots puts me a bit off (the screens in the linked thread are 2 years old & looking awful to me). I fear its too much the same old stuff we did in the last 20 years over and over again in some way or the other.
Title: Re: Beta testing for strategic command
Post by: GJK on June 02, 2016, 05:12:40 PM
I remember the 1st StratCom was "cute"; light and playable.  Never tried the 2nd version with the diamond-squares.  I don't recall how the combat resolution is calculated from the 1st one or how it may be calculated in this new one; is it CRT based?  Hi random number+your SP's that wins?  Anybody know how this series works under the hood?
Title: Re: Beta testing for strategic command
Post by: steve58 on June 17, 2016, 10:32:43 AM
...some new screenshots up.

http://www.matrixgames.com/news/1970/Strategic.Command.WWII:.War.in.Europe.reveals.a.full.set.of.screenshots!..
Title: Re: Beta testing for strategic command
Post by: pzgndr on June 17, 2016, 01:15:54 PM
I've been playtesting for Hubert Cater since way back in SC1.  The thing that got me hooked is the fuzzy logic AI which is pretty good.  The text editable event and AI scripting introduced in SC2 and continually improved along the way is great.  It allows modders like me to create new games, like my Advanced Third Reich mod with challenging AI for both sides.

Players should be happy with the return of hexes in SC3 and a lot of improvements.  I won't spoil any news about the new game, but I am working on an update for my A3R mod and it's coming along nicely.  As we get closer to release I'll post some news and screenshots for A3R. 
Title: Re: Beta testing for strategic command
Post by: Grim.Reaper on October 04, 2016, 05:27:55 PM
Saw this video today......also saw estimate release is Mid November....

still not sure about it myself, but I know others enjoy it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4gKAykukAU&feature=youtu.be&a
Title: Re: Beta testing for strategic command
Post by: JasonPratt on October 05, 2016, 11:29:22 AM
Even though I'm not sold on how this is supposed to be distinct from the Commander series -- and man, those screenies did nothing for me at all -- let us all recall that for all practical purposes Supreme Commander 3: WW2 In Europe has existed for years, in its classic format, as an official mode to a game with very high praise: Strategic Command: WW1: Breakthrough (or whatever it's called).
Title: Re: Beta testing for strategic command
Post by: RyanE on October 05, 2016, 12:21:05 PM
To me, SC3 is just taking the squares in SC2 and turning them into hexes...finally.
Title: Re: Beta testing for strategic command
Post by: Rayfer on October 05, 2016, 12:27:50 PM
Quote from: RyanE on October 05, 2016, 12:21:05 PM
To me, SC3 is just taking the squares in SC2 and turning them into hexes...finally.

Agreed. Hexes rather than squares (I never could get used to them) is a huge step in the right direction. But will they do anything with the naval component? Will they allow fleets rather than one ship per hex?
Title: Re: Beta testing for strategic command
Post by: Grim.Reaper on October 06, 2016, 05:11:10 AM
I am probably in the minority, but I didn't really enjoy the last versions.  If I rember correctly it also had very long processing turns which I can't stand in any game.
Title: Re: Beta testing for strategic command
Post by: FlickJax on October 06, 2016, 07:07:48 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 06, 2016, 05:11:10 AM
I am probably in the minority, but I didn't really enjoy the last versions.  If I rember correctly it also had very long processing turns which I can't stand in any game.

Me too, I also thought the scale was wrong for my enjoyment. I kept wishing for a bigger map and more units.