...surprised this hasn't been posted here yet.
Quote
Order of Battle fans, we have big news for you. The game previously known as Order of Battle: Pacific is being restructured into Order of Battle: World War II, a bigger project with a wider scope and the goal of featuring multiple fronts of World War II.
Order of Battle: Pacific is going to be split into three different products:
· Order of Battle: World War II, featuring the bootcamp missions and the first mission of each DLC.
· The Order of Battle: U.S. Pacific DLC, featuring the American Pacific campaign.
· The Order of Battle: Rising Sun DLC, featuring the Japanese Pacific campaign.
Now hold on to your seats! Order of Battle WORLD WAR II will be available to everyone for free! It contains the bootcamp scenarios plus the first scenario of every DLC (including future ones), and they are completely free. You will be able to try the game, play several scenarios and decide if you'd like to buy the DLCs.
Important: if you own Order of Battle: Pacific you'll be given free keys for the two DLCs, Rising Sun and U.S. Pacific, plus any other DLC you already own!
That's not all: in order to unlock the fully-featured editor and every single faction in multiplayer only a single DLC purchase is needed!
http://www.matrixgames.com/news/1955/Order.of.Battle.goes.global!
Well, I was still holding on to my seat and that's why I couldn't post it.
Well, I kinda meant I'm surprised no one from Matrixgames/Slitherine had posted yet. The big thing that stood out to me was
"Order of Battle WORLD WAR II will be available to everyone for free! It contains the bootcamp scenarios plus the first scenario of every DLC (including future ones), and they are completely free. You will be able to try the game, play several scenarios and decide if you'd like to buy the DLCs."
This is very similar to the Panther Games/Command Ops pricing model. Just wondering if Matrixgames/Slitherine will be offering up more games under the same model down the road?
Very attractive marketing model that allows one to demo the game. Remember demos? :P
Hoping it becomes unscripted.
Although on the surface the Command Ops seems good, something about it still makes me hesitate....if I want all the content they have in DLC, its like $160+ to purchase them all....I know that I don't have to buy them all, but I typically go all in. Plus, I am waiting to see what really happens when a new major version comes out and how much it will cost to re-purchase all the DLC yet again, which some of it I have already purchased 2-3 times.
However, I do love the demo aspects of it....so I remain conflicted. Its a shame since that likely is the game I should be playing much more than I actually do.
Quite sad they are leaving the Pacific. Even with that Finland DLC. Goes to show not a lot like PTO games.
I was actually planning to purchase Order of Battle: Pacific this weekend...Does this mean I should wait...?? ???
I think they have a good system, but their scenario design needs lots of work. They needed to focus on making each scenario a campaign in itself, but instead they tried to replay individual battles and this resulted in lots of scripting (not to mention it doesn't really fit with the system). I was much more impressed with their generic island invasion tutorial scenario than I was with the campaign scenarios themselves.
Quote from: jomni on June 02, 2016, 05:19:23 PM
Quite sad they are leaving the Pacific. Even with that Finland DLC. Goes to show not a lot like PTO games.
The lack of interest in most things Pacific is sad indeed :-\
Maybe not enough epic tank battles for the great public? I don't know.
Hooray for Winter War DLC though.
Quote from: jomni on June 02, 2016, 05:19:23 PM
Quite sad they are leaving the Pacific. Even with that Finland DLC. Goes to show not a lot like PTO games.
With the initial game and two DLCs -- especially with the Morning Sun (mainland China) DLC -- the OOB series has gone much farther than any PTO game series before it. I have no reason to suppose (just a guess, I have no insider knowledge) that OOB: Pacific has been anything less than a success. It's just that they see Greener Pastures in WWII Europe. That doesn't mean that "not a lot like PTO games". Maybe a lot like PTO games, and have purchased this game, and its DLCs. (I have.) It's just a whole lot more like ETO games. It's all relative.
Anyway, we shouldn't be surprised if the Artistocrats return to the PTO and offer new DEI & Burma DLCs in future. Maybe even an Operation Downfall DLC. We shall see.
There is a thread about Order of Battle: Pacific on the Matrix forums (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4091563) that might be enlightening.
QuoteAnyway, we shouldn't be surprised if the Artistocrats return to the PTO and offer new DEI & Burma DLCs in future. Maybe even an Operation Downfall DLC. We shall see.
A campaign about the British in south-east asia is planned for some time in the future. And possibly a China-centered campaign as well.
Aside from the fact that the European theatre is simple more commercially interesting however, it's also a relief for us to work on something different. It's now about 4 years ago since we started the development of Pacific and I can tell you, working on this on pretty much a daily base, it's a very welcome change to do something (slightly) different with the upcoming European campaigns :)
QuoteI was actually planning to purchase Order of Battle: Pacific this weekend...Does this mean I should wait...??
If you are planning to get both of the main Pacific campaigns anyway, there is no real point in waiting. Once the rebranding from Pacific to WW2 comes up - in form of a downloadable patch - the combined cost of these two campaigns as DLCs will be the same as the Pacific game is now.
So what about the Winter War DLC. Should I wait for it, and for the WWII engine, or how is it panning out?
PS Any word on that boardgame look there was a screenshot out at the Matrix forum a good while ago :)
Quote from: Adherbal on June 04, 2016, 01:52:33 PM
QuoteAnyway, we shouldn't be surprised if the Artistocrats return to the PTO and offer new DEI & Burma DLCs in future. Maybe even an Operation Downfall DLC. We shall see.
A campaign about the British in south-east asia is planned for some time in the future. And possibly a China-centered campaign as well.
Aside from the fact that the European theatre is simple more commercially interesting however, it's also a relief for us to work on something different. It's now about 4 years ago since we started the development of Pacific and I can tell you, working on this on pretty much a daily base, it's a very welcome change to do something (slightly) different with the upcoming European campaigns :)
QuoteI was actually planning to purchase Order of Battle: Pacific this weekend...Does this mean I should wait...??
If you are planning to get both of the main Pacific campaigns anyway, there is no real point in waiting. Once the rebranding from Pacific to WW2 comes up - in form of a downloadable patch - the combined cost of these two campaigns as DLCs will be the same as the Pacific game is now.
Thanks...Ill grab it tonight...
People can say what they want about this game, but I enjoyed the heck out of it! I loved the carrier part of the game. Moving my ships, CAP, launching aircraft and then trying to get my carriers into
range to get my low on fuel planes back aboard :)
Great game IMO.
QuoteSo what about the Winter War DLC. Should I wait for it, and for the WWII engine, or how is it panning out?
It's been slightly delayed, mostly because of the upcoming Steam summer sale, which is a bad time to release a new title.
Winter War will work pretty much exactly like the previous expansions, just that the game is now called OoB - WW2 instead of Pacific.
QuotePS Any word on that boardgame look there was a screenshot out at the Matrix forum a good while ago
Yes this is planned to (finally) come with the patch accompanying the Winter War update. I think we better stick to that promise or we may be lynched :knuppel2:
Quote from: Adherbal on June 05, 2016, 05:09:21 PM
Quote
It's been slightly delayed to July. Mostly because of the Steam summer sale in end june, which is a bad time to release a new title.
Quote
So maybe Tpek was correct in the No Man's Sky thread where he suspected the developers may purposely delay games in order to not compete with summer sales....I guess the logic makes sense
Quote from: Adherbal on June 05, 2016, 05:09:21 PM
QuoteSo what about the Winter War DLC. Should I wait for it, and for the WWII engine, or how is it panning out?
It's been slightly delayed to July. Mostly because of the Steam summer sale in end june, which is a bad time to release a new title.
Winter War will work pretty much exactly like the previous expansions, just that the game is now called OoB - WW2 instead of Pacific.
QuotePS Any word on that boardgame look there was a screenshot out at the Matrix forum a good while ago
Yes this is planned to (finally) come with the Winter War update. I think we better stick to that promise or we may be lynched :knuppel2:
Ohh, I am most definitely buying it then! Thank you! :smitten:
QuoteSo maybe Tpek was correct in the No Man's Sky thread where he suspected the developers may purposely delay games in order to not compete with summer sales....I guess the logic makes sense
It's the same with the Christmas period. Too many competition from the big game publishers a small dev simply can't compete with. A small (budget) game would just get burried and first day(s) sales are always very important for long term success.
Quote from: Adherbal on June 06, 2016, 02:29:47 PM
QuoteSo maybe Tpek was correct in the No Man's Sky thread where he suspected the developers may purposely delay games in order to not compete with summer sales....I guess the logic makes sense
It's the same with the Christmas period. Too many competition from the big game publishers a small dev simply can't compete with. A small (budget) game would just get burried and first day(s) sales are always very important for long term success.
To me, if its a good game, its a good game. The big AAA titles dont appeal to me much anyway.
In regards to OOB: It is a beautiful game, and I'm glad we finally have a game that balances graphics and gameplay - although I didnt enjoy the campaigns. They felt entirely too linear and scripted. Panzer Corps did much better in that aspect.
Just used my Matrixgames anniversary coupon on this. Thanks Matrix!
Freebie version is out.
Quote
You fought on the shores of the Pacific Ocean in Order of Battle: Pacific, but now the war is global!
Order of Battle: World War II, formerly known as Order of Battle: Pacific, is a bigger project with a wider scope and the goal of featuring multiple fronts of World War II, and it is OUT NOW!
It is available to everyone for free: it contains the initial bootcamp missions plus the first scenario of every DLC Campaign, and they are completely free. Players will be able to try the game, play several scenarios and decide if they'd like to get the DLC Campaign.
The original campaigns of Order of Battle: Pacific are now split into two different DLCs:
· The Order of Battle: U.S. Pacific DLC, featuring the American campaign.
· The Order of Battle: Rising Sun DLC, featuring the Japanese campaign.
Important: if you already own Order of Battle: Pacific you will be given these two DLCs, Rising Sun and U.S. Pacific, and retain any other DLC you already own!
Stay tuned for more news in the future: the expansion Winter War is in development, and there are plans for more amazing content...
http://www.matrixgames.com/news/1965/Order.of.Battle:.World.War.II.is.out!
Downloading... Looking forward to those 2D counters at the end of the day, mind! O0
Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on June 08, 2016, 10:40:46 AM
Quote from: Adherbal on June 06, 2016, 02:29:47 PM
QuoteSo maybe Tpek was correct in the No Man's Sky thread where he suspected the developers may purposely delay games in order to not compete with summer sales....I guess the logic makes sense
It's the same with the Christmas period. Too many competition from the big game publishers a small dev simply can't compete with. A small (budget) game would just get burried and first day(s) sales are always very important for long term success.
To me, if its a good game, its a good game. The big AAA titles dont appeal to me much anyway.
In regards to OOB: It is a beautiful game, and I'm glad we finally have a game that balances graphics and gameplay - although I didnt enjoy the campaigns. They felt entirely too linear and scripted. Panzer Corps did much better in that aspect.
What's there to play aside from campaigns?
Nothing, really.
The bootcamp 'campaign' is enjoyable. In my opinion, the maps and objectives are well-designed and challenging, and the player force pool is manageable - unlike the campaign missions.
The game comes with a good mission editor, but the community, aside from Erik, hasn't produced much player-made content. Additionally, there seems to be an in-game free content download interface, but it only has a few downloadable missions. I'm not sure who controls the que, or why Erik's missions aren't all available for download.
This title rather steamed below my radar. It does seem like an animated / modernized version of Panzer General / Corps?
Is Slitherine's PBEM ++ supported?
It seems the game has had a pretty significant amount of DLC added over time. Anyone here played it long enough to make a call on how it plays or wether its good or bad?
Base software is free, and with it you can play the first scenario in each campaign I believe.
I really like it.
Yes, I'd say it's rather reminiscent of Panzer Corps, but it's more modern obviously.
The base game is free, and it's possible to play the first scenario of every campaign they released. So far they mainly focused on the Pacific theater, but recently they released a Winter War campaign and Blitzkrieg, which covers 1939-1941 from the German perspective. I believe that they will now be focused mainly on the European theater, and the devs have already hinted at their intention of releasing a Kriegsmarine campaign.
We've got plenty of coverage over on The Wargamer if you want to know our thoughts on it :)