GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Gusington on June 07, 2016, 08:04:14 AM

Title: Italo-Turkish War 1911
Post by: Gusington on June 07, 2016, 08:04:14 AM
Greetings fellow nerds. I am set to read A Box of Sand in the next few weeks, a history of the war befween Italy and the Ottoman Empire in North Africa. Usually I fall back on Civ V for gaming a conflict like this, but I wanted to reach out and see if there was anything else out there on the PC that you could recommend. Thanks all!
Title: Re: Italo-Turkish War 1911
Post by: Hofstadter on June 07, 2016, 08:10:03 AM
Your best bet would be to find a scenario in the Operation Art Of War 3
Title: Re: Italo-Turkish War 1911
Post by: RyanE on June 07, 2016, 12:08:52 PM
Steam and Iron has 2-3 scenarios on the naval aspect.
Title: Re: Italo-Turkish War 1911
Post by: Gusington on June 07, 2016, 02:57:15 PM
Steam and Iron eh? Wouldn't have thought of that...
Title: Re: Italo-Turkish War 1911
Post by: panzerde on June 07, 2016, 05:08:51 PM
I'll second both of the above. I know there's a Balkan Wars scenario in OOW3. It wouldn't surprise me to find that there's one covering this one, as well.


The SAI scenarios are pretty interesting. Neither combatant is a first rate naval power, so you aren't dealing with ships and crews comparable to the RN or even the US or Japanese.


You could probably build your own in Advanced Tactics Gold too, if no one has done a scenario there, yet.
Title: Re: Italo-Turkish War 1911
Post by: Gusington on June 07, 2016, 06:49:28 PM
Interesting...honestly I didn't know if there was anything available at all, naval themed or otherwise.
Title: Re: Italo-Turkish War 1911
Post by: Boggit on June 07, 2016, 07:46:17 PM
It's all about the Italians nicking Libya, Rhodes and the Dodecanese for their new "Roman Empire". A very one sided war for the Turks, with dubious winnings for the Italians (save for the Greek Islands, which are very nice now, but were a bit basic back then).

Like RyanE mentioned SAI have some scenarios, or you could use the Turkish fleet mod for Rule the Waves and deal with it both strategically and tactically (although in RtW the Turks will be in  far better position than they were historically).
Title: Re: Italo-Turkish War 1911
Post by: Gusington on June 07, 2016, 09:12:10 PM
Thank you Boggit.
Title: Re: Italo-Turkish War 1911
Post by: Boggit on June 11, 2016, 02:48:57 PM
 O0
Title: Re: Italo-Turkish War 1911
Post by: JasonPratt on June 13, 2016, 01:35:43 PM
Gus,

If you're willing to set up for that war waaaay in advance, you could go with either a modified version of the Ageod engine in Pride of Nations, or with a modified version of the Clauswitz engine in Victoria 2.

Battlefront's WW1 game (part of the Supreme Command series? -- I've forgotten the name of the series, sorry), features a lot of interesting side campaigns, and might have one for this war since it predates WW1 slightly in the same region. I know WW1Gold does not. Unsure about the other recent WW1 games including Ageod's To End All Wars.
Title: Re: Italo-Turkish War 1911
Post by: Gusington on June 13, 2016, 05:30:17 PM
Thanks Pratt. I tried Victoria 2 and Pride of Nations years ago and both were way beyond me. I've got that Battlefront game and it has some great side campaigns. I played the Siege of Kut and really enjoyed it. But I don't think I saw any pre WWI Italian campaigns. Thanks for reminding me though I will have to check it out again to confirm.
Title: Re: Italo-Turkish War 1911
Post by: Boggit on June 13, 2016, 05:38:14 PM
Quote from: Gusington on June 13, 2016, 05:30:17 PM
Thanks Pratt. I tried Victoria 2 and Pride of Nations years ago and both were way beyond me. I've got that Battlefront game and it has some great side campaigns. I played the Siege of Kut and really enjoyed it. But I don't think I saw any pre WWI Italian campaigns. Thanks for reminding me though I will have to check it out again to confirm.
I've just loaded it up to see for you, but sadly only the 1912 1st Balkan War.
Title: Re: Italo-Turkish War 1911
Post by: panzerde on June 13, 2016, 05:45:34 PM
Quote from: Boggit on June 13, 2016, 05:38:14 PM
Quote from: Gusington on June 13, 2016, 05:30:17 PM
Thanks Pratt. I tried Victoria 2 and Pride of Nations years ago and both were way beyond me. I've got that Battlefront game and it has some great side campaigns. I played the Siege of Kut and really enjoyed it. But I don't think I saw any pre WWI Italian campaigns. Thanks for reminding me though I will have to check it out again to confirm.
I've just loaded it up to see for you, but sadly only the 1912 1st Balkan War.


Which is admittedly still pretty amazing, given how obscure that conflict is. The Franco-Prussian War scenario is darn good, too.
Title: Re: Italo-Turkish War 1911
Post by: Gusington on June 13, 2016, 05:47:35 PM
Thank you Sir, I kinda knew the answer...it was the first game I thought of. While in there try the Siege of Kut, it's solid.
Title: Re: Italo-Turkish War 1911
Post by: Boggit on June 13, 2016, 05:52:49 PM
Thanks. I will. O0
Title: Re: Italo-Turkish War 1911
Post by: Boggit on June 13, 2016, 06:41:58 PM
I found this, which may be of interest...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHyiXyhL8r4

The narration is done by some form of language program, so is a bit Klingon. Anyway, enjoy.

I also found this - a board game that specifically deals with the Italy-Turkish 1911 war. I don't know what the game plays like, but hopefully one of our chit kickers will know. I hope that helps?

http://www.mcssl.com/store/4e466d3b9268494c82869d4417a53b/great-war-at-sea-/great-war-at-sea-mediterranean-
Title: Re: Italo-Turkish War 1911
Post by: Gusington on June 13, 2016, 09:23:14 PM
^The narration is freaking me the hell out in that YouTube link!
Title: Re: Italo-Turkish War 1911
Post by: Boggit on June 13, 2016, 10:21:39 PM
Quote from: Gusington on June 13, 2016, 09:23:14 PM
^The narration is freaking me the hell out in that YouTube link!
I did warn you... :2funny: