GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Gusington on June 08, 2016, 12:18:07 PM

Title: House of the Dying Sun - Space Combat Sim
Post by: Gusington on June 08, 2016, 12:18:07 PM
In Steam early access but it has been in development for almost five years. Check out the music coupled with the radio effects, etc. Looks (and sounds) great.

Title: Re: House of the Dying Sun - Space Combat Sim
Post by: IronX on June 08, 2016, 12:22:50 PM
Looks like a first-person version of Homeworld and the music reminds me a little of BSG.
Title: Re: House of the Dying Sun - Space Combat Sim
Post by: Gusington on June 08, 2016, 12:26:28 PM
I know!
Title: Re: House of the Dying Sun - Space Combat Sim
Post by: steve58 on June 08, 2016, 12:29:11 PM
Looks nice, but joystick support seems to be lacking...and I ain't got no gamepad.  :-\

Well seems that some joysticks work, but some users are having issues.
Title: Re: House of the Dying Sun - Space Combat Sim
Post by: Jarhead0331 on June 08, 2016, 01:16:09 PM
I have it. It has joystick support, but not the greatest. It's actually meant to be played with mouse and keyboard and this combination surprisingly works well.
Title: Re: House of the Dying Sun - Space Combat Sim
Post by: Steelgrave on June 08, 2016, 01:33:16 PM
"Hunt the traitor Lords and bring ruin to their people"....

Hell, I like seeing that in any genre! Looks great!  O0
Title: Re: House of the Dying Sun - Space Combat Sim
Post by: Gusington on June 08, 2016, 01:36:53 PM
JH have you invested much time in it yet? Does it feel like a combat flight sim version of Homeworld?
Title: Re: House of the Dying Sun - Space Combat Sim
Post by: Hofstadter on June 08, 2016, 07:27:41 PM
Apparently this game is super shallow, once youve done the first mission youve done them all.

CAP2 and its crap.....HotDS and its short GIVE ME SOMETHING DECENT
Title: Re: House of the Dying Sun - Space Combat Sim
Post by: joram on June 08, 2016, 09:26:48 PM
I was reading (on RPS I think) there are only 14 missions and you are meant to play them multiple times on increasing difficulties which unlocks stuff.  Not sure what the 'stuff' is but doesn't sound especially deep since the missions are scripted. 
Title: Re: House of the Dying Sun - Space Combat Sim
Post by: sandman2575 on June 09, 2016, 12:56:46 PM
This looks pretty rad, and who can argue with the price.

Anyone know if it supports TrackIR?
Title: Re: House of the Dying Sun - Space Combat Sim
Post by: mirth on June 09, 2016, 01:13:36 PM
Quote from: joram on June 08, 2016, 09:26:48 PM
...since the missions are scripted. 

A dagger to Gus' heart.
Title: Re: House of the Dying Sun - Space Combat Sim
Post by: Jarhead0331 on June 09, 2016, 01:13:40 PM
Quote from: sandman2575 on June 09, 2016, 12:56:46 PM
This looks pretty rad, and who can argue with the price.

Anyone know if it supports TrackIR?

Yes. It supports TrackIR.

The space combat is good. The reason people are so pissed is that for a long time it was marketed as having an open world. At some point, the developer nixed that and went with 14 linear missions instead. I'm assuming he ran into difficulty creating an open-ended, dynamic universe.

What is there is good. I disagree with Hofstadter that "once you've done the first mission youve done them all". The missions definitely have variety, and they have significant variety on each of the difficult ratings, as well. That being said, yes, the missions are undeniably linear and scripted so longevity and replayability is limited.
Title: Re: House of the Dying Sun - Space Combat Sim
Post by: Gusington on June 09, 2016, 04:52:42 PM
Scripted missions do kill me.

However some games that have scripted missions in a space combat sim genre I have enjoyed, like Colony Wars. I saw some comparisons to that series.

Not sure if you ever played any of the Colony Wars series, JH.
Title: Re: House of the Dying Sun - Space Combat Sim
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on June 09, 2016, 06:12:21 PM
Title: Re: House of the Dying Sun - Space Combat Sim
Post by: sandman2575 on June 10, 2016, 02:54:59 PM
Whenever I read something about this game, I get That Song stuck in my head for an hour...
Title: Re: House of the Dying Sun - Space Combat Sim
Post by: spelk on June 10, 2016, 03:00:13 PM
Quote from: Hofstadter on June 08, 2016, 07:27:41 PM
Apparently this game is super shallow, once youve done the first mission youve done them all.

CAP2 and its crap.....HotDS and its short GIVE ME SOMETHING DECENT

Hof, have you tried Evochron Legacy?

http://www.starwraith.com/evochronlegacy/index.htm
Title: Re: House of the Dying Sun - Space Combat Sim
Post by: Staggerwing on June 10, 2016, 07:06:18 PM
Quote from: sandman2575 on June 10, 2016, 02:54:59 PM
Whenever I read something about this game, I get That Song stuck in my head for an hour...

You aint the only one.