GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: 21sec on June 16, 2016, 03:38:52 PM

Title: Axis Football 16
Post by: 21sec on June 16, 2016, 03:38:52 PM
I have been fortunate enough to get access to Axis Games "Axis Football 16", and wanted to share some screenshots. Danny has been hard at work since AF 15, improving the modding options, expanding the playbooka, adding 10 and 15 minute quarter lengths, adjustable camera angles, and much more. Anyone interested in a football game on the PC that allows you to create and mod all aspects of a team and its stadium, AF 16 is the best option we've had in nearly a decade!

In the attached screenshots I created the University of Alabama and Notre Dame. You can see the custom logos, helmet logos, uniforms, and the fields for both schools. This is easy to do with Gimp or any other decent editor. In addition I changed the names of the players on each team to match the projected depth chart for the upcoming season, and I am also currently tweaking the players' ratings.
Title: Re: Axis Football 16
Post by: bbmike on June 16, 2016, 04:10:39 PM
That does look nice. Could this be the graphical football game I've been waiting for?
Title: Re: Axis Football 16
Post by: WYBaugh on June 16, 2016, 04:19:06 PM
Graphics would be improved 100% if you removed Alabama.   ;D
Title: Re: Axis Football 16
Post by: Grim.Reaper on June 16, 2016, 06:53:55 PM
Hard to get excited about this one.....graphics are one thing, but it needs to play like real football.  I don't recall all the missing elements from the last version, but until all the core features/rules of American Football are included (maybe this one has it all) and good stat package included (along with realistic stats), not sure if I will buy it again......hope to be proven wrong.
Title: Re: Axis Football 16
Post by: MetalDog on June 16, 2016, 07:57:22 PM
Quote from: WYBaugh on June 16, 2016, 04:19:06 PM
Graphics would be improved 100% if you removed Alabama.   ;D

That must make you an Auburn fan.  Tell me again how you like four National Championships in seven years?  Or maybe you are a Golden Domer.  In which case, has the police report come back on the elephant that STOMPED your a$$ a couple years ago in the title game?  ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Title: Re: Axis Football 16
Post by: Con on June 16, 2016, 09:28:53 PM
Was I the only one clicking on this in morbid fascination looking for an Italian versus German or Japan versus Hungary football game? :)

Just think how offensive the football logos could be

Con
Title: Re: Axis Football 16
Post by: 21sec on June 16, 2016, 10:14:57 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on June 16, 2016, 06:53:55 PM
Hard to get excited about this one.....graphics are one thing, but it needs to play like real football.  I don't recall all the missing elements from the last version, but until all the core features/rules of American Football are included (maybe this one has it all) and good stat package included (along with realistic stats), not sure if I will buy it again......hope to be proven wrong.

There are improvements in the on the field play. For starters the ability to select 10 or 15 minute quarters is a needed addition. I would like to see some of the run plays reworked, mainly the plays where anno lineman is pulling. In all instances, those plays see the pulling lineman coming from the frontside of the play, which can be problematic. The custom hot routes is a really nice feature which allows a user to essentially create a 6 route route tree. I've been able to hot route existing plays, taking advantage certain existing routes to essentially run a common pass concept such as smash or levels.

I'll post some gameplay videos when I get back from vacation.

I'm happy to see the progress being made from last year. Hopefully enough people will be pleased with the progress and the game will be worth their time to continue to develop and improve.
Title: Re: Axis Football 16
Post by: reapagan on June 16, 2016, 10:39:47 PM
I'm doing the beta on this too. I look at this more from the coaching/franchise aspect as my mania for FPS football pro series knows no limit and I have to say that the play execution is much improved over the 2015 version. As a competitor for Madden graphics wise there is no comparison but the actual player control is also much improved over the previous version.
My first impressions are limited by the limited scope of the beta but overall a most favorable impression. Playcalling is straight forward with formation, run, and pass selections as well as special teams. Play resolution animations are smooth and look good but could be and I'm sure will be improved. I'm looking forward to seeing all the rest of the parts of this come together as the potential is certainly there for this to be special.
Title: Re: Axis Football 16
Post by: Nefaro on June 16, 2016, 10:44:08 PM
So.. does this have full GM "career" style play?  I don't recall where it was on that.
Title: Re: Axis Football 16
Post by: 21sec on June 17, 2016, 07:50:13 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on June 16, 2016, 10:44:08 PM
So.. does this have full GM "career" style play?  I don't recall where it was on that.

This was what Danny posted to the FB page a few weeks ago:
Franchise mode is the last feature we need to implement before release. Right now, it looks like we will initially offer a multi season franchise mode but there won't be a lot of team management at release. We will update the game after release to expand franchise mode.

This also is something to look forward some day in the future:
We will be adding college teams to Axis Football in the future with interaction between their rosters and the pro teams when it comes to setting up franchise mode.
Title: Re: Axis Football 16
Post by: WYBaugh on June 17, 2016, 09:29:45 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on June 16, 2016, 07:57:22 PM
Quote from: WYBaugh on June 16, 2016, 04:19:06 PM
Graphics would be improved 100% if you removed Alabama.   ;D

That must make you an Auburn fan.  Tell me again how you like four National Championships in seven years?  Or maybe you are a Golden Domer.  In which case, has the police report come back on the elephant that STOMPED your a$$ a couple years ago in the title game?  ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Florida grad so you have recent smack talk to throw out :)
Title: Re: Axis Football 16
Post by: bobarossa on June 17, 2016, 12:15:46 PM
Quote from: Con on June 16, 2016, 09:28:53 PM
Was I the only one clicking on this in morbid fascination looking for an Italian versus German or Japan versus Hungary football game? :)

Just think how offensive the football logos could be

Con
Nope, I keep picturing Swastika's on the side of helmets.  Blitzkrieg left and Blitzkrieg right plays;  Dive! Dive!
Title: Re: Axis Football 16
Post by: Grim.Reaper on June 18, 2016, 09:12:46 AM
Quote from: 21sec on June 16, 2016, 10:14:57 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on June 16, 2016, 06:53:55 PM
Hard to get excited about this one.....graphics are one thing, but it needs to play like real football.  I don't recall all the missing elements from the last version, but until all the core features/rules of American Football are included (maybe this one has it all) and good stat package included (along with realistic stats), not sure if I will buy it again......hope to be proven wrong.

There are improvements in the on the field play. For starters the ability to select 10 or 15 minute quarters is a needed addition. I would like to see some of the run plays reworked, mainly the plays where anno lineman is pulling. In all instances, those plays see the pulling lineman coming from the frontside of the play, which can be problematic. The custom hot routes is a really nice feature which allows a user to essentially create a 6 route route tree. I've been able to hot route existing plays, taking advantage certain existing routes to essentially run a common pass concept such as smash or levels.

I'll post some gameplay videos when I get back from vacation.

I'm happy to see the progress being made from last year. Hopefully enough people will be pleased with the progress and the game will be worth their time to continue to develop and improve.

Appreciate the additional information....unfortunately, just not sure if this can ever turn into the game we are all hoping to get.....not because the developer isn't trying, its just hard where big companies can't do it, so even harder for one-man shops.  I hope it does turn out great, but last year's version seemed miles away......looks like release date is around July 15th, so I guess we will find out soon enough.
Title: Re: Axis Football 16
Post by: vyshka on June 18, 2016, 03:02:56 PM
I wish the folks that were behind the Front Page Sports Football series would put together a kickstarter for a reboot of that game.
Title: Re: Axis Football 16
Post by: Father Ted on June 20, 2016, 04:23:18 PM
Quote from: Con on June 16, 2016, 09:28:53 PM
Was I the only one clicking on this in morbid fascination looking for an Italian versus German or Japan versus Hungary football game? :)


Con

Not much of a game, that one:  as we all know Germany always win on penalties
Title: Re: Axis Football 16
Post by: Capn Darwin on June 20, 2016, 05:24:58 PM
Oh hell yea. Front Page Sports Football 96 is still the hands down best football simulation game of all time. It had everything and did it right. I miss playing that game.  :'(
Title: Re: Axis Football 16
Post by: Grim.Reaper on June 20, 2016, 06:31:01 PM
Quote from: Capn Darwin on June 20, 2016, 05:24:58 PM
Oh hell yea. Front Page Sports Football 96 is still the hands down best football simulation game of all time. It had everything and did it right. I miss playing that game.  :'(

It was certainly at the top of the list...but also enjoyed NFL Pro League Football and XOR football....but FP likely will remain the king....still playable if you can grab a copy.
Title: Re: Axis Football 16
Post by: Nefaro on June 20, 2016, 07:32:25 PM
Quote from: Capn Darwin on June 20, 2016, 05:24:58 PM
Oh hell yea. Front Page Sports Football 96 is still the hands down best football simulation game of all time. It had everything and did it right. I miss playing that game.  :'(


I picked up a FPS Pro Football '98 disk a couple years ago.  Had to find an unpacked version of the patch for it, on the 'net, but eventually did so. 

Plays okay, but eventually crashes on me.  Usually in a team management screen.   :-\


Hoping Axis Football will get to the career/franchise point I've been looking for, at some point.  The very few of the others, done in recent years, seem to be on the way to a complete package but the developer(s) never quite push them through the finish line and take lengthy breaks from developing them.
Title: Re: Axis Football 16
Post by: 21sec on July 16, 2016, 06:37:16 PM
Still playing around with the beta when time allows. Here's a short clip featuring the Franchise Mode menu screens.

Title: Re: Axis Football 16
Post by: Grim.Reaper on July 30, 2016, 08:31:36 AM
Looks like released for $20...not going to fall for it this time until I see plenty of reviews and feedback suggesting it really has advanced a great deal:)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/501190/
Title: Re: Axis Football 16
Post by: bbmike on July 30, 2016, 08:37:16 AM
^ What he said.
Title: Re: Axis Football 16
Post by: Grim.Reaper on July 30, 2016, 09:02:11 AM
After reading a couple of reviews....not something I will be investing....doesn't seem to even have penalties, substitutions, and franchise mode seems fairly shallow....I applaud the developer for sticking with it and maybe after a few more iterations it might get there, but just not my style yet.
Title: Re: Axis Football 16
Post by: Steelgrave on July 30, 2016, 11:25:25 AM
Frankly, after buying Axis Football 15 and being very disappointed, I'm not seeing enough here to justify putting any more cash into the game. While I've come to expect a franchise with a solid track record, such as OOTP, release a new (paid) version every year or so, I'm feeling a bit of "fool me once, shame on you" with Axis 16. I have purchased lots of alpha games to help fund promising projects with the hope of an eventual payoff in gaming fun, but the things I'm seeing in AF16 are what AF15 should have been. I'll save my money rather than buy Axis Football 16 only to see 17 roll around next year with promised improvements.
Title: Re: Axis Football 16
Post by: reapagan on July 31, 2016, 12:45:45 PM
Good point, but this is a one guy operation and he kind of needs the sales to flesh out a game that believe me does have a lot of potential. I have been looking at the beta and if he has the time and resources to do it right it may rival the mighty king of football sims FPS, and I don't say that lightly.
Title: Re: Axis Football 16
Post by: Grim.Reaper on July 31, 2016, 01:35:51 PM
Although it's great to see someone try a football game, just doesn't have the necessary fundamentals for me to invest in again.  Usually pretty tough for a one man show to really pull something like this off and I have serious doubts it will ever reach fps level.
Title: Re: Axis Football 16
Post by: Rayfer on July 31, 2016, 03:40:54 PM
Quote from: Con on June 16, 2016, 09:28:53 PM
Was I the only one clicking on this in morbid fascination looking for an Italian versus German or Japan versus Hungary football game? :)

Just think how offensive the football logos could be

Con

But seriously...why "Axis" football. Is there a meaning to the word I'm not getting?
Title: Re: Axis Football 16
Post by: Steelgrave on July 31, 2016, 05:19:45 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 31, 2016, 01:35:51 PM
Although it's great to see someone try a football game, just doesn't have the necessary fundamentals for me to invest in again.  Usually pretty tough for a one man show to really pull something like this off and I have serious doubts it will ever reach fps level.

Had the developer spent the time to make AF15, the game we've already bought and paid for, what it should have been instead of saying "good enough" before putting time and resources into 16 and asking us to purchase a new game, I would be more positive here. I would even be open to purchasing AF16 if there was a sizable discount given for having previously bought 15. Call it an upgrade to those who have indeed supported his efforts. But to ask me to purchase a newer, "fleshed out" version when my recent purchase wasn't so hot because he needs more funds to continue development? That's kickstarter territory there.  After all, how can we (as consumers) expect 16 to be worth our cash, or will 17 or 18 be the product we're hoping for? Frankly, there is so little game to 15 I should have returned it.

And I've thought "Axis Football" was an odd choice for a name as well. It would be interesting to know what was behind the name.
Title: Re: Axis Football 16
Post by: Grim.Reaper on July 31, 2016, 05:33:37 PM
I believe the name of his company is axis games, so thinking game took the name from there...
Title: Re: Axis Football 16
Post by: Steelgrave on July 31, 2016, 05:37:38 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 31, 2016, 05:33:37 PM
I believe the name of his company is axis games, so thinking game took the name from there...

Makes sense.