GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: undercovergeek on July 15, 2016, 04:49:36 AM

Title: The sound of FRIDAY
Post by: undercovergeek on July 15, 2016, 04:49:36 AM


I have time to tackle the PC and its problems this weekend - if so, there will be CK2 Asturias and possibly some Stellaris but it all depends on the PC

Have a great weekend everyone
Title: Re: The sound of FRIDAY
Post by: jamus34 on July 15, 2016, 05:20:20 AM
Dammit UCG, I was planning on posting that one up some time. Awesome song, awesome cover.

Not much as I'm away most of this weekend, contributing my Italy HoI4 conquest, maybe some Gnomoria and Heroes of the Storm.
Title: Re: The sound of FRIDAY
Post by: Dammit Carl! on July 15, 2016, 05:40:32 AM
If I actually get to play anything, ARMA is going to be the game.

Mrs. is talking yard sale on Saturday and God knows what else on Sunday and today is the boy's birthday, so three days of activity inbound!
Title: Re: The sound of FRIDAY
Post by: MetalDog on July 15, 2016, 05:43:03 AM
Alright!  All caps on FRIDAY!  Get some OOMPH going into the weekend!  And boy do I need it!!  It's been a long, hot, week at work and I need some relaxation time more than I have in a long time.  I am hoping most of the game time will be spent with the (future) Mrs. playing games.  If not, it will be many frustrating hours at the computer, probably playing Civ IV or maybe some HoI 2 as Italy.
Title: Re: The sound of FRIDAY
Post by: undercovergeek on July 15, 2016, 05:50:04 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on July 15, 2016, 05:43:03 AM
Alright!  All caps on FRIDAY!  Get some OOMPH going into the weekend! 

im a serial rule follwer - maybe they should be stickied somewhere!
Title: Re: The sound of FRIDAY
Post by: MengJiao on July 15, 2016, 06:42:28 AM
Quote from: Dammit Carl! on July 15, 2016, 05:40:32 AM
If I actually get to play anything, ARMA is going to be the game.


  I have to go "on site" into the tropical depths of South Carolina to do some primitive number crunching and work on validating carbon sequestration predictions behind some business models for reforesting the tropics.  Since the themes of the expedition are "primitive" and "tropical", I have resurrected an old machine to install in the rather large apartment down there.  So this weekend I will be:
0) hoping the Air conditioning holds up
1) Finding "technology blvd circle number 19" ( "site" of the primitive number crunching -- nothing to do with carbon sequestration)
2) Getting the primitive machine to work (it has some old games on it -- for example CMFI and Il-2)
3) laying out some board games (they can each have their own room in the manapartment -- I'll start small with Hoplite and Bloody April, I think)
4) being happy that I'll only be in the tropics during the work week; most weekends I'll be back up in the mountains in the manloft.
Title: Re: The sound of FRIDAY
Post by: Dammit Carl! on July 15, 2016, 06:58:41 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on July 15, 2016, 06:42:28 AM
South Carolina job stuff

If I may ask, where to?  And when you say mountains, you talking the Greenville area or WNC?  I'm in Asheville myself.
Title: Re: The sound of FRIDAY
Post by: Barthheart on July 15, 2016, 07:16:32 AM
Well car and engine are finally finished and all put back together and it runs fantastic. Glad I took the chance and did it myself. Very rewarding.  O0

Need to work on some VASSAL stuff.

And maybe some Stellaris.

Also yard work, new kitchen faucet to install, some paint restoration work on my wife's car, and various other Honey Doo list jobs.


Title: Re: The sound of FRIDAY
Post by: Rayfer on July 15, 2016, 07:55:48 AM
UCG....never heard that version before, excellent song choice, loved it...!!  For the weekend....more ACW2, HoI4 and Divinity Original Sin: EE
Title: Re: The sound of FRIDAY
Post by: jamus34 on July 15, 2016, 08:36:17 AM
Quote from: Dammit Carl! on July 15, 2016, 06:58:41 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on July 15, 2016, 06:42:28 AM
South Carolina job stuff

If I may ask, where to?  And when you say mountains, you talking the Greenville area or WNC?  I'm in Asheville myself.

DC I'll be driving through that area in Nov to visit my folks... Great country out there, love that area
Title: Re: The sound of FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on July 15, 2016, 08:53:50 AM
I've got guard and traffic duty and drill so there will be no relaxing until Saturday evening. Wife is away until then as well so if there is anything left of me come Sunday morning and I don't lose my mind from watching the news...I will continue my Attila TW campaign as Aksum.
Title: Re: The sound of FRIDAY
Post by: bbmike on July 15, 2016, 10:21:35 AM
Not much time this weekend but if I get the chance I will play RimWorld (it unlocks on Steam in one more hour!). Also some more Sorcerer King and a bit more Pride of Nations.
Title: Re: The sound of FRIDAY
Post by: Dammit Carl! on July 15, 2016, 10:22:23 AM
Quote from: jamus34 on July 15, 2016, 08:36:17 AM
DC I'll be driving through that area in Nov to visit my folks... Great country out there, love that area

I'm partial to the place myself too. :)  Its where all my stuff is.

Give yourself some time to hit the breweries in the area; the Sierra Nevada one in Mills River has a slew of tour packages available (eyeing the "IPA," specific one myself) and the New Belgium brewery right by the French Broad is up and running now.  And we're not even talking smaller scale beer makers yet!
Title: Re: The sound of FRIDAY
Post by: jamus34 on July 15, 2016, 10:33:31 AM
Quote from: Dammit Carl! on July 15, 2016, 10:22:23 AM
Quote from: jamus34 on July 15, 2016, 08:36:17 AM
DC I'll be driving through that area in Nov to visit my folks... Great country out there, love that area

I'm partial to the place myself too. :)  Its where all my stuff is.

Give yourself some time to hit the breweries in the area; the Sierra Nevada one in Mills River has a slew of tour packages available (eyeing the "IPA," specific one myself) and the New Belgium brewery right by the French Broad is up and running now.  And we're not even talking smaller scale beer makers yet!

Yeah I might need to make a stop. If you can believe it my folks have lived down there (Waynesville) for 7 years and I have yet to see Asheville proper yet. Typical too busy visiting or out doors to do city sightseeing stuff.

I want to hike looking glass trail again, awesome trail
Title: Re: The sound of FRIDAY
Post by: Dammit Carl! on July 15, 2016, 11:03:33 AM
Biltmore house is a typical "must see," and if you are here in late November, you might get to see it decked out in Christmas finery.  Or, if you got young'uns (under 10ish or so), you could maybe luck out and do a night with the Polar Express train ride out of Bryson City.

Biggest bit of rock climbing I ever did was on Looking Glass rock - tremendous view.  Plenty of good stuff to the west of Waynesville in the Smokey Mtns. Nat'l Park too, but you probably know that.
Title: Re: The sound of FRIDAY
Post by: Sir Slash on July 15, 2016, 11:11:48 AM
Well Gus, if you get stuck with that Attila campaign--- Aksum-body for help. That's what we're here for. ACW 2 For me if I can get the time in. Got grandkids coming over and it's hard to concentrate on blockading Charleston when I'm trying to blockade them from the kitchen.
Title: Re: The sound of FRIDAY
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on July 15, 2016, 11:20:42 AM
Working night shifts.  Trying to decide if I want to take a new position with the company which will see me parked in front of a bunch of monitors for 12 hours at a time (but at least I won't have to do confined space rescue any more).

Title: Re: The sound of FRIDAY
Post by: Fetrik on July 15, 2016, 11:29:32 AM
Maybe some more  TW warhammer. Working on ending a vampire campaign long goal.
BBQ tomorrow and hangover on sunday. :D 
Title: Re: The sound of FRIDAY
Post by: JasonPratt on July 15, 2016, 03:00:12 PM
Seems likely but not certain I'll be doing some Fortresscraft: Evolved multiplayer starting this afternoon. Depending on various factors. (Like the mp even working at all.)

Also likely, continuing my Ghostbusters: the Game campaign (aka the unofficially official Ghostbusters 3 virtual reality movie starring and written by pretty much all the original cast).

Heck, I might even restart the campaign (since I recall practically nothing of how to play it), just to create an AAR for it. You want a real Ghostbusters sequel!? ...well, actually, someone on Youtube has probably cobbled a movie together from it already, but anyway.
Title: Re: The sound of FRIDAY
Post by: Kushan on July 16, 2016, 08:08:57 AM
Spent last night trying to work on my new CMANO scenario but kept getting distracted by the Turkish coupe blowing up my Twitter feed.

Drivibg down to see the Spruce Goose in Oregon today, gaming time will depend on what time we get back this afternoon.

Streaming tomorrow, debating between CMANO and KSP. Rest of the day will be a mix of CMANO scenario work and my own to do list around the house. May try and sneak in some Elite or rule reading for Falling Sky as well.
Title: Re: The sound of FRIDAY
Post by: Anguille on July 16, 2016, 03:13:59 PM
Trying to finish the 2d campaign of Grand Ages: Rome - Reign of Augustus.....also some Imperium Civitas, Imperium Romanum and Master of Orion....
Title: Re: The sound of FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on July 16, 2016, 03:51:47 PM
Well here I am at Casa de Gus all ready to relax when The Wife delivers the news...one of the a/c units is in the blink again 😡

And of course it's the one that cools my computer room

😡😡
Title: Re: The sound of FRIDAY
Post by: Nefaro on July 16, 2016, 03:56:59 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on July 15, 2016, 11:11:48 AM
Well Gus, if you get stuck with that Attila campaign--- Aksum-body for help. That's what we're here for.

It seems Sir Slash carried out a drive-by slashing. 


Title: Re: The sound of FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on July 16, 2016, 04:10:18 PM
But can he repair an a/c unit?
Title: Re: The sound of FRIDAY
Post by: Nefaro on July 16, 2016, 04:27:28 PM
Quote from: Gusington on July 16, 2016, 04:10:18 PM
But can he repair an a/c unit?

You should a/csum.
Title: Re: The sound of FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on July 16, 2016, 04:33:46 PM
Ugh
Title: Re: The sound of FRIDAY
Post by: Sir Slash on July 16, 2016, 10:02:57 PM
Just do what we do here in Fla. Take a shower, don't dry-off, sit in front of the computer naked and turn the ceiling fan on HIGH. You'll be cool in no time. Or you could try the 'Pack-Ice-in-the-Warmer-Places' strategy-- not recommended. Or play a game with a cold theme, like Icewind Dale. And pretend. Or just call the AC guy and tell him you got beer & burgers going bad for lack of AC and he'll be there in a flash. When he finds-out you're lying, let your wife talk to him. AC Repairmen cannot say 'No' to a sad, female face. It's a fact. Just Aksum if you don't believe me.
Title: Re: The sound of FRIDAY
Post by: Nefaro on July 16, 2016, 10:12:39 PM
Quote from: Gusington on July 16, 2016, 04:33:46 PM
Ugh


Performed my own Slashing!  yeahhhh!   
Title: Re: The sound of FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on July 17, 2016, 10:38:21 AM
The Wife is adamant not to pay an exorbitant weekend rate for the repair guy. We wait until tomorrow. 90 degrees today. 95 tomorrow. Wife says that she heard it rattle before it stopped cooling the air and the unit was 12 years old so I think it's dead.
Title: Re: The sound of FRIDAY
Post by: Sir Slash on July 17, 2016, 02:33:25 PM
Could be something stuck in the fan or unit. We had a Garter Snake do that once. Fingers crossed for you man.
Title: Re: The sound of FRIDAY
Post by: Staggerwing on July 17, 2016, 03:11:31 PM
Quote from: Gusington on July 17, 2016, 10:38:21 AM
The Wife is adamant not to pay an exorbitant weekend rate for the repair guy. We wait until tomorrow. 90 degrees today. 95 tomorrow. Wife says that she heard it rattle before it stopped cooling the air and the unit was 12 years old so I think it's dead.

Is this a wall or window unit, or Central Air? In either case there are some good on-line troubleshooting guides.

Central:
http://www.familyhandyman.com/heating-cooling/air-conditioner-repair/diy-air-conditioner-repair/view-all
http://www.app.com/story/sponsor-story/ajperri/2015/06/24/sponsor-fix-common-air-conditioner-problems/29221445/  (Check the part about cleaning the condenser if your unit runs but doesn't cool)

Window unit:
http://www.hometips.com/repair-fix/window-air-conditioner-not-cold.html

There's a butt-load more out there.
Title: Re: The sound of FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on July 17, 2016, 03:53:07 PM
^Thanks Wing! It's a central a/c unit. It's 12 years old, two years past it's warranty expiration  :buck2: It's a Goodman, a company I have learned gets poor ratings from Consumer Reports but for some reason HVAC guys around here like using them...maybe I just answered my own question.
Title: Re: The sound of FRIDAY
Post by: Barthheart on July 17, 2016, 04:33:42 PM
If the fan in the outdoor unit does not turn then the motor is probably shot and you'll need to get a new unit as the price difference compared to replacements is not that great.
If the fan is spinning but you're not getting any cooling then it's either the compressor is shot or you're low on refrigerant. Again if the compressor is dead then you'll be getting a whole new unt. If it's just a low charge then it's pretty easy and chap fix.

Some self diagnostics like Stagger pointed out could save you repair visit for nothing charges if you just need a new unit.

Becareful though if you're not a last a little bit handy. There's some high violate in there and the spinning fan will take a finger with it if it comes on at the wrong time.
Title: Re: The sound of FRIDAY
Post by: Nefaro on July 17, 2016, 05:48:55 PM
Quote from: Gusington on July 17, 2016, 03:53:07 PM
^Thanks Wing! It's a central a/c unit. It's 12 years old, two years past it's warranty expiration  :buck2: It's a Goodman, a company I have learned gets poor ratings from Consumer Reports but for some reason HVAC guys around here like using them...maybe I just answered my own question.

Had to spend thousands on new central a/c last year, after the 15 year old unit finally gave out. 

That was painful.  Fortunately got pretty high discount, due to knowing people, but it was still pretty painful.  I don't envy you.
Title: Re: The sound of FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on July 17, 2016, 07:28:00 PM
Sitting in my study now. We are about 3/4 mile from the Hudson so there is a bit of a breeze. The temp in here is about 82. Need me some gaming time though so I'll just disrobe and sit in some ice water while I do it. Kickin' it old school.
Title: Re: The sound of FRIDAY
Post by: bbmike on July 17, 2016, 07:33:02 PM
I would have already caved an bought a cheap window unit.
Title: Re: The sound of FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on July 17, 2016, 08:58:31 PM
NEVER
Title: Re: The sound of FRIDAY
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on July 17, 2016, 10:38:41 PM
You could white trash it up.




Title: Re: The sound of FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on July 18, 2016, 07:26:52 AM
Heh 'swamp cooler'. Well my unofficial diagnosis is that it is the compressor because coolant was already added to this unit about 3 weeks ago. Unless there is some kind of coolant leak.
Title: Re: The sound of FRIDAY
Post by: Sir Slash on July 18, 2016, 10:04:35 AM
95 In N.Y. Gus? Damn, that's what it is here in Fla. Are you SURE you're in the right place? How much did you have to drink this weekend? And what was it? AC's always seem to go out when you need them most--- usually because that's when we're using them the most.  ;D Still it's a pain in the butt to deal with. I try to tell my wife to let ours have some down-time to rest a little in summer time but she keeps in cranked-up high. Kind of like a wind tunnel in my house sometimes.
Title: Re: The sound of FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on July 18, 2016, 03:04:23 PM
It's been a very hot summer. Mid to high 90s this weekend too - hopefully the problem will be solved by then.
Title: Re: The sound of FRIDAY
Post by: MengJiao on July 23, 2016, 12:55:45 PM
Quote from: Dammit Carl! on July 15, 2016, 06:58:41 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on July 15, 2016, 06:42:28 AM
South Carolina job stuff

If I may ask, where to?  And when you say mountains, you talking the Greenville area or WNC?  I'm in Asheville myself.

I'm going to Columbia to work.  My place in the mountains is NE of Asheville -- it's in Bakersville (the county seat of Mitchel county).
Title: Re: The sound of FRIDAY
Post by: Barthheart on July 23, 2016, 01:46:43 PM
Quote from: Gusington on July 18, 2016, 03:04:23 PM
It's been a very hot summer. Mid to high 90s this weekend too - hopefully the problem will be solved by then.

Git yer new A/C fixed yet Gus? What was the problem?
Title: Re: The sound of FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on July 23, 2016, 07:46:20 PM
Compressor seems to be fine and no evidence of a leak and it's working ok today...But I still think it's on its way out. It was 100 degrees today too. On top of that my allergies popped up and I got some sunburn...other things to think about besides the a/c dying :/

Ah summer...
Title: Re: The sound of FRIDAY
Post by: Boggit on July 24, 2016, 07:31:52 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on July 18, 2016, 10:04:35 AM
95 In N.Y. Gus? Damn, that's what it is here in Fla. Are you SURE you're in the right place? How much did you have to drink this weekend? And what was it? AC's always seem to go out when you need them most--- usually because that's when we're using them the most.  ;D Still it's a pain in the butt to deal with. I try to tell my wife to let ours have some down-time to rest a little in summer time but she keeps in cranked-up high. Kind of like a wind tunnel in my house sometimes.
Surely iced Mint Juleps on the verandah is the way to go?  :coolsmiley:
Title: Re: The sound of FRIDAY
Post by: MetalDog on July 24, 2016, 08:19:15 PM
We may all be Yanks to you, but, Gus isn't far enough South to be drinking mint juleps.
Title: Re: The sound of FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on July 24, 2016, 08:30:00 PM
Damned right.
Title: Re: The sound of FRIDAY
Post by: Sir Slash on July 24, 2016, 10:47:49 PM
Manhattans'? Long Island Iced Tea? How about a nice Hawaiian Punch? A Sloe Screw is good too. I like a nice Bourbon and 7-Up while floating around the pool catching bugs to feed to the lizards that hang-out there.  8)
Title: Re: The sound of FRIDAY
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on July 24, 2016, 11:00:34 PM
Not sure which of these guys is Gus, but it's gotta be one of them.

http://www.b99.tv/video/dog-gone-south/ (http://www.b99.tv/video/dog-gone-south/)