GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Flywheel on July 21, 2016, 07:19:34 PM

Title: Comparison please?
Post by: Flywheel on July 21, 2016, 07:19:34 PM
The last small squad game I played was Close Combat 3: The Russian Front, a superb game that I wish would be updated for Windows 10. Anyway, I have been going through reviews and YouTube videos for John Tillers Campaign series and Tigers on the Hunt. Both games seem similar, but Campaign series is older. That to oneside, both seem to have fairly comparable reviews.
So I was just wondering from those of you who might have played both, which would you say is the better game. Tigers is £40 compared to Campaigns £25.
Any thoughts on this would be so welcome :)
Title: Re: Comparison please?
Post by: Barthheart on July 21, 2016, 07:36:08 PM
First off they are slightly different scales of combat.
JTCS is platoon scale and is more like a minis game converted to PC.
Tigers on the Hunt is squad level combat and is very much like ASL converted to PC.

I've played a lot of JTCS and think it's a great game. Lots and lots and lots of scenarios to play.

I've not played Tigers but it seems to be well received and has a ton of user made content for it already.

So I guess it would really depend on what scale you're looking for and what style of play.
Title: Re: Comparison please?
Post by: Warhorse on July 21, 2016, 08:15:24 PM
I have both, I've been playing Campaign Series since East Front first came out, and I started modding the Series a few years later. As you can tell, I LOVE that series! Tigers is cool too, but I sway towards the CS every time, I don't regret the purchase of Tigers though. As was mentioned, there are a ton of extras for Tigers, but then CS is being expanded as well, we have a lot planned down the road for it!! I recommend both, as they are so different in scale.
Title: Re: Comparison please?
Post by: Flywheel on July 21, 2016, 08:23:23 PM
Looks like I might have some expense ahead of me then. I wondered if I might as reviews seem such a close thing, idjester has put his heart into portraying these games
Title: Re: Comparison please?
Post by: -budd- on July 21, 2016, 08:24:42 PM
I own both, like both but CS would be my choice, East front, west front and pacific in one package. Not to mention battle generator for each front and campaigns. If you liked what you saw in the videos, you'll be playing CS for years. As mentioned above they are different scales and play quite differently.
Title: Re: Comparison please?
Post by: Flywheel on July 21, 2016, 08:31:24 PM
Just your three comments have tilted it in favour of JTCS so that is the first I will get, and having just had a look at the mods from Warhorse, well, shame to see those go to waste as well! ;)
I appreciate the replies, great help. Thank you.
Title: Re: Comparison please?
Post by: acctingman on July 22, 2016, 10:08:30 AM
Where are these mods for JTCS? (Warhorse ones in particular)

Thanks

Nevermind.....found them  :uglystupid2:
Title: Re: Comparison please?
Post by: Warhorse on July 22, 2016, 02:47:20 PM
Any problems/questions, please give a shout! Always up for some PBEM!!
Title: Re: Comparison please?
Post by: acctingman on July 22, 2016, 03:02:29 PM
The 3d maps....any chance you have a screen shot of that? Curious what it looks like compared to the original game map.

I didn't see any screenshots, but I'm kind of slow, so I could have missed it  :uglystupid2:
Title: Re: Comparison please?
Post by: Warhorse on July 22, 2016, 07:26:21 PM
Here is a map I made for the WW1 Mod, with textured 3d terrain enabled-(https://bd6inq-dm2305.files.1drv.com/y3m-cHVxfs9wMiQsgWPIpCdIXv5TqNRwCTlpMRXpVp5c01W_rMh8RLI9bka6GAIsPkf2MYiyWmmXrg_56ZQ_tBWBb3FO442PvKTGrANXa__1aumT2xgYYM-IXOQLZGDfsQGKAlfcN0jRuYJY6h-QZNMbWU39nYU51N7AJGsSHpaWBk?width=1352&height=637&cropmode=none)

And here without, same area. Slight change to the appearance of the open terrain, to appear more undulating.
(https://bd4jqg-dm2305.files.1drv.com/y3mDVNRyP6w0a6SgI8BEwL0nwjxBc3LwI7Pc5dKwBYlkaGOA0tt2T3kTbQGs1szgvXgEPHi45mZ_i2C2UPKZ1bThRX6j6HEGZDNcw6nLf49a-KQUPXtF43WRcKef1Su2w6qUh2Iho9zrBzQGdfNtBbmDoxjG41MufOsERoqqnvXoPQ?width=1339&height=639&cropmode=none)
Title: Re: Comparison please?
Post by: acctingman on July 22, 2016, 07:30:20 PM
Quote from: Warhorse on July 22, 2016, 07:26:21 PM
Here is a map I made for the WW1 Mod, with textured 3d terrain enabled-(https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmEaW_rdp6RpgS8DGIFPh45MCJyB)

And here without, same area. Slight change to the appearance of the open terrain, to appear more undulating.
(https://bd4jqg-dm2305.files.1drv.com/y3mDVNRyP6w0a6SgI8BEwL0nwjxBc3LwI7Pc5dKwBYlkaGOA0tt2T3kTbQGs1szgvXgEPHi45mZ_i2C2UPKZ1bThRX6j6HEGZDNcw6nLf49a-KQUPXtF43WRcKef1Su2w6qUh2Iho9zrBzQGdfNtBbmDoxjG41MufOsERoqqnvXoPQ?width=1339&height=639&cropmode=none)

Did you forget the link in the fix example?
Title: Re: Comparison please?
Post by: Warhorse on July 22, 2016, 07:37:13 PM
Sorry, had to F%&$ around till I found out how to scale properly! My apologies!!

EDIT-Grr, still looks better in-game! There is shadowing that isn't showing in the post properly.
Title: Re: Comparison please?
Post by: acctingman on July 22, 2016, 09:13:35 PM
No worries!

Thank you Warhorse!  O0

This is going to be a definite buy for me now (well, once I see it go on sale).

Speaking of that....is Matrix the only place to buy JTCS?
Title: Re: Comparison please?
Post by: Warhorse on July 23, 2016, 06:36:01 AM
I believe so. Saw it on Amazon, but think it goes through Matrix anyway, and another from Japan, waaaay high!! The newest game in this series, as it were, is the Middle East, lots of new enhancements from the older games in that. Next is Vietnam, which we are working on now, coming in 2017.
Title: Re: Comparison please?
Post by: Flywheel on July 23, 2016, 10:02:16 AM
I now have JTCS and learning it pretty good. I don't mind the £24.99, I've spent more on some right crap in the past.
What with JTCS on the one hand and trying to tackle Gary Grigsby's two monsters on the other, I think my next few weeks are well taken over.  :2funny:
Title: Re: Comparison please?
Post by: Warhorse on July 23, 2016, 11:19:13 AM
Glad to hear it, there are soo many scenario's, and different mods to use, you won't get tired of it! Go here-http://www.theblitz.org/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=240 (http://www.theblitz.org/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=240) to get some terrain mods and other stuff to try. It uses JSGME to swap the files in and out of the game so nothing is permanently overwritten!
Title: Re: Comparison please?
Post by: acctingman on July 23, 2016, 11:42:13 AM
What is JSGME?
Title: Re: Comparison please?
Post by: Pete Dero on July 23, 2016, 01:01:25 PM
Quote from: acctingman on July 23, 2016, 11:42:13 AM
What is JSGME?

http://rofmods.com/en/JSGME_Utility/

allows users to easily activate and deactivate mods (and this for many games : rise of flight, dcs world, silent hunter, ...)
Title: Re: Comparison please?
Post by: acctingman on July 23, 2016, 01:19:49 PM
Thank you Pete!  O0
Title: Re: Comparison please?
Post by: Warhorse on July 23, 2016, 03:31:13 PM
Yes, my bad, I didn't even think about the fact that not everyone knows what JSGME is! I've been using it for a long time. I'm pretty sure my WW1 game comes with it already in the directory, just dbl-click on the exe, it will start up, saying about making a mods folder, hit ok, then exit. From then on out, any mods get unzipped into the mods folder, you activate JSGME, now you will see the mod listed on the left, click once on it, hit the right hand arrow to activate the mod, it might warn of stuff, but hit ok, and exit! You can't mess anything up this way. If you make any mods to your game, just make a new folder in mods, then whatever you mod, make sure you have any folders in the named folder, ie, maps, etc. I use this little program with every game I have, and it works awesome!
Title: Re: Comparison please?
Post by: Jason Petho on July 23, 2016, 04:31:53 PM


Here is a YouTube video that I put together that shows how easy the JSGME program is to use.

Keep in mind, this somes with the Campaign Series Middle East game, hence the focus on that, but will work similar for any game, I believe.

Jason Petho
Title: Re: Comparison please?
Post by: Flywheel on July 23, 2016, 06:16:53 PM
Warhorse: Thanks for the  JSGME info, I will use that.

Jason: Thanks for the video link, that is so well presented and as clear as if you came and installed it for me.
Cheers guys.
Title: Re: Comparison please?
Post by: Warhorse on July 23, 2016, 06:50:52 PM
Thanks a bunch, Jason! O0
Title: Re: Comparison please?
Post by: Jason Petho on July 23, 2016, 07:08:48 PM
You're most welcome!
Title: Re: Comparison please?
Post by: Greybriar on July 23, 2016, 07:50:08 PM
Quote from: acctingman on July 23, 2016, 11:42:13 AM
What is JSGME?

Pete explained what it is, but in case anyone is wondering, JSGME = Jonesoft Generic Mod Enabler.
Title: Re: Comparison please?
Post by: panzerde on July 23, 2016, 08:14:21 PM
^ Which is massively useful for a lot of games, not just Campaign Series. I use it with all of my Tiller games and others.
Title: Re: Comparison please?
Post by: -budd- on July 23, 2016, 09:53:37 PM
great program use it for all my wargames.

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1144.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fo484%2Fronnie8691%2FScreen%2520Shot%252007-23-16%2520at%252007.50%2520PM_zpsj7jlaelt.png&hash=87efd88463f4551344c463ea70dc89c5b446dade)
Title: Re: Comparison please?
Post by: Crossroads on July 24, 2016, 10:57:33 AM
Quote from: -budd- on July 23, 2016, 09:53:37 PM
great program use it for all my wargames.

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1144.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fo484%2Fronnie8691%2FScreen%2520Shot%252007-23-16%2520at%252007.50%2520PM_zpsj7jlaelt.png&hash=87efd88463f4551344c463ea70dc89c5b446dade)

Neat  :)

JSGME seconded by me as well. Why risk your install with tinkering with files manually, when you can easily set up several mods in place that can be added and removed with a click of a mouse.

JSGME download available for example HERE (http://www.softpedia.com/get/Others/Miscellaneous/Generic-Mod-Enabler.shtml). That is the latest and final version that is available. It is not maintained anymore, but has worked for me from XP to W10 and all OS'es in between.

edit: oh I see Pete's already provided a download link. Well here's another then  :D
Title: Re: Comparison please?
Post by: Flywheel on July 24, 2016, 12:18:12 PM
It does no harm to have alternative links. Thank you.
Title: Re: Comparison please?
Post by: Crossroads on July 25, 2016, 03:12:55 AM
Quote from: Flywheel on July 24, 2016, 12:18:12 PM
It does no harm to have alternative links. Thank you.

If anyone knows of a later version please let me know. This is the latest one I have been able to find.
Title: Re: Comparison please?
Post by: Pete Dero on July 25, 2016, 04:15:18 AM
Quote from: Crossroads on July 25, 2016, 03:12:55 AM
Quote from: Flywheel on July 24, 2016, 12:18:12 PM
It does no harm to have alternative links. Thank you.

If anyone knows of a later version please let me know. This is the latest one I have been able to find.

v2.6.0 is the latest and the last version.  The homepage is gone so the alternative download locations are the only way to get it these days.
Another download location : http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=3759
Title: Re: Comparison please?
Post by: Crossroads on July 25, 2016, 10:16:04 PM
2.6.0.157 to be specific, right?
Title: Re: Comparison please?
Post by: Pete Dero on July 26, 2016, 02:26:17 AM
Quote from: Crossroads on July 25, 2016, 10:16:04 PM
2.6.0.157 to be specific, right?

correct
Title: Re: Comparison please?
Post by: Flywheel on July 27, 2016, 07:30:14 AM
John Tillers Campaign looks easy enough, and the system is easy enough; winning a scenario is an entirely different matter. I am enjoying the challenge. As for War in the East/West. That is a looong learning challenge, I am about to launch into learning with Hofstadter's YouTube tutorials and playthrough. I love his broadcasts.
Title: Re: Comparison please?
Post by: Sir Slash on July 27, 2016, 08:49:33 AM
Fly, have you tried the Decisive Campaigns games at all? They're monster strategic with a little less monster to have to learn and great fun. Very good and tough AI.
Title: Re: Comparison please?
Post by: Flywheel on July 27, 2016, 09:45:56 AM
I haven't, but I want the Barbarossa one.
Title: Re: Comparison please?
Post by: Philippe on July 27, 2016, 10:27:52 AM
Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa will re-arrange your thinking about what a wargame is supposed to be.  An eye-opening experience.
Title: Re: Comparison please?
Post by: Flywheel on July 27, 2016, 11:34:54 AM
I've moved it further up the 'Want it' list