Still not sure I'm doing this right. But I'm trying.
Just woke up, I'm going to Camp Lejeune to visit my boy in the 3-6. Also known as the Teufelhunden (Devil Dogs).
I think the rules are I'm to put a Friday song that Metaldog will like, and wknd games I'll be playing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcZwiVbZ4Kw
I'll be on the road mostly, but on Sunday night it'll be:
Civ V
Stellaris
Ultimate General Gettysburg
There are a few games i would like to play this weekend:
- Grand Ages Rome: playing the last map of the campaign "Reign of Augustus" with my kids. The game will stay on HD for a very long time too.
- Some Imperium Romanum or Imperium Civitas
- Master of Orion 4 ...EA6 has just been released.
- Horizon
Now...as i am finishing the campaign in Grand Ages Rome, i am thinking about the next "City-Builder" game i am going to play, so let's hear what you guys suggest....my current options: Tropico III, Crookz, Stronghold III, Caesar IV, Space Colony or Anno 1701. I already played the first mission (economic campaign) of Stronghold III but am not convinced by the engine (the good gameplay is still the same however as in the other games)...i know Simon Bradbury admitted they made a mistake when they chose that specific engine.
pbem:
- Field of Glory (if Boggit plays his turn ;))
- Armada 2526
Purchased the Order of Battle WW2: Winter War yesterday. Haven't got a chance to try it out yet, so looking forward to give it a spin this weekend. CS:Middle East PBEM vs Berto should see another turn this weekend too :smitten:
Quote from: paplan on July 22, 2016, 01:13:28 AM
Still not sure I'm doing this right. But I'm trying.
Just woke up, I'm going to Camp Lejeune to visit my boy in the 3-6. Also known as the Teufelhunden (Devil Dogs).
I think the rules are I'm to put a Friday song that Metaldog will like, and wknd games I'll be playing.
I'll be on the road mostly, but on Sunday night it'll be:
Civ V
Stellaris
Ultimate General Gettysburg
It sure is nice of you to try and put a song I like. Although, the "rules," are, no Bon Jovi songs, Friday should be used as part of a song lyric in the title, and FRIDAY should be all caps, the fact that you want to start a weekend thread just means it's working :)
Been spending time this week at civfanatics.com trying to learn how to be a better Civ player. I keep getting my ass handed to me and I am tired of it. So, any game time this weekend will most likely be spent trying to put into practice the things I learn.
After busting my ass driving a computer from 0700ish to 2200ish all week (so far) because of various and sundry engineering projects, I'm going to shoot people in ARMA and its going to feel pretty damn good if I can get to a good stopping point today.
Quote from: MetalDog on July 22, 2016, 05:58:06 AM
...
Been spending time this week at civfanatics.com trying to learn how to be a better Civ player. I keep getting my ass handed to me and I am tired of it. So, any game time this weekend will most likely be spent trying to put into practice the things I learn.
BAH! Those cretins at civfanatics just take all the fun out of the game by gaming the system. Just play as you do and you'll get better or learn the "system". I like playing Civ for the fun of the playing, don't really care if I win. I just like to see the sweep of history and explore the maps.
VASSAL work, maybe some Stellaris or CiV, can't wait fer Civ VI to come out!
Maybe some solo boardgaming, have OST and The War setup on my table... just need to sit down and learn the rules.
Have really gotten into painting my Recon minis lately. Had to re-learn my brush techniques as it's been better than 30 years since I painted anything smaller than a wall. I have to use magnifying reading glasses to do it as well. :P
And there's always yard work.
Quote from: paplan on July 22, 2016, 01:13:28 AM
...I think the rules are I'm to put a Friday song that Metaldog will like...
One day I want to see the complete list of the Groghead rules. ::)
This weekend will be mostly
Rimworld. I don't think a game has captured my attention like this in quite a while. I may try to play something else if my colonists die again. Maybe even throw some dice with a real board game if I can avoid the catpocalypse.
Quote from: MetalDog on July 22, 2016, 05:58:06 AM
Although, the "rules," are, no Bon Jovi songs...
:knuppel2:
I have no idea. I'm still occasionally installing something on my new rig and trying it out, and still amazed with how fast it loads, how well it runs, and how quickly it goes back to the desktop upon exiting.
My son is in camp this week - he's a counselor at a religious camp for disabled kids. He's not religious, but he goes to a Catholic school, and he needs 100 volunteer hours for his senior year next year, so this camp is fitting the bill. My wife and I are both eager to hear from him how it went. Most of our Saturday is going to be spent already. But I really want to get back to my Silent Victory AAR, and try installing my saved games from Pool of Radiance and other games off of the old rig, to continue my AARs (including Twilight Struggle).
Will be playing in the Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage tournament tomorrow if I get to WBC (http://www.boardgamers.org/wbcindex.html) in time to sign in and get my badge before it starts. After that (assuming that my relative newby ass gets eliminated in the first game or 2 ;D) I'll wander over to the monster war games room and see what/if any giant games are in progress or still being set up. Sunday I'll probably play Virgin Queen if no monster game has sucked me in.
A good part of Monday will be taken up by the Sekigahara tournament and I have a 4 player Andean Abyss game scheduled for Tuesday. (but now I've wandered beyond the weekend.) You guys are awesome O0 and I'd love to meet you, but THIS is why I never make it to Origins!
Quote from: paplan on July 22, 2016, 01:13:28 AM
I think the rules are I'm to put a Friday song that Metaldog will hate, particularly Bon Jovi and other big hair metal bands, preferrably with a pun in the title
all fixed - this will set his weekend on fire!!
Well done 'Geek.
I will continue my Attila TW campaign as Aksum. Great campaign - unique, fun and challenging. But after a while it wears down on my remaining brain cell. To alleviate that I may fire up Ryse to just chill and relax. Wasteland 2 also beckons.
Additionally The Wife and MiniGusses will be away in Georgia for a week starting Sunday! The only negative there is that I to drive them to the airport at 4am this Sunday. But rejoice with me anyway!!
freeeddooommmmmm
Nice Gus.
Bit of Totalwarhammer and then not sure about what else might try one of my many unplayed steam games.
Quote from: Gusington on July 22, 2016, 08:44:07 AM
Well done 'Geek.
I will continue my Attila TW campaign as Aksum. Great campaign - unique, fun and challenging. But after a while it wears down on my remaining brain cell. To alleviate that I may fire up Ryse to just chill and relax. Wasteland 2 also beckons.
Additionally The Wife and MiniGusses will be away in Georgia for a week starting Sunday! The only negative there is that I to drive them to the airport at 4am this Sunday. But rejoice with me anyway!!
oh man, a week of walking round the house in underwear and not having to lock the bathroom door
GF is on a cruise in the med this week, ive found that whilst im fully ok with the underwear thing i still lock the bathroom door even though theres just me
The worlds in a bad enough state without you wondering around in yer underwear.
Quote from: bob48 on July 22, 2016, 02:26:06 PM
The worlds in a bad enough state without you wondering around in yer underwear.
Are you sure he's not 'wondering' around in
her underwear?
I'm flying my work desk...again, this weekend. Had a major project get dropped on my desk this morning that is due my end of day Monday.
Assuming I can work up the energy after the hours I'm going to have to work, I'm going to continue the work on my current CMANO scenario. Its turning in a different scenario then the one I originally intended to make. Plenty of other things I'd like to play; Elite, Cities Skylines, KSP, and finally reading the rules for Falling Sky, but I doubt I'm going to have the time or energy.
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on July 22, 2016, 02:30:41 PM
Quote from: bob48 on July 22, 2016, 02:26:06 PM
The worlds in a bad enough state without you wondering around in yer underwear.
Are you sure he's not 'wondering' around in her underwear?
eeewwwww
Family and I are heading to Nashville tomorrow for about 5 days of fun. So won't get much gaming in. What I do will be most likely Stellaris and maybe CKII.
Quote from: Anguille on July 22, 2016, 03:34:37 AM
There are a few games i would like to play this weekend:
- Grand Ages Rome: playing the last map of the campaign "Reign of Augustus" with my kids. The game will stay on HD for a very long time too.
- Some Imperium Romanum or Imperium Civitas
- Master of Orion 4 ...EA6 has just been released.
- Horizon
Now...as i am finishing the campaign in Grand Ages Rome, i am thinking about the next "City-Builder" game i am going to play, so let's hear what you guys suggest....my current options: Tropico III, Crookz, Stronghold III, Caesar IV, Space Colony or Anno 1701. I already played the first mission (economic campaign) of Stronghold III but am not convinced by the engine (the good gameplay is still the same however as in the other games)...i know Simon Bradbury admitted they made a mistake when they chose that specific engine.
pbem:
- Field of Glory (if Boggit plays his turn ;))
- Armada 2526
:-[ Doing it NOW!!! ;D
PBEM: Field of Glory with Anguille
PzC Sicily with Cyrano and Panzerde (my ally)
CM TBD
Something spacy/fantasy
Wandering around in underwear of any type and never locking the bathroom door is pretty ordinary day to day for us here, especially in summer. All know that the bathroom is also my library and when I disappear it is to read in peace...lock not needed.
Truly the man of his house
Quote from: Gusington on July 22, 2016, 06:39:28 PM
All know that the bathroom is also my library and when I disappear it is to read in peace...lock not needed.
Really, now? You get to do that and don't get questions like, "Why were you in the bathroom for 45 minutes?!?"
45 minutes?? More like 15. Let's not get silly.
Yeah, 45 minutes can't be for reading... unless it ends with sticky pages. ;D
That's funny. Gus has a library in his bathroom and I have a drive-thru convenience store in mine. Something about me shutting the bathroom door causes the phone to ring, the doorbell to chime, or a marching band to come down the hall all needing something located ONLY in the bathroom when I'm in it.
This weekend I'll be trying to finish my CMFI's Conrath's Counterattack Campaign: battle 5 Piano Lupo where I have 7 minutes to secure the objective and nothing between my forces and it but open, empty space. That's when this game REALLY starts to worry me. :-\
Quote from: Staggerwing on July 22, 2016, 09:17:21 PM
Yeah, 45 minutes can't be for reading... unless it ends with sticky pages. ;D
Let's be real, that's only 2.5 min then.
Quote from: Barthheart on July 22, 2016, 07:09:40 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on July 22, 2016, 05:58:06 AM
...
Been spending time this week at civfanatics.com trying to learn how to be a better Civ player. I keep getting my ass handed to me and I am tired of it. So, any game time this weekend will most likely be spent trying to put into practice the things I learn.
BAH! Those cretins at civfanatics just take all the fun out of the game by gaming the system. Just play as you do and you'll get better or learn the "system". I like playing Civ for the fun of the playing, don't really care if I win. I just like to see the sweep of history and explore the maps.
I am not near as smart as I need to be to game the system. Too math-y for me. But, I want to at least master some of the basics.
Quote from: Toonces on July 22, 2016, 08:14:34 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on July 22, 2016, 05:58:06 AM
Although, the "rules," are, no Bon Jovi songs...
:knuppel2:
You have to admit, you don't like Bon Jovi songs either. If you do, that must make you a pubescent teen with big hair and bad taste.
Quote from: undercovergeek on July 22, 2016, 08:26:07 AM
Quote from: paplan on July 22, 2016, 01:13:28 AM
I think the rules are I'm to put a Friday song that Metaldog will hate, particularly Bon Jovi and other big hair metal bands, preferrably with a pun in the title
all fixed - this will set his weekend on fire!!
paplan, this is very BAD advice. Hair metal and puns are the twin pillars of Satan's attempts to control the world. Giving in means you love Satan. You don't do you?
(https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/f5/b0/e0/f5b0e02020b7f6b72e04f2da74314f7a.jpg)
-head explodes-
Should have been Jon Bon Punny for the kill.
This thread need some music.
Gus, take care of this.
Quote from: OJsDad on July 23, 2016, 03:19:26 PM
This thread need some music.
:)
Anyway away from the big hair so far for me its been mainly
Stellaris which has started to grow on me, previously it had generally been prompting me to try and play a bit more Distant Worlds, not quite sure why.
Also picked up the free version of
Cthulhu Realms (already have the card game) which is good fun for 15-30 mins at a time, I'll probably pick up the paid version with improved AI soonish.
Also downloaded the Cthulhu mod for Stellaris so might combine the two above - Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
Man, when OJ does it, he really does it. ;D
OJ are you a cowboy?
Me play HOI IV long time.
Playing Heroes and Generals. Got shot by two different players who had a funny message pop up on the 'kill cam'. Whenever you die in H&G they post a popup that shows you a portrait of the player and the weapon he used to kill you. You can name your weapons and some people name them things like what I saw today that made me chuckle. Imagine getting killed and facing a message that said "Aw, did that hurt?" and "Bye bye Bozo". Its that little things in life that entertain me.
Picked up Star Ocean 5 a few weeks ago and will try to spend time with it, yeah.
Watching my favorite YouTube gaming vids.
Sweet freedom. Wife and kids gone. Chores done, dog walked, allergies and sunburn subsiding. Now what?
How far is it to your house? Do you have a Tiki bar by the pool?
I've been playing the hell out of Pillars of Eternity for the last 2 weeks. My party is up to level 8.
Got the wife and nephew to play Marvel Munchkin yesterday. Lost again. I always lose Munchkin.
My door is always open 'Wing. Me and the dog hanging today. It was the tiki bar by the pool that got me in trouble yesterday! Today is for laying low like a lounge lizard under a rock.
Quote from: Gusington on July 24, 2016, 11:00:26 AM
Sweet freedom. Wife and kids gone. Chores done, dog walked, allergies and sunburn subsiding. Now what?
Scrapbooking, finish of that unicorn coloring-in book, paint your nails..? Come on, dude! It's time to be a man: set up those plastic soldiers around your monitor and play some computer games!
The catch here is that I got the chores done first and drove the family to the airport at 4am to catch their flight. Now I'm basically a zombie. Maybe a nap first, then manliness?
Okie dokie. Sounds like a plan: nap first, then full-on manliness.
OK I'm going in.
Quote from: Gusington on July 24, 2016, 11:51:04 AM
Maybe a nap first, then manliness?
Won't you need another nap after the 'manliness'
Well I played three hours (!) of Attila TW as Aksum, great campaign and very interesting faction dynamics and units. I made peace with the Sassanids, made Persia my puppet, and kicked some Atropatene (?) arse. MANLY.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.akamai.steamusercontent.com%2Fugc%2F490148994123066169%2FA435BB79F0206EFFC7D5B9292C3EC0C8C25D0822%2F&hash=981f49137635d124d612d15656ca327e6d31f73c)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.akamai.steamusercontent.com%2Fugc%2F490148994123065837%2F1CA4D58527AD2437B5A33A58860033E6536B033D%2F&hash=bbd99618e692498a564be301704f5eea4e1ad015)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.akamai.steamusercontent.com%2Fugc%2F490148994123065735%2FC6DA579B723DA4278CF82D7A26C5DB26AF00F44A%2F&hash=adc7b39dd061de93ad728df6aa1616cf8e49e486)
Nice pictures Gus...seems you're having fun O0
Finished the last map of Grand Ages: Rome and have selected Tropico III to be my next main game...(finished first map).
Also played a game of Master of Orion IV.
Yessir...Aksum is a great faction :)
BTW - I noticed you stopped playing Grand Ages - Medieval and went back to Grand Ages - Rome...
Quote from: Gusington on July 24, 2016, 04:46:33 PM
Yessir...Aksum is a great faction :)
BTW - I noticed you stopped playing Grand Ages - Medieval and went back to Grand Ages - Rome...
It was already a couple of months ago...i completed both campaigns in Grand Ages: Rome and played about 60 hours to get there...great game. I had fun with Grand Ages Medieval but it's very different type of game.
Quote from: Anguille on July 24, 2016, 04:04:31 PM
Nice pictures Gus...seems you're having fun O0
Finished the last map of Grand Ages: Rome and have selected Tropico III to be my next main game...(finished first map).
Also played a game of Master of Orion IV.
How is MoO IV with the new EA6 release
Quote from: Sir Slash on July 22, 2016, 09:51:49 PM
This weekend I'll be trying to finish my CMFI's Conrath's Counterattack Campaign: battle 5 Piano Lupo where I have 7 minutes to secure the objective and nothing between my forces and it but open, empty space. That's when this game REALLY starts to worry me. :-\
So who's up as sniper bait? ;D
I have an old copy of Grand Ages Rome around here somewhere...a lot of complaints about the new Grand Ages game stemmed from the huge difference between it and Rome IIRC.
I actually managed to win battle 5 of the Conrath's Counterattack Campaign for CMFI. :D In fact a Total Victory with 164 American casualties including 112 dead and 3 tanks in this VERY tough fight with lots of tricky terrain LOS complications. This one should be called, "The Hills Have Eyes" because the Americans seem to be able to spot every move you make and rain 60mm mortars down on it. Of which they NEVER seem to run-out. So it wasn't cheap-- 70 men lost including 31 KIA and 3 tanks lost and another 4 disabled. Next up is the final battle of the campaign to drive the US Army back into the Med.
Quote from: mikeck on July 24, 2016, 06:59:35 PM
Quote from: Anguille on July 24, 2016, 04:04:31 PM
Nice pictures Gus...seems you're having fun O0
Finished the last map of Grand Ages: Rome and have selected Tropico III to be my next main game...(finished first map).
Also played a game of Master of Orion IV.
How is MoO IV with the new EA6 release
It's a very decent game and i already had enough fun for my money.
The AI is imho better and challenging enough for me on normal difficulty. I've lost all the last games i've played (two economic losses and one military defeat). I am no Robert E. Lee and you'll find many who still find it too easy on harder settings.
I am not a big fan of starlanes but it works and is well implemented. Colony management is very micro (like in MOO2). One of the biggest changes since EA5 is that population growth is slower so the initial phase of expansion takes longer. One of the greatest thing about the game is that you can customise it a lot (which victories etc.) so it's really possible to set up the games as you like.
- Espionnage is really not great now and i tend to skip it. They said they want to make a new system so it's on their list.
- Ground attacks isn't great and i have yet to see the AI doing any...they usually just bomb planets.
- Pre-Warp setting is still too hard for the AI (usually gets crushed by pirates).
I think that they consider the release after the next EA (maybe 2 months?) even if they still have a few things they want to implement post-release. This means that the "normal" and cheaper edition should be there soon.
Quote from: Gusington on July 24, 2016, 08:31:33 PM
I have an old copy of Grand Ages Rome around here somewhere...a lot of complaints about the new Grand Ages game stemmed from the huge difference between it and Rome IIRC.
Indeed, if you jumped (like me) from Imperium Romanum to Grand Ages: Rome, you had to rethink how to play...if you tried to play it the same way without reading the manual or play the tutorials, you would find your cities burning down very fast! They are different games, one is micro and the other macro:
- Imperium Romanum: economy is based on individuals who look for a job and have needs. Individuals can work in any building (there's a difference between man and woman though). In this game, you collect goods and products. A sawmill produces goods and once you have enough, you can build a house. You don't need money (it helps but you can complete the game without it). There's no research needed, all buildings are available from the start. Military is basic (infantery, archers and cavalery).
- Grand Ages: Rome: economy is based on houses (3 different types) which makes buildings work. Plebeians, Equites and Patricians can work only in specific buildings (most work is being done by Plebeians). In this game, a building, like a sawmill gives a constant amout of woods. A working sawmill will allow you to build a certain amount of houses...if the need for wood is bigger than the production, fire will start. Money is the base of your economy here...no money, no buildings. You have to make research to unlock most of the buildings. Military is much better and there's a lot of different units available. It's however mostly cool in MP games (don't play them so much).
As you can see, both games are very different but both very cool imho.
Nevermind. Posted in the wrong place.