GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: MetalDog on July 29, 2016, 05:53:56 AM

Title: 10th Avenue FRIDAY
Post by: MetalDog on July 29, 2016, 05:53:56 AM



Took most of the beginning of the week watching videos of how to get better at Monarch difficulty in Civ.  I've played one game which was a dud and now I am in the middle of another that pits me, De Gaulle, against Mao Zedong and Suleiman on the same continent.  I am playing in a way I never would have thought and it's the most 'one more turn,' than I have experienced in a long time.  Can't wait to get home tonight and play some more.
Title: Re: 10th Avenue FRIDAY
Post by: jamus34 on July 29, 2016, 06:19:39 AM
Well Rimworld has truly and totally grabbed my attention. I have not loaded up anything else in the past week so that will continue to be the case I think
Title: Re: 10th Avenue FRIDAY
Post by: tgb on July 29, 2016, 06:29:26 AM
I've got a couple of Twilight Struggle games going, but mostly it'll be an Early Access weekend spent with Epic Manager and Pocket Space Empire.
Title: Re: 10th Avenue FRIDAY
Post by: Jarhead0331 on July 29, 2016, 06:50:24 AM
^how do you feel about pocket space empire? I got nervous during early access when a lot of the updates included removing features in order to make an already pretty simple game more simple.
Title: Re: 10th Avenue FRIDAY
Post by: Dammit Carl! on July 29, 2016, 06:58:02 AM
Welp, after a disasterous meeting with the next husband my Mom is going to have (#3 and counting), all I got is booze and ARMA on my mind.

Or, I'll just play murdermans on any host of zombie sandboxy games I've got - i.e. DayZ, etc. - and just be dickish in general.
Title: Re: 10th Avenue FRIDAY
Post by: Barthheart on July 29, 2016, 07:14:05 AM
No gaming until Sunday as I'll be at a friend's cottage starting tonight. So nothing but beer tomorrow.  O0

Then my two weeks of vacation start!  :D

Plenty of yard work to do.
VASSAL work to catch up on.
Sitting next to the pool drinking beer and painting minis.

And lots a gaming both PC and board.

8)
Title: Re: 10th Avenue FRIDAY
Post by: mirth on July 29, 2016, 07:19:51 AM
Minis gaming tonight and tomorrow.
Title: Re: 10th Avenue FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on July 29, 2016, 07:40:43 AM
Continuing my Attila TW campaign as Aksum and maybe some Ryse. Battlefleet Gothic has been whispering to me from across the room as well...
Title: Re: 10th Avenue FRIDAY
Post by: jamus34 on July 29, 2016, 07:52:03 AM
Quote from: Dammit Carl! on July 29, 2016, 06:58:02 AM
Welp, after a disasterous meeting with the next husband my Mom is going to have (#3 and counting), all I got is booze and ARMA on my mind.

Or, I'll just play murdermans on any host of zombie sandboxy games I've got - i.e. DayZ, etc. - and just be dickish in general.
Want to really be a dick pick up any of the COD games and just TK the whole time  >:D
Title: Re: 10th Avenue FRIDAY
Post by: Kushan on July 29, 2016, 08:00:38 AM
More work and CMANO scenario editing for me. Would like to play some Elite and Stellaris but it's not likely given my work schedule.
Title: Re: 10th Avenue FRIDAY
Post by: Dammit Carl! on July 29, 2016, 08:07:09 AM
Quote from: jamus34 on July 29, 2016, 07:52:03 AM
Want to really be a dick pick up any of the COD games and just TK the whole time  >:D

Hmmm...that idea does have merit too.
Title: Re: 10th Avenue FRIDAY
Post by: JasonPratt on July 29, 2016, 12:21:00 PM
The new Telltale Batman game will release August 1, and I've been messing around a little with the start of the Arkham Knight campaign again while I'm waiting. (I enjoy that series so much! -- and despite its PC port being unoptimized and unable to function up to spec graphically, Knight is the best of the group. Besides, I've never played the campaign with all the in-game extra missions included.)

Still pushing my way through my first play of the original Company of Heroes Normandy campaign -- got Cherbourg done last night; now time for a V2 rocket site which promises to change gears. If possibly I'd like to get some CoH2 teamplay going over the weekend.

The new "Primitive + " official total conversion DLC for Ark: Survival Evolved looks like it'll be great once the bugs are ironed out; which reminds me I want to try getting into that game again. (The main game is more epic in some ways, ramping up from practically nothing to sci-fi weapons; the Primitive+ mod keeps things more grounded in what real people might be able to accomplish, and also focuses on creating a semi-medieval economy on servers with a large population.)

Might go back to Battlefleet: Gothic for another mission or two. I don't understand why I haven't been able to get into that game at all.

Might try to pay attention enough during the Man-O-War Corsair opening missions to save the dang game so if/when I die I don't have to restart from scratch! -- but it's still a bit unfinished although advancing.

Might try to expand my Fortresscraft base into making the next tier of equipment, and solving a bug-fix which means my coal furnace won't work at the depth I planted it anymore.
Title: Re: 10th Avenue FRIDAY
Post by: DoctorQuest on July 29, 2016, 12:42:28 PM
Going to the Offutt AFB Open House Saturday with the daughter. Going to see Star Trek Beyond on Sunday with the son.

Probably not much gaming this weekend.
Title: Re: 10th Avenue FRIDAY
Post by: tgb on July 29, 2016, 02:03:06 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 29, 2016, 06:50:24 AM
^how do you feel about pocket space empire? I got nervous during early access when a lot of the updates included removing features in order to make an already pretty simple game more simple.

I haven't really tackled it yet.  I had it sitting in my backlog and forgotten all about it until poking around for something space-y to play.  I watched a couple of videos, including yours, but won't actually sit down with it until sometime tonight or tomorrow.

I'll keep you posted.
Title: Re: 10th Avenue FRIDAY
Post by: Sir Slash on July 29, 2016, 02:34:03 PM
American Civil War 2 if I get the time, where the USS Patapsco stood-in for the USS Monitor vs the CSS Virginia. Don't know why this was a Union Victory, we lost more of everything but I'll take it. I got 2 more Monitor Class ironclads close by so we'll see how the Virginia fares against all three.
Title: Re: 10th Avenue FRIDAY
Post by: WallysWorld on July 29, 2016, 02:55:15 PM
Bought Fleet Command from Steam and installed the excellent NWP mod. Just been playing around with the game as I haven't installed it for many years. It's still a good simulation.
Title: Re: 10th Avenue FRIDAY
Post by: bbmike on July 29, 2016, 02:56:34 PM
Rimworld and 7 Days to Die are the most likely choices.
Title: Re: 10th Avenue FRIDAY
Post by: Anguille on July 29, 2016, 03:18:43 PM
Looks like that i am going to play mostly  the following games:

- Horizon
- Master of Orion IV
- Tropico III
- Oriental Empires
Title: Re: 10th Avenue FRIDAY
Post by: Raied on July 29, 2016, 04:01:12 PM
After long vacation on Mexico's shores, I am back to work ...and gaming, now I am lost seeing my library full of new game bought during the summer sales, deciding what to play, not seeing a good updates from paradox recent games, I think I will restart a campaign on DC:B.
Title: Re: 10th Avenue FRIDAY
Post by: panzerde on July 29, 2016, 04:24:54 PM
I'm still very much on an 18th C. kick, so it'll be more Prussia's Glory/Prussia's Glory II boardgaming for me along with beginning to work through the Battles of the Age of Reason Primer with Fontenoy. Otherwise it's just returning outstanding PBEM turns on games, though most of my PBEM opponents seem to have decided it's summer and they should be outside or something.

Title: Re: 10th Avenue FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on July 29, 2016, 05:41:11 PM
Is Oriental Empires due out anytime soon?
Title: Re: 10th Avenue FRIDAY
Post by: Staggerwing on July 29, 2016, 05:51:26 PM
Quote from: WallysWorld on July 29, 2016, 02:55:15 PM
Bought Fleet Command from Steam and installed the excellent NWP mod. Just been playing around with the game as I haven't installed it for many years. It's still a good simulation.

Is the NWS mod still available? I may have an archived copy somewhere but no idea where to even begin looking.
Title: Re: 10th Avenue FRIDAY
Post by: Anguille on July 29, 2016, 06:00:06 PM
Quote from: Gusington on July 29, 2016, 05:41:11 PM
Is Oriental Empires due out anytime soon?
There's a good chance that they will release it before CiV VI... ;)
Title: Re: 10th Avenue FRIDAY
Post by: WallysWorld on July 29, 2016, 06:01:34 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on July 29, 2016, 05:51:26 PM
Is the NWS mod still available? I may have an archived copy somewhere but no idea where to even begin looking.

I got the 19.2 version here: http://janesscsfleetcommand.freeforums.org/nwp-download-archives-t180.html (http://janesscsfleetcommand.freeforums.org/nwp-download-archives-t180.html)
Title: Re: 10th Avenue FRIDAY
Post by: Staggerwing on July 29, 2016, 07:15:14 PM
Quote from: WallysWorld on July 29, 2016, 06:01:34 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on July 29, 2016, 05:51:26 PM
Is the NWS mod still available? I may have an archived copy somewhere but no idea where to even begin looking.

I got the 19.2 version here: http://janesscsfleetcommand.freeforums.org/nwp-download-archives-t180.html (http://janesscsfleetcommand.freeforums.org/nwp-download-archives-t180.html)

Thanks! I thought NWS had done away with those mods (incl. the Fighting Steel one).
Title: Re: 10th Avenue FRIDAY
Post by: Hofstadter on July 29, 2016, 09:01:02 PM
Got permission to record an interesting game in the next few days. I dont know if i can say because of the NDA mjolnir hammer but its been an interest here
Title: Re: 10th Avenue FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on July 29, 2016, 10:37:19 PM
Before Civ VI...excellent. Without revealing too much do you think we here will be pleased?
Title: Re: 10th Avenue FRIDAY
Post by: Hofstadter on July 29, 2016, 11:39:03 PM
Quote from: Gusington on July 29, 2016, 10:37:19 PM
Before Civ VI...excellent. Without revealing too much do you think we here will be pleased?

Not sure, it updates on the day I make my video so we will see.
Title: Re: 10th Avenue FRIDAY
Post by: Rayfer on July 30, 2016, 07:03:12 AM
Quote from: Hofstadter on July 29, 2016, 11:39:03 PM
Quote from: Gusington on July 29, 2016, 10:37:19 PM
Before Civ VI...excellent. Without revealing too much do you think we here will be pleased?

Not sure, it updates on the day I make my video so we will see.

Stop the tease and bring it on!   ;)
Title: Re: 10th Avenue FRIDAY
Post by: Hofstadter on July 30, 2016, 09:36:55 AM
Alright on august first im releasing a showcase vid on oriental empires
Title: Re: 10th Avenue FRIDAY
Post by: IronX on July 30, 2016, 10:01:05 AM
Quote from: panzerde on July 29, 2016, 04:24:54 PM
I'm still very much on an 18th C. kick, so it'll be more Prussia's Glory/Prussia's Glory II boardgaming for me along with beginning to work through the Battles of the Age of Reason Primer with Fontenoy. Otherwise it's just returning outstanding PBEM turns on games, though most of my PBEM opponents seem to have decided it's summer and they should be outside or something.

I really enjoyed Grant's book on Fontenoy as a teenager. Gamed the battle on the tabletop a lot.
Title: Re: 10th Avenue FRIDAY
Post by: Tuna on July 30, 2016, 10:57:47 AM
World of Warships of course.. sale on Russian Hardware this weekend, so may try for a new Cruiser or Destroyer.

Fired up FSX Steam for the first time in my Win 10 machine.. took me awhile to get FSDT JFK v2 working, but once I did, all went smooth. Did a flight from KJFK to KBOS in my RealAir Turbine Duke.
Title: Re: 10th Avenue FRIDAY
Post by: panzerde on July 30, 2016, 11:14:20 AM
Quote from: IronX on July 30, 2016, 10:01:05 AM
I really enjoyed Grant's book on Fontenoy as a teenager. Gamed the battle on the tabletop a lot.


It's an interesting battle and I think a very interesting period. The BAR system seems like it'll be a very sophisticated simulation of 18th C command, albeit complex.


This is what I'm tackling with the Prussia's Glory system today: http://obscurebattles.blogspot.com/2014/11/kolin-1757.html


I'm even tempted to maybe do some video commentary...
Title: Re: 10th Avenue FRIDAY
Post by: Anguille on July 30, 2016, 11:36:41 AM
Quote from: Gusington on July 29, 2016, 10:37:19 PM
Before Civ VI...excellent. Without revealing too much do you think we here will be pleased?

Well, it's a 4x done by a team of guys who have a lot of experience doing them. The question is more whever people have enough interest in old China, chinese cultures and chinese factions.
Title: Re: 10th Avenue FRIDAY
Post by: Nefaro on July 30, 2016, 12:22:38 PM
Quote from: panzerde on July 30, 2016, 11:14:20 AM
Quote from: IronX on July 30, 2016, 10:01:05 AM
I really enjoyed Grant's book on Fontenoy as a teenager. Gamed the battle on the tabletop a lot.


It's an interesting battle and I think a very interesting period. The BAR system seems like it'll be a very sophisticated simulation of 18th C command, albeit complex.


This is what I'm tackling with the Prussia's Glory system today: http://obscurebattles.blogspot.com/2014/11/kolin-1757.html


I'm even tempted to maybe do some video commentary...


Nice!  O0
Title: Re: 10th Avenue FRIDAY
Post by: panzerde on July 30, 2016, 07:56:19 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on July 30, 2016, 12:22:38 PM
Quote from: panzerde on July 30, 2016, 11:14:20 AM

It's an interesting battle and I think a very interesting period. The BAR system seems like it'll be a very sophisticated simulation of 18th C command, albeit complex.


This is what I'm tackling with the Prussia's Glory system today: http://obscurebattles.blogspot.com/2014/11/kolin-1757.html (http://obscurebattles.blogspot.com/2014/11/kolin-1757.html)


I'm even tempted to maybe do some video commentary...


Nice!  O0


I've posted a couple of videos in the Tabletop AAR forum.
Title: Re: 10th Avenue FRIDAY
Post by: Boggit on July 30, 2016, 09:32:40 PM
Quote from: Anguille on July 29, 2016, 03:18:43 PM
Looks like that i am going to play mostly  the following games:

- Horizon
- Master of Orion IV
- Tropico III
- Oriental Empires

And we have one more turn I think of our FoG Carthaginians vs Romans bash, plus I've put up another for you. O0 ;D
Title: Re: 10th Avenue FRIDAY
Post by: Anguille on July 31, 2016, 12:29:51 AM
Quote from: Boggit on July 30, 2016, 09:32:40 PM
Quote from: Anguille on July 29, 2016, 03:18:43 PM
Looks like that i am going to play mostly  the following games:

- Horizon
- Master of Orion IV
- Tropico III
- Oriental Empires

And we have one more turn I think of our FoG Carthaginians vs Romans bash, plus I've put up another for you. O0 ;D
That's great!  O0
Title: Re: 10th Avenue FRIDAY
Post by: MengJiao on July 31, 2016, 09:36:34 AM
Quote from: panzerde on July 29, 2016, 04:24:54 PM
I'm still very much on an 18th C. kick, so it'll be more Prussia's Glory/Prussia's Glory II boardgaming for me along with beginning to work through the Battles of the Age of Reason Primer with Fontenoy. Otherwise it's just returning outstanding PBEM turns on games, though most of my PBEM opponents seem to have decided it's summer and they should be outside or something.

  All boardgames these days it seems.  Two weeks ago it was a week of Burning Blue and this week and next week looks like Wing leader.  after that maybe Hoplite, flying colors and Fontenoy eventually.
Title: Re: 10th Avenue FRIDAY
Post by: mirth on July 31, 2016, 09:58:40 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on July 31, 2016, 09:36:34 AM
  All boardgames these days it seems.  Two weeks ago it was a week of Burning Blue and this week and next week looks like Wing leader.  after that maybe Hoplite, flying colors and Fontenoy eventually.

Nice. Some good games there  O0
Title: Re: 10th Avenue FRIDAY
Post by: FarAway Sooner on July 31, 2016, 10:36:27 AM
In honor of the title thread, I'll get in a belated response.

I'll read reviews of 5 titles I really want to buy (but won't buy any), look at my Steam Library for 20 minutes, clicking on different titles and thinking about them, start up a game and get 5 minutes in before deciding I'm not really in the mood, and then get distracted by election articles I see on the web ("Hillary Runs over Puppy while Cackling Gleefully" or "Trump Ridicules Brain-Damaged, Quadraplegic, Learning-Disabled Army Veteran for Having a Lisp", etc.).  I'll then decide to go to bed instead.

I'm in a bit of a gaming funk these days.  I have a few titles I want to start and a few others I'd like to finish, but when it comes time to fire it up, I'm having a hard time with commitment!

???
Title: Re: 10th Avenue FRIDAY
Post by: panzerde on July 31, 2016, 11:38:49 AM
Quote from: FarAway Sooner on July 31, 2016, 10:36:27 AM
In honor of the title thread, I'll get in a belated response.

I'll read reviews of 5 titles I really want to buy (but won't buy any), look at my Steam Library for 20 minutes, clicking on different titles and thinking about them, start up a game and get 5 minutes in before deciding I'm not really in the mood, and then get distracted by election articles I see on the web ("Hillary Runs over Puppy while Cackling Gleefully" or "Trump Ridicules Brain-Damaged, Quadraplegic, Learning-Disabled Army Veteran for Having a Lisp", etc.).  I'll then decide to go to bed instead.

I'm in a bit of a gaming funk these days.  I have a few titles I want to start and a few others I'd like to finish, but when it comes time to fire it up, I'm having a hard time with commitment!

???


I've pretty much been that way for the past month or so. Maybe two months. Tough to get started on anything.
Title: Re: 10th Avenue FRIDAY
Post by: MengJiao on July 31, 2016, 12:53:03 PM
Quote from: mirth on July 31, 2016, 09:58:40 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on July 31, 2016, 09:36:34 AM
  All boardgames these days it seems.  Two weeks ago it was a week of Burning Blue and this week and next week looks like Wing leader.  after that maybe Hoplite, flying colors and Fontenoy eventually.

Nice. Some good games there  O0

All good!  But I'm back in the manloft for the weekend and it looks like APEX (ARMA III) is going to be the big thing!
Title: Re: 10th Avenue FRIDAY
Post by: W8taminute on July 31, 2016, 01:24:37 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on July 31, 2016, 12:53:03 PM
Quote from: mirth on July 31, 2016, 09:58:40 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on July 31, 2016, 09:36:34 AM
  All boardgames these days it seems.  Two weeks ago it was a week of Burning Blue and this week and next week looks like Wing leader.  after that maybe Hoplite, flying colors and Fontenoy eventually.

Nice. Some good games there  O0

All good!  But I'm back in the manloft for the weekend and it looks like APEX (ARMA III) is going to be the big thing!

Have you tried the BattleRoyale mod for ARMA III?
Title: Re: 10th Avenue FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on July 31, 2016, 04:03:05 PM
Yeah byotches.

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.akamai.steamusercontent.com%2Fugc%2F491275097985994722%2F836F42D0A08E9C6A1F2A189C3B0C08805A7F9F9F%2F&hash=daa6d9807232774707f8e5bb3025770941745b8e)
Title: Re: 10th Avenue FRIDAY
Post by: MetalDog on July 31, 2016, 10:16:01 PM
Congrats, Gus!  What did you win?
Title: Re: 10th Avenue FRIDAY
Post by: Sir Slash on July 31, 2016, 10:30:18 PM
Byotches? Is that Ethiopian for 'Grogheads'?
Title: Re: 10th Avenue FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on August 01, 2016, 07:13:32 AM
Yes, very exotic lexicon.

Haven't won the campaign yet but I united the three areas of my home faction in my current Attila TW campaign.
Title: Re: 10th Avenue FRIDAY
Post by: MengJiao on August 02, 2016, 08:14:20 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on July 31, 2016, 01:24:37 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on July 31, 2016, 12:53:03 PM
Quote from: mirth on July 31, 2016, 09:58:40 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on July 31, 2016, 09:36:34 AM
  All boardgames these days it seems.  Two weeks ago it was a week of Burning Blue and this week and next week looks like Wing leader.  after that maybe Hoplite, flying colors and Fontenoy eventually.

Nice. Some good games there  O0

All good!  But I'm back in the manloft for the weekend and it looks like APEX (ARMA III) is going to be the big thing!

Have you tried the BattleRoyale mod for ARMA III?

Nope.  I'm down in town with all my antique gear.  Ancient machine.  Tons of Boardgames.  When I was up in the mountains, up in the manloft with my latest stuff playing ARMAIII APEX -- what actually happened was my son (who is 2) sat on my lap worrying about the "driver man" we had dressed up and urging me to get him back to his car while my daughter (who is 6) read the
ARMA  map and did all our navigating around the island of Tanoa when she wasn't singing songs about poop.

So I haven't gotten very far into the latest ARMA III stuff.

But I do have internet access down in the ManApartment now.  See!
Title: Re: 10th Avenue FRIDAY
Post by: panzerde on August 02, 2016, 08:19:09 PM
There's a lot to be said for singing songs about poop.