GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Barthheart on June 06, 2012, 07:47:03 AM

Title: New Tactical Shooter on Kickstarter - Ground Branch
Post by: Barthheart on June 06, 2012, 07:47:03 AM
They have an impressive crew lined up to make this one....

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/670743543/ground-branch

Title: Re: New Tactical Shooter on Kickstarter - Ground Branch
Post by: Jarhead0331 on June 06, 2012, 09:16:35 AM
I would contribute the maximum amount to this in a heartbeat...however, I'm a bit miffed that delivery of the beta is not expected until August 2013!
Title: Re: New Tactical Shooter on Kickstarter - Ground Branch
Post by: bayonetbrant on June 06, 2012, 09:25:38 AM
lets of chatter about this at BoardGameGeek of all places

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/811819/for-fans-of-the-original-rainbow-six-and-ghost-rec
Title: Re: New Tactical Shooter on Kickstarter - Ground Branch
Post by: Keunert on June 06, 2012, 10:33:56 AM
10'000 bucks for a game??? does it come with a car?
Title: Re: New Tactical Shooter on Kickstarter - Ground Branch
Post by: jomni on June 06, 2012, 08:01:05 PM
Ground Branch is not new.  It's been in development for several YEARS already (since 2004 -- if it's the same time the group was formed).  They're hoping Kickstarter to sustain their development activities which have obviously stalled.
Title: Re: New Tactical Shooter on Kickstarter - Ground Branch
Post by: Jarhead0331 on June 06, 2012, 08:04:18 PM
Quote from: jomni on June 06, 2012, 08:01:05 PM
Ground Branch is not new.  It's been in development for several YEARS already (since 2004 -- if it's the same time the group was formed).  So why has it not seen the light of day before this?

He meant its new on kickstarter. I posted about Blackfoot Studios on WG years ago.
Title: Re: New Tactical Shooter on Kickstarter - Ground Branch
Post by: Jarhead0331 on August 10, 2018, 08:45:55 AM
So...ummm...yeah...

This has been in development for a REALLY long time, but it has recently picked up pace pretty dramatically. Steam EA release is imminent and the game has definitely made great strides. Still has a long way to go admittedly, but I'm encouraged by what I have seen over the past several builds.

If you loved Rainbow 6 and prefer more CQB oriented combat to larger open spaces, you'll definitely want to check this out.

Hop onto the new website and have a look.

http://www.groundbranch.com/ (http://www.groundbranch.com/)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/16900/ (https://store.steampowered.com/app/16900/)
Title: Re: New Tactical Shooter on Kickstarter - Ground Branch
Post by: Jarhead0331 on August 26, 2018, 08:38:31 PM
It is really coming together nicely. I think when (if) it is finished, it is finally going to be something that will appeal to the original Rainbow 6 crowd.

Operator loadout is very modular. You can place primary and secondary ammo, grenades/flashbangs and equipment on your rig.
(https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/40091142_10205119492383120_3434431840461520896_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=11c9e0a38e8af8e3fecafce5d71fc32a&oe=5C026D3D)

Weapons are very modular, as well. GB uses a nice picatinny rail attachment system.
(https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/40160639_10205119492183115_1804942448317693952_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=ef9d5e3b1e98641bf0e4b3561f6d2b70&oe=5C06FC31)

Nice selection of primary and secondary weapons...
(https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/40192142_10205119492023111_5488481670392709120_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=ed32271dfcaa89c031336e0c9fb97475&oe=5C399D12)

Some quick training in the kill house. Timed and randomized with tangos and hostages. Plenty of ranges with dynamic targets too.
(https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/40117388_10205119492823131_3278163015924449280_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=714fd983b865cc266d0751cdc13de135&oe=5C39E862)
Title: Re: New Tactical Shooter on Kickstarter - Ground Branch
Post by: Destraex on August 28, 2018, 04:58:01 AM
I have post scriptum
I am also over contributing to games with long development times.
Star citizen
Naval action
Post scriptum (short dev time but still a ways to go)
Call to arms
War of rights
Hold fast

Those are the ones I can remember
Title: Re: New Tactical Shooter on Kickstarter - Ground Branch
Post by: Jarhead0331 on December 18, 2021, 12:03:06 AM
Like Ready or Not, Ground Branch also recently received an important and substantial update that really improved the look and feel of the game. If you haven't picked this one up in awhile, now might be a good time to take another look.
Title: Re: New Tactical Shooter on Kickstarter - Ground Branch
Post by: Grim.Reaper on December 18, 2021, 05:57:50 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 18, 2021, 12:03:06 AM
Like Ready or Not, Ground Branch also recently received an important and substantial update that really improved the look and feel of the game. If you haven't picked this one up in awhile, now might be a good time to take another look.

Watching this too but was under impression no single player yet, is that incorrect?
Title: Re: New Tactical Shooter on Kickstarter - Ground Branch
Post by: kam9999 on December 18, 2021, 06:16:50 AM
I can confirm that there IS a single player mode in the game.
Title: Re: New Tactical Shooter on Kickstarter - Ground Branch
Post by: Grim.Reaper on December 18, 2021, 06:31:41 AM
Quote from: kam9999 on December 18, 2021, 06:16:50 AM
I can confirm that there IS a single player mode in the game.

And its available during the early access?  If so, can you provide details what exists?  Campaign?  Just single player missions and how many?  I had read somewhere that single player was planned but wasn't necessarily available yet so just trying to confirm.
Title: Re: New Tactical Shooter on Kickstarter - Ground Branch
Post by: Jarhead0331 on December 18, 2021, 08:15:16 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 18, 2021, 06:31:41 AM
Quote from: kam9999 on December 18, 2021, 06:16:50 AM
I can confirm that there IS a single player mode in the game.

And its available during the early access?  If so, can you provide details what exists?  Campaign?  Just single player missions and how many?  I had read somewhere that single player was planned but wasn't necessarily available yet so just trying to confirm.

There is no single player campaign yet. There are lone wolf missions and training compound areas (ie. killhouse, shooting range, etc.)
Title: Re: New Tactical Shooter on Kickstarter - Ground Branch
Post by: kam9999 on December 18, 2021, 09:01:10 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 18, 2021, 08:15:16 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 18, 2021, 06:31:41 AM
Quote from: kam9999 on December 18, 2021, 06:16:50 AM
I can confirm that there IS a single player mode in the game.

And its available during the early access?  If so, can you provide details what exists?  Campaign?  Just single player missions and how many?  I had read somewhere that single player was planned but wasn't necessarily available yet so just trying to confirm.

There is no single player campaign yet. There are lone wolf missions and training compound areas (ie. killhouse, shooting range, etc.)

There are currently two different versions of the game, both in early access. The main version has about half a dozen maps that can be played lone wolf. Enemies are spawned with a degree of randomisation to quantity and location. There is also a small degree of map variation. It is very good, much like an updated version of the early Ghost Recon.

The second version is a testing build for a major upgrade that is due soon. I haven't played it yet. It offers upgraded graphics and even more maps. However there are known bugs at the moment.

If you buy the game on Steam you get access to both versions. There is a lot more information on the Steam home page.
Title: Re: New Tactical Shooter on Kickstarter - Ground Branch
Post by: Grim.Reaper on December 18, 2021, 09:21:55 AM
Quote from: kam9999 on December 18, 2021, 09:01:10 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 18, 2021, 08:15:16 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 18, 2021, 06:31:41 AM
Quote from: kam9999 on December 18, 2021, 06:16:50 AM
I can confirm that there IS a single player mode in the game.

And its available during the early access?  If so, can you provide details what exists?  Campaign?  Just single player missions and how many?  I had read somewhere that single player was planned but wasn't necessarily available yet so just trying to confirm.

There is no single player campaign yet. There are lone wolf missions and training compound areas (ie. killhouse, shooting range, etc.)

There are currently two different versions of the game, both in early access. The main version has about half a dozen maps that can be played lone wolf. Enemies are spawned with a degree of randomisation to quantity and location. There is also a small degree of map variation. It is very good, much like an updated version of the early Ghost Recon.

The second version is a testing build for a major upgrade that is due soon. I haven't played it yet. It offers upgraded graphics and even more maps. However there are known bugs at the moment.

If you buy the game on Steam you get access to both versions. There is a lot more information on the Steam home page.

Thanks
Title: Re: New Tactical Shooter on Kickstarter - Ground Branch
Post by: Grim.Reaper on December 18, 2021, 09:22:55 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 18, 2021, 08:15:16 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 18, 2021, 06:31:41 AM
Quote from: kam9999 on December 18, 2021, 06:16:50 AM
I can confirm that there IS a single player mode in the game.

And its available during the early access?  If so, can you provide details what exists?  Campaign?  Just single player missions and how many?  I had read somewhere that single player was planned but wasn't necessarily available yet so just trying to confirm.

There is no single player campaign yet. There are lone wolf missions and training compound areas (ie. killhouse, shooting range, etc.)

Thanks, just curious if you have opinion which is better right now for single player, this or Ready or Not.  Have to admit Ready or Not checks a lot of boxes for me since I enjoyed Swat back in the day
Title: Re: New Tactical Shooter on Kickstarter - Ground Branch
Post by: Jarhead0331 on December 18, 2021, 10:06:56 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 18, 2021, 09:22:55 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 18, 2021, 08:15:16 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 18, 2021, 06:31:41 AM
Quote from: kam9999 on December 18, 2021, 06:16:50 AM
I can confirm that there IS a single player mode in the game.

And its available during the early access?  If so, can you provide details what exists?  Campaign?  Just single player missions and how many?  I had read somewhere that single player was planned but wasn't necessarily available yet so just trying to confirm.

There is no single player campaign yet. There are lone wolf missions and training compound areas (ie. killhouse, shooting range, etc.)

Thanks, just curious if you have opinion which is better right now for single player, this or Ready or Not.  Have to admit Ready or Not checks a lot of boxes for me since I enjoyed Swat back in the day

Ready or Not. It has squad AI and you can run solo missions with a team and nice command system.
Title: Re: New Tactical Shooter on Kickstarter - Ground Branch
Post by: Grim.Reaper on December 18, 2021, 10:37:33 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 18, 2021, 10:06:56 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 18, 2021, 09:22:55 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 18, 2021, 08:15:16 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 18, 2021, 06:31:41 AM
Quote from: kam9999 on December 18, 2021, 06:16:50 AM
I can confirm that there IS a single player mode in the game.

And its available during the early access?  If so, can you provide details what exists?  Campaign?  Just single player missions and how many?  I had read somewhere that single player was planned but wasn't necessarily available yet so just trying to confirm.

There is no single player campaign yet. There are lone wolf missions and training compound areas (ie. killhouse, shooting range, etc.)

Thanks, just curious if you have opinion which is better right now for single player, this or Ready or Not.  Have to admit Ready or Not checks a lot of boxes for me since I enjoyed Swat back in the day

Ready or Not. It has squad AI and you can run solo missions with a team and nice command system.

Thanks again, looks like another holiday purchase coming:)
Title: Re: New Tactical Shooter on Kickstarter - Ground Branch
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on July 07, 2022, 01:35:09 PM
I've been jumping back and forth between this and Ready Or Not recently.  It's come along quite nicely but at a very leisurely pace.  I do really enjoy the gunplay in this one but I find Ready Or Not to be more polished, especially for single player.

Anyone still playing this one?  I joined in a few sessions with some guys from GLID (all players are current or former military or law enforcement.  It was fun but some of those dudes can be a bit over the top for me). 
Title: Re: New Tactical Shooter on Kickstarter - Ground Branch
Post by: al_infierno on July 07, 2022, 03:18:24 PM
I assume the "especially for single player" comment means they haven't done a lot of work on the AI?  I dipped my toes in this but none of my friends own it, so I spent about half an hour popping bots, wasn't impressed, and never touched it again - though like you said, the guns felt great.
Title: Re: New Tactical Shooter on Kickstarter - Ground Branch
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on July 07, 2022, 03:29:47 PM
The AI is a bit suspect.  They do a pretty good job of chasing you down once they detect you, but sometimes once they spot you, they just kinda lock up and stand there, daring you to try something.  Then you plug 'em.
Title: Re: New Tactical Shooter on Kickstarter - Ground Branch
Post by: al_infierno on July 08, 2022, 04:43:29 PM
Alright, I'm giving this one another chance and I have to say I'm pretty sold on it.  I like the slower pace and more milsim feel compared to Ready or Not.  The maps are also quite a bit more open and let you really sneak around and come up with creative plans.  Also gotta love a game that gives me proper binocs to scope out the countryside and plan my attack.   :smitten:

Sneaking around and then taking a near-miss really gives you that feeling of FIBSA and butt puckering!
Title: Re: New Tactical Shooter on Kickstarter - Ground Branch
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on July 08, 2022, 05:05:59 PM
I really like all the AI options you can control from the advanced AI settings.  Just wish there were settings that could make me suck less.
Title: Re: New Tactical Shooter on Kickstarter - Ground Branch
Post by: al_infierno on July 08, 2022, 07:35:37 PM
One way I'm really enjoying playing this is basically in Die Hard mode.  Nothing but civie clothes, a basic vest or belt, and a sidearm (preferably an M9 for proper Die Hardness  :bd:).  Jump into a small map with 8-12 baddies and use your wits and scavenged AKs and shotguns to survive.  Pretty dang challenging, but fun nonetheless!  I just picked up my first win in this mode, hunting down the last dude was extremely tense.
Title: Re: New Tactical Shooter on Kickstarter - Ground Branch
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on July 08, 2022, 07:52:28 PM
Did you drop him off a skyscraper?
Title: Re: New Tactical Shooter on Kickstarter - Ground Branch
Post by: al_infierno on July 08, 2022, 07:54:51 PM
Heh, now I want a skyscraper level where you can launch yourself off the roof while screaming "GAAAAAAAAAAAAAH" into your mic, deafening all your friends  :-"
Title: Re: New Tactical Shooter on Kickstarter - Ground Branch
Post by: Jarhead0331 on May 09, 2025, 02:15:12 PM
Been a long time since we talked about this one. The last few updates have added a lot of important content and systems, as well as polish. The enemy and team AI have improved a lot and there is now some solid single player content. It's definitely a good time to jump back in and check out all the improvements and advancements.

Title: Re: New Tactical Shooter on Kickstarter - Ground Branch
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on May 11, 2025, 04:50:03 PM
I reinstalled the game, updated to the latest version, and gave it a whirl.

There's something really wrong with the AI.  If you set it to easy mode, they just kinda stand there and wait to be shot 90% of the time.  If they do shoot back, they can't hit anything past very close range.  Sometimes they'll try to deploy smoke grenades but I think they watched too many ninja movies from the 80s because they just toss the grenades right at their own feet.

If you set the AI difficulty any higher than easy (not actually called easy in game, but it's the lowest setting), they turn into terminator bots.  They can see through all forms of concealment, turn faster that you're able to, and will drill you with a one-shot kill at any range, regardless of the calibre of their firearm or the amount of intervening cover and armour you're wearing.

Fun to fiddle around with, but it's still a long way from done.  I uninstalled it again for now. 
Title: Re: New Tactical Shooter on Kickstarter - Ground Branch
Post by: Jarhead0331 on May 12, 2025, 12:00:58 PM
Just bear in mind that V1035 is literally first iteration of the team AI. It will certainly improve.
Title: Re: New Tactical Shooter on Kickstarter - Ground Branch
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on May 12, 2025, 05:35:39 PM
I was talking about the enemy AI.  The team AI thing was pretty weird, too.  My friend and I played online co-op against the AI.  If you add a co-op player in, you can't use friendly AI to pad out the rest of your team.  TBH, that's fine as the friendly AI seem to be there for emotional support and an impediment to your freedom of movement and that's it.  the one mission I tried with them, they just sort of rubber-banded and followed me around til the shooting started. Then two just kind of stood around and gawped "Hey, are them fellas shooting over there?  Lemme get a better look!" and then tried rubbing up against my back, preventing me from backing out of the line of fire.  The other looked like a kid who'd just won a game of Fortnite and was spamming his emote buttons to try out all the dance moves he'd unlocked.