GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Double Deuce on August 20, 2016, 05:06:49 AM

Title: Battle Brothers
Post by: Double Deuce on August 20, 2016, 05:06:49 AM
I know this game has been mentioned before but its been a pretty long time. Does anyone have it/still play it? It's open access and still being developed and I have been thinking about getting it. Seems a fun little game with a lot of potential.

Title: Re: Battle Brothers
Post by: Jarhead0331 on August 20, 2016, 07:11:58 AM
I have it and play from time to time. The combat is very enjoyable and you can become quite attached to the members of your company. However, I still find the world pretty empty, and unless i am playing it wrong, I have trouble finding much to do, and making money is very difficult.  I usually end up roaming he map aimlessly, finally finding a town and having to choose between one or two contracts and more often than not, I'll take heavy losses and not make enough money recover, so game is pretty much over.

Still, lots of potential here.
Title: Re: Battle Brothers
Post by: Nefaro on August 20, 2016, 10:54:07 AM
It's a good game, but still deep in Early Access.

They've been regularly adding new content & features.  So it's practically still in a late Alpha stage, or early Beta at best.  Which is why I've not played it much and don't plan to until it's finished.

I check on it somewhat regularly.  Looks like they've been working on adding to the world/enemies and overhauling core stuff like the damage system in recent months.

Title: Re: Battle Brothers
Post by: glen55 on August 20, 2016, 11:22:35 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 20, 2016, 07:11:58 AM
I have it and play from time to time. The combat is very enjoyable and you can become quite attached to the members of your company. However, I still find the world pretty empty, and unless i am playing it wrong, I have trouble finding much to do, and making money is very difficult.  I usually end up roaming he map aimlessly, finally finding a town and having to choose between one or two contracts and more often than not, I'll take heavy losses and not make enough money recover, so game is pretty much over.

Still, lots of potential here.

Describes my experience to a tee, except I'll also throw this in: goblins are overpowered. I love the game, but the world needs work, the play balance needs work. It seems that patches are infrequent, but they do come.

I actually haven't played it in a while, but I do check the patch log periodically.  Great potential.
Title: Re: Battle Brothers
Post by: Double Deuce on August 20, 2016, 03:05:53 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, the tactical stuff looks pretty good but the videos I watched seem like the world itself and backstory is still really underdeveloped. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it.
Title: Re: Battle Brothers
Post by: DennisS on August 21, 2016, 07:24:23 PM
I stopped playing this. It's just too difficult. One bad battle, and they are many, and you're done. Restart from scratch.
Title: Re: Battle Brothers
Post by: W8taminute on August 21, 2016, 08:01:55 PM
My experiences with this game have been similar.  At first making money and getting gear for your battle brothers is fairly easy.  Later in the game the difficulty in getting money and surviving battles increases explosively.  I've restarted quite a few times and have shelved this game for now as a result.  I think it's still in development so we'll see but I have a feeling the money I invested in this game was wasted. 
Title: Re: Battle Brothers
Post by: Double Deuce on August 27, 2016, 02:08:15 PM
Looks like they just released a pretty substantial update (it's a Beta at the moment though).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This update started out with two major goals: reworking the perk system and introducing more complex injury mechanics. Both are included in this update, and while we were at it, we've also included lots of other changes and additions. Here's the shortlist of features.
Update released to Beta Branch! (http://battlebrothersgame.com/update-released-beta-branch/)
Title: Re: Battle Brothers
Post by: Steelgrave on August 27, 2016, 02:14:35 PM
Awesome! I picked the game back up recently and have been enjoying it, but the update should make it much more playable, especially the addition of some rare items and the reworking of the perk system. I think I'll take my Sons of Anarchy band back into the field!

Title: Re: Battle Brothers
Post by: DennisS on August 27, 2016, 10:53:55 PM
Quote from: Steelgrave on August 27, 2016, 02:14:35 PM
Awesome! I picked the game back up recently and have been enjoying it, but the update should make it much more playable, especially the addition of some rare items and the reworking of the perk system. I think I'll take my Sons of Anarchy band back into the field!

Let us all know if they balanced the difficulty into something more reasonable.
Title: Re: Battle Brothers
Post by: glen55 on August 27, 2016, 11:01:45 PM
Quote from: DennisS on August 27, 2016, 10:53:55 PM
Quote from: Steelgrave on August 27, 2016, 02:14:35 PM
Awesome! I picked the game back up recently and have been enjoying it, but the update should make it much more playable, especially the addition of some rare items and the reworking of the perk system. I think I'll take my Sons of Anarchy band back into the field!

Let us all know if they balanced the difficulty into something more reasonable.

Exactly. Especially the goblins. I know very difficult games are some people's cup of tea, but why not have a difficulty slider? We're not all into pain.
Title: Re: Battle Brothers
Post by: Steelgrave on August 27, 2016, 11:10:27 PM
Honestly, I've had no trouble playing at the normal difficulty and I doubt that I'm more than a casual player with 75 hours logged. I'm not afraid to turn down the more difficult missions until my company starts to get their feet under them. After all, the game is not on rails, you can pick and choose your missions. And frankly, if I miscalculate a mission and get wiped, well....that's why there are saves.   ^-^

It's worth mentioning that some standard tactics, such as forming a shield wall with your archers standing behind on higher ground, can turn a battle against a strong opponent. There is also a forum and wiki that discuss certain builds, such as creating effective captains and sergeants to hold your company together. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's the most amazing game I've ever played, but it's entertaining enough I feel I'm getting my money's worth.
Title: Re: Battle Brothers
Post by: Jarhead0331 on August 28, 2016, 10:07:13 AM
Quote from: Steelgrave on August 27, 2016, 11:10:27 PM
Honestly, I've had no trouble playing at the normal difficulty and I doubt that I'm more than a casual player with 75 hours logged. I'm not afraid to turn down the more difficult missions until my company starts to get their feet under them. After all, the game is not on rails, you can pick and choose your missions. And frankly, if I miscalculate a mission and get wiped, well....that's why there are saves.   ^-^

It's worth mentioning that some standard tactics, such as forming a shield wall with your archers standing behind on higher ground, can turn a battle against a strong opponent. There is also a forum and wiki that discuss certain builds, such as creating effective captains and sergeants to hold your company together. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's the most amazing game I've ever played, but it's entertaining enough I feel I'm getting my money's worth.

But how are you actually making enough money to upgrade your equipment, maintain your force, replace loses, recruit new troops, etc. when I stroll into town, I'm lucky if there are two contracts to choose from, each one usually nets only a few hundred coins which is hardly enough to compensate my company for its costs in moving around and fighting to fulfill the contract. I just don't see how it's possible at this point.
Title: Re: Battle Brothers
Post by: ludi1867 on August 28, 2016, 01:20:34 PM
Hi Jarhead

   Longtime lurker here.  I have been playing Battle Brothers for about 50 or 60 hours.  I find that there is enough money (barely) to upgrade equipment, etc.  My current campaign is almost 100 days long, and I had one (with a previous upgrade) that was just over 100 days long.  I am finding Battle Brothers much like others have reported - a good (but not great) game.
Title: Re: Battle Brothers
Post by: Steelgrave on August 28, 2016, 05:23:30 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 28, 2016, 10:07:13 AM
But how are you actually making enough money to upgrade your equipment, maintain your force, replace loses, recruit new troops, etc. when I stroll into town, I'm lucky if there are two contracts to choose from, each one usually nets only a few hundred coins which is hardly enough to compensate my company for its costs in moving around and fighting to fulfill the contract. I just don't see how it's possible at this point.

I think the game is easily the most difficult and frustrating in the beginning stages. It only takes a few mishaps or bad fortune before you are considering a travelling minstrel show career instead of being a sell-sword company. I really haven't stumbled onto any killer strategy, I just kept slugging away until I had a competent core group and was starting to recruit a few ringers here and there and take on tougher contracts. Like any start up, my margins were thin in the beginning, with my rag-tag group scrounging battlefields for better weapons and armor and selling everything I didn't have an immediate need for in order to survive. Like Ludi1867, about a hundred days in the Sons grew a bit more bad-ass and I could spend a few coins on wardogs to chase down runners and do more than window-shop the better armor found in town. The Sons were starting to live large and even buy a few rounds in the ale-houses!

With the new patch, I created a new company and put a few hours in yesterday. My results? Early on, I lost a third of my men to either death or serious wounds after a particularly difficult battle, I headed to a decent sized town to lick my wounds and take on a new contract...and the only contract available was the equivalent of working at McDonalds, far too little for my needs. The last I saw of my group, they were heading down the dusty roads hoping to make another town before the food ran out.....

There are definite play balance and risk/reward challenges issues with Battle Brothers, most especially in the earlier phases of the game. I think when it's complete, it could be a gem if the balance issues are fixed. As it stands, I'm looking at it as almost more of a beer and pretzels kind of game....light entertainment covering a genre' that isn't over-saturated with competing games.
Title: Re: Battle Brothers
Post by: bobarossa on September 22, 2017, 06:55:28 PM
This is on sale at Gog for 1/3 off ($19.49).  Looks interesting.  Anyone played it lately?  Is it less difficult that it used to be?  What say you?
Title: Re: Battle Brothers
Post by: glen55 on September 23, 2017, 10:50:40 AM
And did they ever nerf goblins at all?
Title: Re: Battle Brothers
Post by: Nefaro on September 23, 2017, 12:27:13 PM
I started a new campaign, and a couple battles, within the past few months.  But not enough to get a good picture of the balance or the long game.

Haven't revisited due to Warships in the evenings & other single-player games yet to be done.
Title: Re: Battle Brothers
Post by: ludi1867 on September 23, 2017, 04:25:28 PM
Hi

   I have put far more time than I think is worthwhile with this game (approx 1000 hours).  The new campaign gets progressively harder, and after 100 days you are fortunate if you are able to complete a three star mission.  There IS an end game (sort of) in the final version.  I have defeated the greenskin invasion a couple of times, and it does allow you to retire after you "win"  BUT it is clearly not the main point of the game.  The main point is simply fighting.  I usually can survive well enough (until about 100 days) but doing well is hard.  It might be worth the discounted price but it might not.....
Title: Re: Battle Brothers
Post by: glen55 on September 25, 2017, 02:34:33 PM
Quote from: ludi1867 on September 23, 2017, 04:25:28 PM
Hi

   I have put far more time than I think is worthwhile with this game (approx 1000 hours).  The new campaign gets progressively harder, and after 100 days you are fortunate if you are able to complete a three star mission.  There IS an end game (sort of) in the final version.  I have defeated the greenskin invasion a couple of times, and it does allow you to retire after you "win"  BUT it is clearly not the main point of the game.  The main point is simply fighting.  I usually can survive well enough (until about 100 days) but doing well is hard.  It might be worth the discounted price but it might not.....

A potentially great game screwed simply because of difficulty, which one would think would be super-easy to fix.
Title: Re: Battle Brothers
Post by: Moreb on September 25, 2017, 05:26:44 PM
I thought it was too repetitive and lacked any real meaningful depth. The maps were samesy and the lack of magic made the simplistic battles rather boring in short order.
Title: Re: Battle Brothers
Post by: bobarossa on September 25, 2017, 05:36:15 PM
Sounds like I'll wait until it's under $10.
Title: Re: Battle Brothers
Post by: spelk on October 23, 2017, 02:57:20 PM
Steam has it 50% off
http://store.steampowered.com/news/33621/
Title: Re: Battle Brothers
Post by: Greybriar on December 19, 2017, 10:19:23 PM
I missed the 50% offer on Steam. :(

Battle Brothers is 35% off at GOG (https://www.gog.com/game/battle_brothers) right now, or $19.49 U.S.

It's hell being bored and not interested in playing any of the games in my backlog right now. :-\
Title: Re: Battle Brothers
Post by: Nefaro on December 19, 2017, 11:56:14 PM
Quote from: Greybriar on December 19, 2017, 10:19:23 PM

It's hell being bored and not interested in playing any of the games in my backlog right now. :-\

Been going through the same gaming apathy lately.  Fire something up & then quit 5 minutes later, rinse-repeat.

Keep looking at new ones, thinking the next one might break the slump, but I know that won't do it no matter how good it is.  Need to switch modes, but not sure if I'm in a tabletop or minis mode either.   :uglystupid2:  Drinking heavily, perhaps?  :cowboy:
Title: Re: Battle Brothers
Post by: Greybriar on December 20, 2017, 01:35:51 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on December 19, 2017, 11:56:14 PM
Quote from: Greybriar on December 19, 2017, 10:19:23 PM

It's hell being bored and not interested in playing any of the games in my backlog right now. :-\

Been going through the same gaming apathy lately.  Fire something up & then quit 5 minutes later, rinse-repeat.

Keep looking at new ones, thinking the next one might break the slump, but I know that won't do it no matter how good it is.  Need to switch modes, but not sure if I'm in a tabletop or minis mode either.   :uglystupid2:  Drinking heavily, perhaps?  :cowboy:

Exactly the same here but I am not drinking at all, although it might be enough to drive some of us to drink.

I've been watching movies and reading, but that hasn't filled the void the absence of PC games has left. I could fire up some retro games on one of my old computers like the original Railroad Tycoon (http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/sid-meiers-railroad-tycoon), Ascendancy (http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/ascendancy), Conquered Kingdoms (http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/conquered-kingdoms), etc. Or perhaps some other pre-Windows DOS games from my early computer gaming years. At least they are already paid for and were my favorites once. Yes, I think that would be the smartest thing to do--first thing tomorrow.