GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: JudgeDredd on August 26, 2016, 12:30:31 AM

Title: FRI...DAY
Post by: JudgeDredd on August 26, 2016, 12:30:31 AM
Sorry for the poor title fit - but the song is actually just called Eighth Day!

Loved this film (Breaking Glass). Acting was poor, but story was quite raw. Turn the volume up.



Well, I don't know what to do....start my Starship Enterprise model, get into the Band of Brothers board games Bob gave me or play computer games!

I think ultimately it will be plenty of F1 2016. I'm playing a full career mode so there's 3 practice sessions, full qualifying and 100% race...that should use up a lot of the time! I really like the practice and development aspects of the game...it gives practice a meaning as opposed to just learning the track.

I will also read up on the rules on the Band of Brothers Ghost Panzers board game and see if I can fit the tutorial mission in on Monday (long weekend here in the UK).

Enjoy your gaming.
Title: Re: FRI...DAY
Post by: tgb on August 26, 2016, 01:33:13 AM
MOO (the new one)
Skyboats
Faeria
Sengoku Jidai
Title: Re: FRI...DAY
Post by: Anguille on August 26, 2016, 02:30:23 AM
I actually wanted to finally start playing Stellaris but i prefer to wait until the patch is released (as it seems to be a fairly important one).

Now that New MOO has received a new patch, i will play that. Also the following games:

- Sengoku Jidai
- Armada 2526
- Tropico 3
Title: Re: FRI...DAY
Post by: undercovergeek on August 26, 2016, 02:41:41 AM
Between work and family engagements I'll try and squeeze in some more total warhammer. I'm the major powerhouse on the east of the map, I've come across two more small dwarf clans in the north who have been ravaged by orcs or vampires. The border princes are getting cheeky and the empire has cancelled it's non aggression pact with me - I'm at a stage where I need to do some internal mopping up before deciding where to expand. I have 2 unhappy provinces that keep spawning rebellions because I don't own all the territories - the problem is they're held by dwarves so there may be a civil war first

I was worried about the vampires until a 2000 strong army attacked me - I lost 150, crumbled all the army and wounded manfred himself - puny vampires
Title: Re: FRI...DAY
Post by: jamus34 on August 26, 2016, 05:10:05 AM
No clue, I'm somewhat in a gaming rut. Might try to continue my Dishonored & Duex Ex campaigns as both of those games have sequels that either just hit or coming soon.

Might try to learn DC Case Blue, GT operation star or WitP AE again but unsure if I'll have the patience
Title: Re: FRI...DAY
Post by: Toonces on August 26, 2016, 06:55:49 AM
I have been rediscovering Mount and Blade.  I bought the Viking expansion a while back and have just started to enjoy it- it's quite immersive.  I've also rediscovered the simple joy of multiplayer skirmishes in Viking, Warband, and even Napoleon (which is just stupidly fun). 

I'm also in the home stretch of Shelby Foote's excellent Civil War trilogy, so I feel inspired to fire up Scourge of War: Gettysburg for some Civil War action.

I have an unprecedented pants free weekend coming up with the family out of town, so if I don't get completely shit faced on pr0n and scotch, should be some good gaming to look forward to tonight!   ^-^
Title: Re: FRI...DAY
Post by: Barthheart on August 26, 2016, 07:01:49 AM
New stuff out for CKII so might have to fire that up... it's been a while... O0

Maybe some Polaris Sector.

Some VASSAL work.

Maybe some Old School Tactical boardgaming.

Gotta do some body work on my wife's car before it devolves completely.

Yard work as always.
Title: Re: FRI...DAY
Post by: BanzaiCat on August 26, 2016, 07:21:24 AM
I had a bunch of Amazon credit and a few bux from my bday (mostly Amazon credit fortunately), so I went a little nuts in the board game department. I'm expecting, to arrive by tomorrow:

Police Precinct (2nd Edition)
Flash Point (plus four expansions)
Star Trek: Expeditions
Star Trek: Panic!

...and Sunday's going to be a busy day, with an audition, GrogCast Season 4 start-up, and board gaming.
Title: Re: FRI...DAY
Post by: Dammit Carl! on August 26, 2016, 07:41:06 AM
I wish I had Shelby Foote's accent; I'd have gone to Europe (or up north - yankee girls are the best) and scored much tail.

Anyhoo, got yardwork as always and after putting a new pickguard on the bass, time to crank back up on the Rocksmith 2014.

Title: Re: FRI...DAY
Post by: jamus34 on August 26, 2016, 08:14:30 AM
Quote from: Dammit Carl! on August 26, 2016, 07:41:06 AM
I wish I had Shelby Foote's accent; I'd have gone to Europe (or up north - yankee girls are the best) and scored much tail.

Anyhoo, got yardwork as always and after putting a new pickguard on the bass, time to crank back up on the Rocksmith 2014.

Learning to play bass is one of my long term dreams/goals.
Title: Re: FRI...DAY
Post by: airboy on August 26, 2016, 08:21:39 AM
Order of Battle: US Marines.

Hosting poker on Saturday.

Playing my pinball machine.
Title: Re: FRI...DAY
Post by: Dammit Carl! on August 26, 2016, 08:26:33 AM
Quote from: jamus34 on August 26, 2016, 08:14:30 AM
Learning to play bass is one of my long term dreams/goals.

I played when younger and put it away for damn near a decade and change (life, kids, deployments,ptsd - the usual reasons).  It's been fun re-learning things and I'll say that the Rocksmith program is a pretty damn good way to do it (learning to play, that is).  It is honestly never to late to start, so buck up, hit Craigslist and get yourself a bass today!

Oh, and if you do get Rocksmith, head over to the Customs Forge site to then be able to download a veritable shit-ton of additional music - got all of my Kings of Leon from there as well as others for example.

Chicks dig bass players as we've got exceptional rhythm.  ^-^
Title: Re: FRI...DAY
Post by: Jarhead0331 on August 26, 2016, 08:38:58 AM
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and Star Citizen with the newly released 2.5 update!
Title: Re: FRI...DAY
Post by: Jarhead0331 on August 26, 2016, 08:40:02 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 26, 2016, 12:30:31 AM
Sorry for the poor title fit - but the song is actually just called Eighth Day!

Loved this film (Breaking Glass). Acting was poor, but story was quite raw. Turn the volume up.




This is why I start Friday threads on Thursday.  :2funny:
Title: Re: FRI...DAY
Post by: Rayfer on August 26, 2016, 08:52:28 AM
JD...I enjoy your posts, especially in the "Share your Videos" thread...but your music choice for today had me muting the sound. Not my cup of tea.  Empyrion: Galactic Survival still has my attention. A tough but fun crafting/survival game.
Title: Re: FRI...DAY
Post by: Toonces on August 26, 2016, 09:01:24 AM
Shocking lack of No Man's Sky in this thread.

Just sayin'.
Title: Re: FRI...DAY
Post by: Jarhead0331 on August 26, 2016, 09:14:06 AM
Quote from: Toonces on August 26, 2016, 09:01:24 AM
Shocking lack of No Man's Sky in this thread.

Just sayin'.

I was going to add that MAYBE, I'll play a little NMS, but it will be lucky if I do.
Title: Re: FRI...DAY
Post by: JudgeDredd on August 26, 2016, 09:20:02 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 26, 2016, 08:40:02 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 26, 2016, 12:30:31 AM
Sorry for the poor title fit - but the song is actually just called Eighth Day!

Loved this film (Breaking Glass). Acting was poor, but story was quite raw. Turn the volume up.




This is why I start Friday threads on Thursday.  :2funny:
Well - musical taste does vary greatly around the world.
Title: Re: FRI...DAY
Post by: JudgeDredd on August 26, 2016, 09:20:39 AM
Quote from: Rayfer on August 26, 2016, 08:52:28 AM
JD...I enjoy your posts, especially in the "Share your Videos" thread...but your music choice for today had me muting the sound. Not my cup of tea.  Empyrion: Galactic Survival still has my attention. A tough but fun crafting/survival game.
In the words I commonly use on my wife and kids - "It's a classic"  :smitten:
Title: Re: FRI...DAY
Post by: Pete Dero on August 26, 2016, 09:35:31 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 26, 2016, 09:20:02 AM
Well - musical taste does vary greatly around the world.

I kinda like it but I grew up listening to new wave & punk (and often I still do).

Reminded me of :

Title: Re: FRI...DAY
Post by: Tuna on August 26, 2016, 10:00:54 AM
Quote from: jamus34 on August 26, 2016, 08:14:30 AM
Quote from: Dammit Carl! on August 26, 2016, 07:41:06 AM
I wish I had Shelby Foote's accent; I'd have gone to Europe (or up north - yankee girls are the best) and scored much tail.

Anyhoo, got yardwork as always and after putting a new pickguard on the bass, time to crank back up on the Rocksmith 2014.

Learning to play bass is one of my long term dreams/goals.

Rough on the fingers!!! ;-)
Title: Re: FRI...DAY
Post by: Tuna on August 26, 2016, 10:03:07 AM
Every day is Friday for me  ;D, for now.. Will definitely be doing more World of Warships, grinding up the Battleship line (most fun I've had in BB's so far).

Tried Xenonauts on my son's laptop (bought a long time ago at Gog) and found it very addictive, so will probably do some more of that.

Also continue my Alea Jacta Est game as Caesar during the Civil War against Pompey.
Title: Re: FRI...DAY
Post by: JudgeDredd on August 26, 2016, 10:38:42 AM
Quote from: Pete Dero on August 26, 2016, 09:35:31 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 26, 2016, 09:20:02 AM
Well - musical taste does vary greatly around the world.

I kinda like it but I grew up listening to new wave & punk (and often I still do).

Reminded me of :


LOVE Spellbound and Siouxsie
Title: Re: FRI...DAY
Post by: CJReich46 on August 26, 2016, 10:50:10 AM
Well...aside from working this weekend, as I do,

Distant Worlds Universe

Crusader Kings II- since the Reaper DLC came to town and the patch I decided to fire up a few games, and tried out my Charlemagne DLC. I like the ability to customize the rules.
Maybe (?) Stellaris. I would like to see how that is improving.


Title: Re: FRI...DAY
Post by: JasonPratt on August 26, 2016, 11:52:23 AM
Very likely to help break in the new Groghead server restart for 7 Days to Die.

...um, not sure what else. Do I own Germany at War: Barbarossa? May check on that. I've been messing with the recent Shandalar campaign build for MTG; will probably continue there.
Title: Re: FRI...DAY
Post by: mikeck on August 26, 2016, 03:29:16 PM
Finishing up a Polaris sector game
Getting a fighter fix with DCS Flaming Cliffs 3..
And of course, Naval Action.
Title: Re: FRI...DAY
Post by: WallysWorld on August 26, 2016, 04:02:25 PM
Have to work some overtime this weekend, but otherwise:

CMSF Canadian campaign.
Rise of Flight: starting a career.
IL2 1946: continuing the excellent user made "Luftwaffe Pilot: Legion Kondor!" campaign.
Title: Re: FRI...DAY
Post by: Toonces on August 26, 2016, 04:44:34 PM
Added Of Kings and Men to my library just now, so that's going into the queue for tonight.
Title: Re: FRI...DAY
Post by: Gusington on August 26, 2016, 05:14:12 PM
Siouxsie & and the Banshees rock!!

I will be dabbling a bit in Ryse: Son of Rome and girding my loins for the release of The Witcher 3 GOTY edition on 8/30.
Title: Re: FRI...DAY
Post by: jamus34 on August 26, 2016, 07:58:26 PM
Oh you Brits...

And now for something totally different.

Title: Re: FRI...DAY
Post by: MetalDog on August 26, 2016, 09:29:40 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 26, 2016, 08:40:02 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 26, 2016, 12:30:31 AM
Sorry for the poor title fit - but the song is actually just called Eighth Day!

Loved this film (Breaking Glass). Acting was poor, but story was quite raw. Turn the volume up.




This is why I start Friday threads on Thursday.  :2funny:


Oh, Jarhead, you crazy kid, it's ALL just rock-n-roll and I LIKE it!!!

Always wanted to get Rocksmith for Guitar.  I hope to feel motivated one day to devote the time required to learn to play.  For now, I'll stick with Guitar Hero.  I already know how to play it and I learned so many awesome songs from it over the years that I would never had heard on my own.  And here's one of them:



Title: Re: FRI...DAY
Post by: MengJiao on August 26, 2016, 09:38:47 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on August 26, 2016, 07:01:49 AM
New stuff out for CKII so might have to fire that up... it's been a while... O0


Hmmmm.CKII.  Possible.  Definitely battle of Moscow and PQ17.
Title: Re: FRI...DAY
Post by: Toonces on August 26, 2016, 09:51:44 PM
Ok, no more Friday threads for JD for at least a week.  That was terrible, dood.   :knuppel2:
Title: Re: FRI...DAY
Post by: Sir Slash on August 26, 2016, 10:23:44 PM
Trying to learn the intricacies of Pride of Nations while battling a head-cold and then taking it all out on the monsters in POE-The White March.
Title: Re: FRI...DAY
Post by: Kushan on August 26, 2016, 11:57:42 PM
Elite: Got myself into an interesting situation tonight. Finished the first leg of my trip out to Bernards Loop. When trying to find a route for the 2nd leg I realized that my plan to go over then drop down on Bernards Loop is going to be impossible, due to a very large area of space that requires an unknown permit to enter. I could have continued going on the roof of the galaxy but if this bubble of space is anywhere near the size of human area I could potentially have to go 1,000 light years before I can find a path downward. Instead I decided to back track a little bit and drop straight down from where I'm currently at, almost above the Witch Head nebula, in hopes I can find a valid path that way. At least I'm, getting the ability to scan plenty of systems. Only one that I think I have first discovery on but I've found plenty of high metal planets that should net me a good amount of credits if I'm able to turn it in.

Crusader Kings II: Paradox has me trained too well, picked this up last night without even thinking about it. Planning on starting a new series on my YouTube channel as the Hapsburgs.

Some World of Warcraft and CMANO will also be played this weekend.
Title: Re: FRI...DAY
Post by: JudgeDredd on August 27, 2016, 02:58:25 AM
Quote from: Toonces on August 26, 2016, 09:51:44 PM
Ok, no more Friday threads for JD for at least a week.  That was terrible, dood.   :knuppel2:
Harsh  ;D
Title: Re: FRI...DAY
Post by: Ian C on August 27, 2016, 05:53:43 AM
Playing Hearts of Iron 4 (213 hrs so far) and continuing my first play-through of The Witcher 3 (all DLC).
Title: Re: FRI...DAY
Post by: BanzaiCat on August 27, 2016, 11:56:52 AM
I got the Tiny Tina DLC on sale some time ago (for Borderlands 2) and it took me a while to level up to where I could just barely survive the brutal encounters in there (not to mention finding the time to play it). I just rage quit after getting my Commando killed by some 'Duke of Ork' seven times in a row.
Title: Re: FRI...DAY
Post by: WYBaugh on August 27, 2016, 12:25:53 PM
JD, how is F1 2016?  I'm keeping myself from pulling the trigger but it sounds awesome.
Title: Re: FRI...DAY
Post by: Gusington on August 27, 2016, 01:55:42 PM
^HAHA that avatar...
Title: Re: FRI...DAY
Post by: bob48 on August 27, 2016, 03:08:53 PM
Quote from: Toonces on August 26, 2016, 09:51:44 PM
Ok, no more Friday threads for JD for at least a week.  That was terrible, dood.   :knuppel2:

...does that mean we have to wait a whole week until another Friday thread?..........
Title: Re: FRI...DAY
Post by: JudgeDredd on August 27, 2016, 03:24:55 PM
Quote from: WYBaugh on August 27, 2016, 12:25:53 PM
JD, how is F1 2016?  I'm keeping myself from pulling the trigger but it sounds awesome.
I've got 9 hours in it so far. Believe it or not, I've only performed Practice One. I have been restarting, trying to decide what career I want to start with what team. The practice sessions with their "targets" are very good imo. Not gimmicky - you do "feel" like the practice session is to help your team better the car.

Overall, so far, I'm impressed. I don't know what the AI will be like in a race, but they seem to be pretty competitive in Practice.

One thing that is difficult is the new "popup" menus on the right side. There's a fair amount to take in and a lot of radio options. Knowing what is where and selecting the right option is going to be a big ask. But it's better in the sense that they are detailed (seeing the tyre temps for example and percentage of wear).

All in all, I definitely get the feeling that overall it's a better game and the career mode looks like it's adds to the immersion.

I will be uninstalling 2015 shortly. Big  O0 from me.
Title: Re: FRI...DAY
Post by: WYBaugh on August 27, 2016, 03:37:26 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 27, 2016, 03:24:55 PM
Quote from: WYBaugh on August 27, 2016, 12:25:53 PM
JD, how is F1 2016?  I'm keeping myself from pulling the trigger but it sounds awesome.
I've got 9 hours in it so far. Believe it or not, I've only performed Practice One. I have been restarting, trying to decide what career I want to start with what team. The practice sessions with their "targets" are very good imo. Not gimmicky - you do "feel" like the practice session is to help your team better the car.

Overall, so far, I'm impressed. I don't know what the AI will be like in a race, but they seem to be pretty competitive in Practice.

One thing that is difficult is the new "popup" menus on the right side. There's a fair amount to take in and a lot of radio options. Knowing what is where and selecting the right option is going to be a big ask. But it's better in the sense that they are detailed (seeing the tyre temps for example and percentage of wear).

All in all, I definitely get the feeling that overall it's a better game and the career mode looks like it's adds to the immersion.

I will be uninstalling 2015 shortly. Big  O0 from me.

Awesome!  Talked me into it.  Thank you JD!
Title: Re: FRI...DAY
Post by: JudgeDredd on August 27, 2016, 03:52:17 PM
Quote from: WYBaugh on August 27, 2016, 03:37:26 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 27, 2016, 03:24:55 PM
Quote from: WYBaugh on August 27, 2016, 12:25:53 PM
JD, how is F1 2016?  I'm keeping myself from pulling the trigger but it sounds awesome.
I've got 9 hours in it so far. Believe it or not, I've only performed Practice One. I have been restarting, trying to decide what career I want to start with what team. The practice sessions with their "targets" are very good imo. Not gimmicky - you do "feel" like the practice session is to help your team better the car.

Overall, so far, I'm impressed. I don't know what the AI will be like in a race, but they seem to be pretty competitive in Practice.

One thing that is difficult is the new "popup" menus on the right side. There's a fair amount to take in and a lot of radio options. Knowing what is where and selecting the right option is going to be a big ask. But it's better in the sense that they are detailed (seeing the tyre temps for example and percentage of wear).

All in all, I definitely get the feeling that overall it's a better game and the career mode looks like it's adds to the immersion.

I will be uninstalling 2015 shortly. Big  O0 from me.

Awesome!  Talked me into it.  Thank you JD!
^ oooh....I hate that  :'(  It's my fault if you think it's crap.

But honestly, it's the best one yet imo...though again, I haven't raced yet - the AI could be crap...the career could be porked part way through...the game might bog down during a race...these things, I do not know. But my early use of it I am very impressed.

The cars feel great to drive too...but watch out for the kerbs. Trying to keep the power on whilst hitting a kerb is going to make your car lively. Again though, that may differ between teams...I've only played as Renault and Marussia.

I started with Marussia and after several attempts at starting a career (not the fault of the game...I couldn't make my mind up) I changed and went to Renault. After finding it very difficult to meet any of the practice goals (yes - they seemed to be more difficult to achieve in the Renault - probably the bar being set higher?) I went back to Marussia. I have no idea how good the other cars are and how different they are in terms of ease of driving. The 2015 game seemed to have a noticeable driving model between the higher placed cars than the lower ones...but I don't know in this game because I haven't tried yet.

But so far it has pleased me. I hope you enjoy it. It's a solid attempt at an F1 racing game with the benefit of immersing you in the driver world I think.
Title: Re: FRI...DAY
Post by: Hofstadter on August 27, 2016, 06:17:51 PM
I bought rimworld.

I might ge obsessed with this for a while
Title: Re: FRI...DAY
Post by: Bison on August 27, 2016, 06:41:18 PM
Quote from: Hofstadter on August 27, 2016, 06:17:51 PM
I bought rimworld.

I might ge obsessed with this for a while

This is really the only game on my radar for a future purchase.
Title: Re: FRI...DAY
Post by: jamus34 on August 27, 2016, 06:57:50 PM
Quote from: Hofstadter on August 27, 2016, 06:17:51 PM
I bought rimworld.

I might ge obsessed with this for a while

Yeah, I racked up 30 hours real quick.

Had to step away from it a bit...but started back today.
Title: Re: FRI...DAY
Post by: Hofstadter on August 28, 2016, 12:47:43 AM
Am I going to die at my computer
Title: Re: FRI...DAY
Post by: BanzaiCat on August 29, 2016, 06:45:22 AM
^ Unless you're talking about South-Korean-guy-dying-from-epic-Starcraft-marathon (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4137782.stm) levels of playing, you're probably just fine.  O0
Title: Re: FRI...DAY
Post by: undercovergeek on August 29, 2016, 07:02:09 AM
Chaos is on the march in warhammer - factions I've never met are asking for treaties and trade deals as the panic spreads - I stopped on turn 100 - have consolidated 2 more dwarf clans but left the northern most clan because it's on the chaos border - pulling in 12k a turn now so am heading towards the higher tier units as the lands get upgraded

I border the vampires but we've just signed a non aggression pact as they're right in line for the next chaos incursion - I can expand north towards chaos or west through brettonia - I have four more dwarf strongholds to take to meet the long campaign victory conditions on territory gains