GrogHeads Forum

IRL (In Real Life) => Tech Talk => Topic started by: Staggerwing on September 19, 2016, 05:41:12 PM

Title: Mac users- get 'El Capitan' (OS X 10.11) while you can... Gone tomorrow
Post by: Staggerwing on September 19, 2016, 05:41:12 PM
Once OS X 10.12 Sierra is out tomorrow, Sept 20, 2016, you will not be able to download El Capitan anymore... unless you already have. Huh?

If your Apple ID shows a download history of previous versions of OS X they will still be available under your 'Purchased' section of your App Store account. This could be important if you have an older Mac that you might still want to upgrade but that does not meet the minimum requirements for Sierra, which is mostly any mac from before 2011. You don't have to install El Capitan right away, just download it at least once under the Apple ID you will be using for the older rig, though it doesn't have to be that rig (unlike the way Microsoft ties your Win10 license to a particular motherboard).

Title: Re: Mac users- get 'El Capitan' (OS X 10.11) while you can... Gone tomorrow
Post by: mirth on September 19, 2016, 06:45:48 PM
Thanks for the heads up, 'wing. I hadn't downloaded/installed El Capitan yet.
Title: Re: Mac users- get 'El Capitan' (OS X 10.11) while you can... Gone tomorrow
Post by: Bison on September 19, 2016, 07:28:22 PM
Quote from: mirth on September 19, 2016, 06:45:48 PM
Thanks for the heads up, 'wing. I hadn't downloaded/installed El Capitan yet.

I didn't know that you were an apple carrying member of the darkside.
Title: Re: Mac users- get 'El Capitan' (OS X 10.11) while you can... Gone tomorrow
Post by: mirth on September 19, 2016, 07:34:29 PM
Quote from: Bison on September 19, 2016, 07:28:22 PM
Quote from: mirth on September 19, 2016, 06:45:48 PM
Thanks for the heads up, 'wing. I hadn't downloaded/installed El Capitan yet.

I didn't know that you were an apple carrying member of the darkside.

It's a holdover from a previous job. They let me keep a 13-inch Macbook.
Title: Re: Mac users- get 'El Capitan' (OS X 10.11) while you can... Gone tomorrow
Post by: Bison on September 19, 2016, 07:48:49 PM
So you are a mac user.  Noted.
Title: Re: Mac users- get 'El Capitan' (OS X 10.11) while you can... Gone tomorrow
Post by: mirth on September 19, 2016, 07:56:00 PM
Quote from: Bison on September 19, 2016, 07:48:49 PM
So you are a mac user.  Noted.

Heh. I have a Windows laptop as well.
Title: Re: Mac users- get 'El Capitan' (OS X 10.11) while you can... Gone tomorrow
Post by: bayonetbrant on September 19, 2016, 08:12:48 PM
Quote from: mirth on September 19, 2016, 07:34:29 PM
Quote from: Bison on September 19, 2016, 07:28:22 PM
Quote from: mirth on September 19, 2016, 06:45:48 PM
Thanks for the heads up, 'wing. I hadn't downloaded/installed El Capitan yet.

I didn't know that you were an apple carrying member of the darkside.

It's a holdover from a previous job. They let me keep a 13-inch Macbook.

Feel free to send that puppy this way. I'll save you from the indignity
Title: Re: Mac users- get 'El Capitan' (OS X 10.11) while you can... Gone tomorrow
Post by: Staggerwing on September 19, 2016, 08:34:01 PM
Quote from: Bison on September 19, 2016, 07:48:49 PM
So you are a mac user.  Noted.

IIRC, you may have mentioned being in possession of such an infernal device yourself...
Title: Re: Mac users- get 'El Capitan' (OS X 10.11) while you can... Gone tomorrow
Post by: Bison on September 19, 2016, 08:43:33 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on September 19, 2016, 08:34:01 PM
Quote from: Bison on September 19, 2016, 07:48:49 PM
So you are a mac user.  Noted.

IIRC, you may have mentioned being in possession of such an infernal device yourself...
Yup and I love my macbook.  It's a fantastic product and I've never had an issue with the OS.  I wish I could say the same about my windows gaming rig.
Title: Re: Mac users- get 'El Capitan' (OS X 10.11) while you can... Gone tomorrow
Post by: Staggerwing on September 19, 2016, 08:51:05 PM
Testify!


I spend most of my computer time (outside of work, that is) on a big-ass iMac. I do however have a mini PC for some printing/engraving stuff and I have a regular-sized one for windows-only games.
Title: Re: Mac users- get 'El Capitan' (OS X 10.11) while you can... Gone tomorrow
Post by: mirth on September 19, 2016, 08:52:35 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on September 19, 2016, 08:12:48 PM
Quote from: mirth on September 19, 2016, 07:34:29 PM
Quote from: Bison on September 19, 2016, 07:28:22 PM
Quote from: mirth on September 19, 2016, 06:45:48 PM
Thanks for the heads up, 'wing. I hadn't downloaded/installed El Capitan yet.

I didn't know that you were an apple carrying member of the darkside.

It's a holdover from a previous job. They let me keep a 13-inch Macbook.

Feel free to send that puppy this way. I'll save you from the indignity

I think I'll manage to suffer through it.