GrogHeads Forum

IRL (In Real Life) => General Discussion => Topic started by: acctingman on September 23, 2016, 09:28:39 AM

Title: Bovington Tank Museum Tank Fest 2017
Post by: acctingman on September 23, 2016, 09:28:39 AM
Is anyone planning to attend the 2017 Bovington Tank Fest next year?

The wife and I are going to Iceland/England next year for our 1 yr anniversary/belated honeymoon and she's graciously letting me attend Tank Fest next year.

Be neat to meet some Grogheads and drool over some of the tanks!
Title: Re: Bovington Tank Museum Tank Fest 2017
Post by: Sir Slash on September 23, 2016, 10:40:43 AM
Would love to. You offering to pay our way? All of us?   ;D  I'd watch that wife. If she's willing to share the 1st Anniversary with tanks..... she might be setting you up for something. Just saying.
Title: Re: Bovington Tank Museum Tank Fest 2017
Post by: acctingman on September 23, 2016, 10:48:36 AM
I'd buy ya a pint (yanks are allowed to use that phrase, right!), nothing more!  :P

She is going to attend Saturday's events, but Sunday I get the museum all to myself! She's off exploring the countryside!

Why she wouldn't want to enjoy all the eye candy in that museum is beyond me  :uglystupid2:
Title: Re: Bovington Tank Museum Tank Fest 2017
Post by: airboy on September 23, 2016, 12:26:18 PM
I've been to several tank museums and the Bovington museum is the best in the world.  If you like armor you will have an excellent time.

I took a train out from London.  It was a nice walk to the museum.  It is through the countryside and you will see guys in training with turrentless tanks if you are there on a weekday.
Title: Re: Bovington Tank Museum Tank Fest 2017
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 23, 2016, 01:03:28 PM
I may well be there - it's pencilled in at least
Title: Re: Bovington Tank Museum Tank Fest 2017
Post by: acctingman on September 23, 2016, 01:05:05 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 23, 2016, 01:03:28 PM
I may well be there - it's pencilled in at least

Hope to see you there JD!  O0
Title: Re: Bovington Tank Museum Tank Fest 2017
Post by: Boggit on September 23, 2016, 09:30:17 PM
I live about 20-25 miles from there. Depending on commitments closer to the time, it would be good to see you and JD. O0
Title: Re: Bovington Tank Museum Tank Fest 2017
Post by: acctingman on September 23, 2016, 09:33:40 PM
Quote from: Boggit on September 23, 2016, 09:30:17 PM
I live about 20-25 miles from there. Depending on commitments closer to the time, it would be good to see you and JD. O0

That would be great Boggit!

As the trip out gets closer, I'll nerco this thread back to life and/or contact you and JD  O0
Title: Re: Bovington Tank Museum Tank Fest 2017
Post by: GDS_Starfury on September 24, 2016, 12:18:43 AM
do you skull a favor and don't let your wife and Bawbs wife hang out.
Title: Re: Bovington Tank Museum Tank Fest 2017
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 24, 2016, 01:27:52 AM
Quote from: Boggit on September 23, 2016, 09:30:17 PM
I live about 20-25 miles from there. Depending on commitments closer to the time, it would be good to see you and JD. O0
If you live 25 miles from there you should be bored of it with it being on your doorstep...that's too close to not want to go regularly.

I will definitely try and get there. I was stationed in Colerne in Wiltshire when I was in training and I wanted to visit the camp before it was swept away like the rest of my life - so I've pencilled a weekend in and depending on commitments closer to the time, I should be there.
Title: Re: Bovington Tank Museum Tank Fest 2017
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 24, 2016, 01:29:08 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on September 24, 2016, 12:18:43 AM
do you skull a favor and don't let your wife and Bawbs wife hang out.
lol - it would be nice to have Mr and Mrs Bawb there but they are a considerable distance away from Bovington...we could try and apply some pressure  :knuppel2:
Title: Re: Bovington Tank Museum Tank Fest 2017
Post by: Boggit on September 24, 2016, 01:40:43 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 24, 2016, 01:27:52 AM
Quote from: Boggit on September 23, 2016, 09:30:17 PM
I live about 20-25 miles from there. Depending on commitments closer to the time, it would be good to see you and JD. O0
If you live 25 miles from there you should be bored of it with it being on your doorstep...that's too close to not want to go regularly.

I will definitely try and get there. I was stationed in Colerne in Wiltshire when I was in training and I wanted to visit the camp before it was swept away like the rest of my life - so I've pencilled a weekend in and depending on commitments closer to the time, I should be there.
I live in Bournemouth. To be honest, I've been a couple of times, and it's a brilliant museum, although I haven't been there for quite a few years now.

So you're ex RAF then? It's a small world. O0 That accounts a lot for your need for speed games. 8) ::)

IIRC, depending on the timing, some of the local wargame groups put on public and presentation table top games there too - that was a long time ago, so I have no idea if they still do it, although it seemed popular at the time.
Title: Re: Bovington Tank Museum Tank Fest 2017
Post by: Sir Slash on September 24, 2016, 10:01:32 AM
You Brits get to have all the fun. Pubs and museums on every corner. I'd move there if yall spoke proper English and had real Football.  8)
Title: Re: Bovington Tank Museum Tank Fest 2017
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 24, 2016, 10:24:20 AM
Quote from: Boggit on September 24, 2016, 01:40:43 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 24, 2016, 01:27:52 AM
Quote from: Boggit on September 23, 2016, 09:30:17 PM
I live about 20-25 miles from there. Depending on commitments closer to the time, it would be good to see you and JD. O0
If you live 25 miles from there you should be bored of it with it being on your doorstep...that's too close to not want to go regularly.

I will definitely try and get there. I was stationed in Colerne in Wiltshire when I was in training and I wanted to visit the camp before it was swept away like the rest of my life - so I've pencilled a weekend in and depending on commitments closer to the time, I should be there.
I live in Bournemouth. To be honest, I've been a couple of times, and it's a brilliant museum, although I haven't been there for quite a few years now.

So you're ex RAF then? It's a small world. O0 That accounts a lot for your need for speed games. 8) ::)

IIRC, depending on the timing, some of the local wargame groups put on public and presentation table top games there too - that was a long time ago, so I have no idea if they still do it, although it seemed popular at the time.
Oh good god no - I wasn't RAF. I wanted to, but they wanted me to get A levels and all I wanted to do was leave school.

I was in The Royal Corps of Transport. Nothing exotic I'm afraid. Loved it though...well, the people. Colerne was a training establishment for Junior Leaders.
Title: Re: Bovington Tank Museum Tank Fest 2017
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 24, 2016, 10:26:31 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on September 24, 2016, 10:01:32 AM
You Brits get to have all the fun. Pubs and museums on every corner. I'd move there if yall spoke proper English and had real Football.  8)
I like your football, but I really couldn't call it "real" football, especially as it's so like rugby and not at all like actual football.

Surely the "real" tag to football should be on how long it's been going on?  ???

Anyway, I prefer your "football" to ours. Can't stand the game.  :-X
Title: Re: Bovington Tank Museum Tank Fest 2017
Post by: Sir Slash on September 24, 2016, 09:54:30 PM
Well they do get to put a foot on the football once in a while. I like to think of it as Millionaires beating the crap out of each other. And the least they could do is STAND for the National Antheum of the nation giving them so much money. Dammit.
Title: Re: Bovington Tank Museum Tank Fest 2017
Post by: bob48 on September 25, 2016, 01:20:16 PM
Its been a bit over 50 years since I last went to Bovington, and I know its grown considerably since then. I have a bunch of B&W photo's taken there and I had a bit of a climb on the jagd Panther, which was parked outside the main building at that time.

As it happens, Mrs B and I was talking about trying to arrange a visit, as she wants to see Tiger 131 almost as much as I do.
Title: Re: Bovington Tank Museum Tank Fest 2017
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 26, 2016, 12:56:41 AM
So could be a Grogfest  ;D
Title: Re: Bovington Tank Museum Tank Fest 2017
Post by: acctingman on September 26, 2016, 09:06:59 AM
Pints are on me!!  :D :uglystupid2: :crazy2:
Title: Re: Bovington Tank Museum Tank Fest 2017
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 26, 2016, 09:09:37 AM
Well bugger me - I'm definitely in then!
Title: Re: Bovington Tank Museum Tank Fest 2017
Post by: Sir Slash on September 26, 2016, 10:11:37 AM
I'll be inside Tiger 131 with Bob and Mrs. Bob. Do you deliver those pints?
Title: Re: Bovington Tank Museum Tank Fest 2017
Post by: bob48 on September 26, 2016, 10:51:19 AM
ROFL :-)
Title: Re: Bovington Tank Museum Tank Fest 2017
Post by: GDS_Starfury on September 26, 2016, 12:38:35 PM
For free beer and tanks I might fky over.
Title: Re: Bovington Tank Museum Tank Fest 2017
Post by: acctingman on September 26, 2016, 06:00:21 PM
Damn....the wife isn't going to be too happy with me spending our vacation money getting you all sauced  :o
Title: Re: Bovington Tank Museum Tank Fest 2017
Post by: Sir Slash on September 26, 2016, 10:12:58 PM
I know a great Divorce Lawyer. He works for my Ex-Wife. Maybe he'll buys us all around. He can afford it, he has all my money.  8)
Title: Re: Bovington Tank Museum Tank Fest 2017
Post by: acctingman on September 27, 2016, 08:38:21 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on September 26, 2016, 10:12:58 PM
I know a great Divorce Lawyer. He works for my Ex-Wife. Maybe he'll buys us all around. He can afford it, he has all my money.  8)

Yikes....we're only 2 months into this....clearly not enough time for me to mess things up!  O0

She has all the money to begin with!!  O0