So I'm in the mood for a relatively modern naval combat game with a strong strategic campaign, and it appears these both fit the bill (please don't recommend WotP or CMANO. The learning curve on both is more than I want to deal with)
Anyway, they both the same flaw - no saving mid mission., but I can swallow my bile and live with it if the missions aren't too long. Particularly since they are priced at $10 and $5 at the moment.
What sayeth the hive mind?
Which bit do you want more the strategy or the pew pew?
I've played Atlantic fleet to death but just the head to head scenarios not the campaign and thought it was great but that's because I wanted to see big ass ships shooting at each other
If it's pew pew AF is the one but then there's always world of warships too
More interested in the strategy. So - Victory at Sea, then?
I'd say VaS has a bit more strategy than AF but not much. Battles in both can take a while if there are a lot of ships involved. Both can have battles that last up to 40 minutes.
I'm playing AF on my iPad which I think it's well suited for. And I'm playing the Battle for the Atlantic campaign, which with 0.5 week turns and multiple battles per turn is giving a lot of play time. I'm near the end of 1941 and the convoys are getting tougher to find and kill. Oh and everything is turn based.
VaS I play on the PC. Everything is pause-able real time where you can give orders while paused and speed or slow time. Haven't played this as much as AF... mainly because it's on my PC.
The ship models in AF are very detailed and hit locations matter. You can slow enemies down by shooting at the stern to damage props and engines, aim at turrets to disable them etc.
The destruction and sinking animations are fun to watch too. Especially when you are in a sub you can peek below the water and see the ship slowly sink. Very dramatic. Explosions, oil slicks, burning oil slicks, groaning and creaking sounds as the ships sink.
With them being so cheap I'd get both and see which you like better... the scratch slightly different itches....
40 minute battles? That might just change my mind. Sometimes I'm luck to get 15 minutes at a time to play.
When you play the campaign or the larger scenarios, then yes you can get battles that last that long.
Lots of smaller battles and AF has a "Campaign" mode where you are just fighting a series of set piece battles with only up to 3 ships under your control. These can take about 15 to 20 minutes.
It's AF that was built using a variant of the Silent Hunter engine, yes?
Quote from: JasonPratt on September 27, 2016, 07:49:07 AM
It's AF that was built using a variant of the Silent Hunter engine, yes?
No idea.... ???
It was built by the people who originally did Pacific Fleet for the iPad. They then did AF and then ported it to the PC. Works equally well on PC and iPad.. I have both... :idiot2:
I have played both and prefer Atlantic Fleet but then I generally go for turn based over RTS...just my $0.02.
I still have Atlantic Fleet on my wishlist but went with Victory at Sea because it's on sale for $5 instead of the usual $25, and that's pretty much my "why the hell not?" level. By the time I get to the point that the missions are too long I certainly will have gotten my $5 out of it.
ATlantic Fleet deffo better but Victory at Sea not bad
After an hour with Victory at Sea I ended up returning it and got Atlantic Fleet - much more to my liking, and the combat has a lot more depth to it.
I found Atlantic Fleet took a lot of time compared to the enjoyment, and grew tired of it rather rapidly, but tastes differ.
If they added a bit more depth on the campaign side it could have been really good.
Hi,
Seeing as the topic is Atlantic Fleet, .. just saw this on Facebook .. looking to Greenlight on Steam .. Cold Waters.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=770691721
.. by the same devs that did Atlantic Fleet.
Looks good .. so, .. give it a YES on Steam, .. if you feel so inclined .. :)
Cheers
Tom
Quote from: Thomasew on September 28, 2016, 09:50:49 AM
Hi,
Seeing as the topic is Atlantic Fleet, .. just saw this on Facebook .. looking to Greenlight on Steam .. Cold Waters.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=770691721
.. by the same devs that did Atlantic Fleet.
Looks good .. so, .. give it a YES on Steam, .. if you feel so inclined .. :)
Cheers
Tom
:D
Thanks for posting about this!
OH My god that looks great....Red Storm Rising was one of my favourite games of all time. Hunting other subs was superb........
Cold Waters looks like a blast!
Is that some kind of pun? If so, ram it. :P