GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Boggit on September 30, 2016, 05:36:30 AM

Title: Bragging Rights
Post by: Boggit on September 30, 2016, 05:36:30 AM
Panzerde has to be up there with the greatest! He's just beat me and Cyrano with a major victory in our Gumbinnen to Tannenburg campaign in First World War Campaigns: East Prussia '14 on TURN 1!!!!  :o

It's something few wargamers can ever claim to have achieved.  :coolsmiley:

A truly spectacular achievement - which is of course is what early termination is supposed to reflect. 8) Let Panzerde now bask in the glory that humiliates the achievements of Hindenburg and Ludendorff by its mega impressiveness.




Spoiler...

But the behind the victory, the powers of darkness lurked >:D - as our Mata Hari aka Ed Williams (who designed the scenario) reported the truth - that it is a bug in the early termination trigger, that will be fixed in the next update. Fortunately for Cyrano and myself our Mata Hari supplied us with a fixed scenario file and we wait with bated breath whether Panzerde can pull off another victory of the same magnitude.... ::)

Has anyone else run into the early termination issue with EP '14? IIRC, it's only in some of the big scenarios.

Title: Re: Bragging Rights
Post by: bob48 on September 30, 2016, 07:35:17 AM
Brilliant!

You'll not see him for a day or two as I've sent him off to look at some second-hand aircraft carriers for us.
Title: Re: Bragging Rights
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 30, 2016, 08:50:25 AM
Well done Panzerde

I don't buy the "bug" story  :D
Title: Re: Bragging Rights
Post by: Pinetree on September 30, 2016, 08:55:18 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 30, 2016, 08:50:25 AM
Well done Panzerde

I don't buy the "bug" story  :D

Well, he kicks my arse on a regular basis. :D
Title: Re: Bragging Rights
Post by: Boggit on September 30, 2016, 11:49:05 AM
No definitely a bug - whatever Panzerde says to the contrary!  ::) I bow to the advice of our Mata Hari (Ed Williams).  ;D

Panzerde, myself, and Cyrano all have the fixed file. I checked with Ed and it only applies to that scenario and will go out in the next update. PM me (or indeed my other two partners in crime) if you can't wait for the update and want a copy of the file. O0

PS. I should add that Ed confirmed it's only in this particular scenario. The others with early termination are ok.
Title: Re: Bragging Rights
Post by: mirth on September 30, 2016, 11:52:22 AM
This makes a compelling case for digital gaming over tabletop. When you lose, you can claim it was because of a bug :P
Title: Re: Bragging Rights
Post by: Boggit on September 30, 2016, 11:54:08 AM
Quote from: bob48 on September 30, 2016, 07:35:17 AM
Brilliant!

You'll not see him for a day or two as I've sent him off to look at some second-hand aircraft carriers for us.
Cyrano was shocked when I suggested he pay Tijuana a visit. What does Cyrano know about Panzerde and Tijuana that he's not telling? ;)

As to the carriers... (it's a bit old, but topical and funny)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0jgZKV4N_A

Title: Re: Bragging Rights
Post by: Boggit on September 30, 2016, 12:00:53 PM
Quote from: mirth on September 30, 2016, 11:52:22 AM
This makes a compelling case for digital gaming over tabletop. When you lose, you can claim it was because of a bug :P
Yes, far more satisfying! ^-^
Title: Re: Bragging Rights
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 30, 2016, 01:33:30 PM
Quote from: Boggit on September 30, 2016, 11:49:05 AM
No definitely a bug - whatever Panzerde says to the contrary!  ::) I bow to the advice of our Mata Hari (Ed Williams).  ;D

Panzerde, myself, and Cyrano all have the fixed file. I checked with Ed and it only applies to that scenario and will go out in the next update. PM me (or indeed my other two partners in crime) if you can't wait for the update and want a copy of the file. O0

PS. I should add that Ed confirmed it's only in this particular scenario. The others with early termination are ok.
Not listening....la la lala la...
Title: Re: Bragging Rights
Post by: Boggit on September 30, 2016, 02:44:21 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 30, 2016, 01:33:30 PM
Quote from: Boggit on September 30, 2016, 11:49:05 AM
No definitely a bug - whatever Panzerde says to the contrary!  ::) I bow to the advice of our Mata Hari (Ed Williams).  ;D

Panzerde, myself, and Cyrano all have the fixed file. I checked with Ed and it only applies to that scenario and will go out in the next update. PM me (or indeed my other two partners in crime) if you can't wait for the update and want a copy of the file. O0

PS. I should add that Ed confirmed it's only in this particular scenario. The others with early termination are ok.
Not listening....la la lala la...
:2funny:
Title: Re: Bragging Rights
Post by: panzerde on September 30, 2016, 08:54:38 PM
Even more striking was that I spent most of my half of the turn pulling troops back from contact so that they could reorganize. Truly a Sun Tzu moment - I won by (mostly) not fighting!

I'm going to need to bask in the glory of this while I can. Now that we have the fixed scenario my Prussians are facing two entire Russian armies, led by commanders that I suspect are not going to fall into the obliging failures of their historical contemporaries. Fortunately the game models the Russian troop quality and morale pretty well, so I have at least some chance!

It was pretty damn funny though, to get the turn back and see "German Major Victory" at the end of Turn 1!

Title: Re: Bragging Rights
Post by: Gusington on September 30, 2016, 08:55:54 PM
Shelldrake beat me in like three turns in Commander: The Great War last year IIRC.
Title: Re: Bragging Rights
Post by: panzerde on September 30, 2016, 09:04:37 PM
Quote from: bob48 on September 30, 2016, 07:35:17 AM
Brilliant!

You'll not see him for a day or two as I've sent him off to look at some second-hand aircraft carriers for us.

Right. So it turns out that we've got the Theodore Roosevelt and the Carl Vinson sitting here. The TR is in a maintenance activity, so maybe I can pick it up for a reduced price as part of a scratch and dent sale? I tried to get close to kick the tires, so to speak, but the Navy has a bunch of destroyers and frigates they keep chasing me off with.

Now, right across the bay I may have found you a good deal! Someone seems to have left USS Midway just sitting around, with a fresh coat of paint and everything! She's even got a load of aircraft aboard...albeit a rather mixed bag spanning maybe 40 years of naval aviation. Granted, she's maybe a third the size of a Nimitz, but I bet she's about as big as those big nosed VSTOL carriers you guys used to use. Probably good enough to fool the French, anyway, right?

Title: Re: Bragging Rights
Post by: bob48 on October 01, 2016, 02:22:41 PM
...never mind all that, Doug. Look, its grey and its more than we have now - take the damn thing - but do a bit of haggling - times are hard y'know.
Title: Re: Bragging Rights
Post by: Capn Darwin on October 01, 2016, 02:30:27 PM
As Doug shows, it pays to go to Origins and participate in the Staff Command Exercises.  O0 :coolsmiley: