Just been playing Rise of Flight and also learning Wings Over Flanders Fields while just using the joystick hat for the snap views to look around. Using the mouse is quite clumsy for me while trying to work the joystick at the same time.
I keep on reading that TrackIR is worth the high price for flight simulators and that most people say that it's definitely worth it. Even without purchasing the Pro clip and just using the hat reflectors.
Can anyone who has TrackIR or even used to offer any comments on it? I'm really torn between getting it or putting up with the snap views in my flight simulator games including IL2 1946.
Many thanks for any and all comments.
I highly recommend it. Makes all the difference in playing Rise of Flight for me. I can't imagine playing War Thunder without it either. It is not so much for immersion (but it does help with that). For me the value is that my head / neck are just so much more accurate in controlling my camera view than my thumb, and moving my head to control view is just so much more natural.
I never really thought Track IR was worth it.
Then I bought one after I had a tax return one year.
Yeah, I was pretty brutally wrong. I honestly can't play a flight sim without it. It's brutally amazing in OFF, IL2-1946, Rise of Flight and Elite Dangerous.
Snap views have absolutely nothing on the immersion Track IR offers.
Definitely worth it IMO. I couldn't go back to playing Elite or Prepar3D without it.
A question for you flight simmers out there.
What if any is the advantage of better screens and TrackIr etc over VR?
I was thinking that the new occulous rift would render all this other technology obsolete. Is it to soon or not "good" enough?
Con
Get one. I can't play flight sims or ArmA without one now. It's like trying to fly with only one arm.
Works well on sim racing games too :)
Quote from: Con on October 01, 2016, 10:52:50 PM
A question for you flight simmers out there.
What if any is the advantage of better screens and TrackIr etc over VR?
I was thinking that the new occulous rift would render all this other technology obsolete. Is it to soon or not "good" enough?
Con
I think the problem would be that you can't see your keyboard or your hotas setup inside a rift or vive.
Yes
It's taken me several buys and several sells to eventually buy (3rd time) and enjoy it. DCS and Elite are superb. I don't like using it for my driving games, but perhaps that's just through lack of use. I tend to drive where I'm looking so having my head moving about isn't ideal.
And my latest love - F1 2016 - doesn't support it anyway and that's pretty much what I'm racing at the moment.
Its great and I think worth every penny. Its also something that has longevity for the price, its not like they are coming out with new models every year. I have had mine for several years and no regrets and has helped me in flight sims and other type of games.
Quote from: vyshka on October 02, 2016, 01:02:38 AM
Quote from: Con on October 01, 2016, 10:52:50 PM
A question for you flight simmers out there.
What if any is the advantage of better screens and TrackIr etc over VR?
I was thinking that the new occulous rift would render all this other technology obsolete. Is it to soon or not "good" enough?
Con
I think the problem would be that you can't see your keyboard or your hotas setup inside a rift or vive.
Doesn't one of the two headsets have a small down-looking camera built into it? I thought that Jarhead mentioned something about it after he got his VR set.
If you've got the dosh and like flightsimming then definitely get it. For a few years I used a free-ware version which would be worth looking into if don't want to fork out. There are actually a few apps (Freetrack, Open Track, FacetrackNoIR). Freetrack is probably the best, though unsupported at the moment. You can make a track-clip or buy the pukka one from Natural Point (about £30 I think) and use a PS Eye camera (about £10). Takes a bit of fiddling, but does the job almost as well as the real product.
Like the others said - I wouldn't flightsim without headtracking.
Just being redundant, but emphatically Yes.
Once you to Track(...IR), you'll never go back.
I won't flightsim without it. I've had mine for what has to be about 10 years, so it's built to last as well.
Two firm thumbs up.
Like those above; I consider it a primary piece of gear for simming!
Quote from: Toonces on October 02, 2016, 08:30:26 AM
I won't flightsim without it. I've had mine for what has to be about 10 years, so it's built to last as well.
Two firm thumbs up.
I have a really old Track IR that I can't find updated drivers for anymore. It's either the 1st or 2nd version and won't work with anything beyond WinXP. I haven't been able to use it for years. :(
Many thanks for the comments. I'll be ordering the product tomorrow morning.
Quote from: Toonces on October 02, 2016, 08:30:26 AM
I won't flightsim without it. I've had mine for what has to be about 10 years, so it's built to last as well.
Two firm thumbs up.
A word of warning, though. Despite Toonces' experience, the trackclips are a bit flimsy - take good care of it. Keep out of reach of small children, cats, significant others, etc.
Yep, my clip lasted about 10 seconds in the hands of a 4 year old.
I wouldn't want to digitally fly without my TIR. The difference is huge.
Tweaking the sensitivity curves is easy to figure out, too.
Although figuring out the profile save system took a little bit of reading. I tend to just turn on the 'exclusive' check box for my favorite, which tends to work for most sims. A rare one may have unusually sensitive camera movement, which requires it's own, however.
Agreed, if you 'fly' it's a must! and finding the profile that is just right, might take some time, but once you do it adds so much immersion to the sim!
Quote from: Tuna on October 02, 2016, 09:19:31 PM
Agreed, if you 'fly' it's a must! and finding the profile that is just right, might take some time, but once you do it adds so much immersion to the sim!
Not if you fly civilian airliners with many on-screen clicking. I think it doesn't add a lot. In fact, I turn off head tracking when I want to manipulate the several panels.
Quote from: Father Ted on October 02, 2016, 11:27:57 AM
Quote from: Toonces on October 02, 2016, 08:30:26 AM
I won't flightsim without it. I've had mine for what has to be about 10 years, so it's built to last as well.
Two firm thumbs up.
A word of warning, though. Despite Toonces' experience, the trackclips are a bit flimsy - take good care of it. Keep out of reach of small children, cats, significant others, etc.
The track clip pro is made out of stale biscuits :tickedoff:
I'll stick with the standard TrackClip for the hat for now and see how that goes. Been reading about people having their Clip Pro break on them.
I've never felt the need to use the pro clip, especially since it requires mounting on a headset (mine has been sitting in a drawer for years). The regular clip is much less a hassle and pretty cheap to replace if you manage to break it.
Quote from: WallysWorld on October 02, 2016, 11:27:09 PM
I'll stick with the standard TrackClip for the hat for now and see how that goes. Been reading about people having their Clip Pro break on them.
The standard clip is very precise. Never felt the need to replace it.
Word of advice though. Make sure you have no light sources behind your head (lamps, TV, ect..). They can interfere pretty badly if left on while playing.
I have only used the standard clip, no issues for me over the years.
Quote from: WallysWorld on October 02, 2016, 11:27:09 PM
I'll stick with the standard TrackClip for the hat for now and see how that goes. Been reading about people having their Clip Pro break on them.
The regular clips do just fine, as long as you don't slingshot them off into space. Just need a cap with a visor.
I have both, but the "Pro" version has two drawbacks. 1) it's bulkier, and 2) It uses yet another USB plug.
Although it saves you from needing to wear a hat, I think the trade-offs are worse. The only reason I'd end up using the headset clip-on "Pro" version again, is if there was too many false IR returns being detected by the TIR, where I have my desk. It may help differentiate stray sunlight mixing in, but I've not yet had that issue with the standard reflector that comes with the TIR.
I didn't mean to imply the TrackIR is a sturdy device. It is most certainly not. I meant that I put it on my monitor and promptly forgot about it and it's been chugging along since. When I have to take it down, like when I move, I put it in a solid Rubbermaid type container, wrapped in a wad of paper towels or other padding.
I use the regular clip on a hat. It has worked very well thus far.
I think you're going to be surprised at how awesome it is. When I'm flying airliners, I have a switch on my HOTAS to go into and out of 3D for panel button flipping. But for something like DCS, BMS, IL-2, etc. it's almost all 3D.
The trackir track clip pro is horribly flimsy, mine's been glued and duct taped together for years. Using LEDs over the reflector hat clip is a must though. I recently upgraded my clip to wireless rechargeable battery LED clip from a comapany in the UK called trackhat. It velcros onto the side of your head phones, and its about the same or maybe a little more than the trackir clip.
http://www.trackhat.org/
Quote from: Nefaro on October 03, 2016, 04:38:17 AM
Quote from: WallysWorld on October 02, 2016, 11:27:09 PM
I'll stick with the standard TrackClip for the hat for now and see how that goes. Been reading about people having their Clip Pro break on them.
The regular clips do just fine, as long as you don't slingshot them off into space. Just need a cap with a visor.
I have both, but the "Pro" version has two drawbacks. 1) it's bulkier, and 2) It uses yet another USB plug.
Although it saves you from needing to wear a hat, I think the trade-offs are worse. The only reason I'd end up using the headset clip-on "Pro" version again, is if there was too many false IR returns being detected by the TIR, where I have my desk. It may help differentiate stray sunlight mixing in, but I've not yet had that issue with the standard reflector that comes with the TIR.
The regular clip works best for me as well. Investing in a good solid baseball cap will help. I got one of those old fashioned all cloth types, with relatively stiff visor, and reinforced front.
I am firmly in the go ProClip camp.
The response is much better. I always game with a headset on anyway and its light sensitivity is much more practical as well.
I find having to wear a hat very uncomfortable.
Quote from: Yskonyn on October 04, 2016, 11:13:50 AM
I am firmly in the go ProClip camp.
The response is much better. I always game with a headset on anyway and its light sensitivity is much more practical as well.
I find having to wear a hat very uncomfortable.
Same here.
- Light sensitivity in the room I game is terrible and so a pro clip really helped with that (hence why I had sold two others previously)
- Wearing a hat is uncomfortable (and hot - no, mirth - not that kind of hot)
However, I agree with others that the clip seems to be made out of something less than solid...it really is very flimsy.
Definately, but nothing duct-tape can't fix. :P
I am in the Fine with the visor clip camp. Though I do agree, it can propel itself across the room when you grab that hat by the visor sometimes. LOL and there's the times when you go out to pick up your kids at their friends house and you forget to take your hat off!! :crazy2:
Quote from: Tuna on October 04, 2016, 02:10:56 PM
I am in the Fine with the visor clip camp. Though I do agree, it can propel itself across the room when you grab that hat by the visor sometimes. LOL and there's the times when you go out to pick up your kids at their friends house and you forget to take your hat off!! :crazy2:
Ouch.....haven't don't that yet:) I am using an old hat that I would never use in public so likely helps me from not making that mistake:)
The package arrived this afternoon and I just put the little camera on my monitor. It's a lot smaller than I thought it would be. The TrackClip looks pretty plastic-ky too so I better be careful with it. Luckily I have no light source behind me and just an overhead standing light that can be dimmed.
I'm sure I'll be spending a few hours tonight playing around with this.
Again, super thanks to everyone for their comments. Much appreciated!
It's worth checking around the forums of the games you want to play using it for other users' curve profiles. They might not be exactly what you want, but they're a good starting point.
Quote from: Father Ted on October 04, 2016, 04:57:23 PM
It's worth checking around the forums of the games you want to play using it for other users' curve profiles. They might not be exactly what you want, but they're a good starting point.
Thanks. I downloaded two Rise of Flight profiles and have been trying them out.
A bit nauseous which I read I should get use to and eventually eliminate. :crazy2:
Quote from: WallysWorld on October 04, 2016, 05:35:36 PM
Thanks. I downloaded two Rise of Flight profiles and have been trying them out.
A bit nauseous which I read I should get use to and eventually eliminate. :crazy2:
I lowered the movement delay/smoothing slider quite a bit, in the TIR software.
IIRC, it defaulted to something like 4 or 5, and I wasn't happy with how sluggishly the view moved until I reduced it to 1.
It's basically the TIR equivalent to "mouse smoothing", slowly accelerating the camera movement to follow your head movement. But it's default is way too slow for me, and was causing a bit of a headache until I adjusted it.
Again, many thanks to those who posted. I'm really enjoying using this product and once I was over the initial motion sickness phase, I can't play any flight simulator game without it. It works wonderful with both WOFF and RoF. I have to say it is well worth the money for the added immersion to flying.
Quote from: WallysWorld on October 23, 2016, 03:35:41 PM
Again, many thanks to those who posted. I'm really enjoying using this product and once I was over the initial motion sickness phase, I can't play any flight simulator game without it. It works wonderful with both WOFF and RoF. I have to say it is well worth the money for the added immersion to flying.
O0
I remember accidentally finding out where the compass was located, on the Halberstadt CL.II, due to the TrackIR.
Had been looking around the cockpit for many flights, trying to find it. But using TIR on an ROF full-realism server, it's best to move your head over the side of the cockpit to look for targets down below. Boom! There it was, on top of the wing near the root. ;D Strangeneering!
Quote from: WallysWorld on October 23, 2016, 03:35:41 PM
Again, many thanks to those who posted. I'm really enjoying using this product and once I was over the initial motion sickness phase, I can't play any flight simulator game without it. It works wonderful with both WOFF and RoF. I have to say it is well worth the money for the added immersion to flying.
Glad to hear you're enjoying it. Not sure I've ever heard anyone say they gave TIR a try and decided it wasn't for them -- the universal experience really seems to be, once TIR clicks with you, you can't play without it. It's a terrific bit of technology.
I wish they were more robust. My first one died after a year and a half. My second one appears to be on its last legs right now (camera stops responding randomly and then the unit locks up).
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 23, 2016, 04:53:28 PM
I wish they were more robust. My first one died after a year and a half. My second one appears to be on its last legs right now (camera stops responding randomly and then the unit locks up).
Sorry, SDR, but I really hope it's just your bad luck. :-\
Have had mine plugged in for over 2 years straight. Although I didn't use it steadily during that time. Would be very sad if it gave up on me anytime soon.
IIRC, the little IR receptor that sits on the monitor gets hot as shit. So much that I was a little surprised the unit didn't have extra ventilation holes or something, when I touched it after use. That can't be good.
My TIR 4 has been plugged in for 4 years and still works fine.
My TIR 5 has been running for over a year now without problems. I hope it has been built as durable as my 4.
I had my dog chew the cable and still is going strong...the device that is....had to get rid of dog when it messes with my stuff:)
I must've blocked something traumatic. This is my 3rd TrackIR that's dying on me, not my second. My first was the IR4 that died in a year and a half. The last two were IR5s. They seem to last about 2 years for me and then snuff it.
USB port frying them?
Is surprising they are dying so much....must be another contributing factor.
Quote from: Tuna on October 24, 2016, 06:14:37 PM
USB port frying them?
Maybe. Maybe just bad luck. 3 different PCs, 3 different TrackIRs = 2 dead and one dying TrackIR.
Some of the eldritch energy entities you summon forth in your conjuring space must be leaking past the outlying Holding Spells. This can put a lot of strain on nearby delicate electronics.
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 24, 2016, 06:25:19 PM
Quote from: Tuna on October 24, 2016, 06:14:37 PM
USB port frying them?
Maybe. Maybe just bad luck. 3 different PCs, 3 different TrackIRs = 2 dead and one dying TrackIR.
I have one or two USB ports, in my desktop case, which regularly cause problems with my USB headset microphones. I think it actually blew the line noise filter in one of them thus far.
I think some extra 5v power is getting piped back into that row of USBs via another piece of hardware plugged into same. Le sigh.
Of course, I saw sparks & smoke shooting out the back of one machine years ago. Due to the Logitech all-in-one software automatically choosing the wrong driver for my mouse. ::) Fortunately that motherboard was stronk.
Found this today on the Grim Reapers (group that plays DCS multiplayer https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZuXjkFY00p1ga3UyCBbR2w)
Any experiences with it ? Bare bones but looks like it works fine and only 40 € ( £ 36 )
http://www.delanengineering.com/shop/#!/DelanClip-Gamer/p/43397050/category=0
I have no hands-on experience, but a few dudes from my wing have dabbled with this very setup. A few of them like it enough, but the others found the tracking quality of TIR better, especially with a third party IR led trackclip.
I use TIR5 with such a third party clip myself. Its rock solid. And you can buy the TIR for around 75 these days. Not exactly expensive IMO.