It's time
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arcengames/ai-war-ii
The neon colors! :o
Is this AI War.. or Tron? ???
I loved the original game, but as the sequels piled on, they confused adding complexity with adding content.
They got away from the rock-paper-scissors format of most RTS nicely, but then ended up replacing it with rock-paper-scissors-dynamite-Bon Jovi-Darth Vader-Hook 'em Horns-thumbs up-peace sign-victory sign-sit signal that my dog knows.
The trailer says that they're trying to make it more comprehensible, which is great. But they also say that they're making it bigger. Arcen's been a very innovative little studio, but the play experience of their games has been very uneven.
I'd be thrilled if they get this one right.
What happened to their planned game, Stars Beyond Reach ?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/354480/
Quote from: Tpek on October 11, 2016, 04:21:57 PM
What happened to their planned game, Stars Beyond Reach ?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/354480/
Developer burnout was the reason given. But I wouldn't be surprised if funds burnout was part of it, too, since it has been a problem in the past.
Judging by the $300k minimum goal listed on the Kickstarter, they still have a budget higher than indie levels.
The lead developer at Arcengames did an AMA on reddit the other day, and I asked him about AI War II. He gave a considerable response:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/5746xk/ask_arcen_anything_ai_war_2_kickstarter_and/d8p8cmj
I really hope this makes it. I love the original.
Chris discusses the game in quite some depth on the latest 3MA
https://www.idlethumbs.net/3ma/episodes/chris-park-and-arcen-games
Plus here's the status of the headtalker campaign, to help spread the word...
https://headtalker.com/campaigns/ai-war-2-kickstarter/
Chris Park, does a podcast with Tom Chick on QuarterToThree (Qt3)
http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2016/10/27/qt3-games-podcast-chris-park-ai-war-ii/
and a two parter with Josh Bycer on Game Wisdom podcast:
http://game-wisdom.com/podcast/arcen-games-ai-wars-2-p1
http://game-wisdom.com/podcast/arcen-games-ai-wars-2-p2
Original kickstarter cancelled, new revised and revamped, more conservative proposition for AI War II now launched..
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arcengames/ai-war-ii-0
Looking good....i think they'll reach the 3d goal (90'000) before the end. :bd:
Chris Park explains the game's concept(s) in layman's terms:
I gotta admit, his enthusiasm is both obvious and infectious. I'm now seriously tempted to donate to the this project. Gods help me...
Hope it doesn't get put on hold, in the middle of development, to make a "twin stick shooter". :-\