GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: tgb on October 18, 2016, 10:18:08 PM

Title: Concealed Intent
Post by: tgb on October 18, 2016, 10:18:08 PM
I heard good things about this tactical space battle thingy, and since Steam has it on sale I decided to pick it up, figuring it will help fill the time until the double whammy of Stellaris and Civ VI.

It's quite good, and plays an awful lot like Frozen Synapse, but with space ships. Here's a pretty good demo by the developer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czbgsBdT-Bg
Title: Re: Concealed Intent
Post by: AndyBrown on October 21, 2016, 03:18:10 PM
You know, this isn't bad!  A sort of turn-based Homeworld without the immersive back story (There is an SP campaign, which is OK, but you can't miss that one-man-dev-team vibe).  The guts of the game is the skirmish mode which can be either SP or MP.

Interesting mechanic.  Defence is based primarily on electro-magnetic signature.  What you do this turn determines how much of a target you're going to be next turn.  Launching drones, communicating with them, using weapons and active sensors, and movement all increase signature.  Decoys, chaff etc, ECM and doing nothing reduce it.

Probably not a lot of replay value.  Unless you and a mate really get into it, there's two or three days entertainment here, although it could work as a regular half-hour time-killer if you like the subject matter.

Definitely worth the USD9 (?) it's currently on sale for (40% off) until 25 Oct.
Title: Re: Concealed Intent
Post by: Philippe on November 02, 2017, 01:03:19 PM
This looks very interesting.  I just discovered it and it's not on sale right now, so I'll wait until later.

My two pet peeves about space games are that they aren't really three dimensional and the planets don't really orbit.

I've only seen one game where the planets and mooms actually orbit, but that was back in the nineties.

What I like about this is that the game really is in three dimensions.  There's a plane with a grid running through the play area, but everything seems to be above or below it.
Title: Re: Concealed Intent
Post by: Nefaro on April 23, 2018, 06:34:50 PM
This is on a Steam sale for $2.99.

I'm considering since it's turn-based.

Anyone have further impressions to give?  I suppose they're just canned missions, but if the game is fun it may be worth a try at that price.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/374150/Concealed_Intent/
Title: Re: Concealed Intent
Post by: RyanE on April 23, 2018, 07:58:52 PM
I missed this one.  I'll get it just because it has an actual and functional z-axis.
Title: Re: Concealed Intent
Post by: -budd- on April 23, 2018, 09:28:28 PM
I read that the Dev released a patch so you can watch the last turn,end game replay. Dev stated no more work on the game, unless bugs crop up.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/374150#scrollTop=0