GrogHeads Forum

IRL (In Real Life) => General Discussion => Topic started by: JudgeDredd on October 24, 2016, 04:00:31 PM

Title: Did this today...
Post by: JudgeDredd on October 24, 2016, 04:00:31 PM
Took an image of a Spitfire I took at Duxford Meet the Fighters
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1160.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fq499%2Fwmar1967%2FDSC_0952_1_zpsdi55qhle.jpg&hash=6c2138c2da2ca9fb617309fda0d15da002e6b43d) (http://s1160.photobucket.com/user/wmar1967/media/DSC_0952_1_zpsdi55qhle.jpg.html)

Grey scaled it, created a layer and edited to show some colour
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1160.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fq499%2Fwmar1967%2FDSC_0952_zpst6vataos.jpg&hash=8ccb97c41de1faaf86d5e1fdf84c6f132d85d3c2) (http://s1160.photobucket.com/user/wmar1967/media/DSC_0952_zpst6vataos.jpg.html)

I love this technique - it creates some striking images imo...this is my first attempt. Now I know how to do it, others will follow
Title: Re: Did this today...
Post by: W8taminute on October 24, 2016, 04:28:24 PM
That's pretty impressive.  I have always liked the splotches of color in a black and white photo.  If you make the black and white portions a wee bit more grainy and darker that photo could almost pass of as a period piece.   O0
Title: Re: Did this today...
Post by: mirth on October 24, 2016, 04:35:24 PM
 Cool  O0
Title: Re: Did this today...
Post by: Atilla60 on October 24, 2016, 05:18:03 PM
Beautiful  O0
Title: Re: Did this today...
Post by: JudgeDredd on October 24, 2016, 05:25:25 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on October 24, 2016, 04:28:24 PM
That's pretty impressive.  I have always liked the splotches of color in a black and white photo.  If you make the black and white portions a wee bit more grainy and darker that photo could almost pass of as a period piece.   O0
What about this?

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1160.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fq499%2Fwmar1967%2FDSC_0952_Fog_zpsal0o2kkm.jpg&hash=be9725870a9871675d67bec8eff4be195ca6276d) (http://s1160.photobucket.com/user/wmar1967/media/DSC_0952_Fog_zpsal0o2kkm.jpg.html)

I'm no artist...not at all. I really like the B&W photos with a colour aspect and plan to do some of my kids...so I was using this to try it out. The tools in Gimp are bewildering to me and it's trial and error.
Title: Re: Did this today...
Post by: mirth on October 24, 2016, 05:29:16 PM
You managed that in GIMP?  Well done!
Title: Re: Did this today...
Post by: Staggerwing on October 24, 2016, 05:33:01 PM
Bravo!

What tools did you use to isolate the colored (coloured?) parts of the insignia for importing into or creating a new layer?
Title: Re: Did this today...
Post by: mirth on October 24, 2016, 05:34:31 PM
The Magic Wand?
Title: Re: Did this today...
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 24, 2016, 05:34:48 PM
You did that today?  Oh yeah?

Well, I returned my empties AND I went to the park and yelled at squirrels, so there.
Title: Re: Did this today...
Post by: mirth on October 24, 2016, 05:37:24 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 24, 2016, 05:34:48 PM
You did that today?  Oh yeah?

Well, I returned my empties AND I went to the park and yelled at squirrels, so there.

That's not a bad day either.
Title: Re: Did this today...
Post by: Staggerwing on October 24, 2016, 05:39:55 PM
Quote from: mirth on October 24, 2016, 05:34:31 PM
The Magic Wand?

I can't get good results with the wand.

Err... I mean...
Title: Re: Did this today...
Post by: JudgeDredd on October 24, 2016, 05:40:50 PM
Or this one? Too much?

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1160.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fq499%2Fwmar1967%2FUntitled_zpskcexgdbg.jpg&hash=cd7ed2d5241d007f71f34e83c634b28468d4047c) (http://s1160.photobucket.com/user/wmar1967/media/Untitled_zpskcexgdbg.jpg.html)
Title: Re: Did this today...
Post by: JudgeDredd on October 24, 2016, 05:44:07 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on October 24, 2016, 05:33:01 PM
Bravo!

What tools did you use to isolate the colored (coloured?) parts of the insignia for importing into or creating a new layer?
Thanks all.

Basically, used this method

https://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Selective_Color/

It involved a greyscale layer and then careful brushing
Title: Re: Did this today...
Post by: mirth on October 24, 2016, 05:47:14 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on October 24, 2016, 05:39:55 PM
Quote from: mirth on October 24, 2016, 05:34:31 PM
The Magic Wand?

I can't get good results with the wand.

Err... I mean...

Clearly you aren't using it properly.
Title: Re: Did this today...
Post by: mirth on October 24, 2016, 05:47:43 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 24, 2016, 05:40:50 PM
Or this one? Too much?

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1160.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fq499%2Fwmar1967%2FUntitled_zpskcexgdbg.jpg&hash=cd7ed2d5241d007f71f34e83c634b28468d4047c) (http://s1160.photobucket.com/user/wmar1967/media/Untitled_zpskcexgdbg.jpg.html)

I like!
Title: Re: Did this today...
Post by: Staggerwing on October 24, 2016, 06:07:10 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 24, 2016, 05:44:07 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on October 24, 2016, 05:33:01 PM
Bravo!

What tools did you use to isolate the colored (coloured?) parts of the insignia for importing into or creating a new layer?
Thanks all.

Basically, used this method

https://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Selective_Color/

It involved a greyscale layer and then careful brushing

Bookmarked- Thanks!
Title: Re: Did this today...
Post by: mirth on October 24, 2016, 06:11:28 PM
They've come along way with the tutorials.
Title: Re: Did this today...
Post by: Bison on October 24, 2016, 08:17:52 PM
Nice pic JD!
Title: Re: Did this today...
Post by: DoctorQuest on October 24, 2016, 08:43:33 PM
+1

Keep them coming!
Title: Re: Did this today...
Post by: W8taminute on October 25, 2016, 11:05:23 AM
Quote from: mirth on October 24, 2016, 05:47:43 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 24, 2016, 05:40:50 PM
Or this one? Too much?

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1160.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fq499%2Fwmar1967%2FUntitled_zpskcexgdbg.jpg&hash=cd7ed2d5241d007f71f34e83c634b28468d4047c) (http://s1160.photobucket.com/user/wmar1967/media/Untitled_zpskcexgdbg.jpg.html)

I like!

Awesome!  That's pretty close to what you could find in an old history textbook.   O0
Title: Re: Did this today...
Post by: JudgeDredd on October 25, 2016, 11:29:22 AM
Thank you all. I will be perfecting this skill over time to create some "arty farty" pics of my kids.  O0