GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: AchillesLastStand on October 27, 2016, 08:16:19 PM

Title: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: AchillesLastStand on October 27, 2016, 08:16:19 PM
http://store.steampowered.com/app/485980/

Real Time Strategy with a high degree of realism. The game based on a true story.

About This Game
This war has been going on for a long time, and it's hard to say when it will be over. We got so used to it that news from Syria has become trivial. We've even already forgotten how it all started, and where the roots of the terrible terror lie – the terror that swept across Europe in recent years.

Syria is all over the news, and it's become a subject of many documentaries. We, however, want to show the story through the lens of the game and don't let the word "game" mislead you. This game does not claim to be a history lesson, but it shows the course of the war in all its seriousness through the major milestones, from the first days till the latest important victories over terror.
What kind of a game is it?
◾Syrian Warfare is a real time strategy with a high degree of realism. This game is not about a base construction or units production. The player will have to determine their forces characteristics before they go into action. And during the mission, they would be able to select reinforcements in order to support the troopers.

◾The troops and machinery crews move from mission to mission and gain experience, which helps them increase their effectiveness.

◾Trophies captured by the player on the battlefield can be used throughout the whole campaign.

◾Importantly enough, there are no «life bars» for vehicles in the game. Damages are calculated by taking into account the protection module and the power of adverse factors. Inflicted damages affect the functioning of the module.

◾In the battlefield, it is impossible to repair the armor, but one can repair the modules by using a limited stock of spare parts. Ammunition and fuel are also limited.

◾A system of high-quality physical demolition of buildings and other objects is used in the game (it does not only look spectacular, but it has a serious influence on the tactics during the missions, especially in urban areas).

◾The game has a wide set of tactical possibilities: The storming of buildings, usage of smokescreens, infantry lift by helicopters and APC/IFV, air strike calls, capturing of trophy weapons and equipment, usage of heat flares and active defense complexes.

◾And of course the story itself. We will try to show the conflict, not from a point of view of a general, located somewhere at the 'top'. No, it will be a story of a man, who lived in the country that descended into hell. A story of struggle, loss and regained hope.


Looks like at this point there isn't a skirmish/multiplayer mode because the developers don't have the resources.
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: JasonPratt on October 27, 2016, 08:38:18 PM
Promptly wishlisted.  O0
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: Jarhead0331 on February 21, 2017, 06:15:02 AM
This game was released today. I'm cautiously optimistic. Definitely not expecting much, but hopeful for the best.

Stay tuned for impressions.

EDIT: Initial impressions...Wow. Extremely political. The game is clearly pro-government and anti-rebel. The first mission takes place in Aleppo right at the beginning of the civil war. You control some local police forces who are confronted by rebels who want to enter the city. They try to reason with your chief by saying that he will be fine if he cooperates, and only the Christians in the the Town will be "cut up". There are hints that the rebels are being supplied by wealthy foreign governments. When the chief refuses to let the rebels in the town, he is gunned down and your first mission is to hold police HQ until reinforcements arrive.

I look forward to seeing the geography deteriorate as the campaign goes on. Destructible terrain seems pretty complex and detailed. Pathing so far seems good. Voice acting is a bit corny for such a serious topic, but I imagine that is due to the translation from Russian. Yes, its a game made by Russians apparently, which explains the pro-government bias.
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: jomni on February 21, 2017, 07:17:27 AM
Do you end up fighting ISIS too?  That would be great.

Vehicles have hit points right?
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: Hofstadter on February 21, 2017, 07:18:29 AM
"What kind of arab would I be if i didnt have an rpg buried in my backyard"

OH MY GOD
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: Jarhead0331 on February 21, 2017, 07:22:47 AM
Quote from: jomni on February 21, 2017, 07:17:27 AM
Do you end up fighting ISIS too?  That would be great.

Vehicles have hit points right?

You are definitely fighting anti-government forces which includes groups aligned with ISIS. It remains to be seen whether combatants will be identified as belonging specifically to that group.

I do not believe any unit has "hit points" per se. Armor, ballistics and damage are all modeled to some degree.  Vehicles have modules, which seem to be similar to components. These take damage which in turn, impacts functionality.
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: jomni on February 21, 2017, 07:47:12 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 21, 2017, 07:22:47 AM
I do not believe any unit has "hit points" per se. Armor, ballistics and damage are all modeled to some degree.  Vehicles have modules, which seem to be similar to components. These take damage which in turn, impacts functionality.

That sounds promising.
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: Hofstadter on February 21, 2017, 07:52:18 AM
Well I had a go at the first mission.

Its pretty enjoyable. You can use the control panel for axtions just as smoke grenades, formations, choosing facing in a building.

I borked the first mission though because I couldnt protect this bus....no idea where the hell that was. And I didnt know there was no autosave so I have to go through that again
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: Jarhead0331 on February 21, 2017, 10:09:00 AM
One other significant point for those who may hesitate because it is an RTS. It is pausible and orders can be given while paused.
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: Barthheart on February 21, 2017, 11:31:32 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 21, 2017, 10:09:00 AM
One other significant point for those who may hesitate because it is an RTS. It is pausible and orders can be given while paused.

That's not making it easier to resist!   :P
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: mikeck on February 21, 2017, 11:38:24 AM
Can you save mid-mission?
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: Jarhead0331 on February 21, 2017, 11:50:23 AM
^Yup.
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: Tpek on February 21, 2017, 01:43:36 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that releasing a game about this still ongoing and utterly horrible situation right now is inappropriate?
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: -budd- on February 21, 2017, 01:49:55 PM
Quote from: Tpek on February 21, 2017, 01:43:36 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that releasing a game about this still ongoing and utterly horrible situation right now is inappropriate?
Nope, it's given me pause, that and I have enough games.
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: Jarhead0331 on February 21, 2017, 01:58:31 PM
Quote from: Tpek on February 21, 2017, 01:43:36 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that releasing a game about this still ongoing and utterly horrible situation right now is inappropriate?

Its not the subject matter that strikes me as inappropriate. Why should a game covering this war be any different than a game covering WWI, WWII, Vietnam, Iraq or Afghanistan, or any other war for that matter. The passage of time is irrelevant to the suffering those wars caused.

What strikes me as off a bit is the fact that parts of the game come across as a blatant form of propaganda. There is a clear bias that was recognizable to me almost immediately. That is also what makes this game unique as a potential tool of political coercion. Very interesting times we are living in as gamers.
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: MikeGER on February 21, 2017, 02:02:17 PM
Quote from: Tpek on February 21, 2017, 01:43:36 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that releasing a game about this still ongoing and utterly horrible situation right now is inappropriate?

hush  hush    ...don't want get Afghanistan11 (still ongoing and utterly horrible situation) delayed by some PC interferences  ^-^

and we wargame with DCS, COANO, Battlefront (Black Sea) and SBPro actual and even imminent near future conflicts too ...so we pots cant calling the kettle all to black

even popular board games  like DVG Warfighter is about ongoing things, when i give it a second thought 
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: MikeGER on February 21, 2017, 02:14:42 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 21, 2017, 01:58:31 PM
Very interesting times we are living in as gamers.

Construction Machines Simulator 2016
http://store.steampowered.com/app/355330/

...we will have a Mexcian Wall DLC for this soon   ;D
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: Barthheart on February 21, 2017, 02:19:06 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 21, 2017, 01:58:31 PM
...
What strikes me as off a bit is the fact that parts of the game come across as a blatant form of propaganda. There is a clear bias that was recognizable to me almost immediately. That is also what makes this game unique as a potential tool of political coercion. Very interesting times we are living in as gamers.

Interesting point, the game being propaganda.... does the money made from this go directly to Putin's War Fund? Serious question.....  ???
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: JasonPratt on February 21, 2017, 04:24:04 PM
Or even indirectly.
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: jomni on February 21, 2017, 05:31:17 PM
So can you play the rebel side?  Is there a story about their ideals and aspirations?
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: Jarhead0331 on February 21, 2017, 05:51:46 PM
Quote from: jomni on February 21, 2017, 05:31:17 PM
So can you play the rebel side?  Is there a story about their ideals and aspirations?

No. I do not believe you can play as rebel forces. Government forces only. The developers are not coy about their pro-government bias. They constantly refer to the rebels as "terrorists".

Just look at the description of the game on steam...

Quote
This war has been going on for a long time, and it's hard to say when it will be over. We got so used to it that news from Syria has become trivial. We've even already forgotten how it all started, and where the roots of the terrible terror lie – the terror that swept across Europe in recent years.

Syria is all over the news, and it's become a subject of many documentaries. We, however, want to show the story through the lens of the game and don't let the word "game" mislead you. This game does not claim to be a history lesson, but it shows the course of the war in all its seriousness through the major milestones, from the first days till the latest important victories over terror.
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: Gusington on February 21, 2017, 06:54:12 PM
I can't put too much credit in to that quote if they are only portraying one side of the war.
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: GeneralHawk on February 21, 2017, 09:14:52 PM
Picked it up.  A ton of fun.  Very real sense of fighting chaos and the breaking apart of a state.   Setting aside the political stuff, it's worth it.  Not a AAA release, but given what they had to work with, it works.  It's fascinating title, off the beaten path.   30+ yrs of gaming and plenty of topics can be interpreted as difficult.   I tend to separate gaming and real world events/history etc.  Advise this approach here...anyway..look forward to thoughts on the game itself!  Something special about this little title!
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: Jarhead0331 on February 21, 2017, 10:20:25 PM
I agree that this is a very unique game in several different ways. First, from the gameplay perspective, it is not very often that we get an RTS that incorporates authentic real world concepts. As a result, the action is intense and like GeneralHawk said, there is a real sensation of chaos and urgency to the combat. I literally winced when suicide trucks and cars started detonating near my fortified positions. The destructive terrain is phenomenal. The developers have really accomplished something notable here with the gameplay...but...

I'm really struggling with the politics. Even though I tend to think that Damascus rule is preferable to the current situation, the game is so shamelessly pro Assad. I struggle with the obvious anti-west element and the open suggestion that the US and NATO is supporting and arming terrorists. I also struggle with the notion that the troops you are commanding and who are cast as the heroes, fought against Israel. The plot line has you defending mosques and working with Imams to rescue civilians.  I dunno...it may be a bridge too far for me in terms of propaganda.  I really do not recall anything like this in recent memory.

I will continue playing and posting impressions. I also plan on collecting my thoughts and either writing about the game or doing some kind of deep, Freudian, existential Let's play video.

As an aside, although the enemies have only been identified loosely as terrorists and rebels, their flag appears to be the flag of ISIS. 
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: Gusington on February 21, 2017, 10:41:14 PM
This is a first here IIRC when a game with such clear cut political views is also seriously high quality.
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: Hofstadter on February 22, 2017, 12:25:11 AM
I think that flag is Al Nusra not Isis
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: Jarhead0331 on February 22, 2017, 12:52:03 AM
Quote from: Hofstadter on February 22, 2017, 12:25:11 AM
I think that flag is Al Nusra not Isis

Roger that...
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: SirAndrewD on February 22, 2017, 04:39:34 PM
Reading this thread led me to imagine this game having a loading screen where Assad is pictured sheltering huddled Syrian children clinging to his ankles while he is  punching an ISIS fighter that looks suspiciously like Barrack Obama.

Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: Hofstadter on February 23, 2017, 01:54:23 AM
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: Ian C on February 23, 2017, 04:42:52 AM
From that video: https://youtu.be/p-qyC9DvMJ0?t=148 - 'Oh, also some weird stuff happening...false positives ..opening internet browser' etc.

I think I'll pass on this one.
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: Hofstadter on February 23, 2017, 05:03:25 AM
Quote from: Ian C on February 23, 2017, 04:42:52 AM
From that video: https://youtu.be/p-qyC9DvMJ0?t=148 - 'Oh, also some weird stuff happening...false positives ..opening internet browser' etc.

I think I'll pass on this one.

Just to clarify, I was talking about the antivirus avast (may have been speaking too fast) and it had some weird glitch thing where normal files showed up as being a virus, its all over the avast forums. Nothing to do with the game itself

It delayed the release of that video for ages because I was too busy spazzing the hell out about it thinking my computer was on the verge of death. Decided to mention it just in case a viewer had it too.
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: Jarhead0331 on February 23, 2017, 07:08:11 AM
Quote from: Ian C on February 23, 2017, 04:42:52 AM
From that video: https://youtu.be/p-qyC9DvMJ0?t=148 - 'Oh, also some weird stuff happening...false positives ..opening internet browser' etc.

I think I'll pass on this one.

I have not experienced any of those issues. it really shouldn't be the deciding factor to avoid this interesting title.
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: Freyland on February 23, 2017, 11:18:20 AM
Disagree. Given the developers Russian background and the overtly politically influenced nature of the title, coupled with Russia cyber activity of late, I think it's a great reason to pass on the title. To each his own, of course.
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: Destraex on February 23, 2017, 06:08:39 PM
This is single player only which immediately takes it off my radar unfortunately.
However the politic bias has peaked my interest, I remember when Combat Mission Black Sea came out it was a little controversial.
But since it was a pure wargame nobody really blinked. But this full blown over the top political drama is propaganda on a whole new level.
Because it is not subtle it would be easy to ignore. It would be an experience just to see how far this goes. I wonder if steam knows.
There are a lot of complaints on the steam forum for it by people wanting it banned.

It seems to have health bars unlike the description and seems to be the GEM2 engine from men of war 2?

I like the city scrapes especially. They look just like a lot of footage I have seen. Tanks in streets...

Could it really be used to radicalise the young ruffians who are inclined that way, especially in Russia. Or even change the minds of English speaking peoples?
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: glen55 on February 23, 2017, 06:16:15 PM
Quote from: Freyland on February 23, 2017, 11:18:20 AM
Disagree. Given the developers Russian background and the overtly politically influenced nature of the title, coupled with Russia cyber activity of late, I think it's a great reason to pass on the title. To each his own, of course.

Interesting point. I would normally tend to ignore and just "play through" the political bias of the developer, but this is food for thought. I don't wanta be a Trojan horse for further Russian cyber-infiltration.
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: Jarhead0331 on February 23, 2017, 07:11:41 PM
Quote from: Destraex on February 23, 2017, 06:08:39 PM
This is single player only which immediately takes it off my radar unfortunately.
However the politic bias has peaked my interest, I remember when Combat Mission Black Sea came out it was a little controversial.
But since it was a pure wargame nobody really blinked. But this full blown over the top political drama is propaganda on a whole new level.
Because it is not subtle it would be easy to ignore. It would be an experience just to see how far this goes. I wonder if steam knows.
There are a lot of complaints on the steam forum for it by people wanting it banned.

It seems to have health bars unlike the description and seems to be the GEM2 engine from men of war 2?

I like the city scrapes especially. They look just like a lot of footage I have seen. Tanks in streets...

Could it really be used to radicalise the young ruffians who are inclined that way, especially in Russia. Or even change the minds of English speaking peoples?

You're right. infantry do have health bars, but vehicles do not.

What makes you think it's the gem2 engine? It looks and feels different.
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: -budd- on February 28, 2017, 04:24:45 PM
Interview with developer. 

http://www.wargamer.com/news/war-and-realism-an-interview-with-the-creators-of-syrian-warfare/
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: trek on March 01, 2017, 02:12:40 PM
As of today the game has been pulled from Steam. Not due to content but supposedly copyright infringement.
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: mirth on March 01, 2017, 02:25:11 PM
Begun the Propaganda Wars have....

https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/5wvrl0/strategy_game_syrian_warfare_removed_from_steam/
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: JasonPratt on March 01, 2017, 06:00:34 PM
The developer could be in trouble: he tried to get permission to use Game Factory Interactive's "Warfare" series (2 games set in Iraq and Tajikistan), didn't get the permission (or even an answer), basically used the engine and title (which together does not help an appeal to the generic title otherwise) with a lot of upgrades. Trying to buy the rights to use the engine, and failing to get a response, does not grant rights to use the engine.  ::)

The proper resolution would be profit sharing of course -- since the game is getting good gameplay reviews plus controversy marketing, so I gather it's selling well. But I expect GFI will be in the driver seat there and if they want the game shut down, well, that would be heartbreaking but that's how technical property rights work.


Note: I own Warfare and its sequel Warfare Reloaded myself through Gamersgate although I've never played either of them yet. Too many shiny things...!
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: Jarhead0331 on March 01, 2017, 06:54:17 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on March 01, 2017, 06:00:34 PM
The developer could be in trouble: he tried to get permission to use Game Factory Interactive's "Warfare" series (2 games set in Iraq and Tajikistan), didn't get the permission (or even an answer), basically used the engine and title (which together does not help an appeal to the generic title otherwise) with a lot of upgrades. Trying to buy the rights to use the engine, and failing to get a response, does not grant rights to use the engine.  ::)

The proper resolution would be profit sharing of course -- since the game is getting good gameplay reviews plus controversy marketing, so I gather it's selling well. But I expect GFI will be in the driver seat there and if they want the game shut down, well, that would be heartbreaking but that's how technical property rights work.


Note: I own Warfare and its sequel Warfare Reloaded myself through Gamersgate although I've never played either of them yet. Too many shiny things...!

Where did you get this information? The developer has claimed to be involved in the Warfare series and have people on the team who developed the Warfare engine.

I have both games and reviewed them favorably back in the day.
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: JasonPratt on March 02, 2017, 11:57:34 AM
Ever since the takedown, the Steam thread announcing it has had a lot of Russian commentary (to prevent people from mining quotes easily for web troll attacks). Someone put one of the longer posts from the dev through translation software, and came back with the dev's explanation that he had tried to buy permission to use the engine and never received a reply. I'm at the wrong computer to find a link atm, but I'll see if the post is still there.
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: Jarhead0331 on March 02, 2017, 12:00:30 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on March 02, 2017, 11:57:34 AM
Ever since the takedown, the Steam thread announcing it has had a lot of Russian commentary (to prevent people from mining quotes easily for web troll attacks). Someone put one of the longer posts from the dev through translation software, and came back with the dev's explanation that he had tried to buy permission to use the engine and never received a reply. I'm at the wrong computer to find a link atm, but I'll see if the post is still there.

Interesting...the plot thickens. I really hope they sort this out because I'd like to see the game and series expanded. Especially with a skirmish mode. It really looks to me like some idiot with a beef over the content made good on his threats to hurt the game and have it removed, most likely by filing a false copyright infringement claim.
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: JasonPratt on March 03, 2017, 09:13:58 AM
Also hoping that's the case.  O0
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: Jarhead0331 on May 05, 2017, 11:21:46 PM
First DLC has been announced. Release scheduled for end of summer 2017. Looks like a new campaign with a bunch of new weapons and units. Finally, some Russian forces are going to be in the OOB. Still no word on a skirmish mode or mission editor, which is what I'm really hoping for...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/635030/Syrian_Warfare_Return_to_Palmyra/ (http://store.steampowered.com/app/635030/Syrian_Warfare_Return_to_Palmyra/)
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: Apocalypse 31 on June 26, 2017, 10:44:46 PM
I discounted this game, but made the purchase after watching some videos.

I am really surprised with how intense and fun this game can be, and I'm actually blown away with some of the features like the fully destructive environment, and intense close quarters fighting (with kung-fu animations!). On my first mission, I used a fireteam to provide a base of fire and smoke while a second fireteam assaulted a building and started kung-fu kicking insurgents in the face. I love when real-world tactics can be applied in games.

Overall, Syrian Warfare feels like the realism and intensity of Combat Mission meets the easy and fun play-ability of Company of Heroes.
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: Gusington on June 27, 2017, 07:44:09 AM
Can the player really kung fu fight insurgents?
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: jomni on July 10, 2017, 01:34:08 AM
Finished two missions and I have to say that this game is really engrossing.  It's not so much a twitchy RTS.  And amount of micromanagement is just about right to let you focus on real tactics. Men of War series (including Call to Arms) is more twitchy than this.

One question: in the reinforcement screen what's the difference between taking units from garrison and reserves?
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: mirth on July 10, 2017, 05:18:39 AM
Quote from: Gusington on June 27, 2017, 07:44:09 AM
Can the player really kung fu fight insurgents?

Is Kwai Chang Caine in this game? That would make it a must buy!
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: Jarhead0331 on November 20, 2017, 07:43:39 AM
I've revisited this title since the release of the first DLC pack and I again wanted to highly recommend it. The missions can be very challenging, but they are always very intense and just about as chaotic and destructive as you'd expect the War in Syrian cities to be. I've made it deeper into the original campaign and my OOB has really expanded. I'm working regularly with army units equipped with BMPs, BRDMs and the occasional tank. Initially, you had mostly police and technicals. While having these vehicles is great on the one hand, it in a way is more challenging too because they are extremely valuable and easy to lose in urban warfare, so you have to take more risks with your infantry to support them. Additionally, they burn through fuel and many different types of ammo very quickly, so supply becomes much more important too.

The terrain system is really amazingly too. Man...these cities come apart. The physics system and destruction of buildings is really impressive.

Anyway, the politicing is still a drag. But I try my best to ignore it and take it for what it is.

By the way, I've only experimented briefly with the DLC, but there are Russians and they are pretty badass.

If there is one downside to the game, it's that there is still no skirmish mode. It's all scripted campaign missions. Many people are begging the developer for a skirmish option, so we'll see what happens.
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: jomni on November 20, 2017, 05:14:41 PM
Thanks for reminding me about this game.  I was actually deep into the campaign but stopped.
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: GeneralHawk on November 21, 2017, 08:26:35 AM
Jomni, hover over the title and it is explained.  Basically the garrison units even if you don't use them in the mission are carried over as part of your force into the next mission.  This really adds a nice force management layer....if you move forces to the reserves they won't be part of available force pool in the next mission necessarily.  Vanguard is what you deploy/have on the ground and combined with garrison equals what you carry over.  This means that managed correctly you can save forces in garrison with extra points you may not use/need during a given mission. 

Quote from: jomni on July 10, 2017, 01:34:08 AM
Finished two missions and I have to say that this game is really engrossing.  It's not so much a twitchy RTS.  And amount of micromanagement is just about right to let you focus on real tactics. Men of War series (including Call to Arms) is more twitchy than this.

One question: in the reinforcement screen what's the difference between taking units from garrison and reserves?
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: Jarhead0331 on November 21, 2017, 09:51:01 AM
I'm struggling with the fourth mission of the original campaign, but I am having an absolute blast with it. Its 2015 on the outskirts of Aleppo.  This was a low point for the pro-government Assad forces. I've finally been entrusted with some really legitimate military assets, but there are just so many of the enemy and the mission objectives have my forces moving all over the map. Some of the missions are time sensitive and I just don't have enough men to be everywhere at once, especially when there are large pockets of terrorists prepared to ambush all along the way.

Seriously, I haven't played an RTS this intense in a long time. I love the MoW series, but this game just has an air of authenticity for some reason.
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: Barthheart on November 21, 2017, 09:59:50 AM
I hate the truck bombs in this game!  :pullhair:
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: Jarhead0331 on November 21, 2017, 10:09:13 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on November 21, 2017, 09:59:50 AM
I hate the truck bombs in this game!  :pullhair:

Yup. Suicide bombers definitely suck, but when they get blasted before they reach your lines, they are a lot of fun.
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: GeneralHawk on November 21, 2017, 01:38:46 PM
haha same feeling...just a joy of tension to play....great game.



Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 21, 2017, 09:51:01 AM
I'm struggling with the fourth mission of the original campaign, but I am having an absolute blast with it. Its 2015 on the outskirts of Aleppo.  This was a low point for the pro-government Assad forces. I've finally been entrusted with some really legitimate military assets, but there are just so many of the enemy and the mission objectives have my forces moving all over the map. Some of the missions are time sensitive and I just don't have enough men to be everywhere at once, especially when there are large pockets of terrorists prepared to ambush all along the way.

Seriously, I haven't played an RTS this intense in a long time. I love the MoW series, but this game just has an air of authenticity for some reason.
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: Jarhead0331 on November 22, 2017, 10:38:07 PM
Holy crap! I finally beat that 4th campaign mission. Poor town...we really did level it to the ground. Over 560 Daesh fighters killed with over 33 vehicles destroyed. Our forces suffered 33 KIA and 7 vehicles destroyed. Two squads of Russian Marines showed up toward the later half of the battle and really tore $hit up.

Next mission has me moving into Damascus...its going to be ugly.

Great great stuff here...
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: Gusington on November 23, 2017, 12:36:05 PM
On sale right now at Steam for 50% off...it's in my cart for post-Thanksgiving purchase.
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: mirth on November 23, 2017, 12:58:08 PM
^tempting
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: Gusington on November 23, 2017, 01:03:30 PM
Yeah - it helps that I don't play many games set in contemporary conflicts.
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: Jarhead0331 on November 23, 2017, 03:23:18 PM
Its a very challenging game, but truly exceptional. I can't recommend it enough.
Title: Re: Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016
Post by: jomni on November 23, 2017, 05:17:53 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 23, 2017, 03:23:18 PM
Its a very challenging game, but truly exceptional. I can't recommend it enough.

Yup.  Keep saving.