GrogHeads Forum

IRL (In Real Life) => Music, TV, Movies => Topic started by: Nefaro on November 03, 2016, 11:29:16 PM

Title: Starship Troopers - Also Getting A "Reboot"
Post by: Nefaro on November 03, 2016, 11:29:16 PM
Columbia Pictures reportedly doing another Starship Troopers movie (http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1581320/starship-troopers-is-getting-rebooted-find-out-who-is-involved).

Supposedly using Heinlen's excellent book as the basis.  As opposed to the previous movie that just shoehorned an unrelated movie script into that universe.



While I'd much rather see something much more like the dark & desperate interplanetary war setting of the book, I'll admit that I still enjoyed the first movie due to the old 1940-50s style cheesy commercial satirization & such.  It was a fun indulgence, despite the misleading title.  The sequels were all complete shit, IIRC.

But will be interested to see just how much they pull from the short novel, which was obviously a big influence in later dark sci-fi fiction and games.  Warhammer 40k obviously drawing influences from it, as an example. 

I could only imagine it will be a an attempt at a gritty sci-fi war movie, told from the viewpoint of a power-armored orbital dropping grunt.  But who knows, when it comes to Hollywood?  From what little I've read of the writers' past repertoires, this could be another anger-inducing reboot, too.  Crossed fingers, once again.    :dreamer:
Title: Re: Starship Troopers - Also Getting A "Reboot"
Post by: JasonPratt on November 04, 2016, 08:22:15 AM
The animated series based on the movie milieu was pretty good.
Title: Re: Starship Troopers - Also Getting A "Reboot"
Post by: bayonetbrant on November 04, 2016, 08:25:19 AM
are they actually going to make the book into a movie, or just "reboot" the movie?
Title: Re: Starship Troopers - Also Getting A "Reboot"
Post by: bayonetbrant on November 04, 2016, 08:26:12 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on November 03, 2016, 11:29:16 PM
I'll admit that I still enjoyed the first movie due to the old 1940-50s style cheesy commercial satirization & such.  It was a fun indulgence, despite the misleading title. 

as a brainless popcorn-eating action flick, it wasn't half-bad, but it wasn't Starship Troopers
Title: Re: Starship Troopers - Also Getting A "Reboot"
Post by: bbmike on November 04, 2016, 09:13:44 AM
All of the great books out there and we get another reboot. Why not make a movie out of Forstchen's Rally Cry or something else that hasn't been done yet?
Title: Re: Starship Troopers - Also Getting A "Reboot"
Post by: mirth on November 04, 2016, 09:20:33 AM
I think Rally Cry was optioned at one point, but nothing came out of it.
Title: Re: Starship Troopers - Also Getting A "Reboot"
Post by: Martok on November 04, 2016, 12:15:32 PM
I'm still waiting for the Foundation movie (or TV series -- I'm not picky). 
Title: Re: Starship Troopers - Also Getting A "Reboot"
Post by: bbmike on November 04, 2016, 12:36:04 PM
Quote from: Martok on November 04, 2016, 12:15:32 PM
I'm still waiting for the Foundation movie (or TV series -- I'm not picky).

Careful, you saw what they did to I, Robot.  :buck2:
Title: Re: Starship Troopers - Also Getting A "Reboot"
Post by: Martok on November 04, 2016, 01:41:03 PM
I don't know what you're talking about. 
Title: Re: Starship Troopers - Also Getting A "Reboot"
Post by: bbmike on November 04, 2016, 02:02:43 PM
Well, if you read Asimov's I, Robot and saw the movie with Will Smith called I, Robot, it might make a little more sense. Unless my sarcasm filter is off again. 
Title: Re: Starship Troopers - Also Getting A "Reboot"
Post by: Uberhaus on November 04, 2016, 02:44:15 PM
Verhoeven should have made the film of Joe Haldeman's The Forever War  I have nothing nice to say about his version of Starship Trooopers.  Hopefully, I will about this new film.
Title: Re: Starship Troopers - Also Getting A "Reboot"
Post by: Staggerwing on November 04, 2016, 06:20:39 PM
The Forever War is a scifi/war film that needs to be made like no other before it, but needs a director and production company like no other before them to pull it off.
Title: Re: Starship Troopers - Also Getting A "Reboot"
Post by: Uberhaus on November 05, 2016, 03:32:55 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on November 04, 2016, 06:20:39 PM
The Forever War is a scifi/war film that needs to be made like no other before it, but needs a director and production company like no other before them to pull it off.

Ridley Scott acquired the rights: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2008/oct/13/ridley-scott-forever-war  Look at the date of the article though. 
I'd rather Scott captures, pardon me, the pathos of the book; rather than any dynamic combat scenes.  He would have been great for Starship Troopers and I think Scott could have translated some great moments from Heinlein's book to the screen.  Verhoeven does have the cynicism and sensuality for Haldeman's work though and there was no powered armour.

So who will direct the reboot?  Looks like no one has been picked.