GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: solops on November 13, 2016, 09:16:34 PM

Title: World War II Europe 1939-1945 Patch 108
Post by: solops on November 13, 2016, 09:16:34 PM
World War II Europe 1939-1945 patch is out!

World War II Europe
Patch version 1.0.8 Content
1. The combat markers and temporary markers are now reset at the end of each turn.
2. Added list of Russian airfields on Turn 1 in scenario #42 to the Help file.
3. AF of less than zero is displayed as zero.
4. Display OOB has three options. Mouse left click selects the unit and centers the low level map on it.  Mouse right click
allocates HQ Reserve to the unit.  Select the Display OOB or Cancel icons to continue with the game.
5. Fixed bug on Naval Supply ops, Axis only, scenarios 3,4,8,10,11,12,26-32,33-41 and 101.
6. Changed AI self imposed limit from one Naval S&D op per hex to three. Ensures coverage of key areas.
7. Changed the AI so that it follows the weather rule of no ops in storm weather at destination hex. Changed both Naval
and Air ops.
8. Selection of HQ unit for Change HQ Unit ops is now done from the Command Panel.  WWIIE displays the friendly on map
HQ units within 12 hexes for selection. Previously the player selected a hex, and the game selected the top HQ unit in
that hex.
9. A message is displayed for each unit being transferred from the scenario next turn, and one for current turn transfers.
10. For Air Tactical Ops only: There is a 10% chance that a loss to a ground unit that is dugin will not be allocated,
a 20% chance that a loss to a ground unit that is entrenched will not be allocated, and a 30% chance that a loss to a
ground unit that is fortified will not be allocated.
11. During the Combat Phase, the number of remaining attacks is displayed in the Command Panel. "Combats Left: #".  The
# number is displayed in red text.
12. Made enhancements to the air, naval and ground AI operations.
13. Selection of a unit not on map with the Display OOB displayed results in an error message instead of displaying
map where unti will be coming in.
14. Fixed weather bug on North Africa scenarios that prevented supply ops sometimes.
15. Naval combats that result in a ship sunk due to combat losses being greater or equal to DF is not listed as "sunk"
on the report.

Title: Re: World War II Europe 1939-1945 Patch 108
Post by: Barthheart on November 13, 2016, 10:00:25 PM
 :bd: :clap: :notworthy:
Title: Re: World War II Europe 1939-1945 Patch 108
Post by: mirth on November 13, 2016, 10:09:24 PM
16. All counters now auto-rounded...
Title: Re: World War II Europe 1939-1945 Patch 108
Post by: Moreb on November 13, 2016, 11:03:00 PM
What game is this?

Link?
Title: Re: World War II Europe 1939-1945 Patch 108
Post by: Grim.Reaper on November 13, 2016, 11:16:32 PM
http://schwerpunktgames.com/misc/games/world-war-ii-europe-1939-1945/
Title: Re: World War II Europe 1939-1945 Patch 108
Post by: Moreb on November 13, 2016, 11:53:17 PM
WoW. Thats huge.

Is this the game without an AI?

EDIT: Nope. Says AI included. Hmmm.
Title: Re: World War II Europe 1939-1945 Patch 108
Post by: Grim.Reaper on November 14, 2016, 05:40:47 AM
I have always been tempted by this one (even their middle eastern game), but seems like this has been in development for years without end in sight.  To be fair though, it is a one person team and is including a ton of scenarios (100+), makes me wonder if they should have just released with a portion of that and offered the remaining as DLC.  I could be wrong, but the big campaign scenarios haven't been done yet so would like to see at least a couple of them first.

Some day I will get it since I like the look of it.
Title: Re: World War II Europe 1939-1945 Patch 108
Post by: Wburn on November 14, 2016, 01:35:02 PM
Just to let you know 2 campaigns are available. North Africa 1940-1943, and East Front Blitz 1941. THe others are still in development.
Title: Re: World War II Europe 1939-1945 Patch 108
Post by: Grim.Reaper on November 14, 2016, 01:38:32 PM
Quote from: Wburn on November 14, 2016, 01:35:02 PM
Just to let you know 2 campaigns are available. North Africa 1940-1943, and East Front Blitz 1941. THe others are still in development.

That's a good start....still concerned about the rest and their delivery dates.....but some day will buy this.
Title: Re: World War II Europe 1939-1945 Patch 108
Post by: -budd- on November 14, 2016, 01:46:26 PM
Including those campaigns named above I count 66 playable scenarios.
Title: Re: World War II Europe 1939-1945 Patch 108
Post by: Grim.Reaper on November 14, 2016, 01:47:59 PM
Quote from: -budd- on November 14, 2016, 01:46:26 PM
Including those campaigns named above I count 66 playable scenarios.

Out of the 103 planned:)

I really think they should have planned less for the initial release...that was pretty ambitious for one man show.
Title: Re: World War II Europe 1939-1945 Patch 108
Post by: -budd- on November 14, 2016, 02:01:53 PM
For the price of admission there's a lot of meat on the bone. I haven't sunk a lot of time into it yet. I like the phased play and the map and counters are fine to me, they tell me what I need to know. The UI is a bit clicky and the map scrolling is brutal for me, that is the thing that makes me  scream. I wonder if it's just me or does it scroll terrible for everyone. After following it for awhile 60 scenarios was my buy point, now I just have to dedicate some time to it.......like so many other games I own.
Title: Re: World War II Europe 1939-1945 Patch 108
Post by: Grim.Reaper on November 14, 2016, 02:28:26 PM
Quote from: -budd- on November 14, 2016, 02:01:53 PM
For the price of admission there's a lot of meat on the bone. I haven't sunk a lot of time into it yet. I like the phased play and the map and counters are fine to me, they tell me what I need to know. The UI is a bit clicky and the map scrolling is brutal for me, that is the thing that makes me  scream. I wonder if it's just me or does it scroll terrible for everyone. After following it for awhile 60 scenarios was my buy point, now I just have to dedicate some time to it.......like so many other games I own.

Can't disagree and that's why I mentioned they should have limited the official release scenarios to something manageable versus 100+..then offer the rest in DLC bundles.  But seems like this release strategy gives the appearance of the game being incomplete, which makes people like me hesitate...and as we all know, I love throwing money at games:)
Title: Re: World War II Europe 1939-1945 Patch 108
Post by: -budd- on November 14, 2016, 02:54:04 PM
Incomplete is an accurate assessment it's early access like for sure. When it's done its a hell of a value, even if no more then what is currently available gets added I wouldn't be too disappointed as I don't really play the monster sized scenarios. You just don't see all the theaters represented in any one product anymore, seems like DLC is already planned even before the initial release of games these days , so I applaud the ambition and wanted to support that and history shows he'll get there sooner or later.
Title: Re: World War II Europe 1939-1945 Patch 108
Post by: Grim.Reaper on November 14, 2016, 03:06:38 PM
Quote from: -budd- on November 14, 2016, 02:54:04 PM
Incomplete is an accurate assessment it's early access like for sure. When it's done its a hell of a value, even if no more then what is currently available gets added I wouldn't be too disappointed as I don't really play the monster sized scenarios. You just don't see all the theaters represented in any one product anymore, seems like DLC is already planned even before the initial release of games these days , so I applaud the ambition and wanted to support that and history shows he'll get there sooner or later.

Yep, don't get me wrong...I applaud the developer for wanting to include this all and not make us all pay for it.  As for early access, I think this was supposed to be released in full a year or so ago, with roughly 40 scenarios to go (including a number of campaigns), just seems like the "official" release is still years away based on current output.  Again, this is not meant to deter anyone from buying, seems like it could be good, just a different opinion on release strategy and how one potential buyer like myself is viewing it.
Title: Re: World War II Europe 1939-1945 Patch 108
Post by: panzerde on November 14, 2016, 05:33:18 PM
Quote from: -budd- on November 14, 2016, 02:01:53 PM
The UI is a bit clicky and the map scrolling is brutal for me, that is the thing that makes me  scream. I wonder if it's just me or does it scroll terrible for everyone.


It's not just you. I can deal with a quirky UI, but this one is just broken. I found it far too frustrating to play.

Title: Re: World War II Europe 1939-1945 Patch 108
Post by: GJK on November 14, 2016, 08:43:09 PM
I recall playing his Russo-German War and the one before (after?) that, Anglo-German War and the UI/scrolling were issues then.  Actually, as I recall - they didn't have any scrolling (just scroll bars) but someone found or wrote a utility that *somewhat* gave it the ability to scroll but it was clunky as hell.  That may be what it still uses to this day.


I do recall that the depth of the game was there and that the AI even produced some tough battles.  Even with the smaller scenarios however, this thing is too much of a monster with too much micro-management for my tastes.  I'd absolutely *love* if he came up with a WW2 ETO game at the Corps or even the Army level...with a proper user interface...that would be tops.
Title: Re: World War II Europe 1939-1945 Patch 108
Post by: panzerde on November 14, 2016, 08:55:46 PM
Yeah, the content is there. The game is amazingly well researched and the combat engine gives believable results. He needs to hire a UI programmer to handle the front end and clean it up. I'm not even saying clean up graphics or counters or anything like that - though that couldn't hurt - just address the really blocking aspects of the UI.

Title: Re: World War II Europe 1939-1945 Patch 108
Post by: -budd- on November 14, 2016, 09:34:56 PM
I dont even bother with the mouse scroll anymore, the arrows work fine but slow. The zoom gets wonky also, sometimes hard to hit the spot you want or im doing something wrong. I do like that the player aids are available in game, like the counter legend and phase descriptions dont know why more games dont do this.
Title: Re: World War II Europe 1939-1945 Patch 108
Post by: Boggit on November 14, 2016, 10:56:13 PM
Quote from: panzerde on November 14, 2016, 05:33:18 PM
Quote from: -budd- on November 14, 2016, 02:01:53 PM
The UI is a bit clicky and the map scrolling is brutal for me, that is the thing that makes me  scream. I wonder if it's just me or does it scroll terrible for everyone.


It's not just you. I can deal with a quirky UI, but this one is just broken. I found it far too frustrating to play.
You need to use the arrow keys for the best map scrolling... and yes it is a pain, unlike the smooth map scrolling seen for example on John Tiller titles.
Title: Re: World War II Europe 1939-1945 Patch 108
Post by: Boggit on November 14, 2016, 10:58:05 PM
Quote from: -budd- on November 14, 2016, 09:34:56 PM
I dont even bother with the mouse scroll anymore, the arrows work fine but slow. The zoom gets wonky also, sometimes hard to hit the spot you want or im doing something wrong. I do like that the player aids are available in game, like the counter legend and phase descriptions dont know why more games dont do this.
Sorry Budd. I just read your post about the arrows. I agree with all you say there.