GrogHeads Forum

IRL (In Real Life) => Tech Talk => Topic started by: Greybriar on November 14, 2016, 01:02:12 PM

Title: How do you like this?
Post by: Greybriar on November 14, 2016, 01:02:12 PM
I'm tired of the delay, indecision, and mistrust involved in choosing a new PC. So I am ready to pull the trigger on this build. I decided against overclocking in favor of system stability and not voiding the original warranty from Intel. Since I wasn't planning on using the Solid State Drive for anything but the operating system, I took the smallest one available. Anyway, here's the build right now:

Falcon Northwest Custom Confirmation

Here is your customized Mach V system configuration.

System Details

Chassis
ICON2 - Black Anodized
Chassis Logo Insert
White Light
Chassis Fan Kit
Performance Fan Pack
Sound Dampening
AcoustiPack Sound Dampening Foam
Power Supply
SilverStone® 1000 Watt Modular
Chipset
Intel® X99
Motherboard
Asus® X99 Rampage V Edition 10
Processor
Intel® Core™ i7 6800K 3.6GHz
Processor Overclock
No Processor Overclock
Processor Cooler
Asetek® Liquid Cooling - Mach V
Memory
32GB - 4x8GB - 2400MHz - DDR4
Video Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 8GB
Sound Card
On-Board Audio
Networking
On-Board Ethernet
Operating System Drive
Micron® 1100 SSD 256GB - OS
Data Drive 1
Western Digital® Red™ 6TB
Optical Drive
Asus® 16x DVD Writer
Optical Drive 2
Asus® 16x Blu-Ray Writer
64-Bit Operating System
Microsoft® Windows 10 Pro
USB Rescue Drive
USB Rescue Drive
System Documentation
Falcon Northwest Manual
Warranty
3 Year Warranty - Mach V
Speakers
Logitech® Z-313 2.1

Shipping Options
UPS Ground : 145.63
UPS 2-Day : 378.51
UPS Overnight : 586.08
USPS (APO Only) : 555.00
UPS 3 DAY : 222.00

Total System Price: $4,132.00


Edited due to change in system specifications. So my post below.
Title: Re: How do you like this?
Post by: Bison on November 14, 2016, 01:04:50 PM
Damn!  Very nice.  I would caution against the smaller SSD even though the intention is for OS only.  That space fills up quickly and unintentionally.
Title: Re: How do you like this?
Post by: OJsDad on November 18, 2016, 05:32:05 PM
As Bison say's, with the SSD for your OS.  I've got similar sized SSD for my OS, and only have 77gb left, and that with no music or movies on that drive. 
Title: Re: How do you like this?
Post by: Greybriar on November 19, 2016, 02:54:41 PM
I know that, by default, many programs (including games!) are installed on the systems (C:\) drive. I had to watch for that after I installed a new hard drive for my games. Otherwise I don't understand why the systems drive should fill up. :-\ But thanks for mentioning it you two.

In a last ditch effort to save money (about $4,000!), I took my broken down Windows 7 machine to the shop. I learned the pump had failed on the liquid cooling system. After that is fixed and the repairman checks the system over, I will know whether I should keep it or just buy a new system.
Title: Re: How do you like this?
Post by: Greybriar on November 29, 2016, 08:16:33 PM
For reasons I won't go into here, I decided to take the plunge and buy a new Talon from Falcon Northwest. It will be somewhat of an early Christmas present to myself. Here is the build the technician at Talonsoft suggested and which I ordered:

System Details

Chassis
Talon - Standard Black
Power Supply
SilverStone® 1000 Watt Modular
Chipset
Intel® Z170
Motherboard
Asus® Z170 Deluxe
Processor
Intel® Core™ i7 6700K 4.2GHz
Processor Overclock
No Processor Overclock
Processor Cooler
Asetek® Liquid Cooling - Talon
Memory
32GB - 2x16GB - 2400MHz - DDR4
Video Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 8GB
Sound Card
On-Board Audio
Networking
On-Board Ethernet
Operating System Drive
Samsung® 950 Pro M.2 SSD 512GB - OS
Data Drive 1
Western Digital® Red™ 6TB
Optical Drive
Asus® 16x DVD Writer
Optical Drive 2
Asus® 16x Blu-Ray Writer
64-Bit Operating System
Microsoft® Windows 10 Pro
USB Rescue Drive
USB Rescue Drive
System Documentation
Falcon Northwest Manual
Warranty
3 Year Warranty - Talon
Speakers
Logitech® Z-313 2.1

Shipping Options
UPS Ground : 97.09
UPS 2-Day : 252.34
UPS Overnight : 390.72
USPS (APO Only) : 370.00
UPS 3 DAY : 148.00

Total System Price: $3,822.00
Title: Re: How do you like this?
Post by: bbmike on November 29, 2016, 08:23:25 PM
^ That's not near enough power.  ::)
Title: Re: How do you like this?
Post by: Greybriar on November 29, 2016, 11:20:09 PM
Quote from: bbmike on November 29, 2016, 08:23:25 PM
^ That's not near enough power.  ::)

My current computer that I bought six years ago came with a 750 watt power supply. I wanted my new gaming PC to be prepared to handle anything I could throw at it, so I ordered a 1000 watt power supply for it.
Title: Re: How do you like this?
Post by: bbmike on November 30, 2016, 06:13:41 AM
I think you'll be fine for a few more years.  O0

[edit]Forgot to say that is an awesome, awesome system!
Title: Re: How do you like this?
Post by: Martok on November 30, 2016, 12:33:17 PM
Don't mind me.  I'll just be sitting over here, turning green with envy.  (At least then I'll match the shirt I'm currently wearing...)  ::) 


Seriously, though, that's an impressive rig Greybriar.  Hope you enjoy it! 
Title: Re: How do you like this?
Post by: bob48 on November 30, 2016, 01:27:54 PM
Nice rig, Greybriar.
Title: Re: How do you like this?
Post by: Greybriar on November 30, 2016, 08:28:34 PM
Thanks guys. I'd better enjoy it--it cost twice as much as my last gaming rig which had cost twice as much as the computer before it.

As a friend of mine used to say: "The difference between the men and the boys is the price of their toys." I guess she was right. :)
Title: Re: How do you like this?
Post by: Gusington on November 30, 2016, 08:30:47 PM
I was gonna say...1000 watt power supply - SEXYTIME
Title: Re: How do you like this?
Post by: Steelgrave on November 30, 2016, 08:32:41 PM
I'm due a new rig after Christmas. The hell with the Jones', it looks like I'm gonna have to keep up with the Greybriars'  8)

Sweet, sweet system, Greybriar. Congrats!
Title: Re: How do you like this?
Post by: Bison on November 30, 2016, 08:48:03 PM
Nice rig greybriar!
Title: Re: How do you like this?
Post by: Greybriar on December 01, 2016, 05:36:14 PM
Thank ye kindly gents.
Title: Re: How do you like this?
Post by: Yskonyn on December 04, 2016, 06:20:43 AM
I don't like it, not one bit.
It's a typical penis-size self-esteem deficiency disorder behaviour.
Dissapointed in you, man. I thought you could show some restraint. :D :D
Title: Re: How do you like this?
Post by: Greybriar on December 04, 2016, 07:11:01 AM
You are green with envy aren't you, Yskonyn? Eat your heart out. ;)
Title: Re: How do you like this?
Post by: Yskonyn on December 04, 2016, 04:53:01 PM
Yes man I am.  ;D
Enjoy that awesome rig!

Seriously though; does that 1000W PSU scale its power drawor is it 1000W all the time when its on?
I am running 550 W with a GTX1080 and it runs fine and stable.
You get ready for the electricity bill! :)
Title: Re: How do you like this?
Post by: Greybriar on December 04, 2016, 10:43:25 PM
Quote from: Yskonyn on December 04, 2016, 04:53:01 PM
....Seriously though; does that 1000W PSU scale its power drawor is it 1000W all the time when its on?....

I don't know. From the description on the Falcon Northwest site (https://build2.falcon-nw.com/Configurator/Configurator?qid=242266&pid=2)

"SilverStone® 1000 Watt Modular Power Supply

Built to Falcon Northwest's specifications by SilverStone, this 1000w PSU is a highly efficient power supply (80-Plus certified) that has proven extremely reliable and is packed with features. Its 100% modular design cable system allows us to install only the power cables your components need, keeping wiring clutter down.  The PSU uses a huge 135mm fan which allows for better cooling with lower noise.  You may never have to think about your power supply, but rest assured Falcon has engineered it that way.
 
Features:
- Dual +12V rails with continuous 70A combined output
- 100% modular cables
- Supports dual PCI-E 8 pin connectors & six PCI-E 6 pin connectors
- Silent running 135mm fan
- Support for ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS 12V
- Active PFC
- Efficiency greater than 85% (80-Plus Certified)"


What do you think?

But if worse comes to worse, I'll pay the higher electricity bill. :-\
Title: Re: How do you like this?
Post by: Yskonyn on December 05, 2016, 02:57:41 AM
I would say its max output only and runs lower when demand allows.
Title: Re: How do you like this?
Post by: Greybriar on December 07, 2016, 05:57:59 AM
That would be my guess, too.