GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: acctingman on November 15, 2016, 12:18:44 PM

Title: Witcher 3 or Skyrim
Post by: acctingman on November 15, 2016, 12:18:44 PM
So, I bought Skyrim but because of other obligations I haven't really fired it up.

Witcher 3 looks pretty awesome to me. I'm guessing the combat styles are similar?

So, if you had to choose to play one FIRST, which would it be?  :coolsmiley:
Title: Re: Witcher 3 or Skyrim
Post by: magnus on November 15, 2016, 12:33:36 PM
To me, the Witcher blows all other RPGs out of the water.

I was actually sad to come to the end of the story.
Title: Re: Witcher 3 or Skyrim
Post by: Toonces on November 15, 2016, 12:35:30 PM
I'm like the only person on the planet that couldn't get into any of the Witcher games.  And I really did try.

I do intend to give Witcher 3 yet another chance in the near future, but for me Skyrim was one of the best computer games I've ever played ever.  If you already own it, this is a no-brainer.

The Witcher books are very good, though.
Title: Re: Witcher 3 or Skyrim
Post by: JasonPratt on November 15, 2016, 12:37:14 PM
If the combat style of Witcher 3 is a developed version of Witcher 1, they are not similar to Skyrim (and the Elder Scrolls series more generally). In Witcher 1, your character Geralt takes care of the combat 'upkeep' things by himself, and only requires you to make specific decisions about when to change stances or to press an attack or to try a spell. It's a little more hands off. In Skyrim, you do it all manually (as with most such games).

But I don't know how much the game has been changed down through W3 (yet).
Title: Re: Witcher 3 or Skyrim
Post by: ghostryder on November 15, 2016, 01:37:48 PM
Witcher 3's combat is very "Arcade" -- this isn't so in Skyrim. Although i think Witcher 3 is overall the better game in terms of characters, lore, quests and story Skyrim's combat is the better version for my tastes. You swing with your sword and block with your shield...it's simple. 2 keys to manage. In addition it doesn't jar you out of the world-the combat feels part of the world. The witcher, on the hand pulls you into the world until combat---it's combat seems more fitting for a console version of Mortal Kombat. Rediculous moves and leaps paired with multiple buttons only the most action hungry gamer could want- The first two games being almost rediculously action'ish whereas the last game most players can manage and put up with it. But just when you get pulled in the combat reminds you it's just game.

Neither game has combat that'll win awards but of the two Skyrim combat is far more 'natural' whereas the witcher it's action hero garbage. That's just an opinion coming from someone who doesn't own an XBOX or Playstation as is so old 'twitch' combat seems a cheat against me. RPG's to me are wargames---your stats your moral and experience, your bow your artillery and your sword your rifle. Your ability to hit and how much damage determined by stats and not how fast I mash buttons. Party RPGs really are squad combat games using different labels but doing the same thing. It's awful hard to put this into a single player first person RPG---which is why I mostly consider these games single player action adventures---but some may argue that's splitting hairs. Coming from table top RPGs before there was computer RPGs I don't think so. Even the very early Wizardry games that were first person had parties-the same tactical squad combat in the first person.
Title: Re: Witcher 3 or Skyrim
Post by: acctingman on November 15, 2016, 01:51:09 PM
Thanks everyone.

I haven't played Skyrim enough to base an opinion, however I can say I do NOT like action oriented combat (al....console gaming type).

I prefer turn based RPG's, but I wanted to branch out a little. Think I'll pass on Witcher 3 or pick it up in a couple years on a $10 sale  O0
Title: Re: Witcher 3 or Skyrim
Post by: Rayfer on November 15, 2016, 01:56:39 PM
Quote from: Toonces on November 15, 2016, 12:35:30 PM
I'm like the only person on the planet that couldn't get into any of the Witcher games.  And I really did try.

I do intend to give Witcher 3 yet another chance in the near future, but for me Skyrim was one of the best computer games I've ever played ever.  If you already own it, this is a no-brainer.

The Witcher books are very good, though.

+1
Title: Re: Witcher 3 or Skyrim
Post by: Sir Slash on November 15, 2016, 02:11:55 PM
I've only played Skyrim so can't comment on Witcher but I'm thinking Skyrim is the longer of the 2 games because it's open-ended where you can just wander around climbing a mountain or picking flowers all day. You can save some time by just sticking strictly to the main story line but you'd miss so much of the game's strength by doing that. Ghosty's point is a good one, I thought I would have to use a controller pad to play Skyrim but I found-out mouse and keyboard works just fine. Plus you can play any way you want just by whatever actions you choose, you get better at. Meaning you can go Fighter, Rouge, or Spellcaster or all 3 just by doing those things in the game. And... it's got DRAGONS. But no naked women--- sorry.
Title: Re: Witcher 3 or Skyrim
Post by: acctingman on November 15, 2016, 02:15:33 PM
Wait......Skyrim doesn't have any naked women???   :o

Title: Re: Witcher 3 or Skyrim
Post by: Greybriar on November 15, 2016, 02:33:54 PM
Quote from: acctingman on November 15, 2016, 02:15:33 PM
Wait......Skyrim doesn't have any naked women???   :o

Try Watch Dogs 2. According to Telefrog (https://forum.quartertothree.com/t/enthusiasts-of-watch-dogs-2s-porn-should-beware/127030) over at the Qt3 forums: "Watch Dogs 2, Ubisoft's open-world hacktivist game out today on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One [Watch Dogs 2 is also available for the PC], has nudity. We're not just talking topless women in strip clubs like Grand Theft Auto V or even the bland Playboy images in Mafia III. This is full genital nudity on modeled characters. It's also not limited to specific areas or missions. As some early players of the game have discovered, some random non-player characters on the streets of virtual San Francisco are "going commando" as the kids say. Knocking people over while running through the streets (an activity open-world game players love) sometimes results in unintentional X-rated up-skirt views. Eurogamer has some not-safe-for-work8 details."
Title: Re: Witcher 3 or Skyrim
Post by: mirth on November 15, 2016, 02:46:38 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on November 15, 2016, 02:11:55 PM
I've only played Skyrim so can't comment on Witcher but I'm thinking Skyrim is the longer of the 2 games because it's open-ended where you can just wander around climbing a mountain or picking flowers all day.

Supposedly, the open-world environment in Witcher 3 is even larger than Skyrim.
Title: Re: Witcher 3 or Skyrim
Post by: JudgeDredd on November 15, 2016, 03:09:04 PM
Witcher III  :notworthy:
Title: Re: Witcher 3 or Skyrim
Post by: Gusington on November 15, 2016, 06:40:56 PM
I loved Skyrim since it was released. Until I played Witcher 3.

I love everything about The Witcher 3. The lore, the combat, the graphics, the contracts, the enemies, the nekkid chicks...there is nothing not to like.

I've put in about 40 hours and the game tells me I have completed about 1/8 of it total.

:notworthy: :notworthy:
Title: Re: Witcher 3 or Skyrim
Post by: Sir Slash on November 15, 2016, 07:34:58 PM
I had no idea Witcher was so large and open-ended. I expected a more linear game. I may have to take another look at it now.
Title: Re: Witcher 3 or Skyrim
Post by: GibbyG on November 15, 2016, 07:41:48 PM
Witcher 3 for me
Title: Re: Witcher 3 or Skyrim
Post by: Con on November 15, 2016, 08:34:10 PM
The quests in Witcher 3 feel really organic and compelling.  You understand the urgency and want to help instead of feeling like you are grinding.  Coupled with the gorgeous scenery there are many times I will stop and just look at the world around me its so believable.

Con
Title: Re: Witcher 3 or Skyrim
Post by: acctingman on November 15, 2016, 09:00:31 PM
Curse you all!  :knuppel2:

Hopefully they're be a XMas sale of it somewhere.
Title: Re: Witcher 3 or Skyrim
Post by: Gusington on November 15, 2016, 10:51:46 PM
The Game of the Year edition of Witcher 3 can be had for 30.00 in many online shops.
Title: Re: Witcher 3 or Skyrim
Post by: Toonces on November 16, 2016, 07:34:50 AM
I'm sure Witcher 3 will be on sale over Xmas. 

Meantime, not sure why you're not playing Skyrim.  This doesn't have to be an either/or proposition.
Title: Re: Witcher 3 or Skyrim
Post by: bboyer66 on November 16, 2016, 08:12:54 AM
Witcher III and it's not even close. 

Title: Re: Witcher 3 or Skyrim
Post by: acctingman on November 16, 2016, 09:30:03 AM
Quote from: Toonces on November 16, 2016, 07:34:50 AM
I'm sure Witcher 3 will be on sale over Xmas. 

Meantime, not sure why you're not playing Skyrim.  This doesn't have to be an either/or proposition.

I played Skyrim for a couple hours last night and while it's gorgeous, I found myself wanting to go to bed on time!  :wow:

It's not grabbing me the way I was hoping. I will finish it someday, but for now, I'm playing a few other games I need to finish.

After watching a few videos on Witcher 3 I'll pick it up over the holidays.

Thanks for all the input gents.
Title: Re: Witcher 3 or Skyrim
Post by: JasonPratt on November 16, 2016, 03:58:49 PM
Skyrim starts pretty slow, despite its dragon apocalypse prelude 'mission'. I didn't feel I had really opened up the game until I succeeded in following my escort to the edge of Whiterun (one of the two opposing faction capitols in the game -- I chose to go that path). I arrived in the middle of the night, and was greeted by the local constabulary running around with torches trying to stop a rampaging giant at an outlying farm near the forest / mountain's edge.

I don't know if that was scripted -- I never saw giants get that close to Whiterun again during my 250ish hours of playtime -- but I sure wasn't expected to get involved and I didn't. Before then I was a little meh. After that I was hooked.  :smitten:
Title: Re: Witcher 3 or Skyrim
Post by: Gusington on November 16, 2016, 07:44:43 PM
I love both but I think Witcher 3 has an edge...until Elder Scrolls VI is released.
Title: Re: Witcher 3 or Skyrim
Post by: MikeGER on November 17, 2016, 03:16:50 AM
Quote from: Con on November 15, 2016, 08:34:10 PM
The quests in Witcher 3 feel really organic and compelling.  You understand the urgency and want to help instead of feeling like you are grinding.  Coupled with the gorgeous scenery there are many times I will stop and just look at the world around me its so believable.

Con


wrote this on 6/24/2015 in an old thread   ...and its still valid!

yesterday i wanted to just explore one additional "?"  (it was a monsternest) and see what happend to me in the next 2h realtime (i couldn't stop ;)) ... after the fight i got close to a bandit-hide-out, i had seen earlier but was to week in the past then ... now i gave them the good news:-)  after the fight i was close to an unchecked village ...so  i went in to check the blackboard (to see even more "?"  ;) )
  i talked to a poor granny, who then hired/convinced me to clear her former home (a manor) from ghosts ... i went strictly to that place (killed some wolfs and bear on the way) and 'evaded distraction impulse' to explore two new "?" on the way (i went straight through the middle of them on the map right through the wood and saw a wonderful canyon in the eveening light ...to explore on the way back)
now came where Wichter 3 really shines ... of course i got ambushed by the ghost i and killed them and investigated the houses and barns of the manor for loot, which is just following SOP in RPG  ... and then its started to get CSI Velen  ;) ...and then piece by piece the backstory why there where a ghost (connected with information pieces the granny had revealed to convince me first to actually take the contract) ... a whole oustanding entertaing like a short-story written for that universe  (dark and getting darker personal) story got told :-)

all the quests and sidequest seem to be of that quality   O0
Title: Re: Witcher 3 or Skyrim
Post by: jomni on November 17, 2016, 08:57:02 AM
Grandma Gamer prefers Skyrim. She has a YouTube channel by the way.
Title: Re: Witcher 3 or Skyrim
Post by: Sir Slash on November 17, 2016, 01:51:59 PM
Me too Grandma.  \m/
Title: Re: Witcher 3 or Skyrim
Post by: Toonces on November 18, 2016, 08:23:41 PM
Whelp, I just booted up Witcher 3 again.  I have to admit, I just am not seeing what you guys are seeing.

I haven't played enough to tell how good the story is- it may be (probably is) very, very awesome.  But from a pure gameplay perspective, Witcher 3 feels like a video game to me.  There's all the little map thingies and stuff all over, there's the 3rd person view, and whenever you talk to someone it goes into that movie mode, like you're watching them talk to each other rather than YOU are talking to the person.  It's completely immersion killing.

When I play Skyrim, I feel like I'm actually the character in the game doing things.  In Witcher I feel like I'm watching a character in a movie that I'm directing.

I'm really surprised I'm so off from the masses on this.
Title: Re: Witcher 3 or Skyrim
Post by: Gusington on November 18, 2016, 09:46:32 PM
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1106.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fh372%2Fpinchegato323%2FSOUTH%2520PARK%2Ftumblr_li0sydr9ox1qgd17ro1_400.gif&hash=c761c12b2ba45240d1f183f3bdec92d7feb3e30e)
Title: Re: Witcher 3 or Skyrim
Post by: Sir Slash on November 18, 2016, 11:06:13 PM
You're starting to repeat yourself. Repeat yourself. Repeat yourself.
Title: Re: Witcher 3 or Skyrim
Post by: Rayfer on November 19, 2016, 08:37:03 AM
Quote from: Toonces on November 18, 2016, 08:23:41 PM
Whelp, I just booted up Witcher 3 again.  I have to admit, I just am not seeing what you guys are seeing.

I haven't played enough to tell how good the story is- it may be (probably is) very, very awesome.  But from a pure gameplay perspective, Witcher 3 feels like a video game to me.  There's all the little map thingies and stuff all over, there's the 3rd person view, and whenever you talk to someone it goes into that movie mode, like you're watching them talk to each other rather than YOU are talking to the person.  It's completely immersion killing.

When I play Skyrim, I feel like I'm actually the character in the game doing things.  In Witcher I feel like I'm watching a character in a movie that I'm directing.

I'm really surprised I'm so off from the masses on this.

+1 There are others here who feel the same.