I realise the sales are not yet upon us, but the Rule Of Ps (Prior Preparation Prevents P*** Poor Performance) means we should ready.
Most of us have at least 200 unplayed games in our library (and no, downloading, pootling about for an hour and leaving on your HD for a month does not count as "played") so that equals around 900 years of fine gaming unexplored. (You may question the math, but I am an accountant, trust me. Don't date me, or spend an evening in a bar with me, but trust me on this number thing at least).
One of the great thinkers of our time has set out that humanity - that is you and me - have only 1,000 years left at best.
http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/stephen-hawking-humans-only-have-about-1000-years-left/ar-AAks0wy?li=AAdeCd7&ocid=spartanntp
You know what that means. Next sale you have to get at least 100 more years of games to store untouched on your hard drive.
Or buy Stellaris and figure out how mankind can find a new home before Earth blows up.
LOL...great post Hartford688. And your quote (and no, downloading, pootling about for an hour and leaving on your HD for a month does not count as "played") is exactly what I've done with many a Steam sale game.
I think we need to set up a support thread that every time someone starts to break down and think about buying a game on sale we can cock-shot Gus to resist the temptation.
(Or, you know, just talk them off the ledge)
Hawking is right but I think he is being generous with 1000 years. And there's this (http://www.natureworldnews.com/articles/32306/20161118/former-french-astronaut-warned-aliens-before-attempting-commit-suicide.htm).
Now, when does that sale start? :knuppel2:
Great OP! :DD
My own sense is that last year's Steam Holiday Sale, unlike every other such sale in recent years, left me profoundly unimpressed. The elimination of daily deals meant that most of the games I really wanted that were less than a year old were 10% off, games 2-3 years old were 20% off, and games 4+ years old were 40% off.
That inspired a collective **yawn** and return to trying to play the games we'd already purchased but not played yet.
For myself, I think I'm looking at either Stellaris or HoI4, and that's about it. Maybe also Thea: The Awakening if it's on 50% discount or better.
I'm looking to get the latest DLC for CKII, EUIV and Stellaris. Maybe pick up HOIIV.
Having a blast doing PBEM with Flashpoint Red Storm. Would like to pick up at least one more title that offers PBEM.
Quote from: FarAway Sooner on November 18, 2016, 05:01:15 PM
Great OP! :DD
My own sense is that last year's Steam Holiday Sale, unlike every other such sale in recent years, left me profoundly unimpressed. The elimination of daily deals meant that most of the games I really wanted that were less than a year old were 10% off, games 2-3 years old were 20% off, and games 4+ years old were 40% off.
That inspired a collective **yawn** and return to trying to play the games we'd already purchased but not played yet.
For myself, I think I'm looking at either Stellaris or HoI4, and that's about it. Maybe also Thea: The Awakening if it's on 50% discount or better.
$9 here....
https://www.kinguin.net/category/20740/thea-the-awakening-steam-cd-key/
Look at G.R bein' helpful!
Love the OP!
Saw the Hawking thing and agree wholeheartedly. Been saying it myself for years. I also believe it'll be less than a 1,000. Might not go more than another couple hundred if a meteor doesn't get us first.
Considering we've nearly doubled the world's population in the last 30-40 years...I'm no mathematician (at all), but isn't it exponential growth, essentially?
Not to derail a thread, but that's what we do around here pretty much.
Quote from: OJsDad on November 18, 2016, 05:22:59 PM
I'm looking to get the latest DLC for CKII, EUIV and Stellaris. Maybe pick up HOIIV.
Having a blast doing PBEM with Flashpoint Red Storm. Would like to pick up at least one more title that offers PBEM.
CSME OJ, i'll play ya... I just started doing PBEM, got 4 games going of various levels of success.
Quote from: -budd- on November 18, 2016, 09:31:06 PM
Quote from: OJsDad on November 18, 2016, 05:22:59 PM
I'm looking to get the latest DLC for CKII, EUIV and Stellaris. Maybe pick up HOIIV.
Having a blast doing PBEM with Flashpoint Red Storm. Would like to pick up at least one more title that offers PBEM.
CSME OJ, i'll play ya... I just started doing PBEM, got 4 games going of various levels of success.
That's Campaign Series Middle East?
Quote from: OJsDad on November 18, 2016, 09:35:12 PM
Quote from: -budd- on November 18, 2016, 09:31:06 PM
Quote from: OJsDad on November 18, 2016, 05:22:59 PM
I'm looking to get the latest DLC for CKII, EUIV and Stellaris. Maybe pick up HOIIV.
Having a blast doing PBEM with Flashpoint Red Storm. Would like to pick up at least one more title that offers PBEM.
CSME OJ, i'll play ya... I just started doing PBEM, got 4 games going of various levels of success.
That's Campaign Series Middle East?
Yup .... 1948-1985 ...with the scenarios added by modders its up to over a hundred scenarios.
it might go on sale soon as Matrix sale usually starts after Thanksgiving
I was also underwhelmed by last year's Steam Fall & Holiday sales.
Was also kinda fine with that, since I already have so many backlogged games.
I've mostly been using these seasonal sales to fill out some DLC. This year, I'll be hoping for decent prices on the TW:Warhammer DLC but I don't expect the savings to be as massive as past years.
The years of big digital sale gluts are probably showing the after effects of so many cheap titles offered over time. Peoples' game libraries are backed up so far that their purchasing pace has slowed lately. So the sale prices have also retracted a bit, due to people already owning so much from previous ones.
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 18, 2016, 08:44:46 PM
$9 here....
https://www.kinguin.net/category/20740/thea-the-awakening-steam-cd-key/
Good find, GR, thanks!!
It's very easy to "click and purchase" a computer game and then download it to where it sits for however long before you launch it and go through one or two tutorials before you are distracted and click away. And then you ask "what should I purchase next?". Much too easy.
Quote from: FarAway Sooner on November 19, 2016, 09:18:33 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 18, 2016, 08:44:46 PM
$9 here....
https://www.kinguin.net/category/20740/thea-the-awakening-steam-cd-key/
Good find, GR, thanks!!
No problem, hope it turns out to be a good game for you.
Quote from: -budd- on November 18, 2016, 10:15:02 PM
Quote from: OJsDad on November 18, 2016, 09:35:12 PM
Quote from: -budd- on November 18, 2016, 09:31:06 PM
Quote from: OJsDad on November 18, 2016, 05:22:59 PM
I'm looking to get the latest DLC for CKII, EUIV and Stellaris. Maybe pick up HOIIV.
Having a blast doing PBEM with Flashpoint Red Storm. Would like to pick up at least one more title that offers PBEM.
CSME OJ, i'll play ya... I just started doing PBEM, got 4 games going of various levels of success.
That's Campaign Series Middle East?
Yup .... 1948-1985 ...with the scenarios added by modders its up to over a hundred scenarios.
it might go on sale soon as Matrix sale usually starts after Thanksgiving
I'll add it to my wish list and see if it goes on sale.
Quote from: GJK on November 19, 2016, 09:27:44 AM
It's very easy to "click and purchase" a computer game and then download it to where it sits for however long before you launch it and go through one or two tutorials before you are distracted and click away. And then you ask "what should I purchase next?". Much too easy.
This, this so very much. I'm far too easily distracted these days. Worse, a decade ago I'd get dozens of hours out of a game because there wasn't that much else to play, and I'd have to get in the car and go somewhere to buy it, or wait for it to get delivered, so I took the time to learn what I was playing. Hell, at one point I played nothing but WoW for about three years.
Now? I have more games than I can play, I don't play any of them for the length of time they deserve, and too many nights and weekends I sit there thinking "Meh, I don't want to play any of this. Maybe I should buy a new game?"
Definitely a first world problem, but a problem nonetheless. Now, when did you say that sale starts?
I kind of look at like the cost of a movie. For $9, if I get 2 hours of entertainment out of a game, I am good with never touching it again.
Quote from: ArizonaTank on November 19, 2016, 02:19:36 PM
I kind of look at like the cost of a movie. For $9, if I get 2 hours of entertainment out of a game, I am good with never touching it again.
I know what you mean - my unit of entertainment is the cost of a pint of beer. However, I always feel guilty that I've only unlocked a tiny part of the potential entertainment offered by a game. For instance last year there was a Graviteam bundle which was 95% off - about £100-worth of games and DLC for £5. I was tempted (that's about a pint and a half), but in the end thought I'd never play all of it, so it would somehow be a waste.
I am going to wait until Black Friday before I purchase any new PC games.
I have 201 games in my steam account. More than half have less than ten hours played.
Having said that, MANY of them were 60-95% off, and even with ten hours, I got good value from them.
There they sit, waiting for retirement, when I will play them ALL, for about 100 hours a week combined!!
I will tell you, a month or so ago, I went through the entire list, and jotted down those that I had a passing fancy of replaying..and over the course of a week's vacation, played all of them for some length of time. This worked out pretty well...as for a couple of them, I defeated the learning curve, and learned a little more about why I purchased them in the first place! Now..instead of 4 hours, they are ten, or even twenty hours played.
Something like a throwback weekend..or better still, play the game at the very bottom of the list until it is no longer at the bottom of the list. Rinse, and repeat. This, and NO PURCHASES until ALL your games have at least two hours per dollar (or pound) played. (I'm looking at YOU, Democracy 3!)
...edited to add that a AAA title at 50 dollars needs 100 hours to qualify. Not unreasonable..as these AAA titles don't come along every day. They will require a commitment from me, to purchase.
^That's key right there. If what you paid is worth it for what you got, then there is no problem.
I justify it by figuring if I don't buy this generation of games that I know I probably won't play, the devs won't make the next generation of games that I'll buy and probably won't play.
Quote from: ArizonaTank on November 19, 2016, 02:19:36 PM
I kind of look at like the cost of a movie. For $9, if I get 2 hours of entertainment out of a game, I am good with never touching it again.
Throw in a soda and popcorn--$10 more at the theater, $2 at home--and you get to almost $10/hour of movie entertainment.
Now, if I could just play the 5 or 10 titles I haven't had a chance to explore yet before I buy any more! Besides
Stellaris, of course...
My "plan," (such as it is) is to definitely buy CSME or WitW, and then probably buy the other one if possible and if the price is right.
And as always, plans fall apart once the sale notices start flying. :nerd:
Last year I only bought some DLC in the holiday sales. I plan to do the same this year. Restraint, yeah! :bd:
Too many games are waiting for me to play them in my library, anyway my plan is to get CSME and Tigers on the Hunt, also I have 40 games on my steam wishlist, so I will get most of them if I see some discount like 80% or more.
I will try to buy only a few games that are on my wishlist...but as many, i have too many game i still have to play in my Library....
Polaris Sector is one of the games i might get.
"Rational-me" says - "I don't need another game!".
"Emotional-me" says - "I want another game!".
Guess who wins the argument :2funny:
Quote from: RedArgo on November 20, 2016, 09:29:16 AM
I justify it by figuring if I don't buy this generation of games that I know I probably won't play, the devs won't make the next generation of games that I'll buy and probably won't play.
You can't fault that logic. :D
I'm looking at:
Avadon 3
Twilight Struggle
latest Strategic Command
Quote from: airboy on November 21, 2016, 11:32:07 AM
I'm looking at:
Avadon 3
Twilight Struggle
latest Strategic Command
Need to get Avadon 3's done but we have reviews of the other two on The Wargamer and Pocket Tactics if you're interested in a read :)
Quote from: airboy on November 21, 2016, 11:29:39 AM
Quote from: RedArgo on November 20, 2016, 09:29:16 AM
I justify it by figuring if I don't buy this generation of games that I know I probably won't play, the devs won't make the next generation of games that I'll buy and probably won't play.
You can't fault that logic. :D
I actually had this thought process (or something similar) when I bought Star Wars: Battlefront and No Man's Sky. I figured that sure, despite the problems of these games, my money might help them actually make a better game next time around that really *is* good.
Quote from: WargamerJoe on November 21, 2016, 12:00:13 PM
Quote from: airboy on November 21, 2016, 11:29:39 AM
Quote from: RedArgo on November 20, 2016, 09:29:16 AM
I justify it by figuring if I don't buy this generation of games that I know I probably won't play, the devs won't make the next generation of games that I'll buy and probably won't play.
You can't fault that logic. :D
I actually had this thought process (or something similar) when I bought Star Wars: Battlefront and No Man's Sky. I figured that sure, despite the problems of these games, my money might help them actually make a better game next time around that really *is* good.
Didn't someone say that insanity is doing the same thing over and over and yet expecting a different result? If true, than I'm insane as well.
Never mind...I'm going to make my own thread :P
Quote from: Rayfer on November 21, 2016, 12:16:33 PM
Quote from: WargamerJoe on November 21, 2016, 12:00:13 PM
Quote from: airboy on November 21, 2016, 11:29:39 AM
Quote from: RedArgo on November 20, 2016, 09:29:16 AM
I justify it by figuring if I don't buy this generation of games that I know I probably won't play, the devs won't make the next generation of games that I'll buy and probably won't play.
You can't fault that logic. :D
I actually had this thought process (or something similar) when I bought Star Wars: Battlefront and No Man's Sky. I figured that sure, despite the problems of these games, my money might help them actually make a better game next time around that really *is* good.
Didn't someone say that insanity is doing the same thing over and over and yet expecting a different result? If true, than I'm insane as well.
The guy from Far Cry 3 said it...
Gamersgate is having a sale just bought DOM 4 for >$8