I'm looking online to purchase a new monitor to go with my new rig and had a couple questions for those that might know.
1) Are the 21:9 monitors a problem with older games and even the type we play here? Will they scale well or will I be forced to play is some odd resolution
2) Is refresh rate always better as a higher number? Is 75 better than 60 always? The one I'm looking at is 144Hz refresh rate. It also has Freesynch, but since my graphics card is nvidia based I understand it isnt supported anyways. I know Nvidia has their Gsynch but that technology is out of my pay scale.
Thanks
This is what I have and it's pretty awesome for the price.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014373&ignorebbr=1
I'm actually looking for a 34 inch but would get a 32 with good reviews.
Does the game dictate what resolution can be used or the graphics card?
I want to stay right around the $400-$450 range.
Quote from: Bison on November 18, 2016, 11:02:22 PM
This is what I have and it's pretty awesome for the price.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014373&ignorebbr=1
Good price though with very good reviews. Maybe a 32/34 is overkill?
I'm a cheapskate. :D
I'm leaning towards this one but not sure if I am making a mistake with the 29:1 ratio.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005700&cm_re=34_inch_monitor-_-24-005-700-_-Product
I think it's a personal taste thing. I've never really like the ultra-wide screens, but perhaps you could hit up a Best Buy or Micro Center and look at one in person.
Quote from: Bison on November 18, 2016, 11:53:43 PM
I think it's a personal taste thing. I've never really like the ultra-wide screens, but perhaps you could hit up a Best Buy or Micro Center and look at one in person.
Great Idea. I think I'll do just that.
Quote from: Moreb on November 18, 2016, 11:49:06 PM
I'm leaning towards this one but not sure if I am making a mistake with the 29:1 ratio.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005700&cm_re=34_inch_monitor-_-24-005-700-_-Product
Not a big fan of the ultra wide monitors, and if im not mistaken some games don't support that resolution. Also stay away especially from best buy unless you want to pay a sizable markup. I got a 32 inch 1440 HP monitor from Amazon last year for around 450 and that included shipping. I cant link it because I believe it is discontinued/out of stock on Amazon but here is something id be interested in if I needed a new one.
https://www.amazon.com/BenQ-BL3200PT-32-Inch-2560x1440-Designer/dp/B00ITORMNM/ref=sr_1_10?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1479533604&sr=1-10&keywords=32+inch+monitor&refinements=p_n_size_browse-bin%3A3547808011
Quote from: AchillesLastStand on November 19, 2016, 12:35:54 AM
Quote from: Moreb on November 18, 2016, 11:49:06 PM
I'm leaning towards this one but not sure if I am making a mistake with the 29:1 ratio.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005700&cm_re=34_inch_monitor-_-24-005-700-_-Product
Not a big fan of the ultra wide monitors, and if im not mistaken some games don't support that resolution. Also stay away especially from best buy unless you want to pay a sizable markup. I got a 32 inch 1440 HP monitor from Amazon last year for around 450 and that included shipping. I cant link it because I believe it is discontinued/out of stock on Amazon but here is something id be interested in if I needed a new one.
https://www.amazon.com/BenQ-BL3200PT-32-Inch-2560x1440-Designer/dp/B00ITORMNM/ref=sr_1_10?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1479533604&sr=1-10&keywords=32+inch+monitor&refinements=p_n_size_browse-bin%3A3547808011
Not sure what to do yet/ The more I research the more confused I become. I think I want an IPS model as the colors are better but the response times not so good. Honestly, I'm wondering how much I would be able to tell the difference. Maybe I'm just expecting too much? Since I have so much in the new rig I'm not sure that I want to spend a bunch more getting a premium monitor, whether a cheaper monitor would detract from the great video card I installed, or if I should just buck up for something really good and reliable.
Appreciate the suggestions. The search continues.
I've got a 40" 1080i that I duel monitor with a made for computer 20" monitor and I've had zero problems playing any games, old or new.
http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=17914.0 (http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=17914.0)
I'm going to be very disappointed if I ever have to give up my 16:10 monitor ratio for the PC.
That little extra bit of vertical size is quite noticeable whenever I look at a 16:9 monitor of similar size.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 19, 2016, 08:35:19 AM
http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=17914.0 (http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=17914.0)
I didn't realize the forum was so expansive. I'll post to that thread from here on out.
Quote from: Moreb on November 18, 2016, 11:49:06 PM
I'm leaning towards this one but not sure if I am making a mistake with the 29:1 ratio.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005700&cm_re=34_inch_monitor-_-24-005-700-_-Product (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005700&cm_re=34_inch_monitor-_-24-005-700-_-Product)
I have exactly that display, and love it. I use it primarily on my work machine, but I have run some games on it. Older games will likely not support the full resolution, and you'll want enough GPU to drive it for games that will. If you have an underpowered GPU, even if you can fill the display you'll see poor framerates.
OTOH, if the game will run in a window, you have a TON of screen real estate with a display that size. You can run a game in a 1920x1080 window and have plenty of room left over for having a browser open, for example.
Jarhead, can you merge this one with the other?
http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=17914.0