Interesting, but not sure its my cup-o-tea...
Quote
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm... but can you manage the deck of the Nimitz-class nuclear powered supercarrier, the USS Ronald Regan (CVN-76)?
Carrier Deck is a fast paced time management game where you will play as the Air Officer on board a CVN-76 in the midst of active war.
Load the right planes and helicopters up and ready them for the required military missions. Manage both launching and landing the planes, avoiding crashes that could spread throughout the deck wrecking multiple planes and damaging the ship.
Test your skills in a full spectrum of operations across the globe in extensive campaign mode, or just try the Skirmish mode for a quick challenge.
Carrier Deck will be released on PC and Steam. It is now entering its beta, so if you want to take part in it please apply here. We need motivated beta testers and your support and feedback would be extremely appreciated!
Like what you see? Let us know your first impressions on the forum!
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/680/details/Carrier.Deck
Quote
Features:
1. Full management of the flight deck incl, moving, fueling and arming of aircraft
2. Aircraft maintenance and management of the hangar deck
3. Selecting and launching of search missions to detect enemy air, surface and submarine threats
4. Tasking and launching of intercept missions
5. Special Forces deployment and Amphibous operations
6. Ground strikes and close air support missions
7. Receiving and dispatching cargo missions
8. Full range of aircraft and helicopters onboard from fighters to early warning and detection aircraft.
Points for doing something different.
Bah modern stuff....make this WW2 and I'm in! :notworthy:
Quote from: steve58 on December 07, 2016, 02:14:47 PM
Interesting, but not sure its my cup-o-tea...
Quote
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm... but can you manage the deck of the Nimitz-class nuclear powered supercarrier, the USS Ronald Regan (CVN-76)?
Carrier Deck is a fast paced time management game where you will play as the Air Officer on board a CVN-76 in the midst of active war.
Load the right planes and helicopters up and ready them for the required military missions. Manage both launching and landing the planes, avoiding crashes that could spread throughout the deck wrecking multiple planes and damaging the ship.
Test your skills in a full spectrum of operations across the globe in extensive campaign mode, or just try the Skirmish mode for a quick challenge.
Carrier Deck will be released on PC and Steam. It is now entering its beta, so if you want to take part in it please apply here. We need motivated beta testers and your support and feedback would be extremely appreciated!
Like what you see? Let us know your first impressions on the forum!
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/680/details/Carrier.Deck
Quote
Features:
1. Full management of the flight deck incl, moving, fueling and arming of aircraft
2. Aircraft maintenance and management of the hangar deck
3. Selecting and launching of search missions to detect enemy air, surface and submarine threats
4. Tasking and launching of intercept missions
5. Special Forces deployment and Amphibous operations
6. Ground strikes and close air support missions
7. Receiving and dispatching cargo missions
8. Full range of aircraft and helicopters onboard from fighters to early warning and detection aircraft.
Sounds interesting! Also sounds like you have no control over where this vessel goes, i.e., a static campaign. I don't mind that, though, so long as it's well-done and has variability to encourage replay.
Sounds different but if you are just managing the taking off and landing bit then it seems like the interesting bit about fighting and blowing stuff up is not actually part of the game. Controlling a carrier sounds very interesting but if it's just the admin side of getting planes out and in it would lose its legs pretty quickly.
Quote3. Selecting and launching of search missions to detect enemy air, surface and submarine threats
4. Tasking and launching of intercept missions
The other things could just be routing missions assigned by the 'admiral' and/or 'captain' (for operational and local tactics respectively). Those two sound like you're choosing the local missions.
Quote from: acctingman on December 07, 2016, 03:00:37 PM
Bah modern stuff....make this WW2 and I'm in! :notworthy:
Yeah. I thought modern CVN flight deck operations were run using Excel macros written in Visual Basic, anyways?
Being Air Boss can be very stressful. There are all kinds of things happening on the flight deck that you have to rely on the trained crew to perform properly and safely.
Earlier this year an arresting wire snapped and some of the crew were hurt very badly.
You probably won't read this anywhere, but during Vietnam, the Air Traffic Controller off North Vietnam was Red Crown.
One carrier, had a break in it's ops when a senior airman (possibly the Air Boss, I never heard) slashed his wrists and jumped off the flight deck with a, "I can't take it anymore."
^Jesus.
I don't think I've seen another game modeling the same things. Intriguing.
Quote from: acctingman on December 07, 2016, 03:00:37 PM
Bah modern stuff....make this WW2 and I'm in! :notworthy:
Someone ship this man off to Iwo, please! :))
Quote from: besilarius on December 07, 2016, 06:17:56 PM
You probably won't read this anywhere, but during Vietnam, the Air Traffic Controller off North Vietnam was Red Crown.
Wasn't "Red Crown" typically a missile cruiser on radar picket duty, running the show up north?
I just checked out the screenies for this game. Looks interesting but I have one question (only one right now, that is). What is with the colorful makings on the planes and helps/osprays? Do they represent Squadron id? Readiness status? it's a little garish.
Quote from: Staggerwing on December 07, 2016, 07:57:41 PM
I just checked out the screenies for this game. Looks interesting but I have one question (only one right now, that is). What is with the colorful makings on the planes and helps/osprays? Do they represent Squadron id? Readiness status? it's a little garish.
Disco soda glow sticks.
Quote from: Staggerwing on December 07, 2016, 07:57:41 PM
I just checked out the screenies for this game. Looks interesting but I have one question (only one right now, that is). What is with the colorful makings on the planes and helps/osprays? Do they represent Squadron id? Readiness status? it's a little garish.
Just to please the kiddies.
There's all kinds of ATC-type aircraft sims out there where you play the control tower and manage flights and gates. Some are pretty kiddy-level, others are much more adult-heinous, in challenge levels. I can only imagine a CV sim managing air traffic is ten times worse than the real job.
When I worked for United and had shifts as flight manager, I only had to deal with four gates, but that could get hairy enough at times, especially when the pilots decided to do work slowdowns. :( No way in hell I'd ever want to sit in an ATC tower.
Quote from: acctingman on December 07, 2016, 03:00:37 PM
Bah modern stuff....make this WW2 and I'm in! :notworthy:
Lol...yeah, too many games taking on various time frames. There's a vacuum there waiting to be filled by SOME programmer somewhere willing to FINALLY produce a WW2 war game.
:D
Quote from: jomni on December 07, 2016, 09:41:30 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on December 07, 2016, 07:57:41 PM
I just checked out the screenies for this game. Looks interesting but I have one question (only one right now, that is). What is with the colorful makings on the planes and helps/osprays? Do they represent Squadron id? Readiness status? it's a little garish.
Just to please the kiddies.
these are called 'decals' and will open a whole world of possible content to buy in 'little' steps aka 'micropayments'! ;)
'DirectX10 Shader model 3+'... ?
now, if they have someone working on an ui overhaul to make everything look AND feel like WITP, please? that would be so goo~ooood!
(tbh, it looks like a game. it really does!!)
Looks interesting....but I wonder how your actions will be tied into the success of the overall campaign since you are just managing one part.
I'll still be watching....
ah! and sneaky, tricksy slitherine! matrix store 'official' forum links to a lonely post on the slitherine forums! HA!
Light games are usually under the Slitherine brand.
Quote from: jomni on December 08, 2016, 03:31:05 AM
Light games are usually under the Slitherine brand.
It'll be made for Apple products with cross platform support to PC probably.
Fast and simple. Nothing wrong with that business model except it doesn't fit my purchasing habit and so they get very few purchases from me nowadays. God - I used to buy loads of things on sale at Matrix.
However, it could be good for getting more people into strategy games mind....or it could be bad in that it just sucks development of hardcore strategy games and away from PC.
Who cares. It's not the only genre I'm interested in.
However, perhaps they should start being honest and prefixing all their games with i....so call this iCarrier Deck :2funny:
This
sounds interesting - but the graphics are a mahoosive turn off for me (early I know) and I'm not sure what gaming is going to be in there. I will watch it develop...see what comes of it. Certainly Carrier Ops are something I would be interested in.
Quote from: Staggerwing on December 07, 2016, 07:57:41 PM
I just checked out the screenies for this game. Looks interesting but I have one question (only one right now, that is). What is with the colorful makings on the planes and helps/osprays? Do they represent Squadron id? Readiness status? it's a little garish.
It indicates the loadout the given plane has.
Quote from: mikeck on December 07, 2016, 11:05:37 PM
Quote from: acctingman on December 07, 2016, 03:00:37 PM
Bah modern stuff....make this WW2 and I'm in! :notworthy:
Lol...yeah, too many games taking on various time frames. There's a vacuum there waiting to be filled by SOME programmer somewhere willing to FINALLY produce a WW2 war game.
:D
:DD
Quote from: mirth on December 07, 2016, 02:21:36 PM
Points for doing something different.
This is the same developer who did Vietnam '65, and is currently developing Afghanistan '11 (closed beta).
He's got more stuff coming, and I don't think any of it will disappoint.
Link: http://www.everysinglesoldier.com/
First tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ChDVazsGWU
For me it looks too simple. I hope we will get another release from Matrix this month. I have to use my anniversary coupon.
Looks like you are the carrier deck boss. It wold be interesting to play this after playing a game like Command. You get to see the intricate tasks and cadence of handling aircraft and crew on the deck. I think the most interesting aspect would be to have several types of carriers, like LHA, ski jump carriers, etc. so you could see the detailed differences in the complexities of each different type.
I can picture playing this for a short time, but once you kind of see everything, not sure how much replay there would be.
On ipad as well. Oh well... no wonder the graphics looks shit hot! ;P
Quote from: mikeck on December 07, 2016, 11:05:37 PM
Quote from: acctingman on December 07, 2016, 03:00:37 PM
Bah modern stuff....make this WW2 and I'm in! :notworthy:
Lol...yeah, too many games taking on various time frames. There's a vacuum there waiting to be filled by SOME programmer somewhere willing to FINALLY produce a WW2 war game.
:D
Yeah, but as for this
particular game . . . WW2 has an obvious appeal that the modern era lacks, i.e., two opposing carrier forces slugging it out with each other. The Deck Officer's job gets a lot more interesting when he has deck damage to work around (not to mention when he spends part of his time dodging bombs).
Quote from: salazarus on June 09, 2017, 07:04:59 AM
First tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ChDVazsGWU
For me it looks too simple. I hope we will get another release from Matrix this month. I have to use my anniversary coupon.
Bit of a disappointment for me, I was imagining some sort of John Tiller Midway-esque carrier management in the middle of a conflict whereby you controlled CAP's and whatnot and effected the outcome of the conflict... but from this look-see, it seems to be a slot time-management game, where you just need to address the ins and outs of the lanes and slots.
I've shared the promo stuff and the tutorial vid with the computerwargames sub-reddit, but this seems to be more a casual game masquerading under the wargame banner of a Slitherine title. Shame that.
Unless, theres more depth to it than pure drag and drop slot/lane management.
Quote from: glen55 on June 09, 2017, 04:17:23 PM
Quote from: mikeck on December 07, 2016, 11:05:37 PM
Quote from: acctingman on December 07, 2016, 03:00:37 PM
Bah modern stuff....make this WW2 and I'm in! :notworthy:
Lol...yeah, too many games taking on various time frames. There's a vacuum there waiting to be filled by SOME programmer somewhere willing to FINALLY produce a WW2 war game.
:D
Yeah, but as for this particular game . . . WW2 has an obvious appeal that the modern era lacks, i.e., two opposing carrier forces slugging it out with each other. The Deck Officer's job gets a lot more interesting when he has deck damage to work around (not to mention when he spends part of his time dodging bombs).
Even I have to cede this point.
Naval warfare in WW2 is still a go for me.
The rest of WW2 strategy games, those in ETO ... (https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Ffirewoodhoardersclub.com%2Fsmilies%2Fdeadhorse.gif&hash=f663df370b08fd8a0707b0d3f254ca2d2a1b4c85)
This game needs a lot of constant, blaring Kenny Loggins.
O0
I went with the iOS version. It's simple, but I'm enjoying it. Nice aircraft and mission variety. Pleasing graphics and sound.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 15, 2017, 09:10:04 PM
I went with the iOS version. It's simple, but I'm enjoying it. Nice aircraft and mission variety. Pleasing graphics and sound.
I am interested in this but unclear as to whether this is simply a kind of puzzle game in getting things up and down of the carrier or whether you are managing the actual squadrons . Pilots . Missions type of thing ? The latter seems it would be quite interesting the former not so much ?
Quote from: Zulu1966 on June 16, 2017, 02:17:12 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 15, 2017, 09:10:04 PM
I went with the iOS version. It's simple, but I'm enjoying it. Nice aircraft and mission variety. Pleasing graphics and sound.
I am interested in this but unclear as to whether this is simply a kind of puzzle game in getting things up and down of the carrier or whether you are managing the actual squadrons . Pilots . Missions type of thing ? The latter seems it would be quite interesting the former not so much ?
No management of squadrons or pilots, unfortunately, but it at least feels like it is a little more than just a puzzle type game. Basically, you'll be tasked with a general mission, like destroy the enemy surface vessels before they can threaten your carrier. So, you'll have to launch recon aircraft to locate the threat and then put together and launch a strike package. However, at the same time, you'll need to launch other craft to search for and attack other threats, like subs or aircraft. The balancing comes with recovering aircraft, refueling them and rearming them for new missions. Aircraft can also be damaged, at which point you need to use the elevators to bring them below deck for repairs. So you not only manage the deck, but you manage some things going on below deck, as well.
Again, I wouldn't describe this as anything more than a really high quality time waster. Don't expect bombing of the Reich or anything.
Do you have the option to load a plane's had points with toilet bowls?
(https://www.warhistoryonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/%5E924EDA93E8A87150856EAAECF57996A9BFF371E8FBD5787720%5Epimgpsh_fullsize_distr.png)
Seen that one before, but still a great photo.
You can't select specific munitions. You can only task an aircraft to engage a particular threat, so there is an Armament package for aircraft, subs, surface vessels, ground targets, etc. Haven't seen anything for plumbing yet.
Pity. Picking the right package could send you clean around the bend.
Arleigh Burke was Chief of Staff to Marc Mitscher who commanded the Fast Carriers of the Third and Fifth Fleets in World War II.
He covered a lot of stuff in his book on running carriers, including what they did after the strikes were launched.
There wasn't really anything for them to do.
The strikes were often in radio silence, and the Force Fighter Director handled any snoopers that radar saw.
So Burke and Mitscher would talk about anything to fill in the time. Mitscher was an avid fisherman and loved talking about fishing spots and some of the big ones he caught.
Not exactly high drama.
Quote from: bob48 on June 16, 2017, 06:10:00 AM
Pity. Picking the right package could send you clean around the bend.
Oh God...here we go. In no time, this thread is going to be clogged with bad puns.
...bad ones are the only ones we know.
There; now I'm feeling a bit flushed. :-[
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 16, 2017, 05:22:50 AM
Quote from: Zulu1966 on June 16, 2017, 02:17:12 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 15, 2017, 09:10:04 PM
I went with the iOS version. It's simple, but I'm enjoying it. Nice aircraft and mission variety. Pleasing graphics and sound.
I am interested in this but unclear as to whether this is simply a kind of puzzle game in getting things up and down of the carrier or whether you are managing the actual squadrons . Pilots . Missions type of thing ? The latter seems it would be quite interesting the former not so much ?
No management of squadrons or pilots, unfortunately, but it at least feels like it is a little more than just a puzzle type game. Basically, you'll be tasked with a general mission, like destroy the enemy surface vessels before they can threaten your carrier. So, you'll have to launch recon aircraft to locate the threat and then put together and launch a strike package. However, at the same time, you'll need to launch other craft to search for and attack other threats, like subs or aircraft. The balancing comes with recovering aircraft, refueling them and rearming them for new missions. Aircraft can also be damaged, at which point you need to use the elevators to bring them below deck for repairs. So you not only manage the deck, but you manage some things going on below deck, as well.
Again, I wouldn't describe this as anything more than a really high quality time waster. Don't expect bombing of the Reich or anything.
OK thanks for taking the time to write up that excellent summary. Seems interesting enough from what you say at the price to buy.
It only took a few minutes of one of the tutorial videos to see that this is pretty much what Jarhead said - that it's a puzzle-type game at heart. Not that this is a bad thing, as I find it somewhat intriguing, but it doesn't look like it has a lot of replayability.
I'm definitely playing this a lot. I'm finding it very addictive. Yes, it is most certainly a game, as opposed to any kind of serious simulation, but once you get past the fact that it is not a carrier management sim, it is quite enjoyable.
I'm really enjoying this.
I wish there were some hotkeys for things like views and launching aircraft.
Like, pressing '1' launches ramp 1 or using the F1-F4 for the different views. I find there to be an excessive amount of clicking.
But I'm really digging it and have been replaying missions until I can 5-star them
You don't get to move the carrier, do you?
I haven't delved too far into it, but my understanding is no
So this is more akin to those restaurant games where you have to get the pizza orders out in time with the correct toppings and sides?
I dredd (yep - done that) to bring this up because it's always my fault but I heard a rumour people round here are helpful - so I'll give it a try.
Is anyone at all having a problem clicking in this game?
Unless I've suddenly turned into a mong overnight, and I'm not saying that's outside the realms of possibility, I'm having tremendous trouble with clicking on the aircraft.
So I know a click and hold displays what you want to load up on. Got that and it works fine. But when I click on an aircraft, either it doesn't select or it brings up the circular menu (designed for a long, single left click) which is odd because I ain't holding the mouse to select it.
The next issue is when I do actually get the display that shows where your aircraft can go, it could take several clicks to actually get the aircraft to go there. It
seems better if I scroll the ship to the aircraft slot I want to move the aircraft to. Point being, there seems to be an incredibly small sweet spot on those huge aircraft icons to actually get your aircraft to move.
Just asking - computer foocked? my hands foocked? or is the game clicking
that sensitive?
Well apparently, it's not me (thank god)
A reviewer said
Quote
I had a few instances where I couldn't press a button or select an aircraft properly due to the unnecessarily shallow camera angles.
And someone on Steam (not me!)
http://steamcommunity.com/app/580720/discussions/0/2333276539596245017/
The devs did say they didn't come across the issue in testing, though. So perhaps (as suggested in the Steam post) it's a machine thing. Drivers? Graphics card make?
.. you're not alone JD, .. I was one of the first to complain about the click issues.
I tried various screen resolutions in all aspect ratios, .. to no avail.
It also 'seemed' to me, .. the more intense the action, .. the worse it got, .. so, maybe a timing issue.
As much as I enjoy the game, .. the frustration with click spots has resulted in me putting it aside for now..
Waiting for 1st Patch, .. which hopefully resolves the issue.
Cheers
Tom
Glad I got it on iOS. No such problem on my iPad. Sucks.
Quote from: Thomasew on June 21, 2017, 04:05:41 AM
.. you're not alone JD, .. I was one of the first to complain about the click issues.
I tried various screen resolutions in all aspect ratios, .. to no avail.
It also 'seemed' to me, .. the more intense the action, .. the worse it got, .. so, maybe a timing issue.
As much as I enjoy the game, .. the frustration with click spots has resulted in me putting it aside for now..
Waiting for 1st Patch, .. which hopefully resolves the issue.
Cheers
Tom
Well that's some good news. I didn't think losing the ability to control a mouse was going to bode well for the rest of my future in IT
Me, too. Serious clicking issues.
Guess what? Patch dropped, loaded game, no more clicking issues O0
I picked this up on iOS. Very fun game with good animations, but aparently this game isn't pilot proof... O:-)
I run into trouble in mission 2 of the 1st campaign after the tutorial;
You get several cargo aircraft inbound which I can unload and send on their merry way without any problem, but once the enemy aircraft start showing up I am not sure why my Hornets won't launch?
I have them prepped 'Red' for Air. I assign a target in the queue window, then clear a red Hornet to the catapult, but when I want to launch the launch arrows aren't there and instead I get a red rectangle.
Clearly red means no-go, but I can't see why! Did you guys experience this?
They must be unarmed (don't have the game so don't trust me)
Quote from: Yskonyn on June 22, 2017, 03:16:37 AM
I picked this up on iOS. Very fun game with good animations, but aparently this game isn't pilot proof... O:-)
I run into trouble in mission 2 of the 1st campaign after the tutorial;
You get several cargo aircraft inbound which I can unload and send on their merry way without any problem, but once the enemy aircraft start showing up I am not sure why my Hornets won't launch?
I have them prepped 'Red' for Air. I assign a target in the queue window, then clear a red Hornet to the catapult, but when I want to launch the launch arrows aren't there and instead I get a red rectangle.
Clearly red means no-go, but I can't see why! Did you guys experience this?
We have just released a patch for the game on Steam (standalone version and iOS to follow shortly) that among other things, tries to give you an explanation on why planes can't take off, hopefully that will make these situations clearer.
In your specific case, a reason could be that a cargo mission is ahead in the queue. You need to launch the planes in mission order, first one being on the right edge of the mission list.
Quote from: Tamas on June 22, 2017, 05:15:47 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on June 22, 2017, 03:16:37 AM
I picked this up on iOS. Very fun game with good animations, but aparently this game isn't pilot proof... O:-)
I run into trouble in mission 2 of the 1st campaign after the tutorial;
You get several cargo aircraft inbound which I can unload and send on their merry way without any problem, but once the enemy aircraft start showing up I am not sure why my Hornets won't launch?
I have them prepped 'Red' for Air. I assign a target in the queue window, then clear a red Hornet to the catapult, but when I want to launch the launch arrows aren't there and instead I get a red rectangle.
Clearly red means no-go, but I can't see why! Did you guys experience this?
We have just released a patch for the game on Steam (standalone version and iOS to follow shortly) that among other things, tries to give you an explanation on why planes can't take off, hopefully that will make these situations clearer.
In your specific case, a reason could be that a cargo mission is ahead in the queue. You need to launch the planes in mission order, first one being on the right edge of the mission list.
Yes. It took me awhile to figure this out. Aircraft must be launched in their order within the mission que. I thought this element was very gamey, but it does add another level of strategy making the game more intense.
Ah ok, thanks. I think the tutorial actually tells you this, no that I think of it.
Anyway, it seems weird that I can't use a free catapult to launch priority missions, or just launch missions in whatever sequence as long as a catapult is free.
What I can imagine is that a certain catapult would be off limits to use because of conflicting traffic coming in or launching. That would be a more logical way, at least for me.
Anyway, its a system I will get used to. Thanks for clearing it up! O0
Quote from: Yskonyn on June 22, 2017, 05:49:54 AM
Ah ok, thanks. I think the tutorial actually tells you this, no that I think of it.
Anyway, it seems weird that I can't use a free catapult to launch priority missions, or just launch missions in whatever sequence as long as a catapult is free.
What I can imagine is that a certain catapult would be off limits to use because of conflicting traffic coming in or launching. That would be a more logical way, at least for me.
Anyway, its a system I will get used to. Thanks for clearing it up! O0
No worries.
It is worth mentioning, that it IS possible to be unable to launch from a couple of catapults due to other planes being in the way:
-The one on the upper end of the carrier can be blocked by planes on the two parking slots next to it (the two upper leftmost ones)
-and, the helicopters on the helo launch positions block the bottom catapult from launching
I'd love to give this a try, even do a write-up for the site if it were possible to get a review copy of it?
Quote from: BC on June 22, 2017, 10:37:16 AM
I'd love to give this a try, even do a write-up for the site if it were possible to get a review copy of it?
I'll run it by Marketing :)