GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Jarhead0331 on December 15, 2016, 03:14:03 PM

Title: Heavy Gear Assault
Post by: Jarhead0331 on December 15, 2016, 03:14:03 PM
Just a heads up that Heavy Gear Assault is due to be released to early access on steam today.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/416020/ (http://store.steampowered.com/app/416020/)

This is a game that I have had early access to for well over a year. I have wanted desperately to be able to post positive details about it, but I've been very frustrated by the state of development and the dreadfully slow lack of updates. This game has a very long way to go in its current state. Something else that really bothers me is that the game is a MP focused arena combat game. The original Heavy Gear titles contained spectacular Single Player campaigns with a great story line, awesome briefings and mission details and took place across multiple planets and even in zero-G environments. The fact that the new game takes place as somewhat of a "sport" was a great disappointment.

Anyway, I'm hopeful that the release on Steam will bring an influx of capital for the team and somewhat hasten development.

So, keep your eye on this, but unless a big patch is included with the steam release, I don't see any reason to rush to the check-out counter. 
Title: Re: Heavy Gear Assault
Post by: Destraex on December 29, 2016, 09:05:02 PM
Just got released on steam for early access.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/416020/

I tried this in non steam very early access for free yonks ago like you. It's now on steam. My only problem with it is that it seems to be some sort of sports arena rather than an actual world with a war going on and all of the accompanying assorted military units. Much like MWO is more of an arena than an actual war.
At the moment the price is steep at $40 US. The cool thing about heavy gear mechs is that a lot have deployable wheels for super fast travel.
The mechs are small in comparison to battletech and they are also more agile and anime like.
Personally I think this game though is headed for a flop. It just does not have any character or back story like mech... I mean the original heavy gear 1/2 was very atmospheric with land battleships, tanks and such iirc. Also mechs could lay down and such in the old games, not sure about the new one.
Apparently their is a tabletop game for this heavy gear as well. I like the back story but this heavy gear assaults back story I hope has changed so that more than just arena mode is possible.

Crap it's based on this most likely: YUK!