http://www.gamewatcher.com/news/2016-16-12-the-next-historical-total-war-game-will-begin-production-in-2017
Creative assembly are trying to be a bit more transparent with the fans by keeping them updated on what the various teams under the Total War banner are currently working on. We all know that they've got teams working on Total War: ARENA, Total War Battles: KINGDOM and Total War: Warhammer, but what about the next historical Total War game that we've all been waiting for?
This latest update reveals little, but it does tell us that production will officially be getting underway in the new year. It looks like they're at the planning stages at the moment, as they've confirmed that a historical advisor is on board to help with its designs and extensive research
"With production getting fully underway in the new year, pre-production for our next historical major release continues. Also, we have now partnered with our first historical advisor, pre-eminent in his field and already bringing that world-leading expertise to bear on our designs and extensive research so far." said the developers in a blog report on the official website.
There are also plans to get back into the historical period before this next game is released, so it's definitely possible that we might hear about some additional content or standalones for some of Creative assembly's earlier titles later in 2017.
"we've recently been looking at ways in which we might get back to historical content before we release the next major historical Total War, in particular thinking about additional content or standalones for some of our more recent historical titles. Nothing decided yet though." said the team at Creative assembly.
Bretonnia is going to be added to Total War: Warhammer, which is the next race for the game after the recent Realm of the Wood Elves DLC, and that should be released alongside the Old World Edition in the new year. Total War: Warhammer is being planned as a trilogy, with the sequel now in full production.
What sort of historical period would you take on next for a Total War game?
What say you?
Medieval 3?
Pike and Shot?
Medieval 3 Here
I'll write down my guess as Medieval 3 (not that requires much prescience), but it will be interesting to see how them manage the next game. In many ways Warhammer:TW is the system's apotheosis. Trying to slap the historical garment back on might look a mite ungainly after it was so grandly swept off by the fantasy offering.
I wish that it'll be China during Warring States, T'ang or Ming Dynasties - but I won't hold my breath...
Looking for 19th century / ACW
A cynic would comment that the series has never actually done an historical game.
That aside, I've always hoped to see them do The Bible: Total War so they could be as over-the-top as they wanted with the hokey special effects.
They could have generals who looked like Victor Mature and Stewart Granger.
They could have Hollywood Egyptians riding in chariots to their hearts' content.
They could have plagues of frogs, locusts, and the angel of death.
But above all they could have Judith and Holophernes.
Total War Age of Rifles? Please take my money!
Quote from: Philippe on December 16, 2016, 11:47:55 AM
They could have plagues of frogs, locusts, and the angel of death.
I want me some Elite Frogs.
OK, I'll give up on reuniting China.
Have you taken a look at Oriental Empires? The combat is still a little wonky but it's shaping up to be a very nice game, and it's on sale on Steam until the 19th.
And it will have multi-player when it gets out of Early Access.
Lets see. I bought my copy of Napoleon Total War when it came out and it had a big ad on the back of the manual-- "Coming Soon! American Civil War Total War". Guess they're still working on that one. But I'd love a version using Shogun 2's Fall of the Samurai engine. Also maybe an Africa or China add-on for Empire Total War. But it'll probably be another Medi TW.
Thought about it some more.
And since people are in here wishing:
Total War: Victoria's Little Wars, 1815-1914
The second part of warhammer, is it what Attila was to Rome or is it a whole new game?
Quote from: Philippe on December 16, 2016, 11:47:55 AM
A cynic would comment that the series has never actually done an historical game.
That aside, I've always hoped to see them do The Bible: Total War so they could be as over-the-top as they wanted with the hokey special effects.
They could have generals who looked like Victor Mature and Stewart Granger.
They could have Hollywood Egyptians riding in chariots to their hearts' content.
They could have plagues of frogs, locusts, and the angel of death.
But above all they could have Judith and Holophernes.
What?
No Charlton Heston?
Naughty Nurse Pillow Fights
Naughty Charles Heston Pillow Fights Total War - The Feathering.
Or Renaissance: Total War, 1350 - 1600.
Quote from: Gusington on December 16, 2016, 01:35:02 PM
Renaissance: Total War, 1350 - 1600.
That would be cool.
Even better than The Feathering?
Just checking.
Medieval 3 would get my. One, but I wouldn't be surprised to see China this time around.
I'd like to see 30 years war / ECW.
Quote from: bob48 on December 16, 2016, 04:34:59 PM
I'd like to see 30 years war / ECW.
The first time wasn't enough?
:uglystupid2:
Quote from: AchillesLastStand on December 16, 2016, 10:21:51 AM
http://www.gamewatcher.com/news/2016-16-12-the-next-historical-total-war-game-will-begin-production-in-2017
"With production getting fully underway in the new year, pre-production for our next historical major release continues. Also, we have now partnered with our first historical advisor, pre-eminent in his field and already bringing that world-leading expertise to bear on our designs and extensive research so far." said the developers in a blog report on the official website.
An actual historical advisor -- preeminent in his field ...so no Mary Beard and no Rome 3. What kinds of fields feature re-eminence? And the possibility of magical animals? It must be Peter Matthews and the field is MesoAmerica with appropriate underworlds and Purgatories attached. You'll be able to take (in-game) hallucinagenes and travel via your wei-kob spirit animals. Historically!
How about Total War: Pinkertons v. Coalminers? Could be a thing (again) soon.
I'd like Medieval 3, but CA has said previously that the next TW game will not have a "three" in the title nor will it be an era they've tackled before.
So with that said, my hope is Renaissance or Victorian era. If it's Victorian I hope the scope is very, very grand.
So how would you handle railroads on the strategic map? Balloons would be cool though!
Shogun 2 Fall of the Samurai is Victorian Era.
Quote from: undercovergeek on December 16, 2016, 12:51:45 PM
The second part of warhammer, is it what Attila was to Rome or is it a whole new game?
I assume it will be an expanded map with more races added. Possibly included a separate campaign just for the new map area.
Fall of the Samurai also had railroads and they were very fun to use.
My Samurai certainly enjoyed them. Especially blowing the whistle.
Easy there...easy
It was a whislefrul dispray! :-"
Total War: Byzantium 1904
Total War: Russian Empire 2017
TW: Turkmenistan - The Feathering
Quote from: Nefaro on December 19, 2016, 03:14:15 PM
Total War: Byzantium 1904
Just your basic alternative universe thing -- Like Ironclads I: 1866 Russo-British War. Which reminds me -- I was playing Ironclads II: Pacific War (no Date, but it does include a famous engagement in which torpedos were fired in earnest in 1880, I think) and, well...Fall of the Samuri had much better Ironclads and torpedos.
So anyway...yeah, Total War Byzantium 1904 might be just the thing.
I got my first wish: an AGEOD game covering the 18th century wars in Europe. I can game the War of Spanish Secession, War of Austrian Succession and the 7 years war.
So for Total War, I'd ask Santa for "Total War: Pike and Shot". Bridging "Medieval 2 "and "Empire"....maybe 1500- 1700
We've already got Pike & Shot in the ironically named...Pike & Shot.
And I LOVED the naval combat in Fall of the Samurai. The most funnest naval combat in the whole series IMHO.
Quote from: MengJiao on December 19, 2016, 07:16:53 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on December 19, 2016, 03:14:15 PM
Total War: Byzantium 1904
Just your basic alternative universe thing -- Like Ironclads I: 1866 Russo-British War. Which reminds me -- I was playing Ironclads II: Pacific War (no Date, but it does include a famous engagement in which torpedos were fired in earnest in 1880, I think) and, well...Fall of the Samuri had much better Ironclads and torpedos.
So anyway...yeah, Total War Byzantium 1904 might be just the thing.
I couldn't remember exactly what year we had referred to this strange alt-history Byzantium thing, back on the WG forums long ago. So 1904 sounded pretty close, if not right on. :-"
I wouldn't care much for alt-history. Figure that if they're going to go with something unhistorical, they may as well grab a fun & storied fictional IP like they did with Warhammer.
Quote from: Gusington on December 19, 2016, 08:05:40 PM
We've already got Pike & Shot in the ironically named...Pike & Shot.
And I LOVED the naval combat in Fall of the Samurai. The most funnest naval combat in the whole series IMHO.
Given how badly the 30-years war has been covered (eg, the AEGOD version) a 30-years Total War/ Spanish Armada/80-years war would probably be a big improvement. After their work in War Hammer they can add a MAlus MAlefactorum (Hammer of the evil) subplot with mesoamerican witches about to take over the world etc etc and only the Spansih Inquisistion can save you etc etc (though to put in a good word for the Spanish Inquisition, they did eventually figure out that witches were not "real" in their version of the game/universe). Of coourse what do you name something like that that will trigger the debris of the period in the popular consciousness? Not Pike and shot and not 80-years war total war, but....Witch Craze or something like that.
Ironclads and Witches: Byzantium 1904, The Feathering.
Don't even try to pretend you would not buy that in either tabletop or on the PC!
Quote from: Gusington on December 20, 2016, 10:01:07 AM
Ironclads and Witches: Byzantium 1904, The Feathering.
Will the movie have CGI Charlton Heston?
Yes of course. And a CGI Charlie Chaplin as well as a CGI Bela Lugosi.
Quote from: Gusington on December 20, 2016, 10:06:26 AM
Yes of course. And a CGI Charlie Chaplin as well as a CGI Bela Lugosi.
(https://img.pandawhale.com/23138-excellentjpg-zryq.jpeg)
"Take your filthy paws off me you damned dirty CGI ape"! :bd:
Quote from: Gusington on December 20, 2016, 10:01:07 AM
Ironclads and Witches: Byzantium 1904, The Feathering.
Don't even try to pretend you would not buy that in either tabletop or on the PC!
Hrmm...
I already have a couple 1890 iterations of that, in tabletop format. :nerd: Close enough?
I wonder if they would go way, way back in time to the early Egyptians, Hittites, Assyrians, Kushites, Nubians, etc...? Or has that been done and I'm just not aware of it?
yeah TW BC why not
Quote from: Gusington on December 19, 2016, 08:05:40 PM
We've already got Pike & Shot in the ironically named...Pike & Shot.
And I LOVED the naval combat in Fall of the Samurai. The most funnest naval combat in the whole series IMHO.
Oh come on! Lol....pike and shot is not the same as total war. It's turn-based and involves shuffling. Don't get me wrong, I love pike and shot but besides the battles, The strategic layer isn't close to TW even with the campaign DLC is not anywhere close to total war. Not even close
Quote from: Rayfer on December 20, 2016, 03:20:14 PM
I wonder if they would go way, way back in time to the early Egyptians, Hittites, Assyrians, Kushites, Nubians, etc...? Or has that been done and I'm just not aware of it?
They have apparently mentioned they have a foremost expert in the field. BC is too big to be a field. There would be say Peter Wilson for the 30 years war or the recent crusade dude (NOT Runicman) or David MAtthews for MesoAmerica. Gunpowder and Galleys would have another expert. But no single expert springs to mind for all of the Late Bronze Age Early Iron Age.
Details, mikeck, details. I remember a time (2014?) when we had very little Pike + Shot to choose from. Now get off my lawn.
Pre-eminent in the field of CA marketing hype?
Quote from: Rayfer on December 20, 2016, 03:20:14 PM
I wonder if they would go way, way back in time to the early Egyptians, Hittites, Assyrians, Kushites, Nubians, etc...? Or has that been done and I'm just not aware of it?
I'd like to see that. Not sure how wide the unit roster would be. Although they'd have a lot more flexibility in making them varied since fine details from the period can be rather spotty.
Would be interesting to see the big dreaded invasions coming from more heavily armed people from the Sea, instead of the usual Hunnic/Mongol horse peoples from the eastern steppes.
Quote from: Nefaro on December 20, 2016, 08:10:46 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on December 20, 2016, 03:20:14 PM
I wonder if they would go way, way back in time to the early Egyptians, Hittites, Assyrians, Kushites, Nubians, etc...? Or has that been done and I'm just not aware of it?
I'd like to see that. Not sure how wide the unit roster would be. Although they'd have a lot more flexibility in making them varied since fine details from the period can be rather spotty.
Would be interesting to see the big dreaded invasions coming from more heavily armed people from the Sea, instead of the usual Hunnic/Mongol horse peoples from the eastern steppes.
I'm thinking that after War Hammer, they aren't going to want to go back to a relatively low-special effects historical period like the late bronze age. I suspect some kinds of infernal machinery, either real (the tremendous explosive automaton at the Siege of Antwerp in 1585 for example) or not-so real (MesoAmerican multiple worlds or underworlds) might be in the works. Of course, Byzantium 1904 might well have both, but I don't think there is a pre-eminence in that field at the moment.
Quote from: Gusington on December 20, 2016, 06:24:50 PM
Details, mikeck, details. I remember a time (2014?) when we had very little Pike + Shot to choose from. Now get off my lawn.
Well, to be honest, I will vote for any time period that ISNT WW2
Me too. See? Peace in our time.
Quote from: Rayfer on December 20, 2016, 03:20:14 PM
I wonder if they would go way, way back in time...
In that case, why not Total War: H. Neanderthalensis v. H. Sapiens?
Yeah, or Jurassic Total War. With T-Rex Generals and Stegosaurus Tanks. And Armenians.
Quote from: mikeck on December 20, 2016, 10:54:53 PM
Quote from: Gusington on December 20, 2016, 06:24:50 PM
Details, mikeck, details. I remember a time (2014?) when we had very little Pike + Shot to choose from. Now get off my lawn.
Well, to be honest, I will vote for any time period that ISNT WW2
Thirded.
Quote from: Staggerwing on December 21, 2016, 10:06:25 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on December 20, 2016, 03:20:14 PM
I wonder if they would go way, way back in time...
In that case, why not Total War: H. Neanderthalensis v. H. Sapiens?
Tech tree: "Fire". Uh, that's about it, really.
Quote from: Staggerwing on December 21, 2016, 10:06:25 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on December 20, 2016, 03:20:14 PM
I wonder if they would go way, way back in time...
In that case, why not Total War: H. Neanderthalensis v. H. Sapiens?
LOL....good one. It could be like the opening scenes in the old sci-fi classic 2001 A Space Odyssey...your group of cavemen face off against the enemies around a watering hole clubbing each other to death with animal bones as weapons.
Knowing us we would all probably prefer the opening sequence from History of the World...
Damn. I was really hoping for Medieval 3, even though I knew odds were that wasn't going to happen anytime soon. Shy of that, I'd like to see either Empire 2 or a game set during China: Warring States period.
Actually, I wouldn't mind a game covering the Thirty Years War/Protestant Wars either. I could see that being good.
Total War New Zealand?
It could be the various Maori peoples as well as the European Settlers
I would though love to see the Total War Frederick the Great or Total War Ancient Mesopotamia!