GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Jarhead0331 on January 02, 2017, 03:08:30 PM

Title: IL-2 Sturmovik - 1946 CUP mod is kaput!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 02, 2017, 03:08:30 PM
..its now called "Battlefield-Airborne-Tactical" (B.A.T.) and...are you ready for it...it is a one-click install.

http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,53512.0.html (http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,53512.0.html)

The DL links are in the manual.

May be difficult to get if you have limited bandwidth or a slow connection. The BAT files, and there are 29 of them, weigh in at just under 50 GB. You also have to DL the SAS Mega Patch, which is 12 files itself, and is probably another 2 to 2.5 GB.
Title: Re: IL-2 Sturmovik - 1946 CUP mod is kaput!
Post by: Bardolph on January 02, 2017, 11:31:24 PM
Will have to take my computer to go visit someplace with modern internet to D/L it lol.
Title: Re: IL-2 Sturmovik - 1946 CUP mod is kaput!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 03, 2017, 07:05:29 AM
Quote from: Bardolph on January 02, 2017, 11:31:24 PM
Will have to take my computer to go visit someplace with modern internet to D/L it lol.

Yeah. It's been a difficult process so far. But I guess having a good mod that simulates the history of military aviation is worth some effort.
Title: Re: IL-2 Sturmovik - 1946 CUP mod is kaput!
Post by: Yskonyn on January 03, 2017, 07:20:59 AM
I see that, rather than keeping a WW2 theme, this mod crosses many aviation era's.
While I do think the idea is nice, I don't think the game engine is well suited for the modern stuff.
Are they simulating avionics as well? At what fidelity if so?
Title: Re: IL-2 Sturmovik - 1946 CUP mod is kaput!
Post by: jomni on January 03, 2017, 08:08:06 AM
Here's a sample.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnd9dseGA9w
Title: Re: IL-2 Sturmovik - 1946 CUP mod is kaput!
Post by: Yskonyn on January 03, 2017, 08:11:26 AM
Thanks jomni!
Title: Re: IL-2 Sturmovik - 1946 CUP mod is kaput!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 03, 2017, 09:09:13 PM
Title: Re: IL-2 Sturmovik - 1946 CUP mod is kaput!
Post by: jomni on January 03, 2017, 09:12:33 PM
It's got that Thirdwire Strike Fighters 2 vibe.
Title: Re: IL-2 Sturmovik - 1946 CUP mod is kaput!
Post by: ArizonaTank on January 04, 2017, 01:57:04 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 02, 2017, 03:08:30 PM
..its now called "Battlefield-Airborne-Tactical" (B.A.T.) and...are you ready for it...it is a one-click install.

http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,53512.0.html (http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,53512.0.html)

The DL links are in the manual.

May be difficult to get if you have limited bandwidth or a slow connection. The BAT files, and there are 29 of them, weigh in at just under 50 GB. You also have to DL the SAS Mega Patch, which is 12 files itself, and is probably another 2 to 2.5 GB.

Good stuff, thanks for sharing.
Title: Re: IL-2 Sturmovik - 1946 CUP mod is kaput!
Post by: ArizonaTank on January 14, 2017, 05:11:55 PM
Maybe it's just my rig, but the BAT mod is not working...trashes my install. 

But the SAS super patch works well, and that alone is worth the price of admission.
Title: Re: IL-2 Sturmovik - 1946 CUP mod is kaput!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 15, 2017, 07:18:22 AM
Quote from: ArizonaTank on January 14, 2017, 05:11:55 PM
Maybe it's just my rig, but the BAT mod is not working...trashes my install. 

But the SAS super patch works well, and that alone is worth the price of admission.

It took a lot of time and frustration for me to get the mod working. The biggest problem seemed to be getting corrupt free files for the install...all 29 of them.

The most disappointing part of the experience was learning that the CUP/BAT community is filled with a bunch of self-important know it all douchebags. A really unhelpful community that expects you to read a 200 page manual before asking a single question.
Title: Re: IL-2 Sturmovik - 1946 CUP mod is kaput!
Post by: ArizonaTank on January 15, 2017, 01:49:30 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 15, 2017, 07:18:22 AM
Quote from: ArizonaTank on January 14, 2017, 05:11:55 PM
Maybe it's just my rig, but the BAT mod is not working...trashes my install. 

But the SAS super patch works well, and that alone is worth the price of admission.

It took a lot of time and frustration for me to get the mod working. The biggest problem seemed to be getting corrupt free files for the install...all 29 of them.

The most disappointing part of the experience was learning that the CUP/BAT community is filled with a bunch of self-important know it all douchebags. A really unhelpful community that expects you to read a 200 page manual before asking a single question.

How did you know the files were corruption free?  They are all zip files, and seem to pass ZIPs internal checksum.  But I suspect there is a problem with the ones I brought down, since there is corruption, or incomplete files somewhere.
Title: Re: IL-2 Sturmovik - 1946 CUP mod is kaput!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 15, 2017, 10:19:13 PM
Quote from: ArizonaTank on January 15, 2017, 01:49:30 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 15, 2017, 07:18:22 AM
Quote from: ArizonaTank on January 14, 2017, 05:11:55 PM
Maybe it's just my rig, but the BAT mod is not working...trashes my install. 

But the SAS super patch works well, and that alone is worth the price of admission.

It took a lot of time and frustration for me to get the mod working. The biggest problem seemed to be getting corrupt free files for the install...all 29 of them.

The most disappointing part of the experience was learning that the CUP/BAT community is filled with a bunch of self-important know it all douchebags. A really unhelpful community that expects you to read a 200 page manual before asking a single question.

How did you know the files were corruption free?  They are all zip files, and seem to pass ZIPs internal checksum.  But I suspect there is a problem with the ones I brought down, since there is corruption, or incomplete files somewhere.

I downloaded a free program that scans rar files for problems.
Title: Re: IL-2 Sturmovik - 1946 CUP mod is kaput!
Post by: DoctorQuest on April 05, 2017, 10:45:04 AM
I managed to get everything downloaded successfully the first time. I used BitTorrent to get the BAT zips. It is all safely archived on my external backup drive. Whew!  O0

It seems to run fine on my rig with a little minor tuning. The biggest issue I've had is with the User Interface. When I set my resolution to my desktop default I get a CTD. I can manually update conf.ini and it works fine. The sim itself is running flawlessly with the basic BAT updates. I have not attempted any expansion packs yet.

Good find, JH. Thanks!
Title: Re: IL-2 Sturmovik - 1946 CUP mod is kaput!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on April 05, 2017, 10:49:28 AM
Quote from: DoctorQuest on April 05, 2017, 10:45:04 AM
I managed to get everything downloaded successfully the first time. I used BitTorrent to get the BAT zips. It is all safely archived on my external backup drive. Whew!  O0

It seems to run fine on my rig with a little minor tuning. The biggest issue I've had is with the User Interface. When I set my resolution to my desktop default I get a CTD. I can manually update conf.ini and it works fine. The sim itself is running flawlessly with the basic BAT updates. I have not attempted any expansion packs yet.

Good find, JH. Thanks!

Awesome! Glad to hear. I had to manually configure my config.ini file, as well. I wasn't getting a CTD, but the image on my multi-monitor setup was all out of wack.

Definitely prioritize getting those expansion modules installed. They add so much to the mod and the game. Just make sure you follow the instructions carefully. I think it starts to get a little more complex around expansion 7 and then after expansion 9, there is a check point install. I'm patched through expansion 10 and there is just so much game here, its ridiculous.
Title: Re: IL-2 Sturmovik - 1946 CUP mod is kaput!
Post by: Gusington on April 05, 2017, 12:25:48 PM
All I need to begin attempting the install of the patch and the mod is IL21946? I might try it this weekend.
Title: Re: IL-2 Sturmovik - 1946 CUP mod is kaput!
Post by: DoctorQuest on April 05, 2017, 12:38:12 PM
Quote from: Gusington on April 05, 2017, 12:25:48 PM
All I need to begin attempting the install of the patch and the mod is IL21946? I might try it this weekend.

I had it on DVD but I ended up just grabbing the GoG version for the sake of simplicity. That version worked just fine. I set up a separate folder for the BAT install.
Title: Re: IL-2 Sturmovik - 1946 CUP mod is kaput!
Post by: Gusington on April 05, 2017, 01:05:13 PM
I have the Steam version. I would guess I would have to do the same as you.
Title: Re: IL-2 Sturmovik - 1946 CUP mod is kaput!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on April 05, 2017, 02:52:30 PM
Quote from: Gusington on April 05, 2017, 01:05:13 PM
I have the Steam version. I would guess I would have to do the same as you.

I have the steam version. No separate folder. You install directly into the steamapps/common/IL-2 1946 folder.
Title: Re: IL-2 Sturmovik - 1946 CUP mod is kaput!
Post by: DoctorQuest on April 05, 2017, 03:08:55 PM
You certainly don't need a separate folder. I just wanted to segregate my BAT install from my current IL-2 install.
Title: Re: IL-2 Sturmovik - 1946 CUP mod is kaput!
Post by: Pete Dero on April 05, 2017, 03:23:27 PM
Quote from: DoctorQuest on April 05, 2017, 03:08:55 PM
You certainly don't need a separate folder. I just wanted to segregate my BAT install from my current IL-2 install.

After installation there should be a file IL-2 selector.exe in the main directory (you need this to select the era you like in the modded game).

This file also allows you to select and run the stock game, even with all the BAT files installed.
Title: Re: IL-2 Sturmovik - 1946 CUP mod is kaput!
Post by: DoctorQuest on April 05, 2017, 03:29:03 PM
Quote from: Pete Dero on April 05, 2017, 03:23:27 PM
Quote from: DoctorQuest on April 05, 2017, 03:08:55 PM
You certainly don't need a separate folder. I just wanted to segregate my BAT install from my current IL-2 install.

After installation there should be a file IL-2 selector.exe in the main directory (you need this to select the era you like in the modded game).

This file also allows you to select and run the stock game, even with all the BAT files installed.

Yes, indeed.

With all that I still wanted to keep my original install intact. Just a personal choice of an IT guy with 35 years of experience seeing software installs go belly up.  :pullhair:
Title: Re: IL-2 Sturmovik - 1946 CUP mod is kaput!
Post by: DoctorQuest on April 06, 2017, 11:29:06 AM
I guess you do what you need to do but, man, I wish they could find a better download provider than mediafire.

Maybe we could all donate and buy them a server.... :)
Title: Re: IL-2 Sturmovik - 1946 CUP mod is kaput!
Post by: Pete Dero on April 06, 2017, 12:15:35 PM
Quote from: DoctorQuest on April 06, 2017, 11:29:06 AM
I guess you do what you need to do but, man, I wish they could find a better download provider than mediafire.

Maybe we could all donate and buy them a server.... :)

THE B.A.T. TORRENT FILE CONTAINS ALL 29 PARTS BAT01 TO BAT29  (source : https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,53691.0.html)

http://www.sas1946.com/downloads/essentialsas/diverse/BAT_v1.torrent
Title: Re: IL-2 Sturmovik - 1946 CUP mod is kaput!
Post by: DoctorQuest on April 06, 2017, 12:22:24 PM
Quote from: Pete Dero on April 06, 2017, 12:15:35 PM
Quote from: DoctorQuest on April 06, 2017, 11:29:06 AM
I guess you do what you need to do but, man, I wish they could find a better download provider than mediafire.

Maybe we could all donate and buy them a server.... :)

THE B.A.T. TORRENT FILE CONTAINS ALL 29 PARTS BAT01 TO BAT29  (source : https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,53691.0.html)

http://www.sas1946.com/downloads/essentialsas/diverse/BAT_v1.torrent

Yup. Did that. I wish they had torrents for the expansion packs. I will muddle through it. I do realize these guys are working for free and I DO appreciate that. I don't want to give the impression I am ungrateful for their efforts. It just seems like it take several attempts to get a good download from mediafire. I don't know if signing up for their paid services would help.
Title: Re: IL-2 Sturmovik - 1946 CUP mod is kaput!
Post by: Pete Dero on April 06, 2017, 12:39:55 PM
Quote from: DoctorQuest on April 06, 2017, 12:22:24 PM
I wish they had torrents for the expansion packs.

Alternative downloads for all bat files (not mediafire)  http://www.derrierloisirs.fr/il2/bdd2012/B_A_T.html  (bottom of the left column)
Title: Re: IL-2 Sturmovik - 1946 CUP mod is kaput!
Post by: DoctorQuest on April 06, 2017, 01:22:17 PM
Quote from: Pete Dero on April 06, 2017, 12:39:55 PM
Quote from: DoctorQuest on April 06, 2017, 12:22:24 PM
I wish they had torrents for the expansion packs.

Alternative downloads for all bat files (not mediafire)  http://www.derrierloisirs.fr/il2/bdd2012/B_A_T.html  (bottom of the left column)

Thank you, sir! I apologize if that was documented somewhere and I missed it.
Title: Re: IL-2 Sturmovik - 1946 CUP mod is kaput!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on September 26, 2018, 08:37:18 AM
I'm bumping this thread because I recently had to do a re-install of B.A.T. with all the expansions. It has once again come a long way since I started this thread. They have released multiple expansions of the base mod...there is literally 125 years of aviation in this mod. I ignore the Dawn of Flight stuff, but absolutely love the WWII options and jet age stuff. There are hundreds of aircraft modeled...recon, fighters, bombers, prop, jet, helicopters, etc. They have accomplished a truly amazing thing with this mod and really kept IL-2 1946 alive.

Download and install was much easier for me this go around, but it did take a lot of time to download everything. The mod all together will weigh in at over 60GB! Still, I think its totally worth it. I was disappointed with the initial release of Wings over the Reich, largely because of the lack of scope and limited aircraft to pilot. IL-2 1946 with this mod installed is the total opposite experience.

Here is a showcase of some of the latest...







This last video only seems to be using the SAS mega mod, but it doesn't appear to be using the SAS BAT mod...still, the scale...it shows off what the engine is capable of.

Title: Re: IL-2 Sturmovik - 1946 CUP mod is kaput!
Post by: Sir Slash on September 26, 2018, 09:33:14 AM
Very nice! Takes me back to my days of catastrophic failures playing this game.  :hide:
Title: Re: IL-2 Sturmovik - 1946 CUP mod is kaput!
Post by: RyanE on September 26, 2018, 11:14:41 AM
IL2 1946 with all its modes has to be the biggest bang for your buck in flight sim history.
Title: Re: IL-2 Sturmovik - 1946 CUP mod is kaput!
Post by: WallysWorld on July 18, 2020, 01:56:08 PM
I finally installed BAT for IL 1946 and I was surprised that it went very well after hearing from some that the install process is combersome. 90 GB of downloads altogether from the vanilla install to the latest patch. The installers all ran fine with no issues.

Now my IL2 1946 folder is 88 GB in size. I also downloaded DGEN 1.4 for BAT and that comes with a lot(!) of campaigns. So many planes and maps with BAT!
Title: Re: IL-2 Sturmovik - 1946 CUP mod is kaput!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on July 18, 2020, 03:32:18 PM
Yeah...it's a mind numbing amount of content.
Title: Re: IL-2 Sturmovik - 1946 CUP mod is kaput!
Post by: JasonPratt on July 18, 2020, 05:35:41 PM


And this was back in 2016! -- when we weren't as old!  >:D