(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fusarmy.vo.llnwd.net%2Fe2%2Fc%2Fimages%2F2012%2F06%2F08%2F250811%2Fsize0.jpg&hash=52171627d3939a249aecd6d8a51d74adc9545ebd)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexternal.com%2Fboyles%2Fimages%2FArmy.jpg&hash=993ae59e143bbc4d32ee6303503d8c3c4d675e44)
I'm so used to celebrating November 10th as my military birthday that its been difficult to switch gears and get excited about June 14th. At least its easy to remember, my real birthday is June 13th! ;D
Happy Birthday JH
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 15, 2012, 06:41:46 AM
I'm so used to celebrating November 10th as my military birthday that its been difficult to switch gears and get excited about June 14th. At least its easy to remember, my real birthday is June 13th! ;D
Do you get (or choose) to wear the USMC service patch?
Happy Birthday US Army.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Ffarm8.staticflickr.com%2F7225%2F7187576475_c2a9be38af_z.jpg&hash=5533da2d66cdcf5c4aa5ea8ffe75103412e36ddf)
Quote from: Centurion40 on June 15, 2012, 07:29:13 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 15, 2012, 06:41:46 AM
I'm so used to celebrating November 10th as my military birthday that its been difficult to switch gears and get excited about June 14th. At least its easy to remember, my real birthday is June 13th! ;D
Do you get (or choose) to wear the USMC service patch?
I can wear all of my USMC ribbons on my army uniform.
@0kult
Thanks!
Did anyone see the tank covered in cupcakes, that actually shoots cupcakes. :)
http://wtvr.com/2012/06/14/cupcake-tank-a-sweet-commemoration-of-army-birthday/
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 15, 2012, 08:03:36 AM
Quote from: Centurion40 on June 15, 2012, 07:29:13 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 15, 2012, 06:41:46 AM
I'm so used to celebrating November 10th as my military birthday that its been difficult to switch gears and get excited about June 14th. At least its easy to remember, my real birthday is June 13th! ;D
Do you get (or choose) to wear the USMC service patch?
I can wear all of my USMC ribbons on my army uniform.
That's pretty cool.
Happy b-day US Army!
BTW, yesterday I ran into a WWII vet wearing an 8th Air Corps hat. Chatted with him for a bit - he served at the tail end of WWII as a kind of air traffic controller. It was cool chatting with him. Daughter #2 was with me and she really appreciated the opportunity to meet him, too.
I'm going to split this topic* so that we can get back on track with honoring the Army's birthday, and put the other crap in a different thread.
Sorry to have derailed you, Bison - I'm at least partially responsible....
* truth in advertising: this is partly a test to make sure I understand how to split topics.
OK - as a part of the split, I tried to retitle the threads. In doing so, it looks like "modified" the first post of each thread. I guess I did, but it was only to try and distinguish the two threads
I remember a former SMA wanting to make a much bigger deal out of the Army birthday when he was the senior NCO in the service. He wanted to be as memorable to the Army as November Whatsit is to the Marines. He even joked about (paraphrasing) "if there are two of you deployed out in a foxhole somewhere I expect you to stick a match in an MRE pound cake, sing 'Happy Birthday' to the Army and blow out the match before you split the cake"
I don't know that the Army is ever going to match the Marines for esprit-de-corps (got a few hundred years of catching up to do), but it would be nice for them to close the gap and do so organically rather than with some contrived quasi-ripoff traditions. Celebrating the birthday of the Army is a good start.
Little late but Happy Birthday US Army. I thought the USMA artillery range sounded a little more raucous than usual.
Bison - love the new "gone fishing" avatar