GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: acctingman on January 21, 2017, 06:03:41 PM

Title: Elder Scrolls Online
Post by: acctingman on January 21, 2017, 06:03:41 PM
Hello

Has anyone tried this game out? I'm an ex-MMO'er (WOW, EQ, LoTR, Rift, GW2) and I've been jonesin' for another MMO that I haven't played.

Heard it sucked at release, but now it's pretty decent.

Any quick things you like...things you don't like about it?

I'm 100% solo/casual play.

Gracias!
Title: Re: Elder Scrolls Online
Post by: Nefaro on January 21, 2017, 06:06:21 PM
I read that it's rather oriented towards group play.

But the same can be said for many MMORPGs I suppose.  Don't know where it lies on that scale.
Title: Re: Elder Scrolls Online
Post by: JasonPratt on January 21, 2017, 06:13:06 PM
I'm well into the second main area (the Shivering Isles) and haven't seen any truly mandatory group play yet.

It is, however, a very busy MMO, in the sense that there are a bunch of other hugely obvious player characters going around doing the same things you're doing. For me it kills immersion, which is why after a while I set it aside.
Title: Re: Elder Scrolls Online
Post by: Geezer on January 21, 2017, 06:15:41 PM
Played many, many hours of it.  It's a fine MMO, especially if you have any interest in the Elder Scrolls.
Title: Re: Elder Scrolls Online
Post by: Greybriar on January 21, 2017, 08:39:31 PM
I purchased the Elder Scrolls Online Imperial Edition and never opened it. I've been debating on whether to give Elder Scrolls Online a try, but I am beginning to doubt I ever will.

Edit: Here's a YouTube video of Finngamer unboxing one:

Title: Re: Elder Scrolls Online
Post by: Nefaro on April 11, 2017, 08:15:42 PM
So this is 67% Off for the next week.

At $9.90 it's probably time I give it a shot.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/306130/



Oddly, I haven't played a single PC game in over a month.  Probably two months, or more, now that I think about it.  Quite a long funk.

Figure I just need something different for awhile.  Haven't really played an MMO in years so what the hell.. at that price.
Title: Re: Elder Scrolls Online
Post by: acctingman on April 11, 2017, 09:03:04 PM
I played it for maybe a month and I haven't touched in 3+ weeks and I just took it off my HDD. Nothing wrong with the game. It's purdy, people seemed no douchier than any other MMO I've played. Quests aren't too bad and the dungeon que's weren't terribly long. I tried crafting but I gave up within a week. Some are easier to get into than others. Alchemy seemed nice but the other ones, from what I read and what I tried myself (small sample size) the other ones are kind of a grind. But, I have to admit I've never been a crafter in the 20+ years I've MMO'd.

I quit because frankly I'm MMO'd out and I think done with the genre.

Title: Re: Elder Scrolls Online
Post by: spelk on April 12, 2017, 05:35:30 AM
Quote from: Geezer on January 21, 2017, 06:15:41 PM
Played many, many hours of it.  It's a fine MMO, especially if you have any interest in the Elder Scrolls.

I would echo the same sentiments as Geezer here.

Put in a lot of hours, thoroughly enjoyed my time in the world, including some of the expansions. It's very much an easier affair to team up now that they put in place the "One Tamriel" leveller. Basically you can play with anyone, any race/class combo at any level.. and just do content together.

http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/One+Tamriel

I fully intend to back into that world, once I have time for it.
Title: Re: Elder Scrolls Online
Post by: spelk on April 12, 2017, 05:39:10 AM
Quote from: acctingman on April 11, 2017, 09:03:04 PM
I tried crafting but I gave up within a week. Some are easier to get into than others. Alchemy seemed nice but the other ones, from what I read and what I tried myself (small sample size) the other ones are kind of a grind. But, I have to admit I've never been a crafter in the 20+ years I've MMO'd.

One thing about the crafting system is that you can't do everything well, plus the crafting skills use the same experience points collected as do your fighting, armour, and resource harvesting skills. So you have to pick and choose a bit more. But you can craft some items low level, that are very usable, until you find better quest rewards, or become a more proficient crafter. Crafting can be a bit of a grind, but then that is crafting. If you enjoy it, you'll be at home here. If you don't - go hit something with your bonker instead :)
Title: Re: Elder Scrolls Online
Post by: Yskonyn on April 12, 2017, 06:35:46 AM
The game looks great and in theory has a great story, but I am with Jason on this: the amount of people running around doing the same thing as you, killing the same boss over and over again really kills my immersion. This is a problem I have with almost all MMO's and caused me shying away from them over time. I rather play a good story where I am really THE hero, so RPG's are SP for me.

The only MMO's I like are sandbox ones where story doesnt matter much.
Title: Re: Elder Scrolls Online
Post by: Nefaro on April 12, 2017, 11:16:45 AM
Thanks for the input guys.

Others running around everywhere doesn't bother me.  Unless the game has such poor mechanical implementation that there are waiting lines forming for finishing things.  Then I get frustrated because there have been design workarounds for such things, in MMOs, for a long time. 

I've actually had some enjoyable times over the years with random passers-by and pick-up groups.  So I view having other people running around in my game as a bonus avenue of options.  Even if I don't feel like being all that social at any one moment.  Having some of that population doing constant territorial faction PvP is a plus too.   :arr: