GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Destraex on January 26, 2017, 09:02:00 AM

Title: Sad news - War of the Roses servers shutting down late Feb :(
Post by: Destraex on January 26, 2017, 09:02:00 AM
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/war-of-the-roses-shutting-down.995096/

I loved this game very much and even after they dumbed the armour system down. It was so historical and the physics system was great.
Compared to it's rival chivalry it was amazing. RIP War of the Roses... a great shame war of the vikings killed you.

Could Mordhau be a replacement?






(mod edit: fixed Youtube embedding.  Please see info here (http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=4814.0))
Title: Re: Sad news - War of the Roses servers shutting down late Feb :(
Post by: HoodedHorseJoe on January 26, 2017, 09:46:23 AM
Such a shame. I previewed/reviewed both Roses and Vikings when they were doing the rounds. They were actually pretty good games - Roses was very skill based... Vikings less so I think but I played that less than I played Roses, oddly enough.

They didn't capture the mainstream appeal I think Paradox hoped though - Chivalry kind of beat them to the punch I think.

Shame they're taking it down completely though - not even private servers will be able to run. It's like they're erasing it from existence.
Title: Re: Sad news - War of the Roses servers shutting down late Feb :(
Post by: Nefaro on January 26, 2017, 02:31:10 PM
War Of The Roses was dead years ago.

Back when people started using ridiculous speed hacks to fly around the map in a blur.  The developers didn't stop it in time.  Hell.. AFAIK they never did prevent all the blatant cheats being used in the game.  Instead implementing some extra micro-transactions nonsense.

I saw server populations drop in no time when it became a regularity.   Never recovered.  Surprised it took this long for them to pull the plug. 
Title: Re: Sad news - War of the Roses servers shutting down late Feb :(
Post by: Destraex on January 26, 2017, 05:53:46 PM
War of the Roses is still played and their are still private servers paid and operating that will have to get refunds from multiplay who host them simply because the backend and anti-cheat are being taken down.

War of the Roses is still the best medieval combat game I have seen published and working but they screwed the pooch on a number of levels because they did not seem to have a good common plan on direction and some basic necessities. It's almost like their initial success took them by surprise. I noticed.

i) Blocking delay
ii) Slow getting local servers for Australia where I am
iii) Anti-cheat - there was none for a very long time.
iv) They were successful enough that I seem to remember them renaming the game and relaunching it after taking it in-house and getting rid of fatshark and then gordon van dyke (the producer?) moved on.
v) They changed a good historical combat system half way through the game dumbing the game down essentially to get rid of a knight in armours advantage. People were complaining they could not slash through armour with swords. Instead they just needed something more akin to RO2's system of limiting classes. Instead of dumbing down Machine guns ro2 simply only allowed the historical number per squad/section.
vi) Slow getting rid of exploits like when people were literally taking advantage of the realism by killing fully armour knights by cutting their leather shoes... aiming for the floor and killing them with one blow through the shoe!
vii) Slow to balance weapons and kit. 
Viii) Then their was the whole new age female face in game. What a waste of resources.

Apart from this the game was great and I had many great physics base duels in it. Loved that you could aim for different parts of the body and that if they were covered by different types of protection that was taken into account. The weapons and armour 3D models were absolutely amazing and well researched. I doubt we will see their like again in a game. The historical setting alone was done very well and I felt like I was in a medieval battle in some maps. The voice overs were also very good.

Somebody needs to preserve Brian Blesseds voice overs before the game dies!
BTW they are open to selling the IP but claim this is not them but some shadowy fellow in the background?

P.S. The only micro transaction I remember was the Brian Blessed voice overs that if you purchased replaced the standard ones? What were the other ones?
Title: Re: Sad news - War of the Roses servers shutting down late Feb :(
Post by: Toonces on January 26, 2017, 06:03:18 PM
WotR was great until the introduced microtransactions.  Between that and the hacking, the game was almost unplayable.  I never could get into Chivalry; WotR was the far superior game IMO.

Of Kings and Men is a nice alternative, although I haven't played it in quite a while, so not sure what its current status is.
Title: Re: Sad news - War of the Roses servers shutting down late Feb :(
Post by: jomni on January 26, 2017, 06:14:56 PM
I played both and loved both. I played more Chivalry once the WOTR population went away.
WOTR had serious lagging when you're playing with high pings.  Chivalry not so much and much more fluid.
Title: Re: Sad news - War of the Roses servers shutting down late Feb :(
Post by: Destraex on January 26, 2017, 06:49:28 PM
I just could not get into the massive swing mentality of chivalry and the initial "have to swing one way first" mechanic. You could literally swing through armour. It was not really a combat system but a simple game.
I could also not get over the bad animations and even worse armour mish mash. I did try.
Has it improved?
Title: Re: Sad news - War of the Roses servers shutting down late Feb :(
Post by: Destraex on January 26, 2017, 07:59:44 PM
Well the IP is for sale. But I doubt a dead game is worth anything to anybody unless somebody can tap into the great potential of this game with another dev team.
Title: Re: Sad news - War of the Roses servers shutting down late Feb :(
Post by: jomni on January 27, 2017, 07:05:20 PM
Quote from: Destraex on January 26, 2017, 06:49:28 PM
I just could not get into the massive swing mentality of chivalry and the initial "have to swing one way first" mechanic. You could literally swing through armour. It was not really a combat system but a simple game.
I could also not get over the bad animations and even worse armour mish mash. I did try.
Has it improved?

If you're going for accuracy, Chivalry isn't your game.
Title: Re: Sad news - War of the Roses servers shutting down late Feb :(
Post by: Destraex on January 29, 2017, 06:46:01 AM
The problem is, I cannot find a suitable replacement.
It feels like apart from you guys here. I am almost on my own in the appreciation of realistic games.
Title: Re: Sad news - War of the Roses servers shutting down late Feb :(
Post by: Philippe on January 29, 2017, 12:03:00 PM
Quote from: Destraex on January 29, 2017, 06:46:01 AM
The problem is, I cannot find a suitable replacement.

Mount and Blade with the 1429 la Guerre de Cent Ans mod?
Title: Re: Sad news - War of the Roses servers shutting down late Feb :(
Post by: Toonces on January 29, 2017, 02:39:56 PM
I was also going to suggest Mount and Blade, which I'm sure you're aware of.  For some online fun, I highly recommend jumping onto one of the siege servers, especially if there are more than 100 people on.  It's total mayhem.

You also might want to look at Of Kings and Men.

Mount and Blade has about a million mods, and has the added advantage of having robust single player.
Title: Re: Sad news - War of the Roses servers shutting down late Feb :(
Post by: Cyrano on January 29, 2017, 04:11:07 PM
Hey, guys, you do know M&B has a NAPOLEONIC mod, right?

O:-)
Title: Re: Sad news - War of the Roses servers shutting down late Feb :(
Post by: Destraex on January 29, 2017, 05:47:35 PM
I have mount and blade napoleon but their was not enough of a game their to keep me interested. I mean not enough napoleonic style warfare. Formations and such. I am sure their are servers out there that do it. My son plays it religiously and loves it to death.

Of kings and men is too gamey I think.

Mount and blade I might try again. But it looks horrible as do the animations. The fighting system is ok but pretty basic.
Title: Re: Sad news - War of the Roses servers shutting down late Feb :(
Post by: jomni on January 29, 2017, 06:25:19 PM
Quote from: Destraex on January 29, 2017, 05:47:35 PM
I have mount and blade napoleon but their was not enough of a game their to keep me interested. I mean not enough napoleonic style warfare. Formations and such. I am sure their are servers out there that do it. My son plays it religiously and loves it to death.

Of kings and men is too gamey I think.

Mount and blade I might try again. But it looks horrible as do the animations. The fighting system is ok but pretty basic.

You want to try out Tiger Knight? But it's Asian themed.

Edit: Oops. I think you are already playing it.
Title: Re: Sad news - War of the Roses servers shutting down late Feb :(
Post by: Toonces on January 29, 2017, 07:28:34 PM
OMG, M&B Napoleon online is just about as much fun as I've had online.  Just simple mayhem.  I'm talking about the free-for-all servers, not the formation RP servers.

Interesting you think Of Kings is gamey compared to WotR.  I didn't feel that way at all. 
Title: Re: Sad news - War of the Roses servers shutting down late Feb :(
Post by: Destraex on January 30, 2017, 03:54:29 AM
I don't mind the Asian theme at all. I have had tiger knight for a while. However it is too laggy and hero oriented to play.
Was looking forward to the Romans though.
Title: Re: Sad news - War of the Roses servers shutting down late Feb :(
Post by: Philippe on January 30, 2017, 09:33:48 AM
I'm rather partial to M&B Viking Conquest myself, but then I have a thing about forming shield walls.
Title: Re: Sad news - War of the Roses servers shutting down late Feb :(
Post by: Boggit on February 03, 2017, 12:53:38 AM
I still play Mount and Blade. There are some really cool mods for it, although I'm currently still playing Viking Conquest.
Title: Re: Sad news - War of the Roses servers shutting down late Feb :(
Post by: Philippe on February 03, 2017, 05:14:05 PM
I love Viking Conquest but still play Brytenwalda (both versions).
Title: Re: Sad news - War of the Roses servers shutting down late Feb :(
Post by: jomni on February 10, 2017, 08:12:48 AM
Destraex. Have you seen Kingdom Come?
https://youtu.be/W6Bp9fkplNo
Title: Re: Sad news - War of the Roses servers shutting down late Feb :(
Post by: Destraex on February 11, 2017, 12:30:19 AM
Yes. It looked ok but is single player only. The AI and animations currently are not that impressive either. You know when you can tell in a cartoon when they have not included enough cards in the flick pack? Things look less fluid.
I also don't know if it is as good as roses system. I like the parrying but don't know if location damage and armour is modelled properly. I also love the helmet view.
It's being developed for console later which rings alarm bells about them restricting themselves on purpose to make the port more easy. So I don't know. Hard to know what the combat system is like from a video.
Title: Re: Sad news - War of the Roses servers shutting down late Feb :(
Post by: Destraex on July 11, 2024, 01:08:01 AM
I have not tried this but their is a chance that war of the roses may be playable again due to somebody making a new fix.
Could be a very risky deal as the file is obviously unofficial and by an unknown author while also being an executable.