GrogHeads Forum

Tabletop Gaming, Models, and Minis => Wargaming => Topic started by: bbmike on January 26, 2017, 03:39:39 PM

Title: Finally! A Board Game Table!
Post by: bbmike on January 26, 2017, 03:39:39 PM
Taking inspiration from this thread that GJK posted (http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=13182.0) on how he created his table, I decided to finally build my own. If found this table on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ERJGNF0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1) for $87.00. Not the highest quality but not too bad either. I didn't want to refinish anything and my wife wanted a nice desk to use for work that matched the existing decor. Luckily, the top was not glued on and I only had to remove some screws to detach it. I bought a 1/2" 2'x4' oak plywood board to make the bottom out of for $14.00. I also bought a bag of alignment pins for the top (about $8.00) so I could line it up easier when putting it back on. The alignment pins also keep the top in place when the table is used as a regular desk. I cut the bottom to fit and applied some iron on black laminate to the edges to make it look a little more finished. So, for a little less than $120, I have a nice (but small) gaming table! The usable playing area is about 42"x21.5" and it's about 2.75" deep. I won't be playing anything big on it but at least it fits in my small, 100 year old row house. I might look at reprinting some of the larger game boards to see if I can make them fit.

I plan to finish the bottom of the table soon. I have an extra Pro Matz galactic map that I was going to line the bottom with but I'm not sure that I want to cut it down. I do have some extra green felt and foam board that I can use instead so I might do that.

Here are some pictures:

Taking off the table top.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aarcentral.com%2F%2Ftpics%2Fgt1.jpg&hash=f6df9859761af10c09143312da5bf6d9112deb28)

The assembled, brand new game table! (kind of hard to see but the top is leaning against the hutch)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aarcentral.com%2F%2Ftpics%2Fgt2.jpg&hash=986b5a5af4effd2f01dcc410794a68587c2679e3)

The table with the top on.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aarcentral.com%2F%2Ftpics%2Fgt4.jpg&hash=1145b694a18ce991d4e4b976341543a5b218cb62)

I can't wait to finally set up a game and play! Those poor cats will have no way to destroy my board and counters.  8)
Title: Re: Finally! A Board Game Table!
Post by: GJK on January 26, 2017, 06:08:24 PM
Outf'ing standing!  That came out really good!  I like the way the bottom (light color) looks in that dark wood so I don't know that I'd put anything permanent down to be honest.  If you need something to lay down so that a map won't slide around, we use these for ASL maps (with plexi on top of it all): https://www.walmart.com/ip/38055921

You could cut a few pieces to fit and use them when needed.

Great job!  Pretty easy to do, huh?
Title: Re: Finally! A Board Game Table!
Post by: bayonetbrant on January 26, 2017, 06:08:57 PM
Looks awesome!
Title: Re: Finally! A Board Game Table!
Post by: Bison on January 26, 2017, 06:11:25 PM
Quote from: bbmike on January 26, 2017, 03:39:39 PM
I didn't want to refinish anything and my wife wanted a nice desk to use for work that matched the existing decor.

Uh...so how is this a gaming desk again?  :P
Title: Re: Finally! A Board Game Table!
Post by: mirth on January 26, 2017, 06:43:50 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 26, 2017, 06:08:57 PM
Looks awesome!

+1
Title: Re: Finally! A Board Game Table!
Post by: Barthheart on January 26, 2017, 07:06:59 PM
Great job!  O0

Did you stain or clear coat the inside playing surface?
Title: Re: Finally! A Board Game Table!
Post by: bbmike on January 26, 2017, 07:16:17 PM
Thanks, everyone!

Quote from: Barthheart on January 26, 2017, 07:06:59 PM
Great job!  O0

Did you stain or clear coat the inside playing surface?

No, but that's not a bad idea.
Title: Re: Finally! A Board Game Table!
Post by: Barthheart on January 26, 2017, 07:37:39 PM
Quote from: bbmike on January 26, 2017, 07:16:17 PM
Thanks, everyone!

Quote from: Barthheart on January 26, 2017, 07:06:59 PM
Great job!  O0

Did you stain or clear coat the inside playing surface?

No, but that's not a bad idea.

Clear coat or Varathane will help keep the dice dents outta the surface.
Title: Re: Finally! A Board Game Table!
Post by: Toonces on January 26, 2017, 07:51:18 PM
Very nice!    :dreamer:
Title: Re: Finally! A Board Game Table!
Post by: Staggerwing on January 26, 2017, 09:32:05 PM
Nice work!
Title: Re: Finally! A Board Game Table!
Post by: Cyrano on January 26, 2017, 10:46:47 PM
 :bd:
Title: Re: Finally! A Board Game Table!
Post by: GJK on January 26, 2017, 10:48:38 PM
Soon we can start a thread entitled "What's inside your table?".  :)
Title: Re: Finally! A Board Game Table!
Post by: Nefaro on January 26, 2017, 11:18:33 PM
Quote from: GJK on January 26, 2017, 10:48:38 PM
Soon we can start a thread entitled "What's inside your table?".  :)


Kinky.
Title: Re: Finally! A Board Game Table!
Post by: Crossroads on January 27, 2017, 05:17:02 AM
Fabulous stuff!  :clap:

Quote from: bbmike on January 26, 2017, 03:39:39 PM

I can't wait to finally set up a game and play! Those poor cats will have no way to destroy my board and counters.  8)

So you'd think. Where there is a cat there is a way  ;D