GrogHeads Forum

Tabletop Gaming, Models, and Minis => Wargaming => Topic started by: Staggerwing on February 05, 2017, 04:02:21 PM

Title: Kaiser's Pirates
Post by: Staggerwing on February 05, 2017, 04:02:21 PM
I saw a copy of this for sale for under $30 inc/ shipping. Anyone here have it? Should I get it? How does it play? How is the solitaire play?

There's also a P500 reprint in the works at GMT for $34 but I've no idea when it will get printed and ship.
Title: Re: Kaiser's Pirates
Post by: Nefaro on February 06, 2017, 07:13:37 AM
I have it.

It's okay, from what little I've experienced of it.  One of those games where every player has both attacker and defender (raiders & merchants) cards.  You play action cards from your hand to attack/defend your opponents, and sometimes roll dice to determine exact effects.

The setup kinda reminds me of the old Atlantic Storm (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/259/atlantic-storm) but instead of having a more traditional trick-taking "highest suit value wins" method, it uses action cards (which are a bit more appropriate to the theme) to help/hinder your attacks & die rolls against specific ship/raider cards in front of each player to sink & score points.

I played the solitaire game once or twice.  It's a bit different from the multi-player game in that you remove a few specific actions cards, and perhaps run the round a bit differently.  As far as solitaire games go, I have plenty other more interesting ones I'd rather break out.  It doesn't stand out for that; I think it's likely more enjoyable as a multi-player game.

It doesn't have some amazing narrative or anything.  But it's a fairly light card game with which you can sink some friends.  I suppose the Beer & Pretzel moniker would apply.
Title: Re: Kaiser's Pirates
Post by: Staggerwing on February 06, 2017, 08:10:41 AM
Thanks Nef. I decided to let the game slide for now. I can still always get in on the P500 in the future.
Title: Re: Kaiser's Pirates
Post by: ArizonaTank on February 06, 2017, 09:01:02 AM
It was a great "filler" game at the game club.  When the main game ended early and you still had a group and 2 hours left. 

But yes, beer and pretzels.  Not something I would typically play solo however.