GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Phantom on February 22, 2017, 02:18:03 PM

Title: Paradox Bundle Sale
Post by: Phantom on February 22, 2017, 02:18:03 PM
Some good bargains here, particularly on some older tiles...

https://www.bundlestars.com/en/games?page=1&publishers=Paradox%20Interactive&sale=true

Title: Re: Paradox Bundle Sale
Post by: glen55 on February 22, 2017, 06:41:02 PM
Quote from: Phantom on February 22, 2017, 02:18:03 PM
Some good bargains here, particularly on some older tiles...

https://www.bundlestars.com/en/games?page=1&publishers=Paradox%20Interactive&sale=true

Seeking impressions from owners of:

(1) Cities:Skylines and

(2) Naval War: Arctic Circle.

TIA!  :peace:
Title: Re: Paradox Bundle Sale
Post by: mirth on February 22, 2017, 06:45:06 PM
Naval War: Arctic Circle is a broken game that was abandoned by the devs. It had promise as a spiritual successor to Jane's Fleet Command, but there are major bugs the devs never fixed, AFAIK.
Title: Re: Paradox Bundle Sale
Post by: jamus34 on February 22, 2017, 06:52:34 PM
Cities Skylines is a strong title - pretty much it was everything the most recent SimCity was not and the mods that are out there can fix a lot of the shortcomings.
Title: Re: Paradox Bundle Sale
Post by: jomni on February 22, 2017, 07:11:50 PM
Skylines is pretty good.
Naval War has no feature to you to save mid game. This makes the game quite unplayable in the long run.
Title: Re: Paradox Bundle Sale
Post by: mirth on February 22, 2017, 07:20:24 PM
Oh lord. I had forgotten about the lack of save. Painful.
Title: Re: Paradox Bundle Sale
Post by: Staggerwing on February 22, 2017, 09:46:36 PM
Sad!
Title: Re: Paradox Bundle Sale
Post by: fogborne on February 23, 2017, 01:52:46 AM
Nice. I got myself a few too. Thanks.
Title: Re: Paradox Bundle Sale
Post by: Rayfer on February 23, 2017, 09:07:08 AM
What about March of Eagles? 
Title: Re: Paradox Bundle Sale
Post by: Greybriar on February 23, 2017, 09:33:21 AM
Quote from: Rayfer on February 23, 2017, 09:07:08 AM
What about March of Eagles?
Sad to say I bought it and never got around to installing it. :-[ Metacritic (http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/march-of-the-eagles) gave it a 71 Metascore and a 6.9 User Score. Here's a YouTube video that may be helpful:


As for the other games in the special, I suggest buying the older collections that include all the expansions/DLC. I would have recommended a complete Warlock: Master of the Arcane but I do not see it in Bundle Stars' offerings.

As for me, I am still holding out for Hearts of Iron IV and all its DLC for 75% off.
Title: Re: Paradox Bundle Sale
Post by: glen55 on February 23, 2017, 12:37:35 PM
Thanks, guys. I was getting ready to grab NW:AC.
Title: Re: Paradox Bundle Sale
Post by: sandman2575 on February 23, 2017, 02:05:55 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on February 23, 2017, 09:07:08 AM
What about March of Eagles?

I'd stay away. March of the Eagles is little more than the semi-aborted brainchild of Pdox's very short-lived collaboration with AGEOD. It was supposed to be the sequel to Napoleon's Campaigns. Instead, the two parted ways, and Pdox, in an apparent effort to salvage something from the wreckage, released MOTE -- never really supported it afterward and certainly never built upon it with expansions or DLC. AGEOD has since come out with their own follow-up to Nap's Campaigns.

One gets the sense Pdox would just as soon sweep MOTE under the rug and forget it ever happened.
Title: Re: Paradox Bundle Sale
Post by: Cyrano on February 23, 2017, 04:12:20 PM
I'm going to go to bat for MoTE as I did in a Grogcast a little while ago.

Whatever it's lineage -- and I did not know of all that Ageod kerfluffle, fascinating -- it's one of my favorite Paradox titles and not just because it's the only one dedicated to the Little Corporal.

What the game does is strip away a lot of the socio-economic layer from EUIV and create a nearly pure military simulation.  Trade, diplomacy, infrastructure, &c., is far less important than building your army and pursuing different layers of military doctrine.  Now, I cannot say I've ever fully grokked the nuances of what effect "x" has over effect "y", except in the most general terms, but I've got a loy of hours into it and have enjoyed it.

It's particularly fun in MP, especially for whoever grabs the Russians and brings their chaos hordes from the East.

I wildly prefer it to Ageod's latest Napoleonic level which, for me, proved utterly broken.

In my own mind, well worth the price offered.

Title: Re: Paradox Bundle Sale
Post by: steve58 on February 23, 2017, 04:41:38 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on February 23, 2017, 09:07:08 AM
What about March of Eagles? 
Quote from: sandman2575 on February 23, 2017, 02:05:55 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on February 23, 2017, 09:07:08 AM
What about March of Eagles?

I'd stay away. March of the Eagles is little more than the semi-aborted brainchild of Pdox's very short-lived collaboration with AGEOD. It was supposed to be the sequel to Napoleon's Campaigns. Instead, the two parted ways, and Pdox, in an apparent effort to salvage something from the wreckage, released MOTE -- never really supported it afterward and certainly never built upon it with expansions or DLC. AGEOD has since come out with their own follow-up to Nap's Campaigns.

One gets the sense Pdox would just as soon sweep MOTE under the rug and forget it ever happened.

If you really want March of Eagles, wait a while.  It can be found for about $1 every now and then...
Title: Re: Paradox Bundle Sale
Post by: MetalDog on February 23, 2017, 07:04:13 PM
I'd buy that for a dollar!  Especially since Cyrano said he would be quite glad to teach me how to play.
Title: Re: Paradox Bundle Sale
Post by: sandman2575 on February 23, 2017, 08:55:03 PM
Good to get a decidedly less cynical perspective on MOTE from Cyrano. Myself, I haven't touched (or installed) MOTE in years, as I couldn't get over the feeling that the game was simply half-baked and stripped-down -- a shell of a usual Paradox grand strategy game.  But I'm glad to hear some of us grogs have gotten genuine enjoyment from it.